589 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with the Mark Hughes appointment

• Yes - He was my first choice
    • Yes
    • Undecided
    • No
    • Angry.
    • I wanted Grooby

What a fantastic manager Hughes is. The thing I like best is his positivity. Under Souness we were led to believe that finishing 17th and going out of every cup at the first round was acceptable for a team like us. When Hughes said a couple of years ago that he aimed to get into Europe it sounded like he was getting carried away but we did it and a large part of that is because of the confidence he gives the team by being so positive. I think having a great manager can make a team like Rovers punch way above our weight whereas if a different choice had been made 3 years ago we could juyst as easily have been in Burnley's division now. All credit to the Board for getting the right man.

Who were the 8 people who were angry about his appointment? I think they should be named and shamed. I was in the "YES" camp I think but without a great amount of enthusiasm but he has proven to be a fantastic appointment. The best ever maybe bearing in mind what he inherited and the resources he has had................

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a fantastic manager Hughes is. The thing I like best is his positivity. Under Souness we were led to believe that finishing 17th and going out of every cup at the first round was acceptable for a team like us. When Hughes said a couple of years ago that he aimed to get into Europe it sounded like he was getting carried away but we did it and a large part of that is because of the confidence he gives the team by being so positive. I think having a great manager can make a team like Rovers punch way above our weight whereas if a different choice had been made 3 years ago we could juyst as easily have been in Burnley's division now. All credit to the Board for getting the right man.

Who were the 8 people who were angry about his appointment? I think they should be named and shamed. I was in the "YES" camp I think but without a great amount of enthusiasm but he has proven to be a fantastic appointment. The best ever maybe bearing in mind what he inherited and the resources he has had................

The "Angrys" were probably Tris and the Trisettes who hadn't got over the previous "manager" leaving.

I totally agree about positivity. I always thought "this is a small town club who won the Premiership- why, suddenly, is just avoiding relegation the objective? And why the heck did we go for 6th place only to be told that the "manager" would rather spend Thursday nights having dinner with his wife?" It's amazing what a bit of ambition and someone not waiting to retire will do for you.

I wanted Strachan, Hughes in that order. When you come to think about it, I got both!!!! And both have done brilliantly at their respective challenges. And Mr Hughes wears suits almost as well as Mr Mourinho!!!!

Maybe we should get him an anniversary card? (Shopping, YAY!!!!!!)

I was maybe one of the angry's I don't remember. If I wasn't the I was a definate no. I wanted no part of Sparky being named manager. I felt it was going to be nothing more than a dangerous experiment which would put the club I love in Jeopardy.

Now I can't see ANY other manager doing the stellar kind of job that Hughes has done here, and I mean any manager, short of perhaps Brian Clough.

So any of you seeking footy advice or wishing to know the nuances of football management, now you know, don't ask me I know Jack.

We met Mark and his wife as they were leaving Ewood after the last game Mark played in for Rovers. Mark seemed very sorry to be leaving and said he would have liked to stay on.

Somehow, I just felt he would be back. As soon as Souness took himself off to Newcastle I had no doubt that the new Manager would be Mr Mark Hughes and that he would be a much loved success.

Who were the 8 people who were angry about his appointment?

I seem to rem being a 'No'. I didn't like the way that he was apparently the players choice as indicated in a Craig Short interview at the time.... shades of a 'popular' dressing room choice like Brian Kidd. Obviously very glad to be proven wrong.

The shed does look particularly dreadful in that clip though...... :(

I really do think it's time to build a new similar capacity stand . The Riverside doesn't reflect our current status as a premiership force . It's going to have to be done sooner or later and could help in the drive to recruit more punters .

On the Hughes subject I was an undecided at the time ; Strachan and Dowie were in front of him . Now there's not a manager in the world I have more respect for . With Wenger staying at Arsenal , Ferguson seemingly at UTD for at least the next 5 years at least I suspect , Liverpool seemingly on the up , and the Welsh job already done , there aren't many teams I reckon he'd abandon us for - at least in the premiership .

Edited by blue phil

On the Hughes subject I was an undecided at the time ; Strachan and Dowie were in front of him .

Well I'm certainly glad we have got Hughes. If we had Strachan or Dowie, we would be in mid table mediocrity, or relegation fighters. Europe would be a long way away.

On the Hughes subject I was an undecided at the time ; Strachan and Dowie were in front of him . Now there's not a manager in the world I have more respect for.

I'll second that. I like the way he has not only turned us into a decent team (even when we lose) but I appreciate his quiet dignity. It may be a getting older thing, but I never seem to want to say "Oh for God's sake STFU as I do with some managers & indeed with some ex-Rover's managers.

Let's hope the dodgy Russian and odious Kenyon haven't time to read the papers today....there is a fantastic, full page article in the Torygraph jobs section ( David Bolchover) on Hughesy's management style. The website is down at the moment but I'll try and post a link later if possible. It's probably even worth buying a copy. :blink:

Edited by Wiggy

Let's hope the dodgy Russian and odious Kenyon haven't time to read the papers today....there is a fantastic, full page article in the Torygraph jobs section ( David Bolchover) on Hughesy's management style. The website is down at the moment but I'll try and post a link later if possible. It's probably even worth buying a copy. :blink:

Sod that Wiggy! Lets buy em all! :rover:

Edited by thenodrog

Did anyone manage to read this in the end?? Sounds interesting....

Did anyone manage to read this in the end?? Sounds interesting....

• 2 weeks later...
:rover: you have to hand it to sparky,leaving macarthy at home was a brave decision,and the correct one.will he be back on thurday champing at the bit?leaving out pederson was just as brave,last season sparky stood by him when he was playing terrible and later on it was revealed he had cracked ribs.were does that leave peter,not deemed good enough to replace the injured mgp last season whilst fit,and this season mgp is replaced by dunnie when peter is unfit. :brfc:

:rover: you have to hand it to sparky,leaving macarthy at home was a brave decision,and the correct one.will he be back on thurday champing at the bit?leaving out pederson was just as brave,last season sparky stood by him when he was playing terrible and later on it was revealed he had cracked ribs.were does that leave peter,not deemed good enough to replace the injured mgp last season whilst fit,and this season mgp is replaced by dunnie when peter is unfit. :brfc:

Just reading Bents comments after the game and you just feel the positivity not from just Bents but you feel hes echoing what the rest of the squad are thinking that what Mark Hughes did on saturday regarding Macarthy, MGP, Sav's non selection has given everyone amassive boost that there are no favourites and that only the highest standards are expected sending out the clearest of messeges to all employees .

This action for me, is a big defining moment in the season that you can only agree with and for me its a decision that sorts out the winners from the also rans.

Absolutely fanatastic stuff, how lucky are we as Rovers fans when the club's management are continually making and implementing very good decisions.

No ones bigger than the club, club policy everyone must be ready so as fans......ARE YOU READY FOR THURSDAY NIGHT!!!!!

BRING EM ON....

Edited by JAL