BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Aston Villa. Post match chat

rover6

Good game, and the most entertained I've been at Ewood for a while. However, our defence was a shambles. Amoruso has no positional sense what so ever. What was he doing for Villa's first goal!?! He's usually good in the air, but I think he won about 5balls in the air today. Not good enough.

Tugay found his imaginary friend too often once again.

Positives were Dickov, Emerton, Youri (I can't spell his 2nd name) and Ferguson. I challenge any of the Fergie doubters to knock him after today.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One point gained, not two lost tongue.gif

Apparantly Villa had good chances to win it as well so let's just keep positive that we actually managed to score some goals.

By the sounds of it, Fergie, Emerton & Djorkaeff had great games.

As for a Matteo~McEveley partnership...t'sk t'sk..

Amo~McEveley more like mad.gif

Lets be perfectly honest here, Villa deserved their point.

Rovers had more than enough chances, more than enough effort and a little bit of luck along the way today.

A draw is a good result against a team like Villa, and even more so when you think that they beat us here last year.

Friedel - 6 - when is he ver going to come for a cross from a set piece ? IMO he could have made an effort at the cross that brought the equaliser. He had not a chance with the first one and pulled off a couple of saves.

Gray - 6 - needed more support down the left, in particular the first half when Rovers were wide open down the right flank.

Neill - 6 - steady, not pleasant but did what he had to do.

Amoruso - 5 - far too many mistakes, clearly at fault for Villas opener. He would do far better if he concentrated on defending ONLY.

Matteo - 6 - not too bad a performance.

Emerton - 7 - great way to show he is one the way back. For those who havent seen it the goal was a beauty. Now seems to be free of the Sourness shackles.

Ferguson - 8 - my man of the match. All over the place, most forward thinking of all Rovers players and deserved his goal. Should have had a second only for a good save by the keeper.

Tugay - 4 - again we didnt realise that his mate was on the pitch. Gave 8 out of 10 balls to the opposition. Guilty of waste and should have scored when Stead laid him on with the goal beckoning.

Djorkaeff - 7 - clearly going to be a hit. Seemed lost in the first 15 minutes but quickly got to grip. Rovers now have a link man who can play off the front 2.

Jansen - 6 - up against it with 2 big defenders. Played well but needs a little more confidence with the ball.

Dickov - 8 - gave him an 8 for sheer effort alone. worked tirelssly for the team. Deserved a goal. He may only be small but if 60 percent of the Rovers squad gave as much as he does then we would be looking at European football.

subs

Flitcroft - 6 - steady

Stead - 6 - clearly has an anchor around his neck. it is hard to see where the young man is going to shed his bogey. He clearly has the talent he just needs a bit of luck.

tactics - ??????

I just cannot understand why we left our left flank so wide open in the first half. Gray was stranded once he had come inside as he had no covering left midfielder. Rovers need to work on set peices BIG STYLE. They couldnt cope with the crosses constantly put in by Villas wide men.

Overall - satisfied with a point as we keep the home run going. I dont feel as though we lost 2 points as we could easily have let this slip when they equalised. Rovers need to address the two central defenders, the keeper coming for crosses and the shackles of our future England number 9.

Roll on Middlesboro ????? tinykit.gif

..... Youri (I can't spell his 2nd name) ....

Before he joined our beloved Rovers I always called him DjerkOff but now it's quite simply Djorkaeff and he seems to be a decent if not good signing by Hughes.

Absolutely gutted we didn't get 3 points but it seems to me that Hughes' ideas have improved our play and that it will only get better. Considering how we started off this campaign i'd be happy if we're still playing in th PL next season. Bring in Hartson come january and clinch the points we need to stay up and give Hughes the time and money he needs to build a squad and we will come good. Next season: Newcastle flirting with relegation after a superb 04/05-season and Rovers back up there fighting for a place in the european competitions after an abysmal 04/05-season. Stay positive! Hopefully I will be able to afford joining the brscn.com-guys (Norwegian supporter club) on their trip to Ewood for the Birmingham game and try to contribute by screaming my lungs out and pushing the guys forward. Here's hoping attendances goes up and that Rovers will start getting points! Cheers all! rover.gif

Cannot understand why Hughes is giving Pedersen the cold shoulder.

The guy needs time on the pitch to acclimatise with the Premiership. He may well have been bad so far but the signs were there that he was coming to terms with the English game and after his goal and involvement in Gallagher's goal versus Bournemouth, now is the perfect time to ease him in.

Not even on the bench and Jansen on the left makes us very vulnerable down that side. Please see sense Sparky.

We actually did look quite threating going foward, but the defense was terrible especially from set pieces

Player Ratings

Friedel - 6 - Made one good save from Carlton Cole.

Neill - 7 - A good solid game

Amo - 5 - He was lucky not to cost us a goal, mis timed headers clearances staright up in the air, poor game.

Matteo - 6 - Nothing outstanding

Gray - 6 - Got foward a lot but left us short at the backa couple of times.

Emerton - 8 - It was great to see him running at defenders, well taken goal.

Tugay - 5 - Didn't influence the game at all

FERGUSON - 9 1/2 - Magnificent, worked hard all game. Made bursting runs through the centre, some great passing. Deserved MOTM.

Jansen - 5 - Didn't do much

Djorkaeff - 7 - a good solid debut, brilliant pass for emerton's goal.

Dickov - 9 - Worked his socks of.

---------

Flitty - 6 - Few good tackles but he aien't a winger now is he.

Stead - 6 - One great turn but that was it, gave ball away a couple of times and kinda fell over when he had shooting oppurtunity.

---------

Overall a more than deserved points rover.gif

Edited by grizfoot

I think its clear to see where our problems are.

The central defence is a shambles, yet another goal conceded to a set piece. Amoruso (aka Bungle) is not Premiership quality, has no positional sense and obviously thinks he's a better player than he actually is. I would hope Souness comes in for him in the transfer window but I doubt even he would make the same mistake twice. Matteo ditto. He's 1st division quality at best. I have a sneaking feeling Sparky will go for Keown on a short term contract like Djorkaeff. Plus when Todds fit you can guarantee he'll play.

Central midfield was better, but Tugay had a poor game. Ferguson on the other hand had a stormer. Its about time in my opinion.

The Wizard of Oz enigma that is Brett Emerton (aka Dracula - doesn't like crosses) had a good game again and took his goal well. Problem is we dont have a natural goalscorer, just forwards who graft. Hats off to Paul Dickov again, he ran himself into the ground but never really looked like scoring.

We need another centre half, probably two, a creative midfielder and a forward who knows where the back of the net is.

Djorkaeff had a good game I thought, great through ball for Emerton's goal.

Time to ship out the rubbish at Xmas I reckon. We'll see how good Sparky is in the transfer game.

2 points dropped I'm afraid.

Accyrover

Edited by accyrover

Fair result, Villa would have felt aggrieved if they hadn't got something from it (not that I care if they'd been upset).

Dickov was again absolutely astounding. His work rate and general play is like a breath of fresh air considering some of the "stars" we've had in the last couple of seasons.

Emerton is finally starting to show what he's capable of. And a lovely goal.

But my oh my! Have we any decent defenders on the books? Or a defence that can play as a unit? Hopefully Santa Williams will deliver a week late present to M Hughes Esq.

My nephew attended his first ever overs match (my dad is trying to turn him from the dark side - he is a ManUre supporter) and he thoroughly enjoyed it and wants to go again. Might be making progress.....

One of the most entertaining games at Ewood for many moons (Utd last season execpeted and that was just pure tension) so I've enjoyed my Saturday for a change.

Seems to me Hughes is taking things in the right direction but he has a lot of defensive problems to resolve. The more creative players are being encouraged to do just that - create. Dickov, Ferguson, Emerton, Youri (can't spell his name) played very well. I thought Jansen was a bit too deep throughout the first half yet in the opening period of the second half he started to get forward, made a couple of chances and was promptly subbed. Tugay was missing for most of the game and when he did appear passed to the Villa.

Defensively we were a shambles. I'm hoping the positive effect the new manager has had on the midfield and forwards will translate to the defence. Seems to me we know Neil and Gray can do it, perhaps they just need to gain a little more confidence. Matteo and Amo just didn't work as a partnership today and on the basis of this performance Short/Todd should be the centre pair. There is plenty to work on.

Brad pulled off some good saves but seemed a little nervous. Someone on RR made the point he doesn't dominate the penalty area. I've never thought of that before but it may be true. He needs to be more positve in collecting corners, crosses etc?

I thought John Stead unlucky, his confidence seems low and a couple of times he got the ball stuck between his feet when last season he would have scored. I hope Sparky will be able to persevere with him, Gally, Pedersen and Jansen as these players can be an exciting part of our future. I wouldn't be surprised to hear MGP has been allowed to return to Norway early just to help him settle and perhaps sort out a few things at home.

Have to say the crowd figure is very worrying. I'd put the Villa fans at 4,000 which puts the home support at around 16,000+. Still after Bournemouth it can't be a great shock. We need plenty more games like this, open attacking play with chances and goals if we are going to get the crowds back. Rovers so often flatter to deceive it's vital we get in a whole season of consistent performances.

Dickov, Ferguson, Emerton, Youri (can't spell his name) played very well.

Go and have a lie down, Mr B!

You've actually paid Ferguson a compliment?!

Your founder membership of BFIS will be revoked soon. laugh.gif

Just watched the replay. What a wonderfully entertaining game!

Definitely a point gained- Villa could easilly have turned us over had they a touch more faith in the munificence of Lorenzo.

Suffice to say that the recoveries of Short and Todd in time to face Chelsea and Liverpool should avert the cricket scores Amo and Matteo would otherwise incur.

Sad that Jansen did not show the confidence he should have taken recently but Emo is really beginning to look the genuine article.

Bravo Djorkaeff and great to see Ferguson ram the critical words I penned about his Charlton performance back up the Word Processor. Dickov is fantastic- forget whether he has quality or not; just think what he would do if the quality around him were playing quality football!

Huge black marks against Tugay- sorry you are one of my heroes but you should have run that game. Villa were (relative) softies and tthere was no excuse for invisible friend passing today. Tempus fugit. And the Blackburn public... that attendance was utterly pathetic. This is the mid- 1960's all over again.

Dickov, Ferguson, Emerton, Youri (can't spell his name) played very well.

Go and have a lie down, Mr B!

You've actually paid Ferguson a compliment?!

Your founder membership of BFIS will be revoked soon. laugh.gif

I might get to like him if this carries on biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif I thought he played really well. My only major concern was when he had a long conversation with Youri, who came away looking very confused biggrin.gif

Even started to call Emerton "Emo" and Brett today. Makes me feel good when I see they CAN do it.

Yeah I havent been able to watch the new improved Brett - but I cant wait to spend a match NOT screaming RUN YOU LAZY OZZY @#/? RUUUUUUUUUUUUUN - USE THE BLOODY TOUCHLINE - CROSS - SHOOT - ARGGGHGHHGHGHGHG

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.