SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The January 2018 transfer thread

J*B

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

I hope we can bring in a midfielder (not Lowe) this week, just watched Shrewsbury and they will dominate our current midfield as it is at the moment.

Mm, they're a hard working team. All five across the midfield put a shift in. You can see how they play, simple orthodox percentage stuff but it gets results. A team of grafters will take you a long way at this level. The right winger is a bit greedy. He needs a ball of his own. The goal threat comes from the midfield getting up with and beyond the lone striker and at set plays.

15 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You missed the point. It's not about experience. It's about choosing what they want to believe to form a negative slant on anything they choose. 

Nope on both counts. It’s about 7 years of BS and let downs.

Who was the last player you remember Rovers signing and thinking, yes, that’s an upgrade to the first team?

25 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Point missed again,so I'm not going to bother explaining. 

Your point “why do people choose to put a negative spin on things”

My point “because that’s what they expect”.

It’s back to the old realism = negativity debate.

Still.

AFTER 7 LONG YEARS. ?

• Backroom
21 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It's a simple question to me. I'd say Danny Graham when he came at first.

To some extent, but it was basically on the proviso that Rhodes would be sold.

Dack and Smallwood are probably fair shouts, but considering the state of our team after relegation it would have been hard for them not to be an improvement.

Just now, DE. said:

To some extent, but it was basically on the proviso that Rhodes would be sold.

Dack and Smallwood are probably fair shouts, but considering the state of our team after relegation it would have been hard for them not to be an improvement.

I didn't know anything about Dack or Smallwood so I couldn't really get excited about them. They've both been good signings though. I wasn't excited by Whittingham, who I had heard of, because I thought he was on the way down.

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Blackburn Rovers have made a second bid for Fleetwood Town left-back Amari'i Bell. #Rovers #FTFC #codarmy https://t.co/i9wdbPVGwj

Well, if his performance on Saturday is any indication, we have a new song! 

He plays at left back..but his defending is cack... That's Amari...

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Meanwhile, our total absence of competent wingers continues...

says who? 

all because certain reporters don't know doesn't mean we aren't after a winger. 

might be a lot better If the media doesn't know if we about to sign them

Don't forget we went for Bodin but went PNE and Nicko only found out after the transfer had been completed 

3 hours ago, Stuart said:

Your point “why do people choose to put a negative spin on things”

My point “because that’s what they expect”.

It’s back to the old realism = negativity debate.

Still.

AFTER 7 LONG YEARS. ?

Kind of,but it's more how they don't see the irony in it. 

23 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Lets hope so, need 2 wingers before sub full backs and sub strikers. Hope we get them in the next couple of days.

Not sure I believe the Bodin story, easy to say after hes signed elsewhere. Irrelevant anyway as it hasnt happened.

don't see any reason why Nicko needs to lie about the Bodin bid. gains nothing from lying. Like you kept rubbish the Armstrong loan bid but more than 2 journalists are reporting it include from Newcastle and the Local reporter for Newcastle Chronicle.  

We need the right signings in this window and I'm happy to take them how they come in. 

sub striker? Armstrong coming here to start and score goals. good player and a striker we need who know the league. Nuttall seems off the boil. maybe need more game time to be sharper and better, time for him to play a couple of 23's games. 

wouldn't be surprise to see us playing 2 strikers from start of the game and change of formation

• Backroom
45 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

says who? 

all because certain reporters don't know doesn't mean we aren't after a winger. 

might be a lot better If the media doesn't know if we about to sign them

Don't forget we went for Bodin but went PNE and Nicko only found out after the transfer had been completed 

Slightly odd, first you say it may not to be true just because certain journos don't know then back it up with a supposed truth - because a certain journo said so!

Not sure about Bodin, seems to fit with Nickos usual tactic of naming a dead link with little chance of being proven wrong, he's just about smart enough to look competent at times whilst never nailing colours to the mast and always inserting a get out clause for himself 'it was truth but things changed'

Ive never seen Armstrong but I also believe he would be likely to be shoved out wide if he's played their before or be one of three for the one striker role.

1 minute ago, Tom said:

Slightly odd, first you say it may not to be true just because certain journos don't know then back it up with a supposed truth - because a certain journo said so!

Not sure about Bodin, seems to fit with Nickos usual tactic of naming a dead link with little chance of being proven wrong, he's just about smart enough to look competent at times whilst never nailing colours to the mast and always inserting a get out clause for himself 'it was truth but things changed'

Ive never seen Armstrong but I also believe he would be likely to be shoved out wide if he's played their before or be one of three for the one striker role.

One journalist reported but the Armstrong came from several sources including Lee Ryder who is based Newcastle so he would have gone the story From the Newcastle side plus other journalists like Nicko, Bayes, Myers plus Pete O'Rourke aswell. How many more reporters do you want to report it?

Nicko didnt need to.post it but did. No reason to lie. 

On Armstrong played wide here? Dont see that cos he left Bolton cos of this. Wants to play up front and thats where I expect him to play most of the time. Thats his proper position..hes a goalscorer

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

don't see any reason why Nicko needs to lie about the Bodin bid. gains nothing from lying. Like you kept rubbish the Armstrong loan bid but more than 2 journalists are reporting it include from Newcastle and the Local reporter for Newcastle Chronicle.  

We need the right signings in this window and I'm happy to take them how they come in. 

sub striker? Armstrong coming here to start and score goals. good player and a striker we need who know the league. Nuttall seems off the boil. maybe need more game time to be sharper and better, time for him to play a couple of 23's games. 

wouldn't be surprise to see us playing 2 strikers from start of the game and change of formation

He gains something from making things up. Its free, easy, takes a few seconds to type and has people clicking onto his twitter page and stories in The Sun all day. That's how he makes his living. He has hundreds of Rovers fans hanging on his every word, so if he 'links' us to numerous players who don't come he can easily say we tried but it didn't come off.

Anyhow, whether he's making it up or not is irrelevant, because the important thing is that Bodin didn't come here. Maybe we tried really hard and just got beaten at the 11th hour by the mighty PNE, or maybe we just chucked in a bid that wasn't remotely acceptable. Doesn't really matter. Trying or appearing to try to sign players isn't the same as doing it.

We can sit here in February talking about the various different players we tried to get or bid for but if they don't come its meaningless. They might as well say they bid for Coutinho and Sanchez. The result will be the same if the bodies needed aren't through the door by the end of the month.

Mowbray's sole target this season is promotion. Nothing less will do. 

If he has come to the conclusion that Jason Lowe can be a useful addition to that, then on his head so be it.

I have my doubts, but I'm willing to put those to bed and back Mowbray's judgment at this stage. 

Not interested in medium to long term talk. Promotion is the only measurement of success, not individual player performances or development.

If we succeed in our quest, then I of course will be delighted with or without Jason Lowe in the side.

If we fail in our quest, with or without Lowe in the side, then Mowbray should be sacked and replaced with someone else.

Just now, JHRover said:

He gains something from making things up. Its free, easy, takes a few seconds to type and has people clicking onto his twitter page and stories in The Sun all day. That's how he makes his living. He has hundreds of Rovers fans hanging on his every word, so if he 'links' us to numerous players who don't come he can easily say we tried but it didn't come off.

Anyhow, whether he's making it up or not is irrelevant, because the important thing is that Bodin didn't come here. Maybe we tried really hard and just got beaten at the 11th hour by the mighty PNE, or maybe we just chucked in a bid that wasn't remotely acceptable. Doesn't really matter. Trying or appearing to try to sign players isn't the same as doing it.

We can sit here in February talking about the various different players we tried to get or bid for but if they don't come its meaningless. They might as well say they bid for Coutinho and Sanchez. The result will be the same if the bodies needed aren't through the door by the end of the month.

So is some people talking about Rhodes for pages after pages who left Rovers 2 years ago cos he wanted out but we still have to read page after page. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

So is some people talking about Rhodes for pages after pages who left Rovers 2 years ago cos he wanted out but we still have to read page after page. 

Not really because that is something that actually happened, as did his £10 million fee disappearing into a black hole, as did Lambert walking out and Coyle arriving. All things that shouldn't have happened but did and are central to our lowly position today.

Players we might have tried to sign but didn't actually do so amounts to nothing but tabloid rumours and talk about 'he might have been a good signing, had we actually signed him'. It  keeps people like Nixon in business.

Archived