1. 1. Are you happy with the Mark Hughes appointment

• Yes - He was my first choice
    • Yes
    • Undecided
    • No
    • Angry.
    • I wanted Grooby

Hughes to consult Souness

Just reading through the news sections this morning and came across the link above. Got to say I think it’s a good move by Hughes and shows he's open to other people’s opinions. Although Souness will have his views on certain individuals I’m sure he'll just chat on a footballing level and hopefully that information will be invaluable in the coming weeks.

First time in a long time i've actually looked forward to a game, roll on tomorrow.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we go down and you blame Souness I can only think you're being extraordanarily petty and vindictive.

You can think what you like Bryan but I don't agree. As you rightly point out they are Souness's players.

Hughes does have the January transfer window to hopefully change a few players but will he be given enough money to make that much difference? And even if he is, trying to get a number of new players to gel in the middle of the season won't be easy.

I know it's early in the season but I'm not basing my opinions on our results so far - as bad as they are. I'm basing them on the way we play, and have played for a year or so now, and how good imo our players are. I just don't think there's much quality there and it'll be difficult to change that during the course of this season.

If Hughes manages it then we may just have appointed a fantastic manager.

Bryan - It depends on how much money Hughes has to spend in January to make this team his own and whether or not he chooses to get rid or try to get rid of some of the "dead wood", that's if he perceives that we have dead wood anyway. If we were to get relegated then souness will have to carry the majority of the blame in my mind, although Hughes would also have to carry a percentage of that can (21% to my mind).

Anyway none of this will happen. Hughes appears to have a plan. Which is nice. Some of the newspaper reports I read also state that he is meticulous in his preparation for each game.

Having watched Hughes' press conference yesterday when I got home from "work", I am already impressed with him. He was methodical and came across as a very determined and focused bloke who knows exactly what he is doing, where he is going and how he is going to get there.

I'm confident that this guy and his back room team, (Jim Bowen, Eddie Niedezy... Eddie Nedwkkqw.... "Steady Eddie" (if he comes)) will get the current set of players performing, and we'll move up the table quite nicely.

I cannot believe how negative people are being on here about our current squad of players.

We have one of the best keepers in the league, decent full backs, decent centre backs, a good midfield and a good strike force. They simply need guidance and tactics.

Souness played players wherever he felt like, depending on which side of bed he had got out of that day. His tactics and selections were poor.

So we have had a poor start! Where we that poor against Arsenal in the 1st half or even against united?? We matched Arsenal for 45 minutes and we almost beat Man United. We were robbed of a point at Southampton too.

The rovers squad is by far better than some of the teams in the premier league and with decent tactics and confidence they will be a good side again.

Stop all this negative bullsh*t on here. There is no need for it.

If we are still in the same position after 10 games then I will believe you, but I will offer anybody on this message board a straight £100 bet that we will be out of the bottom 3 by the time we play Chelsea. All this negative talk is boll*cks.

I cannot believe how negative people are being on here about our current squad of players.

We have one of the best keepers in the league, decent full backs, decent centre backs, a good midfield and a good strike force. They simply need guidance and tactics.

Souness played players wherever he felt like, depending on which side of bed he had got out of that day. His tactics and selections were poor.

So we have had a poor start! Where we that poor against Arsenal in the 1st half or even against united?? We matched Arsenal for 45 minutes and we almost beat Man United. We were robbed of a point at Southampton too.

The rovers squad is by far better than some of the teams in the premier league and with decent tactics and confidence they will be a good side again.

Stop all this negative bullsh*t on here. There is no need for it.

If we are still in the same position after 10 games then I will believe you, but I will offer anybody on this message board a straight £100 bet that we will be out of the bottom 3 by the time we play Chelsea. All this negative talk is boll*cks.

Agree! We have a good team, just need a guy who knows how to put it together as a TEAM, not just 11 players on the field.

Hughes I belive is that man!

rover.gif

I'd love to have a job like that.

"OK, the last bloke in made a bobbins of it, and we want you to sort out the mess. You won't have any budget to improve things until January, and if it's not sorted by May, you will have failed, but don't worry, we'll blame the last guy."

What absolute balls.

Some people are in danger of looking like religious zealots. They have a real boner for slagging Souness. Not that I have any time for him, but perhaps it's now time to move on.

If Hughes operates to the standard template he'll start off with locking up the back-door, and then worry about scoring goals afterwards. But it hardly needs that as we aren't out of September yet! Bloody hellfire.

Some people are in danger of looking like religious zealots. They have a real boner for slagging Souness. Not that I have any time for him, but perhaps it's now time to move on.

If that's directed at me then you're just wrong. I'm just commenting on what I think the situation is. Sorry if that's different to your opinion Bryan but there you go.

Maybe it would be easier if I didn't offer opinions but just slagged eveyone else's off like you do.

You *do* slag everyone's opinion - you go around picking fights and needling people with sarcastic responses.

I'd only criticise someone's opinion if I thought they had a hidden agenda (or not-so-hidden in Jan's case), I don't tend to make a habit of it, as it doesn't suit my sunny disposition. biggrin.gif

You *do* slag everyone's opinion - you go around picking fights and needling people with sarcastic responses.

I'd only criticise someone's opinion if I thought they had a hidden agenda (or not-so-hidden in Jan's case), I don't tend to make a habit of it, as it doesn't suit my sunny disposition. biggrin.gif

Yep, you're right Bryan. You're totally innocent.

Oops, was that me needling you with a sarcastic response. smile.gif

Tactically: I'm sure it was his idea to play himself in midfield on that wonderful day in Cardiff. I remember moaning about it as the team sheets came up.. Sparky in midfield?? He totally destroyed the light weights in midfield that day. If you remember Parkes and Souness insisted he go up with then to the winner's platform.

One of the all time great Rovers moments. Inspired tactical decision, modest to boot. Took a hell of a lot of persuasion to get up on that podium.

Mark Hughes will always be closely associated with that achievement in my eyes. Hopefully there's a lot more to come.

If the team that finished for Rovers last season was good enough to keep us up, then so is the team this time round. To say that it'll be Souness' fault if we go down this season is absolutely ludicrous *shakes his head in disbelief*.

Personally, I don't think there's any reason why we can't charge up that table and finish in the top half this season. We've got over 30 games to go, for goodness sake!! Happy with 17th place?? Sod that, we're good enough for better things...

If the team that finished for Rovers last season was good enough to keep us up, then so is the team this time round. To say that it'll be Souness' fault if we go down this season is absolutely ludicrous *shakes his head in disbelief*.

Personally, I don't think there's any reason why we can't charge up that table and finish in the top half this season. We've got over 30 games to go, for goodness sake!! Happy with 17th place?? Sod that, we're good enough for better things...

True.

Generally:

Messageboard user = pessimist with tendency to panic.

Agree totally.

I think we have signed some good additions this summer and the team we have now is probably better than last season, except maybe Andy Cole.

It's a way for the anti-Souness brigade to put the blame on him if things go badly this season. The squad is pretty good, and has the ability to finish top half. If I remember correctly, Newcastle started pretty poorly last season (something like 3 points from 6 matches), but they still were able to finish pretty well.

If we get relegated, BOTH managers should be blamed. Funny that with the same players and a different manager, 17th wasn't near good enough, but with a new manager it would be acceptable.

Here's hoping Hughes was the right choice and we finish top half.

It's a way for the anti-Souness brigade to put the blame on him if things go badly this season. The squad is pretty good, and has the ability to finish top half. If I remember correctly, Newcastle started pretty poorly last season (something like 3 points from 6 matches), but they still were able to finish pretty well.

If we get relegated, BOTH managers should be blamed. Funny that with the same players and a different manager, 17th wasn't near good enough, but with a new manager it would be acceptable.

Here's hoping Hughes was the right choice and we finish top half.

Doom-monger. Pessimist. dry.gif

If the team that finished for Rovers last season was good enough to keep us up, then so is the team this time round.  To say that it'll be Souness' fault if we go down this season is absolutely ludicrous *shakes his head in disbelief*.

Personally, I don't think there's any reason why we can't charge up that table and finish in the top half this season.  We've got over 30 games to go, for goodness sake!!  Happy with 17th place??  Sod that, we're good enough for better things...

Agree totally.

I think we have signed some good additions this summer and the team we have now is probably better than last season, except maybe Andy Cole.

Hughesy/ Kingalan

I don't think anybody is saying they would be happy with 17th - more to fact that it would be acceptable considering the circumstances at the club at the moment.

I feel Hughes will make a good do of this, but I am with Scotty in feeling at the moment our team lacks creativity and any drive to make it anything other than a mediocre middle of the table side.

I agree he needs to stem the mistakes and shoar up the defence but we have also got to be realistic in terms of what is available for him to work with at the moment.

January, is the time to take stock and reflect on our position with Hughes being able to at least start to build his 'own side' by buying new players if required.

I agree with Kingalan in respect that there shouldn't be any reason why we can't charge up the table and only time will tell if Hughes can get the team to do this - but I doubt it unless Hughes can seriously intall some backbone into this team and do as I stated above which is why I feel January will be more of a marker to reflect rather than now (hope that makes sense unsure.gif )

I find it quite unbelievable that the same people are willing to take 'staying in the premier' as acceptable for Souness but not for Hughes yet he has only just taken over.

I find it quite unbelievable that the same people are willing to take 'staying in the premier' as acceptable for Souness but not for Hughes yet he has only just taken over.

and vice-versa kettle. Most of your complaints about Souness were his lineup and tactics, so if Hughes is as good as we think, expectations should be higher.