BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Andy Cole

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know (or have an idea) if any fee was involved with the Cole transfer (seen either undisclosed or free in the press). And whether we had to pay him off (as he was due a loyality bonus at the end of the season).

Thanks

P.S. Sorry - I have been away for a while - and don't have time to go through all the related threads. smile.gif

There was mention of a small fee in some of the reports, however Chris Coleman has just said how happy he was to get Cole on a free so it isn't quite sure. If there was a fee it'd likely be a miniscule one, maybe just to cover the legal costs of Rovers.

We can talk about whether it is a good move or a bad move on here until the cows come home.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just read an article in "When Saturday Comes" that states Blackburn Rovers are still paying half of Andy Cole's £60,000 per week wages whilst he's at Fulham. This is due to Cole agreeing to waive the extra monies due to him in the final year of his contract.

Surely that isn't true. Surely? Someone please tell me that we're not paying our best player to play for one of our rivals.

This is very interesting. I have just been told now by one of my friends about this and he wasn't happy at all about it. Some people may disagree with me but i think we are going to do much better this year without him, but this is besides the point about his wages, if this 50/50 thing is happening then GS must be out of his mind its more like a loan deal than a transfer move. All Andy Cole is, he's a money grabber he only plays football not for the love of it just for the financial side of it, if he had any what people call "passion" for Blackburn then he would have been against this and either carried on playing for us or just though forget it i will leave without my cheque. I hope he gets a hostile reception against us and he has a nightmare because quite frankely he is a joke.

Andrew Cole was an excellent player for us for most of the time he was with us. If we are indeed paying some of his salary it shows the desperate straits we were in when we went to sign him. Unfortunately he found it impossible to work for his boss-a lot of employees of the club seemed to have found the same problem- and he's moved on. I shall be applauding him on his return.

common denominator being

that not one of those so called professional players who earn massive wages could comprehend the fact that not one of them were bigger or better than the man who is employed to run the football team - THE MANAGER.

falling out is part of every day life. But it takes a better person to leave it when its finished with, as in the case of gillespie and Hignett they decided to take it to the press, dunn did very much the same.

There are babies around, in the mould of yorke and cole, who have both been heavily pampered in the world of football. They have certainly not earned their cash the hard way with lots of hard work, guts or determination more the case of having it put on a plate for them.

at Arsenal cole couldnt hack being behind the likes of Alan Smith who was a grafter so he buggered off.

At Newcastle he had scotty sellars laying the ball off for him at his feet. If he could shoot straight then he would have scored 50 never mind 30 !

At manure he had the likes of giggs,scholes, cantona and yorke to put the ball in for him, again if he could have shot straight he would have outscored the magnificent Shearer 10 fold.

At Rovers he had Duffer for a year or so. He still managed to miss 3 out of 5 chances (and thats being genorous), before realising that at a club like ROVERS every single player has to graft for his living. Maybe a few more players have picked up the message that lazy bone idle motherf***ers will not be tolerated at the club.

IMo this season will be much better, the fact he has gone will bring this team together. okay Stead,Gally and Dickov may not be the most attractive threesome but they can all score, they all know the meaning of hard work and thats half the job done. If the likes of De Pedro and Emerton can pull the trigger then there are goals in this squad.

Cole ? who are you who are you ? tinykit.gif

Wonderful, wonderful post 1864!

Cole had some good times at Rovers, but in my opinion overall he was disappointing.

Last season's goal return from Cole was quite frankly embarrasing, so much so that I can't even remember how many he scored - 9 or 11? - still rubbish.

In fact I'm confident that at least two of our strikers will outscore the

foremost hands on hipster (thanks Bryan).

Andrew Cole was an excellent player for us for most of the time he was with us. If we are indeed paying some of his salary it shows the desperate straits we were in when we went to sign him. Unfortunately he found it impossible to work for his boss-a lot of employees of the club seemed to have found the same problem- and he's moved on. I shall be applauding him on his return.

MOST of the time? Surely you jest.

A lot of employees? Some I would say. ALL of them had one or two common denominators. Namely an unwillingness to graft and a lack of team discipline.

Now of those disgruntled employees who have left, just how many have gone on to do well. With the exception of perhaps Damien Johnson, not a single solitary one of them. I'd bet dollars to donuts Coles warming the pine more than he is on the pitch.

If Souness hadn't signed him we would have been relegated and probably would not have Won the worthington Cup and got us into Europe. And why did Souness have to sign him and put the Club into the red-because he had wasted nearly £7,000,000 on a striker who contributed nothing to the club.Cole also contributed a great deal to our staying up last season as well as to the development of young Stead-it will be interesting to see how well he does this season without Cole's contribition.For those contributors who see Souness as a strong manager and admire him greatly, you're welcome to your opinion. What I see is a man who buys poorly,is inconsistent with team selection,poor on tactics and who won't praise a player he has fallen out with even though that player has worked his socks off and deserves to be man of the match.Plus ca change.

I wonder how long this will last: (sorry about the cut and paste but it's one eyebrow-raising paragraph in a generally uninteresting match report):

Fulham 2 Feyenoord 2

"Cole embarked on a fantastic run on 62 minutes that took him from the half way line to the edge of the penalty area, unfortunately his pass to Jensen was cut out by the last defender. It was a fine piece of play from the forward who, along with Collins John, was continually active - closing down defenders and chasing the ball throughout. " Fulhamfc.com

Well, if it lasts for the whole season (or at least a substantial portion of it), it will certainly make Souness look stupid.

Then again, Souness has (up to now) not been wrong when letting players go who he thinks are past it... I just hope Cole isn't his first mistake.

I wonder how long this will last: (sorry about the cut and paste but it's one eyebrow-raising paragraph in a generally uninteresting match report):

Fulham 2 Feyenoord 2

"Cole embarked on a fantastic run on 62 minutes that took him from the half way line to the edge of the penalty area, unfortunately his pass to Jensen was cut out by the last defender. It was a fine piece of play from the forward who, along with Collins John, was continually active - closing down defenders and chasing the ball throughout. " Fulhamfc.com

did he score though?

dicov will chase defenders more than cole ever did.

Fulham 2 Feyenoord 2

Cole did that all last season, its nothing new.

Fulham 2 Feyenoord 2

did he score though?

dicov will chase defenders more than cole ever did.

so what, Andy is still a different class to Dickov just look at their careers

If Souness hadn't signed him we would have been relegated and probably would not have Won the worthington Cup and got us into Europe. And why did Souness have to sign him and put the Club into the red-because he had wasted nearly £7,000,000 on a striker who contributed nothing to the club.Cole also contributed a great deal to our staying up last season as well as to the development of young Stead-it will be interesting to see how well he does this season without Cole's contribition.For those contributors who see Souness as a strong manager and admire him greatly, you're welcome to your opinion. What I see is a man who buys poorly,is inconsistent with team selection,poor on tactics and who won't praise a player he has fallen out with even though that player has worked his socks off and deserves to be man of the match.Plus ca change.

I agree with you on the staying up and cup bit, I have stated those exaxt words myself in the past. My point is you make it sound as though Cole was always this way with us. From the end of the Worthy cup season to the last handful of games last season he did little to impress and vastly under acheived.

Just how much has Cole had to do with Steads development. I say it's visa versa, young Stead getting here finally made Cole pull his socks up a bit.

I was not aware we were doing ANOTHER anti Souness thing I thought this was about Cole.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.