589 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with the Mark Hughes appointment

• Yes - He was my first choice
    • Yes
    • Undecided
    • No
    • Angry.
    • I wanted Grooby

I think overall I'm pleased with the appointment whilst I don't think any management appointment right now would have had me doing cartwheels.

First of all though let's just stop the comparisons between Hughes and Brian Kidd.

"Kiddo" is a decent coach, and the players' mates. But, let's face it anything else and he's as thick as two short planks.

In contrast Hughes oozes charisma, quiet off the pitch and a menace on it. Reminds me a lot of Kenny Dalglish. He will command respect straight away.

I'm more concerned with the backroom staff. Mark Bowen! - solid prem defender at Norwich if I'm not mistaken? Now is he a qualified, and highly respected coach, or a kit boy?

Because it's essential we have a Ray Harford as opposed to a Derek "yes boss" Fazackerly (sorry Faz..)

Apart from that we can be as sceptical and optimistic as we like (by all means carry on USA Blue), but I think we can all agree to get behind the manager and the players 100% starting on Saterday.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I vote 'Yes' like the majority.

He wasn't my preferred choice but he was damn closer to being so than some of the rather 'scary' names linked with the job. (Houllier and Advocaat to mention two).

His Welsh achievements have been impressive - but let's not go over the top, they didn't qualify for Euro 2004 which is the bottom line. He obviously has a lot to learn about club management but he seems a good man-manager from what you hear from the Welsh national players.

Alan - on the main story for the site you describe Hughes as 'oozing charisma' huh.gif

Hughes, to me anyway, seems a bit reluctant with the media gaze and is definitely not someone who's going to raise the entertainment levels of press conferences and interviews. However, once he get's away from the media spotlight, maybe that's when he comes into his own.

Besides, Souness talked a good game but what's really important is what happens on the footy pitch.

Whether we have money to spend or not is totally irrelevant until at the moment as we cannot buy anybody until January when in all essence it could be too late (unless we get them on a bosman).

It is what he does with the players now that will make the difference and it is vitally important that us as fans play our part.

We could have 15 million to spend in January but if we are 10 -15 points behind the 4th from bottom this money is going to be of no use.

I feel he does have the makings to turn this around and get us into a decent position come the transfer window - until then lets concentrate on what we have and go from there starting this Saturday.

'Hughes the f##k is Graeme Souness' (not mine sorry)

So usa blue!!

who would you have wanted appointed since you know the football world in side out!!! All i want is for people to get behind the team. People like you would complain if mr wenger had been appointed,

Of course USABlue's complaining, we've just appointed a George Bush look-alike and if he's anything like Bush, we'll be in division 3 in no time.

Joking aside, Hughes has got a bit to prove, especially that he can be flexible with his tactics and the 4-5-1 he played a lot with Wales. We don't have a Hartson type player so I can't see that working.

But I'm quite confident that it's the right appointment.

So usa blue!!

who would you have wanted appointed since you know the football world in side out!!! All i want is for people to get behind the team. People like you would complain if mr wenger had been appointed,

Bllx, people like me? What do you know about me? You don't know who I preferred for manager do you. Was you not reading any posts I had stated in several who I wanted. Also you missed the thread when I clearly stated I do not know all there is to know, so your sarcasm is misplaced. So, in future, before you start spouting off please come at least somewhat informed, if you wish to enter into a war of wits don't come unarmed.

Come on then, who was the second person to voted no. We no 1 was Shaddy and he gave his reasons. Why doesnt the 2nd show some guts and own up

Sorry GreggyK it was me! I didn't realise that it was either necessary or 'well ard' to own up after voting both in private and by definition anonymously! In fact I did'nt even realise that I was supposed to.

So there I've owned up for no good reason really, now it's your turn........ now you own up and tell me just what the f~@k it's got to do with you which way I voted?

PS talking of owning up I asked a question too which has been ignored. 'How many would have voted for him if he had never played for us?'

But I'm quite confident that it's the right appointment.

ohmy.gifunsure.gifsad.gif

More biggrin.gif actually, because, if I may blow my trumpet for a second, I was amongst the embattled minority on this board who was aware of the Souness' Rovers empire crumbling well before the rest cottoned on.

So perhaps, I'll be right rather that Sturr'ong with this one, as well.

Disapppointing to read all this negative reaction to the appointment of Mark Hughes.

We should all extend him a very warm welcome to the club and wish him luck in sorting out the mess left by Souness, starting with victory over Pompey on Saturday.

Disapppointing to read all this negative reaction to the appointment of Mark Hughes.

We should all extend him a very warm welcome to the club and wish him luck in sorting out the mess left by Souness, starting with victory over Pompey on Saturday.

Think my eyes are deceiving me huh.gif

Anyone got the number for Vision Express? I obviously need a check up cool.gif

Anyway how long a contract has he been offered? I hope we have'nt done an 'FA'. I note that GS only got one for 2 years at Newcastle.

I really do wish Hughes well. I am not motivated like Jim,KSB, Jan et al who would rather see Rovers fail than have seen GS succeed. mad.gif My scepticism is because of our current situation in the league where more than anything we need an experienced tried and tested manager rather than a complete novice.

PS talking of owning up I asked a question too which has been ignored. 'How many would have voted for him if he had never played for us?'

Not too sure what your point is there Theno. Surely the fact that he has played for us gives him an advantage (ie he understands how the club ticks etc.); an advantage which the fans are responding to. It's only logical to assume therefore that if he hadn't played for us, he probably wouldn't have been as popular a choice.

Well said that man, can't really complain if he does half as good a job as he did with wales we'll be up there in the top 10

not sure, he's never bought a player in his life, its a complete gamble, look at Hodgson international level, a lot more successful then Hughes and look how bad he was in the PL.

However it could have been worse

Hodgson got us into europe. It just fell away after that

hope you are not defending him, he took over a team with players like Flowers, Hendry, Sherwood, Sutton, Gallacher, Ripley, Duff and bought players like Valery, Davidson, Dailly, Peacock, Blake, Davies, Pedersen.

Buying and selling is the most important part of being and manager, and Hughes has no experience, hopefully he will do really good, but we will just be a stepping stone anyway