SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Aston Villa. Post match chat

rover6

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The shear bias, exageration and aggressive tone on the Villa site really does show just how lucky we are to have a site as well run as this.

Without watching the game or the highlights, what strikes me is that once again the team has stepped up a gear and put in a very decent second half performance. Appears to me that Hughes really has what it takes to rally the team at the half time break and get the best out of the players. Very impressive.

Can't find the post now but Matteo is a joke!!

He isnt fit to wear the shirt. It was his fault for the 2nd goal. There was no need to or him to put it out of play, he COULD HAVE (like you could have paid more attention in school) played it t neill or back to brad but no he played it into touch like a ######. that resulted in the throw then the corner and the 2nd corner that they scored from

Joke

i cant justify it now cs im ###### and off out.

seeya LATER

Im pleased with today, entertaining game and for the first time in a long long while we look like a premiership team and look a good threat to goal. Unfortunately the defence is getting worse.

Dickov, ferguson and emerton were EXCELLENT! Youri had a good debut, jansen was ok, tugay wasnt bad.

The defence, im not gonna bother talking about it but everyone knew the equaliser was mins away.

And a special mention for jon stead....oh god. Now i remember being a bit worried last season when we signed him and he scored and everyones raving and talking about england. I was cautious although i kinda jumped on the stead bandwagon after the fulham game and i will always be thankful to him for keeping us up, because there is no doubt about it, he kept us up. Watching him though i just think he was a lower league player who was getting the lucky breaks. I remember the newcastle game thinking he did nothing, then he scored. This season he has been trying hard and having shots, aslong as he does that im happy, however we cant carry him for long because we need the points. Mark Hughes obviously thought the same and dropped hm today. I saw him warming up and thought, bring him on for youri and he will do ok and hopefully get his first goal. He came on and i dont think i could have looked too much further out of my depth than he did. He was terrible, and the dissapointment i could hear from all angles was painful. I kept hearing people whispering 'hes lost it' and today he looked knackered after 3 mins and couldnt do anything! I really am praying that he comes good and proves everyone wrong, part of me thinks after he gets a goal he will be fine and back on track, another part of me thinks we have a league 1 striker out of his depth.

Edited by Blackpool_Rover

Guest Kamy100

Definately one of the most entertaining games that I have seen at Ewood for a while. Going forwards (especially the second half) we looked very exciting and full of ideas just didn't get the breaks in the penalty area a couple of times in the second half. Having said that I thought that Villa were excellent and fully merited their point. When they went forward they had the cutting edge.

What can I say about the defence from the first minute (when amrouso) fell over to the last we were a shambles. Disorganised, lack of communication and lack of technique. All the defenders gave the ball away to much and commited basic defensive mistakes such as not tracking runners or playing as a unit. At set pieces we were all over the place, it was more luck than judgement that Villa didn't punish us more. I don't know how but we need to get the defence sorted out. Coach them to play as a unit and to communicate with each other, we also lack a leader at the back who controls everything.

The plus points were the performances of Dickov, Emerton and Ferguson. All of whom played out of their skins, I saw Ferguson walking of the pitch and he looked gutted to have dropped the 2 points good reaction in my opinion shows that he wants to win and cares that the team has not won. Djorkeff played well to. Some of his movement and touches were great once he gains a bit more fitness he should bring another dimension to our attacking play.

Last of all I have to mention Johnathan Stead. When he came on he was full of life but after miskicking when he had a chance to score and then when burst into the box and picked the wrong option when crossing all confidence seemed to drain away and I really felt for him. Still think that he had the ability to score a lot of goals at this level. Maybe a spell in the reserves to build up his confidence and then bring him back might be the answer. Hope that people don't knock the lad to much as he really needs the support of all the fans (as Jansen has had).

Even though Stead still hasn't scored, I'm not that worried.

Hughes was a stricker and he must have gone through a similar period in his carreer.

So, i'm sure he will be able to support Stead and help him get back to goals. Maybe a few games in reserves would be good for him...

To be honest Stead didn't play that long today but whilst he was on he did a great turn on the ball and was unlucky not to get a penalty*

* please check english dictionary if you've forgetton the meaning of this word wink.gif

Surely playing him in the reserves would result in an even bigger loss of confidence? It's true we cannot afford to carry a striker that isn't performing but it's at the top level he needs to score and peform. If he plays in the reserves he's going to be lacking in first team fitness/experience and it will be an even larger dent to his confidence than being dropped to the subs bench.

Entertaining game - draw a fair result. Good ref.

Emerton was superb but needs to learn to cross the ball to become the top player he could be.

Ferguson had a good game but should not be playing at the same time as Tugay.

Jansen is NOT a wide left midfielder!!

We do not have a single threatening striker. Hard work is not enough. Dickov could not have tried harder but his passing is often awful.

Friedel has lost his authority and cannot kick properly ( ? leg still injured ) - still made one brilliant save, though.

Both full backs were adequate but our centre backs couldn't defend set pieces to save their lives. Villa looked likely to score from every corner and attacking free kick. Big, big problem.

Biggest problem is the old chestnut of the crowd numbers.

LET KIDS IN FREE WITH A PAYING ADULT....GIVE HALF PRICE TICKETS TO SEASON TICKET HOLDERS TO PASS ON AS THEY SEE FIT.....ENCOURAGE AND FACILITATE WALK ON SUPPORT....ABOLISH THE PREVIOUS ATTENDANCE REGISTERS AND LET ANYONE WHO WILL BUT A TICKET ATTEND ANY GAME....

We have ranted on about this for too long. Something needs doing last season....

LET KIDS IN FREE WITH A PAYING ADULT....GIVE HALF PRICE TICKETS TO SEASON TICKET HOLDERS TO PASS ON AS THEY SEE FIT.....ENCOURAGE AND FACILITATE WALK ON SUPPORT....ABOLISH THE PREVIOUS ATTENDANCE REGISTERS AND LET ANYONE WHO WILL BUT A TICKET ATTEND ANY GAME....

The club dont have the balls to do it tash

I'm happy that we haven't lost, but again we throw away a lead in the dying minutes. I'm glad to hear that Djorkaeff had a good debut, with surely more to come from him. Emerton sounds like he had a good game and I must say that under Hughes he has looked a different player. Our defence is shocking and any strike force who sees Amoruso and Matteo in the team, will fancy their chances. This has to be sorted out, now or in January.

Just listened to an interview with Hughes and he says he isw not happy that we have conceded yet again fom a set peice and that is something they are going to address in training? When? All the coaching staff go away this week with Wales don't they? mad.gif

? I think you will find that Mark II and Eddie will still be at the helm. It's only Mark Hughes who is contracted for the next two Wales games.

Just watched the highlights. Not happy about their goals, they could both have been avoided fairly easily. We need to take our chances a bit more confidently but thought both our goals were crackers.

Surely Stead should have had a penalty? He was pushed over and elbowed in the chest. Still, who knows how to take a penalty?

We've some tough games coming up so could really do without international interruptions, but at least MH will be all ours after them!

Defending still a big problem. I think Mark should be looking for a fresh goalkeeper come next summer, I was very disappointed with Encks in the Bournemouth game and I'm beginning to worry about Brad.

I think Mark should be looking for a fresh goalkeeper come next summer, I was very disappointed with Encks in the Bournemouth game and I'm beginning to worry about Brad.

OK maybe Brad can't live up to the heights of 2 years ago but he was superhuman that season. He's still a top class keeper and better than most out there. To suggest he is a factor in our current plight and to ditch him is ludicrous There's certainly no keepers we could get who are proven better at the moment. I'd be more concerned if Brad had let Ferguson and Emertons goals in!

The defence is perceived as a problem and that we need reinforcements urgently, yet we already have NINE defenders - Short, Matteo, Amoruso, Johansson, Todd, McEveley, Neill, Gresko and Gray - on the books.

Are those players not good enough or are they not being coached properly?

I think Mark should be looking for a fresh goalkeeper come next summer, I was very disappointed with Encks in the Bournemouth game and I'm beginning to worry about Brad.

OK maybe Brad can't live up to the heights of 2 years ago but he was superhuman that season. He's still a top class keeper and better than most out there. To suggest he is a factor in our current plight and to ditch him is ludicrous There's certainly no keepers we could get who are proven better at the moment. I'd be more concerned if Brad had let Ferguson and Emertons goals in!

I'm not suggesting ditching him - I merely suggested we should be thinking ahead.

I'd be worried if he'd let Emerton and Ferguson's goals in too - I thought he was our goalkeeper....... ohmy.gif

What can I say about the defence from the first minute (when amrouso) fell over to the last we were a shambles. Disorganised, lack of communication and lack of technique. All the defenders gave the ball away to much and commited basic defensive mistakes such as not tracking runners or playing as a unit. At set pieces we were all over the place, it was more luck than judgement that Villa didn't punish us more. I don't know how but we need to get the defence sorted out. Coach them to play as a unit and to communicate with each other, we also lack a leader at the back who controls everything.

Exactly. The surrendering of sloppy goals isn't anything to do with mistakes or bad luck. We are quite simply shocking in that department. Reinforcements, and proven ones at that, are a must in January. The goals we gave up today were embarrassing.

Surely playing him in the reserves would result in an even bigger loss of confidence? It's true we cannot afford to carry a striker that isn't performing but it's at the top level he needs to score and peform. If he plays in the reserves he's going to be lacking in first team fitness/experience and it will be an even larger dent to his confidence than being dropped to the subs bench.

Or he can regain confidence if he starts to score in the reserve team.

We just can't afford to keep giving him first team chances, specially when we have other players that also deserve a chance.

A bit better today. Yuri's ball for the second goal was pure magic wasn't it. He looks class as we expoected him to be. Dickov works so hard he deserves some decent support and some better service but we can't seem to get it right just now.

I know he has his fans but I must say that Amo was F'ing crap again today. Both goals were down to his failure to pick up his man and he was trurned repeatedly. What with him and Neill at the back its no wonder we let so many goals in. Judging by the rest of the player's reaction after the 2nd goal I reckon they're sick to death of the big useless pony as well.

sad.gif

Just goes to show what happens with pressure.

I mean some of the media and even general football fans were suggesting towards the end of last term (and the start of this season) that Stead is our best player in general, which was ludicrous, he was just a under-rated player from the lower regions buzzing with confidence, now he has had pressure on him he is failing.

I think its best to put him in the reserves and see what he can do.

I think Sparky is trying hard to make sure Jansen gets a game, he obviously admires and likes Matt and is trying to fit him into the team, albeit as a left-midfielder, because players like Dickov, Djorkaeff and Bothroyd deserve chances, yet he still wants Matt to feature.

Pedersen is our man for left-mid, or De Pedro of course.

Think of all the fuss we had last season so desperately seeking a left-winger, now we have two and don't use them..

Edited by RoverDrake

I came away from todays game more encouraged than I've been for a year or so. During the last year I've got into many an argument on this board, and with my friends, about my negativity, but the reason I've been so negative is that I just couldn't see where the creativity and class we'd need to be a decent team would come from. Today I saw.

We lined up in a 4-1-4-1 formation with Tugay sitting in front of the defence and Djorkaeff in midfield supporting the lone striker Dickov. Both Flitcroft and Stead were dropped to the bench. I worried about this before the game as I wasn't sure Dickov had the talent required to play up front on his own. I was wrong to worry.

After saying that Villa were the better team in the first half, but we did look better going forward than we have for many a game. In what was an open game throughout, Villa had the better chances during that first period though and should really have gone in at half time in front.

They'd been threatening for a while when they finally scored after about 20 minutes. Their right-back was given the freedom to Ewood to run from deep and supply Angel. Amoruso, holding his position in a ridiculous attempt at winning an offside, allowed Angel to run off him into a gaping 20 yard gap between our two centre-halves. Angel scored easily. Dreadful, dreadful defending.

Villa looked comfortable, in control, and seemed a threat whenever they went forward. So it was a bit of a surprise when we equalised. A good ball down the right channel saw Dickov turn his defender well, get to the by-line, and put in a peach of a low cross to the front post. Ferguson, making a fantastic, determined run from deep, met the ball with a deft touch to guide it past Sorensen. Great goal.

There were other chances at both ends. Friedel made a sharp save from Cole at one point and Emerton spurned a chance to shoot when he seemed clean through, but mainly that was that for the half.

We started the second half on fire. With Ferguson controlling midfield we attacked with menace and put Villa under real pressure. Sadly though we were awful defensively and on the few occasions Villa broke they looked like they would score every time. This must have made it an exciting game for the neutral but it didn't do my heart much good.

After about an hour the ineffective Jansen was replaced by Flitcroft, with Flitcroft playing wide right and Emerton moving over to the left. I think the thinking behind it was to get Emerton to occupy Villa's right-back (De la Cruz) who was driving forward at every opportunity - it paid off almost straight away.

A great move saw Djorkaeff link up with Emerton down the left channel. Emerton's finish, beating Sorensen at his near post with the outside of his right boot, was class. Ewood erupted.

Ten minutes later the tiring Djorkaeff was replaced by Stead and our control on the game was relinquished. Stead was awful and most of our attacking moves broke down when the ball reached his feet, resulting in Villa winning the ball back easily and attacking with regularity. We survived a disallowed goal and Friedel made two or three good saves before Villa's pressure paid off.

A corner was met by a free header at the far post by Delaney (guess who was marking him - yep Neill) who knocked the ball back across goal to the unmarked Mellberg. Mellberg scored.

We responded well and put Villa under more pressure, but neither team looked like they were going to get a winner. So it proved.

The change in formation worked well. Djorkaeff and Ferguson took it in turns to support Dickov - the extra man in midfield gave them both the freedom to join up with the attack. Dickov played superbly as the lone striker. I didn't rate him before we bought him and I'd only begrudgingly given him credit up to now, but I thought he was excellent today. Not only did he hold the ball up well but he turned defenders and laid passes off with accuracy. Man of the match easily. Emerton was a threat throughout and was involved in most of our best moments. The four players mentioned linked up superbly at times, often interchanging positions, and Villa couldn't handle it.

Jansen and Tugay were poor. Jansen will have to improve if he wants to fill the left wing spot and Tugay just looks past it. Stead was shocking when he came on. He's so lacking in confidence it's untrue.

By far and away the worst aspect of the team today though was our defence. They were scarily shocking. Amoruso was awful, Matteo not much better. Neill and Gray did ok going forward but were poor defensively. Don't put all the blame on individuals though. We don't defend well as a team and our back four don't play as a unit. Nobody covers anyone else, there seems to be a lack of communication and confidence between the defence and Friedel, and we lose concentration at set-pieces.

If we continue with this formation (and I hope we do) we'll need someone new to sit in front of the back four. I still think Flitcroft can do this better than anyone else in our team. We'll also need an improvement in Jansen or someone else on the left, and we need Short back in defence. I'm also not sure if the new formation will work away from home. It was a very open game today and we'd surely be carved open if we played like this away from Ewood.

Still, I'm happier than I've been for a while. I'm confident that our defence will improve with coaching over time. I also think the signing of Djorkaeff gives us so many more options going forward, and he allows the likes of Ferguson and Emerton to play to their strengths. This is the first game where I think Hughes has really made a difference to us tactically. It was a vast improvement on what I've seen over the last year.

Thanks scotty- that neatly articulates my feelings.

At last, Rovers re going into mtches with a tactical game plan that makes sense.

Still many worries- will Jansen make it all the way back? will Stead keep plugging way until the confidence surges back? can Djorkaeff keep going through full season? who can make the midfield berth next to Ferguson their own?

And that defence- rightly slaughtered by all match reports this morning.

But deep down, I'd rather have the players and management I now see at Ewood than the squads and managers in at least half a dozen other Premiership clubs. It is probably going to be a long haul to survive in the Prem this season but I don't feel the numbing worry I was beginning to feel with Souness at the start of this season.

Good review that Scotty and really refreshing that we agree on most of what went on. Have to say just watched again on Football first and the defending does get worse with each viewing. The fact is though that as a team we are not defending. The two centre-halves are struggling but they are getting very little help.

It's all well and good people slating the defence for the set-pieces but it's often the midfield not helping. Emerton was actually marking Delaney for the 2nd goal, Flitcroft was marking Angel for the disallowed goal and another knock down, although at least credit Flitcroft for stepping out to leave Angel offside for the disallowed one. I'm not intending to single out these two though as they were not the only ones that did it.

From one set piece near the end, Stead was on the halfway line and Dickov in the box, Why? Because Dickov challenges whilst Stead loses headers to blokes half his size like de la Cruz. Like Scott says this is something we can and will work on of that i'm sure. Overall though pretty positive.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.