BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Andy Cole

What reception will you guys give him when Fulham visits Ewood?

If I was there, I would applaude him - after the professional way he's acted in all of this. Then, I would cheer loudly when Lucas brings him down.. wink.gif

When I go down to Fulham, I’ll applaud him and the same when he comes back to Ewood.

Cole has done nothing wrong in my opinion. Cole gave his best and that’s all you can ask for, without his goals and his contribution to other players goals I dread to think where we would be now.

Souness in my opinion is the baby, with this pathetic swipe at Cole. Both player and club have parted, so shouldn’t they be “real men” and leave it at that.

Best of luck Andy.

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I sing Cole's praises for what would be the final time I will give it a couple of weeks and see if there are any more "exclusives" with him. That was just one interview, with a reporter who was just oh so annoying.

Souness hasn't really made a swipe at Cole IMO, he only said that he's disappointed with the result of the reunion of Cole/Yorke (who isn't??) and that from now on, he wants MEN in his team, not babies.

I really think the baby-thing was directed to Yorke more than Cole, to be honest, but that's just how I see it of course..

• Backroom

Yep.. fair do's to Cole, at least he acknowledged the Blackburn fans.

Hmmm that last sentence leaves a little to be desired though... 'I just want to come down here and enjoy myself'... no mention of playing football then eh ? Andy biggrin.gifbiggrin.giftongue.gif

The Cole departure is in my mind a definate water shed. Souness up to now has broadly looked to bring in attacking players of high technical quality and flair (Cole, Yorke, Tugay, Thompson, Grabbi, even Stead to a degree). Dickov is the first real first team signing which diverts from that.

I will be amazed if I ever feel as optimistic as I did in the pre season 2002. We had a team that looked on paper as good going forward as anyones bar Arsenal and Man Utd:

Cole Yorke

Duff Dunn Tugay Thompson

Johansson (a bit weak I know!) Berg Taylor Niell

Friedel

It promised so much but failed to quite deliver its potential- life is always like that so I was perhaps wrong to get too carried away.

Still, if Dunn, Cole and Yorke had given their all then we COULD HAVE (like you could have paid more attention in school) done better than sixth- I really feel that the attitude of these players was at least partly at fault along with injuries, something which Souness has never really forgiven them for.

I give Souness credit for building a new side with a definate ethic about it but it is a shame to say that the kind of flair that the 2002/2003 posessed in abundence (more than our Championship side even) will not be seen at Ewood for a long time.

The fact of the matter is that Cole, like the other two, showed in spells what he is capable of, but I would challenge anybody who said he always did his best.

The moot point is whether a consistent Dickov is more effective than a sporadic Cole, something I will be interested to see. My faith sill remains in Souness to of got this right.

Whilst folk have, and are entitled to, their opinions, unfortunately no-one really knowns what went on behind closed doors, so no-one can say who is to blame. The bottom line is that GS is the manager and whilst in charge he should be backed by the supporters.

A club the size of Blackburn Rovers is, in all honesty, out of its depth paying wages of £55k per week and it is for the benefit of the club that Andy has left. Best wishes to him but there is now a new regime at the club, one that basically wants, and will get, value for money. Get rid of Yorke the parasite and expect more of the same. After last season it's onward and upward and sod the stay away supporters - we're all in it together and it's their loss and our gain.

It was in the LET that we hadn't gone through with the deal with Lopez because of his wage demands.

I don't see why I have to get behind a manager I don't rate and who has wasted so much money and who, despite the disasters of last season and his statement that he would take on board where he had gone wrong , appears to have changed very little.

Cole has shown a lot more maturity than both Souness and many of the posters on here who couldn't wait to slag him off.

He earned $55k/week, which I agree is far too high; but which morons agreed to pay it? The manager who was in deep sh!t when he signed him, and the amazing ex-head of Granada Studios. Don't blame Cole, blame them.

And it took Souness until recently to discover that Yorke had an inappropriate lifestyle? Great contacts there Graeme.

I agree with 92er, he hasn't learnt a thing and never will.

Interesting article at football365 that mentions Andy Cole and Dwight Yorke.

...I notice this week that Andy Cole is taking his patented fresh-air volley down to Fulham this season after, according to Souy who in my eyes can do no wrong, not being a man at Blackburn. Him and Yorke both of 'em are big babies says Souness. This is refreshing stuff. Maybe its in the Lancashire air.

I'd like more managers to be honest about their players. Stop mollycoddling the little darlings. Stop indulging their egos. Cole scored two goals in the last 11 games last year. He was pure @#/? and it deserves to be said loudly and in public. His failure as striker would have relegated Blackburn if it wasn't for Stead and a few other players who actually cared and put some effort in, doubtless for much less money.

Chris Coleman has no doubts though, or does he? Ever heard of speaking your subconscious mind? When he goes on about how great Andy is and how other players have wanted to join Fulham for' one last big pay day' but not Andy - who presumably is playing for £300 a week, you just know that he's only saying it because everyone knows one last big pay day is exactly why Cole is joining Fulham. It's like Fox News calling it's self "Fair and Balanced", seemingly because they know that it is absolutely not fair and balanced.

So let's hope if Dwight Yorke ends up down at Pompey or with Bolton and plays as badly for them as he did for Blackburn, as he probably will do, that Harry or Sam will come out and say the guy is a waste of space. Thankfully, they're more than likely to do so...

Yeah but No But Yeah But No But Yeah But No But Yeah But No But That Dwight York wuz givin that Jordan one I know But Yeah But No But Yeah and I eard that Flitty boy was after a roastin and is mate as well! and that Andy Cole is just a Baby!

This just about sums it up as well as it can be.

" He was pure @#/? and it deserves to be said loudly and in public. His failure as striker would have relegated Blackburn if it wasn't for Stead and a few other players who actually cared and put some effort in"

The whole quote was a GREAT one though, makes one think we ALL have forgotten football's roots. Personally I think that is about as close to a nail on the head as you will see and I don't really understand how any reasonably intelligent person can see it differently, I just don't, so perhaps it's time to just move on now.

As for the comments, well done Andy for not going into it..... YET, and he will, once things simmer down, if there is money to be made on the story it will be.

As for Souness' comments, off key? yes somewhat, false? no not at all. Why do so many take the coddling stance on here, have people forgotten how to be. Souness says it like he sees it is, always has, always will. Sure he will be wrong but you know what I have more time for a person like that than a sneak behind your back and report you type. Any day of the week I do and I know which I would rather have with me when the writing is on the wall. Play your cards and bugger the feelings.

So all you fishermen keep baiting your hooks and look for any old snippet with which to criticise Souness and sooner or later you will have it your way, THEN WHAT?

Edited by USABlue

Interesting article at football365 that mentions Andy Cole and Dwight Yorke.

Thanks for sharing that Sam it's a bloody great read, I can't help be echo that sentiment 100% I really can't wouldn't it be refreshing if that was the case, I think it would be.

It was in the LET that we hadn't gone through with the deal with Lopez because of his wage demands.

I don't see why I have to get behind a manager I don't rate and who has wasted so much money and who, despite the disasters of last season and his statement that he would take on board where he had gone wrong , appears to have changed very little.

Please quantify "the 'disasters' of last season"

Where's your evidence that Souness has "changed very little"

Why do you think Lopez is / might be / would be .. better than Yorke ?

Why don't you offer to pay Lopez's wages ? Or suggest some sensible schemes whereby our club could raise that money ?

Which managers in the Premier League DO YOU RATE ????

Please make a list of all the money Souness has wasted HERE -->

Just for balance, list his sales (including Blake and Egil) HERE -->

And as a tie break (I've sent this to Souey as well - we're judging your reply against his in Blues after the West Brom game) - only fair ...

what have you won in football ....................................

(2) .....................................

Why do you think Lopez is / might be / would be .. better than Yorke ?

Why don't you offer to pay Lopez's wages ? Or suggest some sensible schemes whereby our club could raise that money ?

I agree Tris. People don't do the math on these loan deals. They can be quite costly.

For instance, say the club has a cap on the wages it will pay, or if not, pick the highest paid player at the club, and use his wages as a benchmark.

Well, anything over that, over the course of the year, and you are looking at money that could fund a transfer for a player. The player would sign a contract of minimum of two years. There might be sell on value in it for the club too, for the right type of player. If the player starts doing well, you don't have the danger of losing him mid-season, as Rovers have done themselves on many occassions (Mahon anyone. I wonder if Ipswich supporters curse our name. They might consider the recall cost them a place in the Premier???).

IMO, too much credence is given to the loan deal.

From an interview with Andy Cole on Fulham official website:

SO THERE'S STILL PLENTY IN THE TANK?

Absolutely. I'm 32 but there's a lot of fire in my stomach. I had a difficult two years at Blackburn but as a result of that I've got a lot of desire. It's when that desire burns out that I've got to call it quits, but that's a long way off. I'm still loving my football and I still want to score goals.

Bullocks.... he didn't have the desire when he played for us....good he got rid.

Bullocks.... he didn't have the desire when he played for us....good he got rid.

You can repeat that till the cows come home mate. He was a quality player. Simple as.

Edited by bellamy11

Where did I say we should have signed Lopez-I was referring to an article in the LET which explained why we hadn't signed him.

I find it very interesting to see the range of emotions that Souness as a manager arouses. I don't rate him, I never have and I'm amused that an increasing number of supporters are waking up to his limitations.

I think he has wasted an awful lot of money,from the signing of Hignett to the present day.

His unequivocably good signings include Friedel, Berg and....?

A good manager should be able to improve players.

He is not very good in the transfer market-he signs too many players he has worked with before and he makes lots of mistakes.

Well, should I post it and get lots of aggravation from people who don't agree with me?Well what the heck.I've been supporting this club for a long time and I'll be supporting it for a long time in the future. What I'm not going to do is to support it blindly.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.