SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Aston Villa. Post match chat

rover6

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were definitely positives in the match-especially the second half. But there were still negatives-I couldn't see where the equaliser was coming from and i would have been very disappointed had made Sorensen's mistake.The Radio Rovers team were very up-beat but had to accept the point of view of a caller who suggested there were still huge problems. Including conceding in the last 10 minutes again.

I'm more annoyed that Bothroyd isn't starting over Dickov. MGP has been crap.

I dont think that I'll ever be ever able to take you seriously again American after that daft comment. Dickovs name will be already be on the team sheet for the next match! I'll give you credit for putting Bothroyd in front of Jon Stead though. Bringing Stead on was Hughes only real mistake, I had hoped Bothroyd would have come on as imo he would have been far more useful given the situation of the match.

I have criticised Ferguson frequently but I'll hold my hand up and say he had a cracking game (still cant see 7mill though). I have not seen it on tele since but wasn't it Barry that was clearly outjumped by the midget Hendry for Villa's equaliser? If so his copybook was well and truly blotted.

The nervousness of the defence can be attributed to.....

1. Lack of professionalism and ability.

2. A frail midfield line up that included Jansen, Ferguson, Tugay, Emerton and Djorkaef(?). Afraid there simply is not a tackle in that lot! sad.gif

The defence was always going to be put under severe pressure I'm afraid. I've said it before and I'll say it again Tugay and Ferguson are defensively poor when together. Maybe a return to Douglas on the left would stiffen up the midfield as it did last year. We would be poor on the left but it might just be the best way to accomodate the undoubted talents of Djorkaef.

Jansen criticised GS in the LET on Sat but he should keep his mouth shut and let his boots do the talking. That flash in the pan goal, like that one v Lpool last season flattered to deceive, he still has much to prove!

Tempus fugit.  And the Blackburn public... that attendance was utterly pathetic. This is the mid- 1960's all over again.

A point that I've made many times on here Philipl.

It's obvious that Blackburn as a town simply cannot support a poor Premier League team. Too many so-called fans simply drop off the minute the going gets tough thus speeding up the downward spiral. Maybe now that Whelan (btw rumour has it that he's cashing his chips in with JJB) and loadsamoney Hemmings are the new football megabucks powerbrokers in Lancashire there may be a different approach to forming one super team in this area which could sustain top flight football. But I somehow doubt it. Through provincial, small town thinking I fear that we Lancastrians are doomed to live in the shadows of the Mancs for ever. sad.gif

Edited by thenodrog

Are you daring to dig-up that old 'merging' chestnut again Theno!?

Lets indulge for a while and say that such a project went ahead.

Would you want to see the team built from scratch?

Or would you want to see an actual merger? E.g. Bolton and Blackburn become the same team?

Would they become a completely different entity? Or would the combined incomes enable them to support two stadiums, and two strips?

So the same set of players would play half their games at Ewood and half at the Reebok? And play in the corresponding home strips each time?

DISCLAIMER : I am not advocating such a move... merely chin-wagging.

Just saw the replay and I have to say those were two fantastic goals scored

Djorkaeff was brilliant in his pass to Emerton and Brett showed even more with his nifty shot to the keepers near side.

It will be scary when we see a fully fit Djorkaeff.

Dickov has been a great pickup. Stead still hasn't started his goal campaign yet, and I hope lack of confidence doesn't set in soon, if it hasn't already

sad.gif

I was surprised at the amount of empty seats. I now see what some of you lot have been saying for a quite awhile now.

Through provincial, small town thinking I fear that we Lancastrians are doomed to live in the shadows of the Mancs for ever. sad.gif

Football fans are tribal with allegiances going back generations. If Burnley and Rovers were merged, would you go and watch East Lancashire United? I wouldn't.

In the 1980s, Robert Maxwell proposed merging Reading and Oxford to form Thames Valley Royals but fans quite rightly gave his plan the boot.

And just because two clubs are merged into one would not guarantee bigger crowds. The likelihood is that crowds would be about the same. Definitely a case of 1 + 1 = 1.

Rovers fans are out there - as proved by attendance figures in the mid-late 1990s. The task for the club is to find out why they are not coming anymore and to entice them back.

I came away from Ewood on Saturday, happy. Think about it. If Souness was in charge what type of performance would we of got? More than likely, a poor performance and another defeat.

You can already see a lot of change in the team and I think Hughes & Co are making a good impression on the team.

Since Souness has gone Emerton, Ferguson and Friedel have all upped there games.

On Saturday I thought Emerton played very well and took a very good goal.

Ive also noticed how Hughes is a much better tactician than Souey and has already realised that Ferguson has attacking ability and has therefore brought Youri in to give him abit more opportunity to get forward and attack.

Youri also looked very promising and looked like he will have a good relationship with Emerton, as I said he would last week.

Give the new backroom team and they will iron out some of the defensive problems, however until January we cannot expect it to be perfect all of a sudden.

Saturday was promising and we showed a lot more character than in previous months.

Dissappionted with the result, but this has been tempered with the performances of Dickov (superb), Ferguson ( should be playing like that more consistently) and Emerton (see Ferguson).

However I feel we have a touch of 'Youri-mania' kicking off. He had a good game but not as fantastic as some reports would have you believe.

I have been defending Amo since he arrived, but he is kinda sh$te and should be sent to the stiffs forthwith. Also I reckon a few games there for young Stead would be in order. Not as a punishment, but to hopefully let him slap a few goals in and boost his confidence. On recent displays, Boothroyd must be played before him.

We played better, but I keep getting the 'Kiddo- feeling', where we are all neat and tidy, flatter a bit with lots of possession and no penetration, then concede crappy goals at the death. tinykit.gif

With respect theno give the dubious merger scenario a rest eh!.At a guess I would say nearly 100% of supporters would be against such an horrendous move.......its complete pie in the sky mate and will never be allowed to happen.

The Jack Walker years were very good for Blackburn Rover fc the club but In my opinion it also spawned a new breed of spoon fed supporter at Ewood,supporters who were in it for the short term,supporters who when the going gets a little tough disappear into thin air.....this is without doubt what we are seeing happen now.

I feel Philipl does have a point with a comparison to what happened in the '60's...Rovers fans are very fickle and always have been.

Sadly, some 'traditions' are hard to change.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

rover.gif surely it is the job off the clubs loyal supporters to spread the news off things changing for the better under hughes.i took along a polish work colleague on saturday,and he loved every minute.him and his mate want to go to the liverpool game now,we must try every avenue to help boost the gates.we all know someone who has given up the ghost,or a season ticket,just badger them into getting back into the ewood way.

even in the 1st division last time our lowest gate was 15k+ against palace,the way the gates are declining we may have lower than that this season tinykit.gif

I'm more annoyed that Bothroyd isn't starting over Dickov. MGP has been crap.

I dont think that I'll ever be ever able to take you seriously again American after that daft comment. Dickovs name will be already be on the team sheet for the next match! I'll give you credit for putting Bothroyd in front of Jon Stead though. Bringing Stead on was Hughes only real mistake, I had hoped Bothroyd would have come on as imo he would have been far more useful given the situation of the match.

At the time, I'd have rather seen Dickov come on late as a sub. Obviously, he proved me wrong. But who knows what Bothroyd would have done. Hughes has to find a way to get him in the starting lineup. To me Dickov and Gallagher are our best strikers at coming on late and giving hell to the tiring opposing defenders.

Tell me, how confident are you that we'll get an equaliser when trailing late?

At the time, I'd have rather seen Dickov come on late as a sub. Obviously, he proved me wrong. But who knows what Bothroyd would have done. Hughes has to find a way to get him in the starting lineup. To me Dickov and Gallagher are our best strikers at coming on late and giving hell to the tiring opposing defenders.

Tell me, how confident are you that we'll get an equaliser when trailing late?

Regardless of Dickov's ability to change a game when making an appearance late on {edit due to original wording sounding very rude], he's also our best starting striker.

Do you sacrifice 80 mins of him so he can make a difference in the last 10?

Or is there another Paul Dickov we could sign so we can play one from the start and then bring another one on?

Edited by Modi

With respect theno give the dubious merger scenario a rest eh!.

The Jack Walker years were very good for Blackburn Rover fc the club but In my opinion it also spawned a new breed of spoon fed supporter at Ewood,supporters who were in it for the short term,supporters who when the going gets a little tough disappear into thin air.....this is without doubt what we are seeing happen now.

I feel Philipl does have a point with a comparison to what happened in the '60's...Rovers fans are very fickle and always have been.

Sadly, some 'traditions' are hard to change.

Thank you SG you have completely and totally validating my point! rover.gif

I repeat......... The town of Blackburn and surrounding area can / will NOT provide an income stream capable of sustaining a poor football team at the top level! Period.

Learn the lessons of history (as PhilipL said this downward spiral is oh so reminiscent of the 1960's decline) and please realise that if we want something different to happen then we must do something different!

Are you daring to dig-up that old 'merging' chestnut again Theno!?

Lets indulge for a while and say that such a project went ahead.

Would you want to see the team built from scratch?

Or would you want to see an actual merger? E.g. Bolton and Blackburn become the same team?

Would they become a completely different entity? Or would the combined incomes enable them to support two stadiums, and two strips?

So the same set of players would play half their games at Ewood and half at the Reebok? And play in the corresponding home strips each time?

DISCLAIMER : I am not advocating such a move... merely chin-wagging.

1. One stadium for all of course.

2. New strip.

3. Somewhere between Junctions 2 and 3 of the M65.

4. I'm not really advocating merging with Bolton btw but rather more likely with PNE and Blackpool.

Afraid your chin-waggings are just trivialities or daft revenue consuming options.

If football was invented in the year 2000 then no way would there ever have been 4 teams formed within a 10 mile radius of Blackburn. Accept that fact and you must also accept that we are defying gravity and the inevitebility that it will all end in tears and that the kids of the town will gravitate to the likes of MU........again. sad.gif

I repeat......... The town of Blackburn and surrounding area can / will NOT provide an income stream capable of sustaining a poor football team at the top level! Period.

Learn the lessons of history (as PhilipL said this downward spiral is oh so reminiscent of the 1960's decline) and please realise that if we want something different to happen then we must do something different!

But the problem with your idea tnd, is that the people who really matter, ie the core supporters of the teams already in this area, would far rather follow their own team into the Nationwide Conference than see it merged with their local rivals.

Such a merged entity would never have a foundation of die-hard fans, and as such would be doomed to failure.

Through provincial, small town thinking I fear that we Lancastrians are doomed to live in the shadows of the Mancs for ever. sad.gif

Football fans are tribal with allegiances going back generations. If Burnley and Rovers were merged, would you go and watch East Lancashire United? I wouldn't.

In the 1980s, Robert Maxwell proposed merging Reading and Oxford to form Thames Valley Royals but fans quite rightly gave his plan the boot.

He also tried it with Hibs and Hearts and they did likewise Jim. The common denominator of all this is that none of em have won a bean since! In fact Reading would prob be history but for the false input of Madjeski. Their crowds and their ambitions are every bit as bleak now as they were then.

And all those middle aged die-hards who took to the streets to complain vigorously are now dribbling and smelling of urine in their nursing homes whilst their grandchildren are buying Arsenal / MU shirts. Ugh!

But the problem with your idea tnd, is that the people who really matter, ie the core supporters of the teams already in this area, would far rather follow their own team into the Nationwide Conference than see it merged with their local rivals.

Such a merged entity would never have a foundation of die-hard fans, and as such would be doomed to failure.

Just how many truly 'die- hard' fans do you think we have Tris? Come on be honest! I'll wager its not as many as you think. Let me give you a clue.

When we were in the old 3rd div (and rem that was just a few short years after dropping out of the old 1st Div) we had about 7000. Meanwhile Bolton PNE and Burnley went down to the 4th and their fan base of 'die hard' fans reduced to about 3000-5000! ohmy.gif

At that rate of decline just what do you think any of those would attract on the Conference? huh.gif

Given that we therefore have approx 5000 true die hards we are better upsetting them than the rest!b Just like the political parties, they dont give a stuff about their dyed in the wool voters they just pander to the floating vote for support.

Of course nobody (and especially me) wants us to merge with our neighbours in an ideal world but unfortunately there is no such thing.

BTW Have you lot ever heard of King Canute? Cos you are all beggining to act like him. rover.gif

Edited by thenodrog

'He also tried it with Hibs and Hearts and they did likewise Jim. The common denominator of all this is that none of em have won a bean since!'

AHHHHH.... now there lies the crux of the problem theno!!

ALL of the Lancashire town clubs DO have traditions and have had major success in the past and some most noticably in the present i.e. Rovers and Bolton to an extent.

He also tried it with Hibs and Hearts and they did likewise Jim. The common denominator of all this is that none of em have won a bean since! In fact Reading would prob be history but for the false input of Madjeski.

Careful what you're saying. We had a benefactor by the name of J Walker. Was his false input?

I wouldn't imagine Oxford and Reading fans are bothered about winning anything so long as they continue as separate entitities. Inter-town rivalry is what makes football in this country so special; merging teams into big "regional" clubs would not work.

ALL of the Lancashire town clubs DO have traditions and have had major success in the past and some most noticably in the present i.e. Rovers and Bolton to an extent.

So please explain why are our crowd figures declining so abysmally? Especially given that we won the prem title (ffs) and the Worthy cup?

And when you've explained that SG please offer a realistic solution cos I dont have one.

(granted Notlob have done exceptionally well but we would still be in the 2nd / 3rd without one mans input.....the like of which we will never see again sad.gif ).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.