BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Manager is Mark Hughes

3rdpillar

Guys, please don't shoot me down here, or liken me to Hughesy.

My brother in law just called me, he has dropped his car off at Westwood Mercedes in Blackburn late this afternoon and reckons Mark Hughes was coming out of there as he walked in. Swears its true and he's normally reliable.

Can't myself see what he'd be doing in the Merc Garage, but just passing the message on.

He's probably telling the truth.

Its hardly a secret anymore, its maybe 90% certain that Mark Hughes will be rovers new manager.

Unless David Moyes has actually applied

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My brother in law just called me, he has dropped his car off at Westwood Mercedes in Blackburn late this afternoon and reckons Mark Hughes was coming out of there as he walked in. Swears its true and he's normally reliable.

Can't myself see what he'd be doing in the Merc Garage, but just passing the message on.

Looking for an umbrella ???

Looking for an umbrella ???

Wouldn't he jsut go to the all new umbrella shop? for all your wet weather needs! biggrin.gif

Maybe he wants a car to match up to steadys wink.gif

Mark Hughes has to be the choice if he wants it. He is a man who commands a lot of respect off the field as well as tons of experience in football. He's a downright gentleman who will get the best out of a mediocre squad of players.

Last nights result may just tip the balance as to be honest the manager of Wales, although a prestigious job is a job goiung nowhere simply because of the lack of Welsh players at present and coming through.

So it has to be MARK HUGHES FOR THE HOTSEAT AT EWOOD.

Whats with all this support for riff raff like Mark Hughes and Mike Newell - appointing inexperience like that is just going down the same road as a certain Mr. Kidd and look where we ended up then. Hughes couldn't even mastermind victories against Azerbanjo and Northern Ireland, plus he has no full time club management experience. Mike Newell is managing Luton at the moment which says it all. Likewise Shearer.

Sod setimentality, what we need is a manager with good technical ability who can or will possibly move the club forward in a new direction, someone with proven experience at the highest level.

To me, if Gerard Houllier applies for the job then I can't see how the board can look past such an excellent CV. Ok so things went sour at Liverpool but it was mainly media pressure that forced him out, he was doing a top job given the level of competition he faced from Arsenal, United and Chelski.

Football fans have such short memories which is why the Geordies didnt take to Souness as their board would have hoped. In Houllier we are talking about one of the most highly respected managers/coaches in Europe with a huge amount of top class Premiership, Champions League and International experience - unlike Hughes, Newell, Strachan, Walter Smith etc etc or whoever you care to mention besides Wenger, Ferguson etc

I know most Rovers fans wouldn't warm to Houllier initially but why the hell not? He did a great job at Liverpool and won lots of trophies, he was France's technical director prior to the period where they won the World Cup and the Euro's and is a top class coach. He is the man for the job if he has applied, which by all accounts he has.

Plus, the last two former Liverpool managers we appointed both won us trophies, our only successes of the last god knows how long years. Who is to say the next Anfield reject can't make it a clean sweep and bag us the FA Cup this season???!!!

Allez Allez Gerard Houllier!!

Whats with all this support for riff raff like Mark Hughes and Mike Newell - appointing inexperience like that is just going down the same road as a certain Mr. Kidd and look where we ended up then. Hughes couldn't even mastermind victories against Azerbanjo and Northern Ireland, plus he has no full time club management experience. Mike Newell is managing Luton at the moment which says it all. Likewise Shearer.

Sod setimentality, what we need is a manager with good technical ability who can or will possibly move the club forward in a new direction, someone with proven experience at the highest level.

To me, if Gerard Houllier applies for the job then I can't see how the board can look past such an excellent CV. Ok so things went sour at Liverpool but it was mainly media pressure that forced him out, he was doing a top job given the level of competition he faced from Arsenal, United and Chelski.

Football fans have such short memories which is why the Geordies didnt take to Souness as their board would have hoped. In Houllier we are talking about one of the most highly respected managers/coaches in Europe with a huge amount of top class Premiership, Champions League and International experience - unlike Hughes, Newell, Strachan, Walter Smith etc etc or whoever you care to mention besides Wenger, Ferguson etc

I know most Rovers fans wouldn't warm to Houllier initially but why the hell not? He did a great job at Liverpool and won lots of trophies, he was France's technical director prior to the period where they won the World Cup and the Euro's and is a top class coach. He is the man for the job if he has applied, which by all accounts he has.

Plus, the last two former Liverpool managers we appointed both won us trophies, our only successes of the last god knows how long years. Who is to say the next Anfield reject can't make it a clean sweep and bag us the FA Cup this season???!!!

Allez Allez Gerard Houllier!!

We're not having any garlic eating surrender monkeys at Ewood, so that's the end of that.

John Gregory wouldn't be the worst appointment in the world.

No but very nearly.

why?

At least give reasons why certain managers would be poor.

I dont have a problem with most managers we have been linked with apart from the inexperienced ones such as Hughes,Newell or Shearer

Houllier has not got a clue! He would be an awful choice! He doesn't know a good player from a bad one and insists he is the best thing since sliced bread even when his team is awful!

At least with hughes you get a big name who will attract outside support and instill faith in the team. It will give us greater player attraction and he may not have th ebest record but he has done very well with a lmited team in wales!

Houllier is worse than Souness for falling out with players - Thommo, Westerveld, Babbel, Fowler all well publicised at the time and if you speak to Liverpools fans thers a lot lot more

Bryan - I take it your list includes Baros because he didn't play him and you can add Cheyrou to that little list

Sky sports news : J.W. says we now have a very focused shortlist.

S.S.N saying they believe the shortlist consists of  3 names.

Now compare that to the way Newcastle went about hiring Souness.

I think it's clear which club is better run, by a massive distance.

Cheyrou - ouch! Any more for any more?

Edited by Bryan

Is nobody else worried by the comments of Short in the LET-  does this mean they will spit their dummies out if they don't get Hughes?

......... personally I feel the players should be banned from commenting before the appointment of a new boss.

If it's for real then the inmates will soon be running the bloody asylum! mad.gif I have never heard anything so daft! Who thinks that players would be allowed to appoint their own choice as manager anywhere else? Especially not one of their own mates.

I'm just praying that all this Hughes making positive comments, Hughes topping the let poll and Hughes being the players choice is all an elaborate bluff concocted by Williams and a willing Hughes to put everyone else of the scent whilst negotiations with the real new manager (someone I trust who possesses all the credentials and experience that Hughes doesn't) and his club are conducted and finalised in secret and in decent time.

This is all hugely important! If we dont get the right person (and that is not some ex player that we all remember with great affection for playing for us in the twilight of his career when no one else wanted him......and especially for clouting Darren Anderton at Cardiff) then we are in Div 1! sad.gif

Edited by thenodrog

I'm not 100% sure about Hughes. It's a totally different job managing an international side, than it is a club side. Just look at Peter Taylor with the under 21s. Hopeless as a club manager.

Take the international experience away from Hughes and what is left? A popular guy, who maybe could attract players with his reputation.

As for his coaching, man management or player selection/tactical qualities - totally unproven.

Thing is, name any candidate and there's a reason why we shouldn't choose him. I do think though, that if we get it wrong, it could cost us dearly this season.

Oooh, good game Bryan.

Bruno Cheyrou

Sorry, T4E/Bryan, don't wanna spoil the game but couldn't resist posting a link to this : -

Houllier's Signing's

There are a fair few corkers I'd forgotten about (as well as the rest of the professional football world, I'd imagine). Rigobert Song !?! biggrin.gif

Edited by percy

BTW, what's a very focussed short list?

They were probably using an Over Head Projector. After three hours of intense discussions by the Board, John Williams finally managed to get his short list in focus. By which time everyone had lost interest and just agreed anway before retiring to the Fox and Hounds for drinks.

That'll be it, yeah.

den - your "not 100% sure about Hughes" comment. Good. I reckon if anyone is 100% they've got the right man then they'll be problems. I doubt Arsenal were "100%" sure they had the right man when they chose Wenger. The Board will just have to go with what seems like the best man at the time I'd suggest.

LET

Mark Hughes the players' preference and the overwhelming favourite of the fans who eexpressed a preference to the Telegraph.

It says that Strachan has applied.

Fans favourite, until he flops and then 95%of those will say they never wanted him in the first place. No Mark Hughes PLeeeeeese.

There isnt an obvious candidate who presents himself as 100% appropiate.

Hughes is young, innovative, determined, committed, likeable. Tactically I would imagine he would be able to compete with Souness low level of aptitude and maybe even surpass it.

I am up for a bit of a risk personally. Cart him in!

den - your "not 100% sure about Hughes" comment. Good. I reckon if anyone is 100% they've got the right man then they'll be problems. I doubt Arsenal were "100%" sure they had the right man when they chose Wenger. The Board will just have to go with what seems like the best man at the time I'd suggest.

True bob, very true. BTW, don't forget Portsmouth. smile.gif