BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Andy Cole

In one of the English newspapers today, The Sunday People, after criticising Dwight Yorke, Souness was quoted as saying: "I only want to have hard-working players at the club now"

It makes you wonder if Souness is implying that black players in general don't work hard.

Thats stupid...... but as far as his and the clubs experiences with Cole and Yorke are concerned anyone could well be forgiven for forming that opinion! Those two have certainly never done much in their time here to dispel or disprove such an opinion have they? Playing together they were always so close that they could hold hands, running wide or running down the channels seemed so often to be beneath them.

Just shows how ridiculous the remunerations in football have become when Cole refuses to work with a boss who is paying him £55000 per week ffs!

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

neophox - are you completely sure of what you're implying here. God I hate bandwagoneering pseudo-Leftie comments like that almost as much as I hate racism itself. Talk about looking for something that's not there - if you heard hooves beating in the distance I bet you'd cry zebra.

withstupid.gifwithstupid.gifwithstupid.gif

On the subject of Cole, I'm really disappointed that he's gone. 27 goals in 30 months isn't exactly a fantastic record, but a player that can finish like he can is never worth binning. Of course if his relationship with Souness really has become untenable (for whatever reason) then I suppose he had to go. The only real plus point I can dig out of this is that there is now £60,000 (allegedly) not being used every week. The club could pay three players weekly wages with that and still be saving money. A striker now has to be a signing priority.

Edited by Radagast

A rare contribution ........

edit - Paul McGarry's provocative post has been removed by mods so this became meaningless

Edited by Tris

I think that ultimately it's a good thing that Cole is on the way out. For all his undoubted talent and ability he rarely worked as hard as he could have and he definitely was not great for team morale. I am sorry to see him go but our team is more focussed without big-name players dreaming of their glory days.

Oh and Neophyx, i ordered a black coffee today but the silly cow at Starbucks brought me one with milk instead. Do you think this means that Souness is racist? tongue.gif

Oh and Neophyx, i ordered a black coffee today but the silly cow at Starbucks brought me one with milk instead. Do you think this means that Souness is racist? tongue.gif

samtheozzy...... I'm with Joey big nose here.

Jesus I know that you are having a laugh but I'm not really sure that's in good taste.

Is there any need to say anything like that that might upset some poor innocent mad cows? Is there really?

A rare contribution Paul.

You just here to stir things up ? No opinoins on the comings and goings that are shaping the future of our club ?

No ?? So why break the silence just to try and cause a row ?

Afraid its just his way Tris. He appears to have a grudge against me. I think its something to do with him once mistakingly thinking that I was guilty of making some sort of ungentlemanly overtures to his missus! thumbs-up.gif

So maybe after all this time allow me to take this opportunity to clear this up and assure all members, mods, admin and most importantly macca himself by categorically stating that I view most active members on here as kindred spirits and that I can assure him that no offence was ever intended........In fact I can confirm to all that I'd rather suck worms than do anything at all and in any way improper with Mrs Macca. ohmy.gif

There will that public apology suffice Paul? Can we be friends now?

[in fact I can confirm to all that I'd rather suck worms than do anything at all and in any way improper with Mrs Macca. ohmy.gif

There will that public apology suffice Paul?   Can we be friends now?

surely she doesn't look that bad

we all have different tastes, I'm sure she's lovely

Edited by chris

Jesus I know that you are having a laugh but I'm not really sure that's in good taste.

Is there any need to say anything like that that might upset some poor innocent mad cows? Is there really?

Quite right. I apologise unreservedly for my slight against silly cows. Although i feel my original comment was taken out of context I should never have made such a hateful slur against silly cows. The contribution of silly cows to our way of life over the years has been tremendous and it was remiss of me to paint them in the way that i did. Again I apologise and I hope that in the future the wounds between us will heal.

[in fact I can confirm to all that I'd rather suck worms than do anything at all and in any way improper with Mrs Macca. ohmy.gif

There will that public apology suffice Paul?   Can we be friends now?

surely she doesn't look that bad

we all have different tastes, I'm sure she's lovely

Now now Chris stop twisting my words. You know what I really mean.

In one of the English newspapers today, The Sunday People, after criticising Dwight Yorke, Souness was quoted as saying: "I only want to have hard-working players at the club now"

It makes you wonder if Souness is implying that black players in general don't work hard.

Plus, of course, we should remember that Souness used to have a moustache. You know, like Hitler.

Jeez...

Coupled with the fact that he manages a team called "Blackburn".

Says it all really doesn't it?

I'm outta here...

ph34r.gif

Thought this was very interesting.

Souness has admitted it was a mistake in signing both Cole and Yorke. I don’t agree with this in my opinion, signing Yorke was a mistake, not Cole.

Cole’s goals were hugely important in the first season he was here, without them I don’t think we would be in the position that we were in.

Financially, spending £9M on two players and letting them go, is a mistake, as we really haven’t gained much from it.

I seem to remember Souness praising Cole quite a bit when he was first here……

Souness blasts strike pair

Those comments strike me as Souness is just trying to say something to the press because he's disappointed about how things have turned out. I wouldn't think that he really believes they were both mistakes.

Cole, despite costing a lot of money did make an impact at Rovers. He scored the goals which kept us in the Premierleague, he scored the goal to win us the Worthy Cup. In the second half of last season, he was possibly our best player, or one of them.

Likewise with Yorke. The season before last he was our leading scorer, and he got a few last year too. He wasn't a major sucess but he scored a few goals so he wasn't a mistake.

The problem really with them both wasn't thier football, it was their attitudes. It clashed with Souness' and people who do that rarely win. I'm not that bothered that we spent £7m and £2m on them but left for nothing, because they did do a job for us. And at the time of buying Cole - who else would have made the same impact.

Cole, despite costing a lot of money did make an impact at Rovers. He scored the goals which kept us in the Premierleague, he scored the goal to win us the Worthy Cup. In the second half of last season, he was possibly our best player, or one of them.

I think Souness has always said that Cole did "enough", its just for 7 million 50 grand a week Souness wanted "more" consistently and told Cole.

The wording Souness has shown in the last few days tells me Cole was a bad apple, freeing up 4 million and a player who has not set the world on fire lately could be a blessing long term, well thats the optimistic viewpoint.

Souness deserves a chance now, I think he almost has everything he wants. I would say 9 position are filled, leaving an extra striker and CM(depending on the form of Flitty and Thompson).

A Brief History

Graeme Souness, December 29, 2001: "I am absolutely delighted to have signed Andy. I've said all season that the thing we have missed is someone who is a goalscorer and, in Andy, we've gone for the very best. It would be hard for us to make a better signing. I'm really happy."

Graeme Souness, July 26, 2002: "Dwight is a player I have targeted for some time and it is tremendous news he has signed for us today. I am delighted. He is a top quality player with a proven track record who can only be an asset as we look to go forward."

The Times, January 6, 2003: 'Graeme Souness, the Blackburn manager, believes Yorke’s intelligence will see him emulate Teddy Sheringham and become one of football’s elder statesman.'

Graeme Souness, July 19, 2004: "The Yorke-Cole thing disappoints me because I'm the man who went to my board and spent the supporters' hard-earned money. From now on I only want to work with men. I am not interested in having babies around."

A Brief History

Graeme Souness, December 29, 2001: "I am absolutely delighted to have signed Andy. I've said all season that the thing we have missed is someone who is a goalscorer and, in Andy, we've gone for the very best. It would be hard for us to make a better signing. I'm really happy."

Graeme Souness, July 26, 2002: "Dwight is a player I have targeted for some time and it is tremendous news he has signed for us today. I am delighted. He is a top quality player with a proven track record who can only be an asset as we look to go forward."

The Times, January 6, 2003: 'Graeme Souness, the Blackburn manager, believes Yorke’s intelligence will see him emulate Teddy Sheringham and become one of football’s elder statesman.'

Graeme Souness, July 19, 2004: "The Yorke-Cole thing disappoints me because I'm the man who went to my board and spent the supporters' hard-earned money. From now on I only want to work with men. I am not interested in having babies around."

i do remember Souness saying that a striker peaks between 30-32 yrs old, I thought that was a silly comment, maybe we should have seen the Yorke situation coming.

the main thing for me is this....souey got together one of the most feared striker partnerships for it's era, and in no way, shape or foam should be slagged off for trying to ressurect that at ewood park. he tried and it did not work...fair enough.

it is one of them things that at least the guy is prepared to give it a shot....and not sit in the corner too afraid to try anything.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.