BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Wigan

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, darrenrover said:

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's game, I feel we will be positive from the off, knock the stuffing out of Wigan and win comfortably.

I don't really care about any of Wigan's players being fit or not, it's all about The Rovers and 3 points.

It's a shame it's on Sky and that there's still a debate from some about whether their principles would allow them to go or not. A bumper 20,000 plus, vociferous crowd would have been expected and that would have been an enormous encouragement to the players on the pitch.

Anyway,

Let's be positive from the off and stuff the 'pie eaters'. COYB!!!!

As anxious, nervous or whatever adverb any of us might be tempted to use, we’ve just got to be patient and not allow any negative tension from the stands to filter on to the pitch.

Our job is to get behind the team. Keep the faith!

14 minutes ago, Gav said:

My post was in response to posters claiming we'll look for a draw today.

Mowbray doesn't send his players out to draw matches, he sends them out to win Arbitro, and you simply cannot argue with the win column to support that.

I was reading elsewhere someone claiming we went to Portsmouth for a draw and we went to Plymouth for a draw, what absolute bunkum, only in Brfcsville. 

Anyway enjoy the game.

Show me a post “claiming we will look for a draw today”.

Personally I’m hoping he doesn’t. However, starting with 5 defenders and/or Evans with Smallwood will tell its own story.

If Mowbray changed his team to accomodate the Cafu of Oldham I hate to think what he'll come up with today. Wigans right-back is genuinly quite good.

I'd be tempted to play Travis in the middle (based on nothing more than his cameo against Oldham) and Bennett on the right to provide balance. I don't think Payne is a wide player. The rest of the team picks itself really.

Can't say I'm ever confident of a Rovers win at home, especially as Mowbray is quite capable of handing the iniative to the opposition from the start with his team selections and tactics, but we are normally more 'at it' when the better teams come to Ewood. 

It's a tough one to predict. 1-1 seems as good a guess as any.

13 minutes ago, Speedie's Gonna Get Ya said:

As anxious, nervous or whatever adverb any of us might be tempted to use, we’ve just got to be patient and not allow any negative tension from the stands to filter on to the pitch.

Our job is to get behind the team. Keep the faith!

A lot of onus is on Mowbray to get his tactics and team selection right. What filters down from the stand will be a reflection on that, as it was in the 1st half against Oldham. Lets see what he comes up with.

• Backroom

End of the day Mowbray currently has us top of the league, if that's the case at the end of the season I couldn't care less if he's sent us out to win, draw or play netball as long as we get there!

21 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

A lot of onus is on Mowbray to get his tactics and team selection right. What filters down from the stand will be a reflection on that, as it was in the 1st half against Oldham. Lets see what he comes up with.

Precisely the point I was making. If he get’s it ‘wrong’, getting on the team’s back will not increase their chances of pulling it round. Get behind them come what may in what’s a massive fixture; that’s the point I was making. COYB.

3 hours ago, perthblue02 said:

That defeat  by Wigan in the 2013 FA cup final must have really hurt you , although the recent FA cup defeat by the same score must of opened up old wounds especially as it blew the possible domestic treble , no wonder you hate Whelan .

Anyway off for lunch at local Chinky Chinese owned eating establishment, speak soon :)

No I hate Whelan for being one of his beloved United's FUP stooges and the whole damn concept in general. I don't hate Wigan because they won a game fair and square though Mancini's sacking pissed me off and pretty much killed off any interest I had. If you call attending a few games with a friend some kind of obsessive interest instead of sitting at home with sod all to do. Hence why I've barely been there since 2012 sorry to kill your imagined visions of me camped outside the Etihad for 4 years. No wonder though is it having had to put up with your ignorance past and present.

Jack Walker used to help out the ungrateful sod back in the early 60's and that's the thanks he gets? He even slurred Jack by saying he "saddled" the family with Rovers when the trustees were supposed to be unbiased administrators distributing beneficiary revenue via other Walker companies. Yes I know someone like Jack (unless any locals ever amass a fortune of 20 billion or someone like Mansour took over) might not be able to repeat the same ambitions but does that mean you basically piss all over everything he stood for? Whelan's a shameless hypocrite and a xenophobic cretin.

Next time Rovers get a transfer ban remember to send your thanks to people like Whelan. Whatever Venkys did is irrelevant in this case because the damn rules are evil and shouldn't exist. In the 90's had other clubs been pushing for FUP would you have thanked Whelan then? I don't give a toss if he thought Venkys "didn't look right" he didn't have some crystal ball foresight. Does that make Saint John and Finn stupid for being perfectly fine with the takeover process? If there's anything that "didn't look right" without requiring a crystal ball it was FUP. People rant about wanting Venkys to sell thanks to FUP it would have been tougher (which isn't meaning impossible) finding someone even in PL never mind now. Thank prats like Whelan for that as well.

Maybe Rovers getting promotion at the expense of Wigan will be one of his final memories in football. Wouldn't that be fitting? :lol:

Huge game for us, win and I will feel that top two is firmly in our own hands, draw wouldn't be too bad, defeat and we're likely back in amongst 'em.

No Evans or Whittingham please!! Only 100% battlers and die for the cause on the team sheet!! Our full backs cause me major worries!

Dack, Charlie, Graham, Lenihan, Bennett, Payne, Smallwood, hopefully there's enough quality and battle there.

Setting off soon, wrap up warm, I'm as nervous as ......!!!

COYB

It’s a long, long time since I felt this level of nervous excitement. I’m really not sure how I’m going to get through 90 minutes, especially if we’re one up with 10-15 minutes to go.

Bit of a quivering wreck already! 

13 minutes ago, meadows said:

Dave Whelan is a very poorly old man these days and  probably deserves a little less abuse than he is getting on here. He’s been very kind and caring to his former Rovers playing colleagues who aren’t as wealthy and on many occasions to their widows. You would like to think that even the most demented rant merchant in the business would come to a point where a bit of common decency overrode the inexplicable need to warble on about the wildest of imaginings in a fashion which makes the Gerasene Demoniac look measured and rational. 

Maybe you can call me pious again. :rolleyes:

I have no idea whether he's ill or not. Wouldn't put it past you spinning a sob story to make me look heartless and evil. Even if he is ill my comments are accurate and fair unlike his FUP support and xenophobic ignorance. Think about Jack's feelings for once before crying about Whelan and things like that banner possibly upsetting the precious Walker family. Why would it upset them anyway? Its not like they give a damn about what's happened.

Its a bloody forum anyway its not like I'm walking up to his house and yelling abuse in his face. I doubt Whelan knows how to use a computer he probably still thinks old fashioned typewriters are cutting edge. That is if his technology knowledge is as outdated as his xenophobia. 

50 minutes ago, Speedie's Gonna Get Ya said:

Precisely the point I was making. If he get’s it ‘wrong’, getting on the team’s back will not increase their chances of pulling it round. Get behind them come what may in what’s a massive fixture; that’s the point I was making. COYB.

You don't get to Ewood much then;)

18 minutes ago, Vinjay17 said:

Maybe you can call me pious again. :rolleyes:

I have no idea whether he's ill or not. Wouldn't put it past you spinning a sob story to make me look heartless and evil. Even if he is ill my comments are accurate and fair unlike his FUP support and xenophobic ignorance. Think about Jack's feelings for once before crying about Whelan and things like that banner possibly upsetting the precious Walker family. Why would it upset them anyway? Its not like they give a damn about what's happened.

Its a bloody forum anyway its not like I'm walking up to his house and yelling abuse in his face. I doubt Whelan knows how to use a computer he probably still old fashioned typewriters if his technology knowledge is as outdated as his xenophobia. 

This is the MATCH THREAD.

Take your bile elsewhere.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

This is the MATCH THREAD.

Take your bile elsewhere.

I'll talk about Whelan on a discussion about Wigan whenever I damn well please. Its not bile to take issue with FUP and xenophobia. Ironic you live in Asia and won't denounce his remarks about Chinese people, etc.

Just now, Pedro said:

Mixture of sense and idiocy.  

There's a bit of a theme on forums.

Ha, yeah, every forum is pretty much the same. That's what makes them so good. A hermetically sealed world of niche idiocy. Tw@tter on the other hand is just for people who mistakenly thinking any one else in the world gives a shit what their dog is doing.

Just now, Norbert Rassragr said:

The poster who says we'd all be loving Venky's after a few wins was what got me. A few tinfoil hats and envious nonsense going on with some of them.

Better not attack Venkys you might be told to take your "bile" elsewhere. :rolleyes:

• Backroom
Just now, Vinjay17 said:

I'll talk about Whelan on a discussion about Wigan whenever I damn well please. Its not bile to take issue with FUP and xenophobia. Ironic you live in Asia and won't denounce his remarks about Chinese people, etc.

No you won't - enough now, leave it be!

Archived