BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mowbray to Ipswich?

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Huddersfield's "success" could see them go down this season. 

We see wont we. 

But they got to Premier League tho under Wagner. Will he be there next season or go back to Dortmund who want a new head coach next season. 

Notice you dont have a come back from Evans net worth being 765 million but wont invest in Ipswich

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

We see wont we. 

But they got to Premier League tho under Wagner. Will he be there next season or go back to Dortmund who want a new head coach next season. 

Notice you dont have a come back from Evans net worth being 765 million but wont invest in Ipswich

Did you  read the article ?

Philip Beresford, a compiler for the Sunday Times Rich List, said rich businessmen like Evans are unlikely to have a lot of their money readily available to spend.

A lot of it is tied up in their business interests, he said, with someone having a £700m fortune perhaps only holding £50-100m of that themselves. The wealth attributed to someone in the Rich List could actually be the value of the company or companies they own, their investments or a variety of other assets.

In other words, he's not worth that much, certainly not enough to bankroll a decent sized football club.

Evans is also a tax "exile",  spending much of the year in tax havens such as Bermuda and Ireland to avoid paying UK tax 

You might admire tax cheats like that but I don't. Venky's are abominable, but I wouldn't want the likes of Marcus Evans owning Rovers either. 

Evans did invest at first but for whatever reason he cutback considerably. At least it was his own decision not greedy families influencing trustees. Certainly previous managers didn't work out so people can question that. Venkys of course cut costs as well but with such general stupidity of course people were going to highlight the cutbacks here more. 

Nothing wrong with tax exiles. Its ludicrous that someone can take a cheap dig at Jack Walker (who certainly wasn't greedy with his money) yet endlessly bring up Allardyce and any criticism he gets. Its not the only dig you have taken at Jack either calling him a disgrace for liking Thatcher, etc. Yet nobody can even call Allardyce fat or highlight his arrogance on here without a reprimand from his fanclub. I've said it before certain people go on about his departure like its on a par with Jack's death. :rolleyes:

Being "cash rich" of course is certainly different to asset rich and something I've noted from the past. In Jack's case the substantial sum he received from selling Walker Steel made him exceptionally cash rich. Of course he still kept some business assets such as aviation, etc and providing that prat Howard's pocket money whenever the latest Ferrari came out. Not to mention the rest of the greedy whores in that family.

13 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Did you  read the article ?

Philip Beresford, a compiler for the Sunday Times Rich List, said rich businessmen like Evans are unlikely to have a lot of their money readily available to spend.

A lot of it is tied up in their business interests, he said, with someone having a £700m fortune perhaps only holding £50-100m of that themselves. The wealth attributed to someone in the Rich List could actually be the value of the company or companies they own, their investments or a variety of other assets.

In other words, he's not worth that much, certainly not enough to bankroll a decent sized football club.

Evans is also a tax "exile",  spending much of the year in tax havens such as Bermuda and Ireland to avoid paying UK tax 

You might admire tax cheats like that but I don't. Venky's are abominable, but I wouldn't want the likes of Marcus Evans owning Rovers either. 

Yes I did read the article Jim. 

But he has the money to invest some money. At least 5 million or 10 million pounds for 1 season or 2  

Wasnt Jack Walker the same as Marcus Evans then Jim by your comment then???

You defend Big Sam massively but then slag off people like Jack Walker cos they live in overseas tax heavens. 

Have you forgot Big Sam video were he was expose for a number of things and cost him the England manager job?

But We have gone off abit so lets talk about Ipswich and the future manager which the topic is about. For me, I think they go for either McClaren or Warburton. I wouldnt. I go for someone like Jack Ross or Gareth Ainsworth. But its not my decision.

Dont see Mowbray going there. My opinion

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes I did read the article Jim. 

But he has the money to invest some money. At least 5 million or 10 million pounds for 1 season or 2  

Wasnt Jack Walker the same as Marcus Evans then Jim by your comment then???

Not quite, Jack Walker sold walkersteel to BSC in 1990 for about £360m, which is the equivalant to around £580m today (so over half a billion). He bought Rovers in 1991, and used a lot of the proceeds of this sale to fund the club. Therefore no, it isn't like Evans. If Evans sold some of his assets then he could maybe invest like Walker did. Probably the point Jim is making, pal.

2 minutes ago, AAK said:

Not quite, Jack Walker sold walkersteel to BSC in 1990 for about £360m, which is the equivalant to around £580m today (so over half a billion). He bought Rovers in 1991, and used a lot of the proceeds of this sale to fund the club. Therefore no, it isn't like Evans. If Evans sold some of his assets then he could maybe invest like Walker did. Probably the point Jim is making, pal.

He was obviously referring to Jack's tax exile status.

On 4/4/2018 at 20:44, Bigdoggsteel said:

No, it's far from certain he can as I am sure we will be reminded again and again... And again over the summer. Just like the same old moaners moaned and moaned this summer, during the season and even now. It will be as if this season counted for nothing in some people's eyes. They will ignore the fact bigger clubs than us have struggled down here. They will ignore the fact Mowbray has built this team practically from scratch. They will ignore the signings he made, the football we have is payed. All be forgotten. 

Anyway, my ignore button will be used for the first time I feel. I hope it functions properly 

To be fair, you initially voted twist in the pole.

2 hours ago, not exactly Scarface said:

Mowbray gets mentioned for us as he's an ex-player that commands a certain amount of respect by the supporters and internals of the club alike.   That he could steer the club round and put the club  (back) on a course for something approaching success after the "ineptitude" of McCarthy is another thing.

Evans doesn't usually spend or put significant money into the club to make us competitive, so whoever comes in will continue to work with limited funds.   Getting rid of McCarthy was a huge step forward but the bigger problem in the owner (Evans), is the greatest concern.   Until he gets up and leaves, we can never again hope to achieve or get back to something approaching our previous stature. 

Alan Pardew appears to be favourite to get the job but that leaves many of the fans ill at ease.    Others names put around such as Hurst at Shrewsbury and the Lincoln manager don't do much for me, for one thing they're untried at Championship level, but a lot of the supporters see this as a very good appointment if it were to occur.

On a last point it looks as though Blackburn will be back with us in the second tier by the summer so Mowbray may decide to stay on and continue his good work or feel that the offer of a reunion at his former club may be too much to resist.

Do I want Mowbray back ?   In all honesty No.   Yes he was an admirable past player and I have respect for him as do a great many others at the club, but football is a results business and believe we'd be better equipped hiring someone else who would possesses greater experience and has proven results at the right level.   I expect a decision to be made sometime soon, but whoever it may be, you understand it won't be to the liking of everyone.  

You should be looking at Paul Hurst if you are after a manager that seems to be able to perform without a budget of any kind. The job he has done at Shresbury has been excellent.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

@not exactly Scarface why not look at John Coleman at Stanley or Darren Ferguson at Doncaster or Neal Ardley at Wimbledon? 

all doing very good jobs in the football league

Coleman had a nightmare at Rochdale didn't he? Seems Stanley suits him.  Darren Ferguson FFS! There's a reason he's at Doncaster. Neil Ardley LOL. More like Neil Ardley Ever Wins A Game. See what I did there? Did ya?

23 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Coleman had a nightmare at Rochdale didn't he? Seems Stanley suits him.  Darren Ferguson FFS! There's a reason he's at Doncaster. Neil Ardley LOL. More like Neil Ardley Ever Wins A Game. See what I did there? Did ya?

Yeah swap McCarthy for a guy who failed at bloody Rochdale. Crying out loud. Darren Ferguson...FFS indeed! That prat did nothing special at Championship level and he's only midtable at the moment. How much further would he take them? Its an absolute insult to McCarthy who's a much better manager and certainly a better husband. I don't know enough about Ardley's style though he's probably got more of a bond with his current fanbase than most managers. Goodness sake Chaddy you make some good retorts to Jim on Jack's tax exile status, etc then you post this sort of nonsense. Yes I know its blueboy quoted above but I agree with it.

Why does every manager you suggest for football league have to be English or Scottish? Huddersfield brought in Wagner from Dortmund's B team and that worked out. Norwich haven't had an exceptional season but appointing Farke (who ironically enough was Wagner's successor) was interesting and had more logic than just "oh Wagner did alright". I'm not using Norwich as an example just because its in Anglia as well that's just a coincidence hence the references to Huddersfield. They should be looking abroad before looking at those names. Of course Norwich have taken gambles before (on Alex Neil that initially worked though his time at Preston may suggest whether or not he's amongst those "one EPL promotion wonders") so Ipswich really should go for something radically different. Their fans want something fresher and exciting (and McCarthy despite his decent Championship record has clearly stagnated there) and none of those 3 fit. 

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Can I ask why getting McCarthy is a huge step forward? also Can what McCarthy style of play and tactics have been since being there? has he been manager who play long ball football or has he try to get you to play passing style? IMO, When I seen you played in the games we played against you or on tv it seems very direct style? is this correct? 

would someone like Warburton or McClaren appeal to the fans? 

On 03/04/2018 at 17:57, chaddyrovers said:

Were any fans happy with Megson or Pulis as manager

I clearly understand McCarthy style of football. Boring and dull hoofball. 

I deffo wouldnt want McCarthy anywhere Rovers or Ewood Park. Dont want hoofball here..

How long was Appleton here about 2 months compare to McCarthy 6 years in charge?

So I guess none of 3 of you have taken the time to speak to WBA fans who can tell you why they want rid of Pulis and who they want as next manager 

image.jpeg.d5abae2efa54ee38693badc7b21c6b0e.jpeg

2 hours ago, Vinjay17 said:

He was obviously referring to Jack's tax exile status.

He was stating evans didnt have the finances to fund transfers. Then Chaddy likened evans to walker, i was merely pointing at how walker did what he did and what evans would need to do to fund such a venture. Why does it always have to turn into the vinjay show with you, and your hatred towards certain people. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

@not exactly Scarface why not look at John Coleman at Stanley or Darren Ferguson at Doncaster or Neal Ardley at Wimbledon? 

all doing very good jobs in the football league

Chaddy come on, you were singing the tune of Karl Robinson for years on here, you wanted him at ewood every time a job came up pal and now you don't mention him. 

Just now, AAK said:

Chaddy come on, you were singing the tune of Karl Robinson for years on here, you wanted him at ewood every time a job came up pal and now you don't mention him. 

We are talking about the Ipswich job. Not Rovers. 

12 minutes ago, AAK said:

He was stating evans didnt have the finances to fund transfers. Then Chaddy likened evans to walker, i was merely pointing at how walker did what he did and what evans would need to do to fund such a venture. Why does it always have to turn into the vinjay show with you, and your hatred towards certain people. 

Don't call him Walker. That's not making things about myself its called respect. OK on Wikipedia I've edited his page and called him Walker but that's an exception. Fans and local media should never refer to him by surname only. It would be odd to refer to him as "Mr Walker" as he's dead but either his full name, "Jack", or "Uncle Jack" never just "Walker". That's got nothing to do with my contempt for the rest of his family.

Also I don't hate yourself, Chaddy (based more on other threads where we have argued) or Jim. Infact with the latter I've agreed with many things he's said. His questions to Simon Garner remain one of the funniest things I've read on this forum. Bit ironic I guess when complaining about lack of respect but there's Jack and then there's a bloody huge gap. If someone takes a dig at Jack I'm not going to say nothing. Yes Chaddy noted how much Evans is worth and pointed out that he's probably still "cash rich" enough to provide more funding than he recently has. He was referring more to his tax exile status like I've said.

10 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Would you rather he be known as Emperor Zinger the Mighty or something like that then?

No I'm asking people not to call him Walker (occasionally I've been prompted to do so) and suggesting sensible alternatives. I suppose there wouldn't be any objection to "God" or "Messiah" (provided Kevin Keegan wouldn't make a © claim B)) and anything that is at the very least respectful.

Anyway AAK since you claim I'm making it all about me how about we go back to the thread subject? Assuming I'm entitled to ask a question shouldn't the thread itself be based on more than a seemingly random rumour? Perhaps a demand that Mowbray speak about it? I've already said just because he spent a few years at Ipswich isn't essentially going to lift them above Rovers in his estimation. Middlesbrough if anyone would appear to be the club he cares most about and he's already been manager there. I can't see anyone in the Championship playoff positions knocking his door down.

• Backroom
4 hours ago, Vinjay17 said:

Evans did invest at first but for whatever reason he cutback considerably.

Correct, he gave Roy Keane roughly £20m to spend. Keane proceeded to piss the lot of it up the wall, unnecessarily sold some of the club's best prospects for peanuts (including one Jordan Rhodes), alienated his entire playing squad, as well as the non-playing staff, and raged against the supporters before finally being sacked with Ipswich in a much worse position than he found them in. And people wanted that lunatic here!

Since then Evans has never funded anything close to that level of expenditure again. Whether it's because the Keane experience burned him that badly or because he's using Ipswich for other purposes now is a question people here have been asking for some time. If I had to guess, I'd lean more towards the latter than the former. Whatever Evans motive is for being at Ipswich, love of the club ain't one of them.

1 hour ago, Vinjay17 said:

No I'm asking people not to call him Walker (occasionally I've been prompted to do so) and suggesting sensible alternatives. I suppose there wouldn't be any objection to "God" or "Messiah" (provided Kevin Keegan wouldn't make a © claim B)) and anything that is at the very least respectful.

Anyway AAK since you claim I'm making it all about me how about we go back to the thread subject? Assuming I'm entitled to ask a question shouldn't the thread itself be based on more than a seemingly random rumour? Perhaps a demand that Mowbray speak about it? I've already said just because he spent a few years at Ipswich isn't essentially going to lift them above Rovers in his estimation. Middlesbrough if anyone would appear to be the club he cares most about and he's already been manager there. I can't see anyone in the Championship playoff positions knocking his door down.

Eff me, you take yourself so seriously. Do you eat your food twice? 

However, I am in the camp that sees this as an empty rumour unless promotion is not achieved. 

25 minutes ago, DE. said:

Correct, he gave Roy Keane roughly £20m to spend. Keane proceeded to piss the lot of it up the wall, unnecessarily sold some of the club's best prospects for peanuts (including one Jordan Rhodes), alienated his entire playing squad, as well as the non-playing staff, and raged against the supporters before finally being sacked with Ipswich in a much worse position than he found them in. And people wanted that lunatic here!

Since then Evans has never funded anything close to that level of expenditure again. Whether it's because the Keane experience burned him that badly or because he's using Ipswich for other purposes now is a question people here have been asking for some time. If I had to guess, I'd lean more towards the latter than the former. Whatever Evans motive is for being at Ipswich, love of the club ain't one of them.

Well he was mentioned at times but I wouldn't really say it was a majority. Obviously it would have appalled me (being a psycho is a pretty good enough reason alone) but some Rovers fans tend to pick selective grudges. Sven for instance never booed and his name was even suggested at times.

I wonder how Ipswich fans would have reacted to Rovers owners circa 2005-2010. I'm pretty sure any fanbase would have reacted the same way to Venkys (both their reckless spending and excessive slashing with no real rhyme or reason inbetween) except with more hostility in certain cases. Leeds, Millwall, etc for instance being the most obvious. I don't know enough other circumstances but I've seen tax breaks mentioned. If he's already an exile though what sense would that make? The club of course also has a substantial debt but I still reckon he's more trustworthy than Venkys as far as writing it off. Most likely without Premier League football (and Oyston style pilfering) that's probably all he could do to secure any kind of takeover fee.

16 hours ago, JacknOry said:

To be fair, you initially voted twist in the pole.

You going to answer my question- how do you know what I voted? 

Secondly, what does how I voted have to do with my initial post? 

Don'y try and be a smart alec and then go hiding little boy :) 

Archived