BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

Went to The Dressers yesterday for the first time in perhaps 20 years. The pub food was pretty good, I had the burger which was tasty (unusual in a pub in my experience), and came with bacon, cheese and black pudding. The black pudding was the worst I've tasted. Mrs P had linguine, a huge plateful which she only managed to eat half, which was very good. Two mains, a pint, glass of wine £26. Good speedy service.

What did strike me though was the missed opportunity after the fire. The place has been rebuilt, presumably through an insurance payout, and the end result lacks any imagination. It's fake olde worlde, bits of exposed wall, mulberry paintwork, distressed plasterwork, dingy etc. The end result looks like a huge chain took the cheap option on a standard refit. Disappointing and takes away from the whole experience.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

Didn't know it's a listed building.

By the whole experience I mean everything connected to the evening. Everything which contributes to the overall ambience. Poor service can detract from great food, poor toilets might make on question general hygiene etc.

In the case of The Dressers, for me, the internal decor could be significantly better and while it's a question of personal taste I'd suggest the rebuild could have resulted in much nicer surroundings.

I don't know if listed status means a building can't be altered internally, The Dressers has been altered significantly over the years.

My house is subject to an Article 4 Direction which means external features cannot be altered. Does the same apply to a listed building?

Is it still a pub? Approximately 80% of downstairs seems to be given over to dining and the upstairs is a Chinese restaurant.

I agree with you Paul re The Dressers.

It was a great pub but it is now soulless and full of the same brickabrack that adorns too many pub walls. The beer is also so so. If going for a beer I prefer the Top Lock, for food it is now The Royal Oak although that has not always been the case.

Although I should add I did have a pleasant time after the last game of last season when 20 or so of us had a few beers after the game.

Edited by preston blue

Amazing how views vary.

Have been to The Dressers on a handful occasions over the last three months and what they do, I think they do exceptionally well. Also, think the internals are pretty good which adds to the feel of the place.

I also like the Top Lock but I don't think it's in the same league as The Dressers.

The driver these days is food and unless a 'pub' has an extremely viable food option then it will struggle.

To me, Dressers and Spead Eagle, Mellor are the two outstanding operations of their type in the area.

Edited by Mercerman

Amazing how views vary.

Have been to The Dressers on a handful occasions over the last three months and what they do, I think they do exceptionally well. Also, think the internals are pretty good which adds to the feel of the place.

I also like the Top Lock but I don't think it's in the same league as The Dressers.

The driver these days is food and unless a 'pub' has an extremely viable food option then it will struggle.

To me, Dressers and Spead Eagle, Mellor are the two outstanding operations of their type in the area.

Take a trip to The Royal Oak Riley Green Mercer, top quality pub grub and great beer.

Beers a bit pricey, but food great and very reasonable.

And some of the "punters" are very pleasant as well :-)

If he's lucky he won't see all of us in there at the same time!!! The beer is very good. I don't drink beer often but always do at the Royal Oak.

Locally, within 2 miles, we have The Fat Bull, The Dressers, Golden Lion, Hoghton Arms, The Boatyard, Alghero's and The Royal Oak. For me the Oak stands head and shoulders above the rest.

As MM says it's all about opinions. I enjoyed my food at the Dressers but found the place dingy.

After checking TripAdvisor, my sister and I saw the ''best'' restaurant in Blackburn was The Observatory pub, up near the Hospital.

I was sceptical, but we both had a great meal and well worth a trip.

Nice clean surroundings, great staff, not a massive choice on the menu, but the pub classics. Deserts were very nice too!

A decent pub tea for anyone who wants to try somewhere new.

Edited by rog of the rovers

After checking TripAdvisor, my sister and I saw the ''best'' restaurant in Blackburn was The Observatory pub, up near the Hospital.

I was sceptical, but we both had a great meal and well worth a trip.

Nice clean surroundings, great staff, not a massive choice on the menu, but the pub classics. Deserts were very nice too!

A decent pub tea for anyone who wants to try somewhere new.

Just been taken over I think, saw an article in the Telegraph a few weeks back.

Glad it was good.

• Backroom

Just been taken over I think, saw an article in the Telegraph a few weeks back.

Glad it was good.

yep a friend of mine took it over she used to run St Johns Tavern on the Boulevard 8 years or so ago

• Backroom

Anyone recommend a takeaway that delivers in the Rishton/Clayton/Great Harwood area?

Depends what you're after?

Indian has to be the meal deal for 2 at Cinammon Spice in Accy, it's great and you'll do well to finish it!

Greasy chicken I always use Freddies which is also in Accy.

Edited by madon

• Moderation Lead

Freddy's is the one! Red salt on the chips!

I always get (Indian) take away from Anar Kali (Farmer's Glory) I think that's a hard place to match, and they give you a free beer for your troubles! (They don't deliver though).

Edited by K-Hod

Just back from brittany. Can honestly say I never had a bad meal in the 40 or so I ate out. Relaxed service but very friendly and welcoming. Great presentation even in scruffy looking little places. Waiters in jeans and t shirts but they knew their food. My only problem is that just occasionally I longed for a meal with proper gravy. First thing I've cooked now I'm back is shepherds pie

• Backroom

I always get (Indian) take away from Anar Kali (Farmer's Glory) I think that's a hard place to match, and they give you a free beer for your troubles! (They don't deliver though).

Did Adam Booth get you into Freddys by any chance? :tu:

Red salt !

all it is, is salt mixed with paprika