BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Why the feck did he start out wide? 

Good question. Maybe he thought it would work out like Sam Gally did at Brentford. Maybe he thinks it's effective to play a striker out wide. I hope not.

In an interview not so long ago Mowbray said something to the effect that the most important thing is to get your best players on the pitch regardless of formations. I would have thought it was most important to get your best team on the pitch.

• Like 2

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Good question. Maybe he thought it would work out like Sam Gally did at Brentford. Maybe he thinks it's effective to play a striker out wide. I hope not.

In an interview not so long ago Mowbray said something to the effect that the most important thing is to get your best players on the pitch regardless of formations. I would have thought it was most important to get your best team on the pitch.

Did he actually say that? If so, it is worrying. I agree about having your best players on the pitch, but there is no point playing a striker on the wing when you have actual wingers. Particularly if that striker doesn't look match sharp. There is no point signing Chapman and then playing Samuel on the wing. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Did he actually say that? If so, it is worrying. I agree about having your best players on the pitch, but there is no point playing a striker on the wing when you have actual wingers. Particularly if that striker doesn't look match sharp. There is no point signing Chapman and then playing Samuel on the wing. 

'If we have three strikers that are our three best players then we have to get them on the pitch and find a way of working behind the ball'

http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/sport/15424179._We_will_try_and_find_the_right_balance____Tony_Mowbray_keeping_his_formation_options_open_as_Rovers_head_to_Morecambe/

I misremembered at bit, but it's the same gist.

From the same article:- ^^^^

'Mowbray believes having a number of systems available is essential if Rovers are to challenge for immediate promotion back to the Championship'

Is this really how teams get promoted? Chopping an changing formations. Is this how Bolton, Millwall & Sheff Utd got promoted?

Mowbray is a worry.

• Like 4

• Moderation Lead

The manager needs to know his best XI and pick them whenever available as far as I'm concerned. Changing for the sake of it upsets the rhythm and over-complicates things. Incidentally, I do think Mowbray seems to be doing exactly that and looking at things in too much detail at times and Blueboy is right, it is a bit of a worry.

4 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

'Mowbray believes having a number of systems available is essential if Rovers are to challenge for immediate promotion back to the Championship'

Is this really how teams get promoted? Chopping an changing formations. Is this how Bolton, Millwall & Sheff Utd got promoted?

Mowbray is a worry.

I seem to remember an unfancied team called Leicester City shocked the footballing world not so long ago by playing the exact same way for 40 odd games.

• Like 1

Surely you have to have a plan B or C if your plan A isn't working. The important thing is to find a plan A that suits your best players and use it most of the time, but have the flexibility to change if the opposition find a way of neutralising it. That's what I'd mean by having other plans available. Not to tinker from week to week but to change in play if necessary

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, gumboots said:

Surely you have to have a plan B or C if your plan A isn't working. The important thing is to find a plan A that suits your best players and use it most of the time, but have the flexibility to change if the opposition find a way of neutralising it. That's what I'd mean by having other plans available. Not to tinker from week to week but to change in play if necessary

If Plan A doesn't work enough to get you the results you need then you've got the wrong Plan A. Good teams rarely change formations because the way they play to start with works. Nothing wrong with changing it occasionally but Mowbray is implying he needs all these different systems and formations to achieve promotion. I think we can all agree that's nonsense. 

He appears too clever by half, a man who could talk for hours about different formations and strategies but when it comes down to it can't translate that to points on the pitch.

It's just my opinion based on the team he picked for Southend, and some odd performances last season. I may very well be talking out of my 'arris.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

'If we have three strikers that are our three best players then we have to get them on the pitch and find a way of working behind the ball'

http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/sport/15424179._We_will_try_and_find_the_right_balance____Tony_Mowbray_keeping_his_formation_options_open_as_Rovers_head_to_Morecambe/

I misremembered at bit, but it's the same gist.

Slightly different :) he didn't say the formation was irrelevant.

He must have watched Barca the night before making those comments. The above is all well and good when you have Messi, Suarez and Neymar in your team. In our case playing an unproven , unfit striker out wide in our first game of the season, whilst leaving actually wingers on the bench, is strange.  

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

Mowbray is a worry.

Yes, it's a worry. On the one hand he is saying we need to have our best players on the field,which I agree with, but this stuff of numerous systems is claptrap at this level. As referenced above Leicester won the league playing 4-4-2 because they had great team spirit and some players who played to freak like levels for a few months. we need our best players on the field,to be well organised, to be motivated and to stick with 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 if he insists on playing Dack. We have some players who can be and have been very effective in this league. Just keep it simple tactically, work hard and let the cream rise to the top. Some of what Mowbray is saying worries me that we may do ourselves out of results in games we should be getting points from by over complicating our gameplan.  

13 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Slightly different :) he didn't say the formation was irrelevant.

He must have watched Barca the night before making those comments. The above is all well and good when you have Messi, Suarez and Neymar in your team. In our case playing an unproven , unfit striker out wide in our first game of the season, whilst leaving actually wingers on the bench, is strange.  

Actually, he kind of did when he talks about finding 'a way of working behind the ball'.

Quite a few new players in this squad who need to be moulded into a team.  Only 1 way of doing that, he needs to pick an 11 and hope it works.  So tonight it has to be the strongest team he can pick.  Any variance from this and Mowbray is an idiot as we don't have time to be wasting games.  If I hear anyone saying people are tired I'm gonnae go radge, no excuses.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Mowbray is a worry.

I was thinking this too. Is he overcomplicating a simple game? He's had all preseason to implement a way of playing! Yet we looked a team of strangers on Saturday with no bottle at all

Lots of negative posts about Mowbray today, many having thought all summer he is the messiah. I have thought for a while now, that things have always seemed a tad better when we haven't played, for example, when we have had an international break. With the summer recess, perhaps many of us have thought, Mowbray is the bees knees and we are going to have a good season. We are only one game in and painful as that was, a week is a long time in football. Hopefully, we can get a couple of wins under out belt and hail Mowbray again, I am wishing like hell, he is the real deal.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, lraC said:

Lots of negative posts about Mowbray today, many having thought all summer he is the messiah. I have thought for a while now, that things have always seemed a tad better when we haven't played, for example, when we have had an international break. With the summer recess, perhaps many of us have thought, Mowbray is the bees knees and we are going to have a good season. We are only one game in and painful as that was, a week is a long time in football. Hopefully, we can get a couple of wins under out belt and hail Mowbray again, I am wishing like hell, he is the real deal.

If you's are not comfortably amoung the top 3 positions come Xmas time, he will be gone. And rightly so. 

I don't get this fascination with TM. He's not that good of a manager. There's so many decent managers at this level, who aren't star names, but who would get the very best out of your squad, and get you's out of this league at the first attempt. I'd even back our perma-tanned gaffer to do the business for you. 

6 minutes ago, Shrimper said:

If you's are not comfortably amoung the top 3 positions come Xmas time, he will be gone. And rightly so. 

I don't get this fascination with TM. He's not that good of a manager. There's so many decent managers at this level, who aren't star names, but who would get the very best out of your squad, and get you's out of this league at the first attempt. I'd even back our perma-tanned gaffer to do the business for you. 

If you look at this list of managers we have had since Allardyce was sacked and their accomplishments, you would understand why our standards are somewhat low at this point. If someone looks to be honest and hardworking ,as Mowbray does, he is already one of the better ones we have had since Wankys took over. We are hoping and praying that he gets the football side of things to work as well. 

As for getting us out of this league. It looked like we had a decent chance of getting out of the Championship the year after we dropped out of the Premiership. What proceeded was the maddest and most badly run 12 months in this history of any football club in the UK I would argue. We had 4 different managers if I remember correctly. The stability of Mowbray is better than that. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

1 minute ago, Shrimper said:

The times that perma tanned gimp raced on the pitch at Ewood whenever Bolton scored here no ta :P

He's a turkey but he's found his niche now so leave him down there and hope he takes Southend places we've had more than enough 'it's all about me' type managers that's why TM is proving popular with fans. That won't wash very much longer if he doesn't get his team gathering results though.

I've always been a big fan of the "score more goals than the other team" system. 

It's based on the precepts of very high levels of fitness, tactical awareness, preparation, consistency of selection, picking players on the basis of form and fitness,in the positions for which they are best suited .

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned. 

1 hour ago, lraC said:

Who thought he was the messiah?

1 hour ago, Shrimper said:

I don't get this fascination with TM. He's not that good of a manager

Context is everything. We've just had to endure Coyle, and earlier Kean. Mowbray is a breath of fresh air in comparison, he's generally regarded as a man of integrity, has a passion for the game and wants to do right by the club. For those reasons I think a lot of Rovers fans, understandably, want him to do well.

• Like 7