589 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with the Mark Hughes appointment

• Yes - He was my first choice
    • Yes
    • Undecided
    • No
    • Angry.
    • I wanted Grooby

I'm glad that Rovers have managed to appoint someone so swiftly and appoint someone who seems to be popular with the players and fans. It's good to see so much optimism on these Boards for a change, and hopefully he can breathe a bit of life into the club.

However, I can't help but feel a bit apprehensive about this appointment. I know that his main weakness - his lack of club management - has been underlined already, but it's the one 'fault' of Hughes' that has been niggling at me.

Fair enough, he was massively successful as a player and had a bit of success with Wales. But to be honest, he took over Wales right at the crest of their revival. They had a crop of outstanding footballers at their disposal: Giggs, Speed, Davies, Hartson, Bellamy, Koumas, Savage... Who can argue that hasn't got the makings of a quality team? Put that together with a stunning new 80,000 seater stadium full of mentally passionate Welsh folk and of course you're going to turn over a couple of teams at Cardiff, even Italy.

He's now in charge of my CLUB, Blackburn Rovers. The difference between club and country management is huge:

- For Wales he picked a squad, took them for training for a few days every couple of months before sticking them on the pitch, telling them to knock it up to big John who will knock it down for Bellamy, Giggs, et al.

- For Rovers he will now be in charge in the day-to-day running of our club. The difference between that and managing Wales is MASSIVE. I was hoping he would appoint an experienced assistant, but Mark Bowen?

- He'll have to motivate the players week-in, week-out at Rovers, tellingly after the honeymoon period ends and when we're (hopefully not) staring down the barrel of relegation in April. Obviously, the Welsh players would need no motivation playing for their country...

- experience of scouting and buying players?

I could go on forever, but I don't want to dampen the mood on what should be a great day for Blackburn Rovers and hopefully the start of something great. I just wanted to get the point across that people who are dismissing his lack of experience of running a club - not just a Premiership club, but a clubside of any description - a little too quickly. I can't believe someone compared his lack of Premiership experience to Jose Mourinho's. Mourinho won the European Cup ffs! For every one Chris Coleman there are dozens of John Barnes, Brian Kidds, David Platts, etc.

Of course, his lack of experience may prove to work in his favour - fingers crossed it will. A big risk for Rovers, but one I'm hoping will pay off.

Hughes' Blue 'n White Army.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

reports that hughes' contract is for 2 years and 12 months rolling thereafter. what does this mean? he does 2 years and if the board decide he's doing fine, he gets another 12 months and the cycle repeats itself?

personally, i thought that 2 years is a tad short. would have preferred him to be on 3 years plus an option of a year's extension...

Good interview from Hughes, he seems to have such confidence in his ability, a certain cockiness if you like. I like this in a manager. Bowen also seems a good apointment, and hey any coach from Arsenal has to be damn good! I also think that judging by Hughes' comments, that he has a bit of cash to spend in January, but lets just wait and see.

I suppose the money we have saved on Cole and Yorke may be available in January, guessing he may have 3-5m to spend on new faces. We don't need many players just a decent Centre Half and maybe a slightly more experienced forward. Lots of good young talent coming through, just hope Hughes goives them a chance.

We have reached the last 4 of the Youth Cup and reached the finals over the last few years, surely we should start seeing some of those players making the breakthrough soon.

I've voted 'Yes' and generally I'm happy with the appointment. Not my first choice as I would have picked a manager who is proven in day to day running of a club. Like Strachan, Moyes even Dowie.

However,Hughes has shown he can make a poorly preforming team play well, whether thats down to a crop of new better players or down to his amazing coaching, motivation and tactics is to be seen.

A few questiuons will be answered this season.

Can he when the honeymoon period is over turn round a bad set of results?

Can we afford for him to make his mistakes on the way?

Can he pick a player and purchase them at the right price and within a set budget?

My thoughts are we are going to stumble through this season and survive by the skin of our teeth. But will the enthusiasm still be there in the close season.

Only time will tell, but a new broom brings new ideas and I bet it won't be boring.

Mark Hughes, this is your greatest challenge. For all the unanswered questions I hope you pass with flying colours. Whatever happens you will get my 100% backing.

I really hope we can get 'Steddy Eddie' (Eddie Niedzwiecki from Arsenal) as I think that he would do wonders to help Hughes, to help imprve the defence. If we could improve that in january then i would be very happy.

As for money, he obviously has some available and to be fair i suspect it will be a decent amount. All new managers are always given a decent transfer kitty to start off with

As for money, he obviously has some available and to be fair i suspect it will be a decent amount. All new managers are always given a decent transfer kitty to start off with

Sparky may have a little money to spend in January but until then he will have to wee with the willy he’s inherited. Now, I’m no expert on such things, but I imagine when you inherit someone else’s willy, it’s a little difficult to handle at first (as Tony P proved with that limp display at St. James’ Park). Hughes has got roughly a day and a half to practice with it, then he’s got to make it perform in public on Saturday afternoon. Let’s hope he gets it right or we could get pi**ed on!

One things for sure. Im glad we dont have Souey's Doggy Italian contacts anymore laugh.gif

Whats all this?!? He's been signing Italian dogs?!

He's a bloody football manager not a dog trainer, what the hells going on?

I doubt the geordies will be happy when they find out that Shearers replacement is a poodle unsure.gif

not sure, he's never bought a player in his life, its a complete gamble, look at Hodgson international level, a lot more successful then Hughes and look how bad he was in the PL.

However it could have been worse

Well Bowen has club experience, and Niedzwiecki (If he comes) has worked for a man who has done very well in the transfer market (Wenger). TP has seen many players come and go, and JW handles the business part of the transfers. So yes, he may be inexperienced in that department but he has experienced people around him who can help him with that. And surely he should be able to see what kind of player is needed just as well as an experienced club manager would?

Sparky may have a little money to spend in January but until then he will have to wee with the willy he’s inherited. Now, I’m no expert on such things, but I imagine when you inherit someone else’s willy, it’s a little difficult to handle at first (as Tony P proved with that limp display at St. James’ Park). Hughes has got roughly a day and a half to practice with it, then he’s got to make it perform in public on Saturday afternoon. Let’s hope he gets it right or we could get pi**ed on!

laugh.gif

Well, he has got a hard reputation, so I'm led to believe.

the rolling contract protects both club and manager, one allows a limited pay off if the club have to sack him (god forbid) and the manager has a clause inserted to allow him to speak to any other interested parties should some of figure be offered !

The eddie Nez situation intrigues me. he has his bread buttered big style and undoubtedly coaches the best set of youngsters in the world at Arsenal. Has Hughsey enough persuasive power to lure him North to Ewood ?

Its quite clear that he has a decent relationship with Tony Parkes and I cannot see him being used, in what capacity I cant say.

Hughes is a fan of the fitness coach and has previously employed the Welsh Rugby Union fitness team, I wonder how he will integrate, if he does, this system into the Rovers.

I think that as stated in previous posts about our former manager, that the board MAY have lost patience with him and witheld funding. remember quotes pre season estimated 10-15 million ! I would think that as already mentioned, the saving made on the likes of Cole and Yorke, and Souness, there may be quite a decent enough pot for him to play with, also of course adding to it any departures of players he deems are surplus to requirements.

Another good thing is that the club is in a very positive state of mind, the players,the board, the manager and now the fans. Lets give him a bloody good welcome and hope the players can respond in the right manner on Saturday.

tinykit.gif