BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Andy Cole

I wonder how long this will last: (sorry about the cut and paste but it's one eyebrow-raising paragraph in a generally uninteresting match report):

Fulham 2 Feyenoord 2

"Cole embarked on a fantastic run on 62 minutes that took him from the half way line to the edge of the penalty area, unfortunately his pass to Jensen was cut out by the last defender. It was a fine piece of play from the forward who, along with Collins John, was continually active - closing down defenders and chasing the ball throughout. " Fulhamfc.com

He went on a run, well buggar me, thats it Souness screwed up. This fella was only on 50K a week and he ran from the half way line to the edge of the area, brilliant. And he was not even offside?

Funny not long ago playing for us he hit the woodwork twice and was deemed dross. Now a run makes him a world class player.

Give me 50 Grand a week and I'll run from the halfway line to the area several times in 90 minutes I can most likely lose possesion at the end of it too, if I'm not offside that is.

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how long this will last: (sorry about the cut and paste but it's one eyebrow-raising paragraph in a generally uninteresting match report):

Fulham 2 Feyenoord 2

"Cole embarked on a fantastic run on 62 minutes that took him from the half way line to the edge of the penalty area, unfortunately his pass to Jensen was cut out by the last defender. It was a fine piece of play from the forward who, along with Collins John, was continually active - closing down defenders and chasing the ball throughout. " Fulhamfc.com

Cole did that all last season, its nothing new.

Excuse me?

Did we watch the same player last season??? Cole very rarely ran at all - I'm not surprised considering the paltry £60k a week he was on.

Fulham 2 Feyenoord 2

He went on a run, well buggar me, thats it Souness screwed up. This fella was only on 50K a week and he ran from the half way line to the edge of the area, brilliant. And he was not even offside?

Funny not long ago playing for us he hit the woodwork twice and was deemed dross. Now a run makes him a world class player.

Give me 50 Grand a week and I'll run from the halfway line to the area several times in 90 minutes I can most likely lose possesion at the end of it too, if I'm not offside that is.

Very good USA!! Reminds me of a Peter Kaye sketch, although slightly different. Mrs Cole to their children, Year 2035.....

"Of course it wasn't like this when we were young and your Dad was a footballer - none of this new fangled stuff. I remember one time your Dad had to run! - all the way from the half way line! - by foot!! With a football! He even had to pass it, by foot!!, but it was cut out. All that and he was only on £50,000 a week!! I tell you you don't know your born you lot."

Anyway - Andy who?

Fulham 2 Feyenoord 2

Excuse me?

Did we watch the same player last season??? Cole very rarely ran at all - I'm not surprised considering the paltry £60k a week he was on.

The fact that you believe he was on £60k a week makes me think that even bothering to argue with you about this would be pointless.

Fulham 2 Feyenoord 2

did he score though?

dicov will chase defenders more than cole ever did.

so what, Andy is still a different class to Dickov just look at their careers

that's not in question chris.

the statement suggested that souness has messed up getting rid of andy cole & the proof was there in black and white - he made a run and lost possession.

Big deal.

• Backroom

Fulham 2 Feyenoord 2

Excuse me?

The fact that you believe he was on £60k a week makes me think that even bothering to argue with you about this would be pointless.

Ermm .. I thought he was on £60k a week too !... wasn't he ??

I was very annoyed to hear that Cole had been let go. He was our top scorer last season and a proven Premiership striker and his departure will make goals difficult to come by next year. What angers me more is that Rovers still haven't gotten rid of Dwight Yorke, who also fell out with Souness, hasn't done much since he has joined, Souness didn't see him fit for the first team for much of last season, but is still willing to keep him and pay him a fortune. The mind boggles.

I was very annoyed to hear that Cole had been let go. He was our top scorer last season and a proven Premiership striker and his departure will make goals difficult to come by next year. What angers me more is that Rovers still haven't gotten rid of Dwight Yorke, who also fell out with Souness, hasn't done much since he has joined, Souness didn't see him fit for the first team for much of last season, but is still willing to keep him and pay him a fortune. The mind boggles.

As much as I have said Cole was entirely expendable I must agree if one of them had to go it should have been Yorke.

There is more to this keeping Yorke thing than meets the eye, something has either happened, been said or the law laid down from the top. It just boggles the mind that we could just do a U-turn on this fella so quickly.

• 1 month later...

Just seen Cole's sending off against West Brom today. I suppose if your going to get a red card you might as well make sure you deserve it. He throws a looping right hook at Clement that De La Hoya would be proud of.

Digraceful. but great viewing wink.gif

What a class act Andrew Cole was for us. Even the fellow behind us who for most of last season was saying "Cole, stop being so lazy etc" is now saying-"Dickov and Stead aren't a partnership" and "Cole's 11 goals last season kept us up".

I don't know how others will react when you return but I'll give you respect and I'll appreciate what you did for us.

What a class act Andrew Cole was for us. Even the fellow behind us who for most of last season was saying "Cole, stop being so lazy etc" is now saying-"Dickov and Stead aren't a partnership" and "Cole's 11 goals last season kept us up".

I don't know how others will react when you return but I'll give you respect and I'll appreciate what you did for us.

Amen to that. Cole's class. Yes, he got sent off today but the blokes a class above. He even gets sent off spectacularly. Cracking punch up.

The first time I've seen Cole this season, looked to me as though he was playing very well indeed. A very big mistake to let him go, but the club could not have foreseen events of the last two weeks.

I disagree Paul. I think that no matter who was in charge, Cole just wasn't happy here and needed a change in scenery. It was better for both sides that he left (if you think it isn't better for us that we don't have his sulkiness, watch Dickov closely!!).

Cole has come out and said how he like the fans, players and club, just not Souey. I'm not too bothered Cole is gone, he will fade, remember he scored a few goals early on last season as well with a brace against Wolves and Chelsea. We'll see where he ends up come the end of the season, and if he hasnt scored 15+, then on his wages, the club made the right decision.

I personally feel we are missing him no question...thought we would do as soon as he left.Hypothetical, but I wonder how he would have played under Hughes? a manager who quite possibly could have understood and handled him a bit better.....

Oh well,a big thank you(not! mad.gif ) to Souness, I have no doubt the club would be in a better position with him still leading the attack.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

Andy Cole under Mark Hughes would've been revitilised but no-one could have forseen Souness' sudden departure.

I must say I've been well surprised by Cole. He's playing as a lone striker for Fulham and in my mind I always thought that such a role would be beyond him because it involves a lot of self-less running and holding the ball up.

Andy Cole under Mark Hughes would've been revitilised but no-one could have forseen Souness' sudden departure.

I must say I've been well surprised by Cole. He's playing as a lone striker for Fulham and in my mind I always thought that such a role would be beyond him because it involves a lot of self-less running and holding the ball up.

Where is Collins John playing then? At fullback?

In some remote corner of rover 6's imagination.

Has Coleman been reading "Souness on Tactics" ?

Before everyone goes overboard about us losing Cole and how much better we would be without him, take a look at the table. Also, while his goal helped in a 1-1 draw against West Brom, 2 other factors: 1. a 1-1 draw against West Brom was unacceptable to our fanbase; 2. his sending off helped West Brom salvage a 1-1 draw.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.