Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Andy Cole

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please quantify "the 'disasters' of last season"

Where's your evidence that Souness has "changed very little"

Why do you think Lopez is / might be / would be .. better than Yorke ?

Why don't you offer to pay Lopez's wages ?  Or suggest some sensible schemes whereby our club could raise that money ?

Which managers in the Premier League DO YOU RATE ????

Please make a list of all the money Souness has wasted HERE -->

Just for balance, list his sales (including Blake and Egil) HERE  -->

And as a tie break (I've sent this to Souey as well - we're judging your reply against his in Blues after the West Brom game) - only fair ...

what have you won in football ....................................

(2)                                            .....................................

You're obviously on a wind up with your " Souness can do no wrong" crusade Tris but just to play devil's advocate:

1) 10 home defeats.

2) Inability to put a personal feud with Cole aside and work together for the good of the club

3) + 4) agreed

5) irrelevant

6) Grabbi £7m, Yorke £2m, Gresko £3m, Reid £2.5m, Mahon £1m (and on last season's form Emerton £2.5m and Amoruso, if he doesn't prove to be less injury prone, £1.5m)

You've never had a good word to say about Cole so by your criteria buying someone for £7m and releasing them 2 and a half seasons later is another £7m written off.

Total £26.5m. (+Greer, Yeldell, wages for Baggio)

7) Sales - what sales? £2m profit on Bent otherwise the only 2 worthwhile sales he's made were of players he inherited, not purchased.

8) I didn't win anything in football last season. So we're exactly equal there.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

Wahey, another pi55ed up post from Tris. This is fun. Can we all answer the questions?

Which managers in the Premier League DO YOU RATE ????

Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho, Curbishley, Allardyce. If Villa have another good season I'd add O'Leary to the list.

by.

All of whom would of course walk miles over broken glass to come and work for the Rovers?

Maybe it not just Tris that posts when pisssed up eh Scotty? smile.gif

I think no one on here thinks that Souey is perfect but time and again the GS detractors are asked to propose a replacement and time and again they come up with nowt remotely feasible!

They put rubbers on the end of pencils because everybody makes mistakes sometime. Anybody on here who has never dropped a bollock at work is a liar, football managers are just more in the public eye. As for him making transfer mistakes.......... which manager does'nt? The only one that I can think of with the best record in that direction is Curbishley and thats cause he never has had owt much to spend. Ferguson has bought plenty of costly duck eggs and so has Wenger, Allardyce and O'Leary whilst Mourinho is too new in the job to judge. As for 2 Robsons, Maclaren, Reid and bloody Houllier ffs.....Jeez!

If BRFC are in the bottom 3 by Nov then maybe its time to change but at the moment we need to show more optimism. The game ebbs and flows all the time. I hope that last year was the deepest slump that we see for some time but nobody can count on that.

Football is changing fast, the finances are going out of kilter. Now that transfers have finally been consigned to the history books by all but a few mega rich clubs there is little money in circulation to spend on basic 'housekeeping' eg developing grounds, facilities and youth development. All ours and Murdochs dosh is being invested in the stock market for the ridiculously out-of-touch-with-the-real-world players! We are a poor club at this level and we are struggling for support and that is hardly helped by such widespread pessimism. Jeez the fact that we lost lots of home games but survived in the top division would have been viewed with incredulity 15 years ago! I'd have given my right arm for on season at the top after the Palace play off never mind a decade and a half! Like it or not we are punching well above our weight in the world of football so ffs sake lets all get real! Too many contributers to this board are simply taking this period in our history too much for granted!

Just stop and think about it will you all and please concentrate on generating some enthusiasm in and around the town! Otherwise as in all things in this life we will inevitably and simply end up with what we deserve.

You can tell there's no mods awake

Everyone's making hay while the sun shines

Could go on 'til the cows come home this ....

The mod from Hereford would have locked it before now.

Ooops it's catching.

Unlike Cole, this topic is going no where.

Locked before Bob Flemming and Sox start lowering the tone smile.gif

....All of whom would of course walk miles over broken glass to come and work for the Rovers.....Otherwise as in all things in this life we will inevitably and simply end up with what we deserve.

Amen.

You might be an annoying bigoted idiot, but there is the truth. smile.gif

All of whom would of course walk miles over broken glass to come and work for the Rovers?

Maybe it not just Tris that posts when pisssed up eh Scotty? smile.gif

I think no one on here thinks that Souey is perfect but time and again the GS detractors are asked to propose a replacement and time and again they come up with nowt remotely feasible!

I was as sober as a judge Theno. I'm never drinking again after Germany. wink.gif

I'd say Curbishley and Allardyce are feasible, and I should have added Dowie to the list as well. Anyway, the question only asked which Premiership managers I rated. If you asked me to name a replacement for Souness right now I'd suggest Strachan.

As for the rest of your post, I'll be optimistic on here when I feel optimistic. Whether we're punching above our weight or not there was no excuse for some of the things that happened last season and I haven't seen anything yet this summer to start feeling better about the coming season.

Surely the club and the supporters should have ambition - not just simply be happy that we're in the Premiership. Otherwise that's a sure-fire way of making sure we're not in the Premiership sooner rather than later.

I'd say Curbishley and Allardyce are feasible,

Feasible? If the FA have any sense (extremely doubtful) I expect one of those two will be the next England manager! If its Big Sam then Curbs can cherry pick his next appointment from virtually any club in the div. Why the hell would either of them take a lateral (or even downward) step?

I actaully have a whole heap of respect for andy cole, arguably our best player last year ( second half of season) -

I think it was rev who said, "now we will get the full story" (or words to that effect) when andrew left.

I had a sneeking suspicion that we wouldnt, and that has turned out to be the case...

Coley appears to be above getting in to a slanging match, the *Man* just wants to get on with his football...

Cole won't argue with Souy

People can say what they want, i know he was on a lot of money, but i certainly dont put andy cole in the mercenry bracket of footballers, he appears to actaully care about the game, and playing it.

Rich.

Otherwise as in all things in this life we will inevitably and simply end up with what we deserve.

Amen.

You might be an annoying bigoted idiot, but there is the truth. smile.gif

I think that you must be mistaking me for someone else JBN.

Football is changing fast, the finances are going out of kilter. Now that transfers have finally been consigned to the history books by all but a few mega rich clubs there is little money in circulation to spend on basic 'housekeeping' eg developing grounds, facilities and youth development. All ours and Murdochs dosh is being invested in the stock market for the ridiculously out-of-touch-with-the-real-world players!

There's an interesting article on Soccernet commentating on what looks to be the slow death (or at least fall in popularity) of transfer fees in football. While transfer fees seem to be in decline though, wages at the highest level remain sky-high.

Counting the cost

Lots of sports don't have transfer fees, or at least not on a wide scale. So it's no unthinkable that they could be reserves only for the real big names, or the big leagues.

You can have quite an interesting argument about the concept of 'proven quality' and the way it is used to justify the exorbitant wages pais out to the top bracket of footballers. Sure the very best have talent allied with the right, hopefully, attitude but I think there has been too much emphasis put upon an inate superiority of these individuals over their collegues.

The value of confidence should not be underestimated and I would personally say that hordes of talented youngstaers who could flourish into 'stars' fall by the wayside by never being given the backing or lacking the self belief to develop.

The footballing world is held to randsom by its own belief that their are only a few who can become the best. I would say that the resources are infinately larger than that, and if more confidence was shown in their abilites then a major problem would be solved.

I would admit it is a hard theory to test, but the efforts of Greece this year and teams such as Bayer Leverkusen two years bak which had faith in themselves show 'proven quality' being always superior is at least partly a myth.

ps. TND, sorry about that- being a bit cranky.

Edited by joey_big_nose

Damn, all our meat/cow references look ridiculous and lame in this merged thread. I swear they were amusing or at least whimsical when we first posted them!

EDIT: What the hell?!? I used the word Jes-us (minus the dash) and it changed it to "thats blasphemy". Which card carrying member of the PC police thought that up?

Edited by samtheozzy

EDIT: What the hell?!? I used the word Jes-us (minus the dash) and it changed it to "thats blasphemy".  Which card carrying member of the PC police thought that up?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, thats worrying if we've stooped that low into the PC world rolleyes.gif

edit: Jebus Chr-ist is changed to hmmmmmmmmmmmm. What a joke. blink.gif

Edited by Tom Pringle

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.