BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Manager is Mark Hughes

3rdpillar

I'm not certain its yet 100% done and dusted, although from all the media talk its likely that he has agreed to join. I'd expect that theres a few contractual and legal matters with the FAW and Hughes himself to sort out before he actually signs anything or meets the press.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems pretty inevitable now, and I'm ready to welcome him.

Trying to figure out my personal choice as the best candiate has been making my head hurt, but Hughes was one of the ones skittering about the upper echelons of my 'list'. John Hartson please. tinykit.gif

I'm not certain its yet 100% done and dusted, although from all the media talk its likely that he has agreed to join. I'd expect that theres a few contractual and legal matters with the FAW and Hughes himself to sort out before he actually signs anything or meets the press.

That is probably the situation at present. With the key words being that he has agreed to sign. I fully expect all the formalities to be out of the way tomorrow.

USABlue... whoever is appointed is not going to be the choice of everyone on this MB - so whoever it is the board appoint I suggest you get behind him AND the club !

But if you feel THAT strongly about it... then bog off to Dingleville !!

Having calmed down, like I said in an earlier post I will support WHOEVER comes in but this one just seems so shortsighted it really narcs me. About like Glenn Hoddle might do to some others, yourself included perhaps..

I can't believe some of the negative crap being posted on here. No matter who is going to be the next manager, it would not please everyone. Now it seems done and dusted let's ALL....let me say again...ALL get behind the new manager for the good of the club we all (apparently) love.

I wonder if Derby said the same thing about Clough, Man U and Busby, Leeds and Revie

Hughes has played under the some great managers and taken a sub standard Wales squad and done very well, a little depth and they probably would've gone to Euro

I am not putting him up on the saviour podium yet but give him a chance

If Hughes takes over next week his first match will be in the Carling cup, but surley he will be here on Saturday for the match against Portsmaouth and if I remember right when Kidd took over he was supose to be a spectator at his first game but ended up jumping up and down the touchline in the second half, maybe a Hughes inspired win on Saturday

Keeping you up-to-date while you're asleep:

Hughes seeks permission from FAW to speak to blackburn

Paul Abbandonato, The Western Mail

MARK HUGHES has asked his FA of Wales bosses for official permission to speak to Blackburn about becoming their new manager.

Sources in Blackburn say the Premiership club yesterday formally approached FAW chiefs to seek their approval to interview Hughes about the vacant Ewood Park post.

The move comes after Hughes confirmed to Blackburn he was keen to become Graeme Souness' successor at Ewood Park.

The move totally contradicts misinformed speculation in the media yesterday, which emanated from quotes Hughes made last week, stating that Hughes didn't want the Blackburn post and wasn't prepared to turn his back on Wales.

And from the BBC Gossip column

Hughes will take over at Ewood Park after Gordon Strachan turned down the post and Crystal Palace boss Iain Dowie was overlooked. But Strachan is said to be waiting in the wings to take over at Manchester City. (Daily Mail)

And that's because City boss Kevin Keegan has had a training ground row with Danny Mills, increasing the chances of the former England boss leaving the club. (Daily Mail)

Edited by samtheozzy

Let's not forget that Souness was considered a success until last season Tchock.

But he already had plenty of experience, not only in the English top division, but from elsewhere as well. I'm just trying to justify the signing of a manager with so little experience, mostly the point about lacking experience in this division. For USABlue that is. I'm happy with the appointment myself.

This is not my work, i'm simply translating a previous post.

As for sources, you'll have to ask BRSCN's leader. I think he is a member of this forum too, but cant remember his nick though.

On the BRSCN site he claims to be well connected and have had this news confirmed.

Don't get me wrong - I do believe you and BRSCN! Cheers!

Bjarte = PennyDuff wrote the story

First this really intelligent young man from Norway is breaking the news that Morten Gamst Pedersen had signed a 4year deal with Blackburn Rovers, and now another Norwegian makes the official announcement that Mark Hughes is our new manager!

(All this while the people living a block from Ewood don't have a clue dry.gif )

Thats two in a row for the norwegians!

rover.gif

Personally I wouldn't doubt Bjarte's belief this story is true BUT there is evidence to suggest it's unlikely:

1. Dennis Roach was on BBC Five Live at 4.00pm yesterday issuing a "come and get me" plea on Hughes's behalf http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ers/3655384.stm

2. The above clearly indicated Rovers had NOT spoken to the FAW, Roach or, crucially, Hughes.

3. If he signed at 8.30pm - just 4 hours later - it would suggest that:

• Rovers made an illegal approach to Hughes and this is now a cover up operation
  • Rovers made a decision to employ Hughes WITHOUT interviewiing him - unlikely
  • Hughes is not the first choice and JW is moving rapidly to make progress

If Roach's statement at 4.00pm is accurate and we gave Hughes a job four hours later it worries the life out of me about the competency of our board.

I'd be most inclined to believe option 1 Paul. Rovers will have already spoken to Hughes before going through the process of requesting permission from the Welsh FA. It saves time as they would then know if he was interested and what his plans were.

Do you think Newcastle requested permission to talk to Souness? As for taking everything his agent said as accurate, if an agent said it was raining i'd go outside and check.

I heard Roache interviewed on Five Live at about 4.30pm yesterday and he sounded quite desperate that his man did not miss the boat.

He indicated that neither he, Hughes or the FAW had been contacted by Rovers and he was mustard keen to redress this before the job went to someone else.

The pleading in his voice suggested Williams was not returning his calls. Either that or negotiations had taken place and he's a damn fine actor.

I've rarely heard an interview with someone so clearly desperate that his boy gets the job.

If Rovers had not made an approach at that stage (and presumably Hughes' contract forbids him from courting a new job: hence his agent's role), doesn't that tell us Hughes was/is not first choice?

The Daily Mail are reporting that Hughes will be our new manager after Strachan turned the job down. They say that old carrot top is waiting for developments at Man City with a view to taking over if Keegan goes.

But hey, it is the Daily Mail! huh.gif

While I am crossing everything in the hope that it is Hughes, sorry to be so negative, but wasn't Venables set to take over at Newcastle the day before Souness was appointed. And in the press conference Freddy Shepard said ut was agents throwing names around.

Itt would be nice if for a change Rovers have listened to fans.

Imagine this. Hughes/Kidd partnership. tongue.gif

Very profound Bucky Rover !

The fact is that there is every chance that Hughes will be a success and this is something that we have to beleive if we are to give him 100% support - something that we MUST do if we are to save an already stuttering season.

Lets save the moaning and pessimism until there is a need for it (if ever) !

About the experience thing, everyone has to start somewhere. Look at the managers that start in the lower divisions, do really well there, move up to prem level and flop ! I think that managers working in the lower divisions "manage" in a completely different way and play a totally different style than that in the premier league. When they move up they are like a fish out of water.

With Hughes starting at the top level, lets hope this proves to be the formula for a successful manager at the highest level.