BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England V Wales Wc Qualifier Preview

Ozz

The silence was after the anthems.

Must confess the booing of the Welsh Anthem was so bad, I turned to watching the Scotland game. When are the English going to grow up?

Some cracking results tonight= Leichenstein coming back to draw 2-2 with a Portuguese side with arguably more big star names than any other nation playing today.

Slovenia have beaten Italy 1-0 and the Republic are 0-0 with France in the dying minutes.

I read that Gresko played well for Slovenia. Coming back from 0-1 t half time to beat Latvia 4-1 was some result.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Must confess the booing of the Welsh Anthem was so bad, I turned to watching the Scotland game. When are the English going to grow up?

Grow up? You didn't like it so you spat the dummy and changed the channel? Almost every nation will boo the opposition national anthem, especially in a game between two countries so close together.

....because the playing of the English anthem in the Millenium Stadium will pass off in perfect silence. Next you'll be telling me the Scots would act the same way as the sheep botherers.

Grow up? You didn't like it so you spat the dummy and changed the channel? Almost every nation will boo the opposition national anthem, especially in a game between two countries so close together.

Im sorry phillip but what england games have you watched lately? Each of the qualifiers + the friendly games i watched i heard no booing during the opponents anthems.

Today it was only because of the media egging on the fans with all that "slay the Dragon" rubbish + the fact its one of the home nations. Scotlands anthem`s all about how they hate us and, one day, will return to slaughter those b*****d english F.F.S. Its the same as us singing about those Bu***ey folk, its just local rivalry and i think its fine. tinykit.gif

May I say that I'm extremely disapointed with the mods and admin in their slack discipline in this instance.

Glenn, I find it hard to see how this falls within the rules - need I remind a member of admin the posting guidelines? It might be an opinion but what if we were in a thread relating to racism in football and I said "Why are people so angry at racist fans at football? I hate black people and want them all dead!" Would I be allowed to continue posting with nothing more than a slap on the wrist? Surely a yellow card as an extremely formal warning should be issued? I'd be extremely disapointed if three members of mods/admin wouldn't agree with me on this case?

Firstly, re-read my post, I am NOT speaking on behalf of all mods/admin, simply my backing of a ban. I am just one voice (and one that stays of day to day messageboard stuff mostly).

Secondly, There is no need to remind me of the posting guidlines, as I said in my initial post, I'd just re-read them prior to working out wether to back a ban or not.

Thirdly, Your example is blatent, undisputable racism where as the comments we are discussing are crass, disgusting and disrecptful but I don't see them as rascist (whilst it'd be possible to argue he's aguing that as he's a Liverpudlian with an irish passport his life less important, it's also possible he's agruing about the relevence of a minutes silence for an Irish Scouser at an England vs Wales match).

His remarks WERE offensive to some obviously, and also blatent trolling (which the post is undoubtedly doing) so yes, there is provision in the guidlines for discipline (and I'm sure the mods will take care of that if they haven't done so already), but banning is something we take VERY seriously (especially to someone with a handfull of posts, who may not be fully aware of the rules and likely penalties) and don't to lightly.

Anyway, I don't feel a public thread such as this is the place to be discussing this.

FOR THOSE WHO LIKE SKIM READ AND THEN BASE THEIR OPINIONS ON WHAT THEY HALF-READ

I AM NOT DEFENDING WHAT HE SAID, JUST THAT I CAN'T SEE WHAT WE CAN BAN HIM FOR !

It's days like today that make me wonder why I bother. I knew there was a reason I keep away from the MB.

The silence was after the anthems.

The Welsh booed the Queen when they played NI. It'll be exactly the same in Cardiff.

Today it was only because of the media egging on the fans with all that "slay the Dragon" rubbish + the fact its one of the home nations. Scotlands anthem`s all about how they hate us and, one day, will return to slaughter those b*****d english F.F.S. Its the same as us singing about those Bu***ey folk, its just local rivalry and i think its fine. tinykit.gif

Actually, I've stopped going to England games now because of the neanderthal knuckle dragging clone islanders with their ignorant booing of anthems and singing of no surrender etc.

I used the go on the kop at Anfield with my dad as a kid and I've been to Anfield as a Rovers fan many times. However, the time I've felt most threatend their was sat in the middle of the kop for England vs Paraguay when the away following was close to zero. It had that "it's about to kick off air" that every regular footy fan knows and it seemed that every England first team game had it. (Got to agree with OssyRob, the "school trip" feeling of the U21s stopped me going to them too).

especially as the welsh national anthem is, in fact, God Save the Queen, as YOU ARE, LIKE IT OR NOT STILL BRITISH

As for that post about the minutes silence, he's gone, the post's gone, its just sad that there are some people in this world like that.

Actually, I've stopped going to England games now because of the neanderthal knuckle dragging clone islanders with their ignorant booing of anthems and singing of no surrender etc.

It's also why I don't give two hoots about England's success or lack of it. Speaking generally it's probably better if we don't qualify for Germany as we will all be tarred with the same brush as these so called football fans. The whole country will be wringing it's collective hands for months as we endure yet more English hooligan sensationalaism.

I know there's a few people who think that Australian's are convicts and knuckle-draggers, but booing the opposing anthem would never happen here. But hey it's different here in Australia, fans from opposing teams can sit next to each other without too much trouble.

I just think that there's a simple rule, when it's your anthem, sing it loud and proud, but when it's the opposing teams show some respect and stay silent!

As for the game, England never looked like losing and Wales were terrible.

I was in the family stand and was disgusted when a guy a few rows along to me left started shouting during the minutes silence. The people who were booing were doing it at him and not at the silence itself couldnt quite make out what he said but i didnt think much of the people who tried to challenge the bloke during silence. mad.gif As well as being hungover this morning I also feel dirty for cheering on Gary Nev***e and Bec***m. sad.gif

I'm missing a bunch here. Someone want to PM me what was said and by whom?

Booing the neighbor's national anthem? What are they, Canadian?

If they do could you fill the rest of us in too? This thread has been baffling me all morning.

I'm missing a bunch here. Someone want to PM me what was said and by whom?

Booing the neighbor's national anthem? What are they, Canadian?

If they do could you fill the rest of us in too? This thread has been baffling me all morning.

A member posted a remark about the booing during the one minute silence for Ken Bigley prior to the game. The remarks are best discribed as crass and insensitive. Personally I can understand why some may wish to question holding the minute's silence; however there are ways to do this and ways that are just plain offensive to people. The post that has been removed fell into the "downright stupid and insensitve " category. A number of members have expressed their views on the MB and privatley about the individual concerned

After some debate we, admins and mods, felt it best to remove the post. Apologies to those who are confused by what follows in the rest of thread, we had hoped to avoid opening a very big can of worms.

If people want to discuss the rights and wrongs of the Ken Bigley silence and the behaviour of some fans - no problem. Just keep it clean please.

Think that sums up what the admins/mods feel about the matter smile.gif

so its ok for the taffs to boo are anthem is it??and as for the minute silence for them to to so called welsh fans to say english t*** and english b****** is ok ,i was sat right under them mad.gif

I think the problem in England is it's now becoming pretty standard for the oppositions national anthem to be booed. Of course it happens in other countries from time to time for a variety of very stupid reasons; however in england it is now the trend. The sad thing is that as the quality of the national football team improves, the so called supporters can't even been wise enough to let rivalries and even "hatred" or dislike be dealt by, by those on the field, as it's quite likely that england will come out on top and that would shut the opposition up in the best possible way. I'm disgusted to see such things as booing during national anthems, I don't always find them particularly moving things, but it is an act of respect towards the fans present in the stadium, and to the country itself, to simply let them have their couple of minutes on their own so to speak, before the real thing gets started.

This issue of booing anthems astounds me. England fans on their best behaviour yesterday with the complete drowning out of the Welsh anthem as well as the old favourite of No Surrender to the IRA rolleyes.gif Welsh much akin to their performance in Cardiff tried to boo GSTQ against NI. If it is true that some Welsh fans shouted obscenties at Ken Bigley during the minutes silence then they have no human decency whatsoever, sad really. Unfortunately England really need to get their house in order over this, the respect or lack of respect shown to opposition national anthems is disgraceful. Surely there must be someone here or a friend who booed Land of My Father yesterday, if so what are your reasons for doing so?

We could take a leaf out of Rugby's book, been to Lansdowne, Millstad and havent heard the anthem booed at all.

Edited by B.R.F.C

My impression is that booing of anthems is fairly standard accross the world. Its I've never bothered me when Scots, Italians and Germans have booed GSTQ, but then again I'm not that fussed about singing it either.

Its strange that when an English crowd do it everyone gets their knickers in a twist, especially English people.

.I know there's a few people who think that Australian's are convicts and knuckle-draggers, but booing the opposing anthem would never happen here. But hey it's different here in Australia, fans from opposing teams can sit next to each other without too much trouble.

Give it a rest.

Your cricket crowds are the only ones in the world that boo the opposition (especially England). Nowhere else in the world (not even in roughneck South Africa) does this happen.

One or two thoughts on the England v Wales match:

1. Those who decided that an international football match is an appropriate place to mourn Ken Bigley made a serious error of judgment. What happened to Mr Bigley was appalling, but his death was not a national tragedy. Prayers for Mr Bigley and his family in church on Sunday morning, yes, but a football match, definitely not.

2. There was much talk before the game of reviving the Home International Championship. The reaction of the neanderthal England and Wales fans who booed the respective national anthems of both countries, their general behaviour throughout the game plus the disrespect shown to Mr Bigley, showed why it should NEVER be revived.

3. Wayne Rooney has reaffirmed my faith in football. To see such a brilliant talent in an England shirt makes my old heart leap with joy.

For me Jim, Mr Bigley's death was a national tragedy. His story had gripped the entire nation. The story was the focus on the national media for a long time. Sadly for being used as the terrorists digusting propaganda pawn.

I see a minutes silence as a mark of respect and for me and a hell of a lot of other people my respect, thoughts and prayers are with the spirit of Ken Bigley and his family.

If I may talk about what happened on the pitch for a moment...

England were very impressive. I haven't seen our national side play passing football with such effective ball retention ever.

To think we created quite a few opportunities, scored two and barely let Wales have a sight of goal is quite amazing. You may say, 'it was only Wales' but they were playing a very defensive formation and players like Bellamy, Giggs and Hartson are a genuine threat for most.

Rooney was outstanding and Lampard had a very good game. As I have stated before, imo the key to England doing well is fielding a genuine defensive midfielder. Butt's presence enabled the rest of the midfielders to express themselves going forward.

Imo Nicky Butt is now indispensible, which means that one of Gerrard, Lampard or Beckham must make way. I'd drop Beckham (nice goal, shame about everything else) and play Gerrard on the right hand side of the 'diamond'.

Imo Nicky Butt is now indispensible, which means that one of Gerrard, Lampard or Beckham must make way. I'd drop Beckham (nice goal, shame about everything else) and play Gerrard on the right hand side of the 'diamond'.

I thought the same...but against better teams I don't think we could play three strikers, I think it would be Lampard at the attacking point, Gerrard on the left then Rooney up front in place of one of the other strikers.

Beckham will not be dropped and Gerrard has to play...it will be interesting to see what happens.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.