BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Manager is Mark Hughes

3rdpillar

George Graham was considered for the Newcastle job. Think he would do ok actually- however I cant see getting him being a delicate situation.

As for Hughes being too defensive or attacking, he bascially does what he can with the resources he has got.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

George Graham was considered for the Newcastle job. Think he would do ok actually- however I cant see getting him being a delicate situation.

As for Hughes being too defensive or attacking, he bascially does what he can with the resources he has got.

maybe so.

1 thing i missed out about Hughes is that its clear the players want to play for him. Which will hopefully mean we will see the best of our players which can only be good and I'd now expect them to always give 100% unlike some of the performances over the past year. Whoever the manager is, if the players want to play, we will win more than we lose.

Hughes is not my prefered choice but I will back him all the way! tinykit.gif

Edited by greggyk

1 think i missed out about Hughes is that its clear the players want to play for him.

That is precisely the reason why we should not to employ him.

Like Newcastle with GS, I fear that we may well have to settle for Hughes as a backstop if the boards preferred target(s) turn us down.

bbc rovers close in on new boss

Mark Hughes and Iain Dowie are the leading contenders for the Blackburn managerial post, BBC Sport understands

Come on Dowie! thumbs-up.gif

We need someone who can make an immediate impact on the club, look at the affect Dowie had on Oldham and Palace when he arrived. He performed minor miracles at both of these clubs...don't forget Palace were looking like relegation candidates until he arrived then he transformed them into a winning side straight away and they got promotion.

I can't believe people are using the few games this season against him...he has a poor side, they haven't spent much money. Curbishley did the same at Charlton when they got promotion, as did Megson at West Brom. If they go back down it's no disaster, they'll be financially better off and in a good position to go straight back up...if the signings pay off and they stay up then it's a bonus.

If we were picking a manager purely based on achievements then Dowie would be ahead of Hughes...I have a feeling sentiment maybe clouding our judgement somewhat. For what it's worth I think Hughes will make a good manager but it may take time, and that is time that we currently don't have...we need results now.

Dowie is the man for the job.

Could it be that Rovers have switched their sights to Dowie? I fervently hope not.

Why's that? If he keeps us up Jim he'll have done well, and if we go down he possesses the knowledege and experience of Div 1 to bring us back.

Dont know why Jim cares anyway. He said he wants that crap newcastle united asistant who was sacked and has helped achieved newcastle win eff all and failed to stop the newcastle 'brat camp' getting worse

Looks like its done and dusted. Hughes wants to come, the Board want him. Barring something extrodinary he will be our next manager.

It will just be a case of whether he takes control of those two Welsh games and indeed our match against Portsmouth on Saturday.

I will be very interested to see what kind of side he will put out. Adventurous times, and a manager Jim is happy with!

Edited by joey_big_nose

Initially I was all for Rovers going for Hughes.

However the more I think about it the more doubts creep into my mind and now I have a bad feeling in my gut about this potential appointment. No doubt Hughes has some excellent qualities but the question is does he have the necessary experience and qualities to end all the dressing room infighting and get us out of the position that we find ourselves in. Are we taking a risk by appointing someone who has potential but which is unproven at this level? All these questions have come in my head. Someone said to me that Hughes is quality and you have to "Speculate to Accumulate" but the problem is that we don't have much to Speculate with and if this doesn't work out and we go down then I really fear for the club's future. Is appointing Hughes worth taking this risk?

I've had the same initial enthusiasm quelled by doubt.

The thing that worries me most about Hughes is that some Wales fans are saying he's tactically naive and has had one alright campaign that most have over-celebrated - they didn't even qualify.

I watched the second leg against Russia and to be honest, I didn't see a team with a strong idea of how to break the opposition.

And as much as the media have hyped him up - he's had a few good games in charge - Wales' win over Italy for example, but recently the team have been shown up.

Is it down to poor tactics or the fact Hughes has a lack of decent talent at his disposal?

Some Welsh fans I heard on the radio were of the view that Hughes' one-dimensional, lump it long to Hartson playing in a 4-5-1 formation, had been found out.

I haven't seen enough of Wales to pass judgement on it, but it is a concern.

Of Dowie and Hughes, I would prefer the former on the basis of what he did with Palace last season and Oldham before that. He has the more reliable track record - although he lacks the high profile that some fans seem to be obsessed with.

If he does come, which is looking very likely now, I think what will be crucial is who he brings in with him. I think he will need somebody experienced to work alongside him.

Someone like Walter Smith would be my choice.

yes a welsh national team steeped in history and trophies !

he has made a bunch of no hopes and malingerers into a decent hardworking team. How many games has giggs cried off with other managers ? How many managers have grown tired of jobbie savage girly noknob ?

The welsh team aint blessed with brilliance.

If Hughes can instill the same hardworking ethic at Ewood then that is great cause he certainly has players with skill and flair at his disposal.

Friedel dont need improving

Matteo/Short/Nissa/Amo asd Todd can all be worked on. Hughes has done marvels with Gabbidon and co. He is more than useful at getting the best out of his wide defenders. Both Neill,Gray and Gresko can benefit big style.

In the midfield engine that where it counts. Fergie,Tugay,Flitcroft,Emerton,MGP,Thommo and co can all be worked on to their benefit.

Up front what more does Stead,Dickov,Gally,de Pedro and Jansen need when they have the ultimate goal machine with all that experience to add to their experience ?

Hughes can bring a fresh breath of air through the club, its needed to blow the rest of the souness cobwebs away. It is needed to sweep the cupboard for a new era. A new backroom set up is required as the academy and reserves are doing well. Hughes will I am sure have his own fitness coach and will whip up the players.

News of his impending appointment SHOULD give all the players the boot up the rear end for Saturday and that can only be good for BRFC.

Lets wait and see eh ?

IT'S ALL DONE AND DUSTED.

Hughes will take over after the Portsmouth match, initially on a part-time basis until Wales have found a successor. He will continue in the Wales role until then while also managing Rovers.

Mark Bowen, a member of the Wales coaching staff, will be his assistant manager, while Eddie Niedzwiecki, another Wales coach, could also follow him to Ewood.

If he does come, which is looking very likely now, I think what will be crucial is who he brings in with him. I think he will need somebody experienced to work alongside him.

According to talksport 5 mins ago he will be bringing his backroom staff with him.

Anybody got info on his backroom staff?

Looks like its done and dusted. Hughes wants to come, the Board want him. Barring something extrodinary he will be our next manager.

Not necessarily . Hughes' agent/friend sounded desperate in his pleadings to the Rovers . Surely if Rovers wanted him that bad some approach through a third party would have been made already. There's no reason why the bookies should have stopped taking bets - I'm not giving up on my money on Dowie yet ! (Strachan's still worth a couple of quid on Betfair at 28's )

Initially I was all for Rovers going for Hughes.

However the more I think about it the more doubts creep into my mind and now I have a bad feeling in my gut about this potential appointment. No doubt Hughes has some excellent qualities but the question is does he have the necessary experience and qualities to end all the dressing room infighting and get us out of the position that we find ourselves in. Are we taking a risk by appointing someone who has potential but which is unproven at this level? All these questions have come in my head. Someone said to me that Hughes is quality and you have to "Speculate to Accumulate" but the problem is that we don't have much to Speculate with and if this doesn't work out and we go down then I really fear for the club's future. Is appointing Hughes worth taking this risk?

It is an extremely tough situation and I don't envy the board having to make this decision which is going to have such a big bearing on our future.

Very good points Kamy.

We all tend to think a clever set of negotiations is going on between Hughes/Roach/FAW/BRFC.

Could the reality be that Mark Hughes is just dithering?

Re-read the LET article or even our own front page. Looks like massive indecisiveness to me. Given where we are and what the Rovers are, the appointment has to be safety first.

Mark Hughes comes with significant risk. David Moyes and Ian Dowie are far less likely to preside over the Rovers' relegation.

Yes sparky is a big name but we have got to stay in the Prem and increase our crowds by at least 10% before having a big name is the slightest bit of use to us.

IT'S ALL DONE AND DUSTED.

Hughes will take over after the Portsmouth match, initially on a part-time basis until Wales have found a successor. He will continue in the Wales role until then while also managing Rovers.

Mark Bowen, a member of the Wales coaching staff, will be his assistant manager, while Eddie Niedzwiecki, another Wales coach, could also follow him to Ewood.

repeat ad nauseum.

According to talksport 5 mins ago he will be bringing his backroom staff with him.

Anybody got info on his backroom staff?

I am not convinced that there is enough experience in his backroom staff, although Bowen was at Birmingham.

Regardless of who he brings there is no 100% ideal candidate for the job and he has as much chance as anyone else has of succeeding. He will command instant respect and will have a chance of attracting good players.

I just wish we could get him before Saturday to give the place a much needed lift.

Edited by mjs