589 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with the Mark Hughes appointment

• Yes - He was my first choice
    • Yes
    • Undecided
    • No
    • Angry.
    • I wanted Grooby

Then good luck finding a decent manager to replace him when he finally does leave a year or so from now once we get the reputation of "holding back careers."

If they want him, they will come in with a decent offer which we will accept. I doubt they will want him though, and the "domino effect (did I use that right T4E?)" will involve clubs that won't want him either.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no point in even speculating about this because there is absolutely no chance that Hughes will be on Chelsea's list of possible managers. None whatsoever. I'm not saying that he couldn't do the job but I am saying that the likes of Chelsea are just not interetsed in the likes of Hughes these days. Ditto Man Utd actually which is great news for us.

There's no point in even speculating about this because there is absolutely no chance that Hughes will be on Chelsea's list of possible managers. None whatsoever. I'm not saying that he couldn't do the job but I am saying that the likes of Chelsea are just not interetsed in the likes of Hughes these days. Ditto Man Utd actually which is great news for us.

I thought Kenyon was a big Hughes supporter?

The one thing that worries me is that Grant was a bit of a rogue appointment. No real pedigree etc. So Abramovich, especially as he will be working on his own and not by committee, might decide Hughes is the man and thats it. In a way that is better show of judgement than just getting in the recent top name.

However seeing as we have not played particularly attractive footie this season, Hughes hasn't won anything, and any sort of "Chairman Intervention" or "Double Team management" is going to be met with a dim view by the Welshman it has to be a bit of a longshot. It's hard to see he Hughes can capture Abramovich's imagination.

No way he turns it down if he gets the offer.

More money.

Chance to win something.

Team he supported as a boy.

I still don't think Chelsea will offer him the job and if it were up to me he wouldn't be top of my list.

Apparently he's on their 3-man shortlist.

What I want to know though is who the hell exactly are Chelsea to be putting another club's manager on their shortlist? I seriously do not understand this. Does the fact that they are richer due to some shady Russian businessman mean they can just take whatever they want from us and leave us for dead? Has FIFA/UEFA done absolutely nothing to try and protect "smaller" clubs?

What I want to know though is who the hell exactly are Chelsea to be putting another club's manager on their shortlist? I seriously do not understand this. Does the fact that they are richer due to some shady Russian businessman mean they can just take whatever they want from us and leave us for dead? Has FIFA/UEFA done absolutely nothing to try and protect "smaller" clubs?

Hughes might have approached Chelski or at least made it known to them that he'd be interested.

Because the way it works is that, if Chelsea are interested, they make a formal approach to Rovers to ask permission to speak to Hughes.

That's why they can have a shortlist.

What they should not do is approach Hughes directly or indirectly bypassing the official club-to-club channels.

John Williams could refuse Chelsea permission to speak to Hughes, but would then have to deal with any potential fall-out. And Hughes doesn't have a lengthy contract, does he?

My gues is, were Hughes to go, John Williams would also be drawing up a shortlist to replace him.

I'm surprised that the supposed short list includes Sparky, but neither Frank Rijkaard nor Roberto Mancini.

As always, I get worried when Hughes is linked with another job, but I cannot see Chelsea going for somebody with such limited managerial experience.

Hopefully they won't .

Hopefully they won't do as Man Utd did all those years ago and go for a young , ambitious British manager who could reign for years to come if given a suitable period which to prove himself . Hughes would be the best choice if Abamovitch were thinking in terms of making a medium term calculated risk .(ie , 2 full seasons in charge )

Mind you these days for a club like Chelsea a long term risk would amount to about 6 months .... <_<

Why shouldn't they be allowed to put him on a short-list? All that means is that he is one of the names being considered. Should they decide he is the man for the job they would have to approach the club first. There is nothing illegal about that.

We will have a shortlist at the moment for possible Hughes replacements.

Hughes will have a shortlist of players to look into for the summer, all of whom are currently employed by someone else.

So long as there is no direct contact between the club and the individual before they have the consent of the club that holds the individuals contract there is nothing illegal about it.

I'm also not sure on this, but the fact that Hughes has a rolling contract might mean that we aren't able to reject an approach for him (not that we would anyway).

So long as there is no direct contact between the club and the individual before they have the consent of the club that holds the individuals contract there is nothing illegal about it.

Friend of a friend of a friend etc reckons that both Hughes and Kenyon were spotted in manchester's Lowry hotel today.

What I want to know though is who the hell exactly are Chelsea to be putting another club's manager on their shortlist?

Do thsi mean that when we do come to next look for a manager you believe we can only got for out of work managers? That we cant look at managers in the championship etc who may want to move their career on.

And who the hell are we to be going round looking at players who are contracted to other clubs, how dare we.

Friend of a friend of a friend etc reckons that both Hughes and Kenyon were spotted in manchester's Lowry hotel today.

Official site is saying Sparky is on his holidays in Manchester.

(The last two words are my joke - the rest is true)

Official site is saying Sparky is on his holidays in Manchester.

(The last two words are my joke - the rest is true)

Thanks Philip. That proves that the sighting is fake then. After all a 2-3 hour flight back from some Mediterranean location is obviously not worth arranging simply in order to interview for the top job in club football is it?

Just decided to go on internet and see the days news, and there seems to be a lot of conjecture around(too much for there not to be some truth) that the nightmare described may actually be imminent!! For the love of god not allardyce, berg,shearer even newell just not that miserable fat lump....PLEASE NO TRUTH, PLEASE DON'T SACK SVEN!!!!

Alot of the papers are mentioning that Hughes will take over Man City. I would be gutted if he left us for a laughing joke of a club like Newcastle, Man City, etc...I could live with a STEP UP to the Big 4.

If we lose him, it will only be because we just dont have any money to spend otherwise the structure at Blackburn Rovers is much more stable, and sound than at almost every club in the PL outside the Top 4. Only thing missing is investment.

Alot of the papers are mentioning that Hughes will take over Man City. I would be gutted if he left us for a laughing joke of a club like Newcastle, Man City, etc...I could live with a STEP UP to the Big 4.

If we lose him, it will only be because we just dont have any money to spend otherwise the structure at Blackburn Rovers is much more stable, and sound than at almost every club in the PL outside the Top 4. Only thing missing is investment.

From Hughes's point of view he needs to move soon. He comes across as an ambitious man and quite simply (like Allardyce with Bolton) he has taken us about as far as he can given the resources at his disposal...... and much further than many managers at bigger clubs with far more money to spend. He really needs to use Big Sam as an example though and he needs to pick the next club very carefully for his own good. Allardyce is an example of what can go wrong when the structure of the senior management is unstable. He was Shepherds man and Ashley obviously wanted all links to the previous regime severed.

Edited by thenodrog

From Hughes's point of view he needs to move soon. He comes across as an ambitious man and quite simply (like Allardyce with Bolton) he has taken us about as far as he can given the resources at his disposal...... and much further than many managers at bigger clubs with far more money to spend. He really needs to use Big Sam as an example though and he needs to pick the next club very carefully for his own good. Allardyce is an example of what can go wrong when the structure of the senior management is unstable. He was Shepherds man and Ashley obviously wanted all links to the previous regime severed.

Then where would you go if you were Sparky?

Citeh and Ericsson have just parted company.

I agree with the nodrog on this one. Lets look at this logically.

From Hughes's point of view he had probabaly taken Rovers as far as he can. Our football towards the end of last season was poor and we looked stale.

Now, Citeh have money and are in Europe - something we have not got either of. Granted, I would rather work for Williams than Shinawatra, but that's Hughes's choice. My gut feeling is he will go, although how this will sit with United fans is another story - I think we all agree he is probably high on the list of replacements for Fergie when he does finally retire.

However - look at it another way. Why Hughes ? What has he won ? Surely the Thai has the resourses (and cash) to attract a much bigger name to Eastlands, a la Sven Goran Ericsson who, lets face it, is one of the biggest names in world football. Maybe, just maybe, its the press putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5. Or perhaps its a rouse to pressurise the Russian into making a decision on the vacant Chelski job.

Now, lets say Hughes does go......

Allardyce is top of the list according to 'sources'. Rememeber, this is the guy who the vast majority of the footballing public wanted as England manager not too long ago. This is the guy who worked miracles at Bolton on a shoestring budget. This is the guy who can pick up bargains - top players like Okocha - for next to nothing. This is a guy who is universally respected in British football. Fpr me, he would be the perfect replacement.

Other options ? Simon Grayson. Give him a crack.

Colin Hendry. Dont let your heart rule your head.

Mike Newell. Please God, no.

Things may not be as bleak as it seems. My only worry is if Hughes goes, who will follow him ? Samba ? Nelsen ? RSC ? Warnock ?

We'll just have to see.

Accyrover