BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

Tried the Crown & Thistle at Grimehills, above Darwen, last night. For years this has been a good pub for eating but seemed to go downhill a couple of years ago. Now under new owners there is an expansion programme underway with dining now upstairs as well as down. There will also be further dining areas once an extension is complete. Very good food from an extensive menu and equally good value for money.

The Crown & Thistle used to be run by the current management at the Grey Mare on the Grane Rd, they used to do real home cooked food. I did quite a bit of work on the place from time to time and always got fed well. It's good to hear that it's on the up again. I think I'll have Sunday lunch there one day soon.

Hughesy - If you know where the football pitches are at Blacksnape, head along Roman Road towards Edgeworth and Bolton. You first pass the Red Lion and about 2 miles on you come to the Crown & Thistle in a dip on the left hand side.

Cheers mate - Yes I know the place so il probably head over there in the coming weeks. Is the Red lion still shut? They used to do good food many moons ago!

ABBEY, wtf is a hot buffolo wing?

:lol:

Overpriced. I had them in a bar in New York and it was $10 for 50 buffalo wings!!! They were real hot. Small wings for such a big animal too.

we went to tgf fridays in the trafford centre on friday night...the hot buffolo wings and the jack d glazed steaks are to die for.

If you liked TGI's you'll love the Route 66 next door, it's far better in my opinion. although if your into a rack of ribs Frankie and Benni's are the best.

Overpriced. I had them in a bar in New York and it was $10 for 50 buffalo wings!!! They were real hot. Small wings for such a big animal too.

If you liked TGI's you'll love the Route 66 next door, it's far better in my opinion. although if your into a rack of ribs Frankie and Benni's are the best.

Mmm chicken `n` ribs,my favourite,always with the little potatoes. :P

Stanley House restaurant last night. Not for the people with voracious appetites seeking value for money but a superb and relaxed dining experience all the same. I could feed a family of 4 for a fortnight for about the same cost of course but the food was excellent and very imaginative and the setting discreet and selective. A very relaxed and comfortable atmosphere overall and one imo that is rather more favourable than it's great rival Northcote, where in my experience the staff are rather too stuffed shirt, overly invasive and a tad intrusive on what really should primarily be a 'social experience' rather than a 'Northcote experience'. Stanley House is costly of course as one would expect from any 5 star but if the drinks are kept in moderation the overall cost is not too bad for a special occasion. Alternatively if the drinks are to be free flowing and excessive then consider increasing your home loan to cover it.

I'll have to diagree with you about Northcote Manor. I've only been to Stanley House once and that was a while ago so I may be out of date but it seemed good but not great value for the price. On the other hand we were at Northcote on Monday for the wife's birthday and it was almost faultless, if breathtakingly expensive. I found the staff pretty relaxed, certainly no pretensions of grandeur that you often get at Michelin places. The tomato comsomme, ostensibly the filler course to make his Great British Menu into 5 courses, was simply outstanding.

Went to the Clog and Billyio today for lunch. Had the Muncaster Crab salad, was very nice but there was too much Mayo on the white crab meat and we had a fair wait. Can't believe how much the place has changed, it looks quality.

Just had to return to the Crown & Thistle tonight - fantastico!

Tandoori chicken & prawn starter with lettuce and dijon mustard dressing was superb.

Followed by a hearty fish, chips and mushy peas main - damned large portion.

Mrs CLB had the breaded mushrooms starter followed by salmon main - equally superb.

Who needs the Ribble Valley? :lol:

Just had to return to the Crown & Thistle tonight - fantastico!

Tandoori chicken & prawn starter with lettuce and dijon mustard dressing was superb.

Followed by a hearty fish, chips and mushy peas main - damned large portion.

Mrs CLB had the breaded mushrooms starter followed by salmon main - equally superb.

Who needs the Ribble Valley? :lol:

Well I paid a visit to the Crown and Thistle yesterday, and I've got to say it was excellent. We gave the starters a miss as we like our desserts. I had the roast beef dinner, lashings of tender beef with lovely fresh crisp veg, roast potatoes and a perfect Yorkshire pudding. Mrs.UM had Mexican Chicken, really spicy and enough to feed two. The in-laws had half a roast chicken with all the trimmings and a massive portion of fish chips and mushy pea's. Young Chloe had pizza chips and beans, the pizza was freshly home made on a baguette and the chips were the best I've tasted for a long time. Bro in law had crayfish linguine and 4 of us had chocolate fudge cake for dessert. The portions are extremely generous and great value for money. All that and a round of drinks came to £58.

Another thing to point out is that the staff are very friendly and it is certainly service with a smile. Credit to what they have done with that place, it will be a goldmine once the extension is completed.

I've got to say that is one added to my list.

Pigged out proper yesterday through a combination of a work day off but with a business based evening meal. Duk in Preston for lunch which offers a slightly different but very enjoyable dining experience and the San Marco at Much Hoole in the evening.

I'm off to the dieting thread now just for the craic. :lol:

Tried the Crown & Thistle at Grimehills, above Darwen, last night. For years this has been a good pub for eating but seemed to go downhill a couple of years ago. Now under new owners there is an expansion programme underway with dining now upstairs as well as down. There will also be further dining areas once an extension is complete. Very good food from an extensive menu and equally good value for money.

Went crown and thistle over the weekend. Used to go there for the traditional english pub fare. Left dissapointed.

The specials board did not reflect what was on, the senior waitress told every diner that red snapper was now paella etc etc.. Also heard her describe the chicken dish quite differently to 2 different tables... WHY NOT JUST UPDATE THE CHALK BOARD (Doh!).

The service was poor. more like "what do you want" rather than "how may we help".

The food was indeed plentyfull for the starters. Chips homemade but soggy. tasted ok.

Peppercorn sauce, best ever tasted ..

Steak too thin to be made rare, so why acccept an order then present it medium... Tested good and was a tender cut of meat.

The other main meal was nice.

£50+ for 2, for pub food. Service / attitude needs to be improved, the older staff need to set a better example to the younger staff, who seemed to be more pleasent if not a little nervous.

One thing i though was odd, a very nice flat creen tv was on quite loud. SOAPS arnt what you go out for a meal to hear.

Edited by 3rdpillar

Pigged out proper yesterday through a combination of a work day off but with a business based evening meal. Duk in Preston for lunch which offers a slightly different but very enjoyable dining experience and the San Marco at Much Hoole in the evening.

I'm off to the dieting thread now just for the craic. :lol:

Gord, hat did you reckon to the Duk? I have heard it is good but your expert opinion would assist. I am looking for a Preston based venue for a business meal next week, I would normally go to the Chop House but fancy a change.

Gord, hat did you reckon to the Duk? I have heard it is good but your expert opinion would assist. I am looking for a Preston based venue for a business meal next week, I would normally go to the Chop House but fancy a change.

Expert? Surely you must have heard that an ex is a has been and a spurt is just a drip under pressure? ^_^

Duk was enjoyable for lunch but depending on the nature of your business I'm not sure that it's 'formal' enough. Sorry but I'm not knowledgeable enough about Preston diners to help. Only ones I've been to in the distant past were Bistro French and Heathcotes...... but both a decade or so ago.

Edited by thenodrog

Mike, if you need to be in the centre of town then Mr Heathcote's place would still be the best option if you want a good meal in quality surroundings - it's been rebranded as the Grill Room at the Olive Press but is little changed otherwise. If you can move a little out of town Inside Out on Higher Walton Road in Walton-le-Dale has been good the few times I've been there, although it's been a while. There's Thyme at the Sirloin, (which you could walk to from home!) and Gordon's recommendation of San Marco in Much Hoole is a good one if it's not too far out and quality Italian is OK.

There's a good deal on for vegetarians (or people just fancying something different) at the moment.

Greens in Didsbury Manchester (run by TV celebrity chef Simon Rimmer) is offering 3 courses plus a glass of wine for a little over £15 on Sundays and Mondays. I've been there before and the food was amazing, the mains are usually about £11.95 so it's an excellent offer.

Edited by LeChuck

Going up to Ewood for the West Ham game, are there any nice Restaurants Near to Blackburn, Staying very close to the ground and want it too be nice as it's my Birthday and the Mrs has agreed to watch the mighty rovers

Clog and Billycock at Pleasington.......... yet again. Unless you prefer Chinese or IndoPak. Clog is 3 miles away and about a fiver in a taxi. If you want something really special then try Stanley House (5-6 miles and £8-10 in a taxi).