Jump to content
J*B

Sam Gallagher Returns

Recommended Posts

Just now, Mattyblue said:

We’ll see at the close of the window, let’s await these defenders, net spend of about £1.5 million thus far...

I take it you don’t count Phil Jones as a defender because our net spend is surely less than zero...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stuart said:

I take it you don’t count Phil Jones as a defender because our net spend is surely less than zero...

?

This summer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought you meant all told under this lot sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Over the last 3 seasons our net spend on transfers has been impressive. By my calculations we are around 17m incomings and outgoings around 4m. Prior to that we were under a transfer embargo because of our excess spending.

What we spend is not really a stick we can beat venkys with. We spend double our turnover every season even now. 

I suspect our over all net spend during the Venkys time here will be positive ie recouped more than we spent. Could be interesting, anyone know the figures ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm happy with Gallagher.  Think he can fit well into the Graham role and will be a handful for defences.   Expect him to be a good player for us.  Just can't help thinking  we signed Brereton because we couldn't get Gallagher last year.  He needs to go out on loan now.  Gallagher and Armstrong could be a useful duo together.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AshleyClifford said:

 

I suspect our over all net spend during the Venkys time here will be positive ie recouped more than we spent. Could be interesting, anyone know the figures ?

I bloody well hope so, or to end up in the third division will make their reign even more ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AshleyClifford said:

Over the last 3 seasons our net spend on transfers has been impressive. By my calculations we are around 17m incomings and outgoings around 4m. Prior to that we were under a transfer embargo because of our excess spending.

What we spend is not really a stick we can beat venkys with. We spend double our turnover every season even now. 

I suspect our over all net spend during the Venkys time here will be positive ie recouped more than we spent. Could be interesting, anyone know the figures ?

How much have we spent on defenders and goalkeepers in that time?

Wasting £7m on a sub and then replacing him 12 months later for £5m isn’t something to congratulate them for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mattyblue said:

I bloody well hope so, or to end up in the third division will make their reign even more ridiculous.

🤔 We’ve recouped more than we’ve spent?

Seems even more ridiculous for us to be £180m in debt then while we bounced through the leagues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this is a good move providing that he is not shunted out to the wing. If so terrible signing but that goes for most players - play them in their right position they're an assett, move them elsewhere they are much weaker. 

For those saying it makes less sense because of Bereton I'd say Bereton was a mistake regardless of whether Gally signed. Imo this signing rectifies that mistake. Hally's style and past performance make him a much more suitable successor to Graham. Good enough successor - we'll see but he knows the club, has performed well previously imo and Graham won't go on forever - or get injured this season - so getting a bit ahead of the game is not a bad idea at all. 

Of course there are question marks raised - our defence needs immediate attention and does this stop that happening? Can TM actually buy players he doesn't know, how limited is he in the transfer market. But overall as a transfer for the striker position I think it's a good move. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stuart said:

How much have we spent on defenders and goalkeepers in that time?

Wasting £7m on a sub and then replacing him 12 months later for £5m isn’t something to congratulate them for.

Well at least the mistake has been rectified (hopefully!) It shows how appalling the Bereton deal was rather than reflecting on Gally. Whilst Bereton was a huge waste of money sticking with that and not rectifying it would be worse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Blue blood said:

Well at least the mistake has been rectified (hopefully!) It shows how appalling the Bereton deal was rather than reflecting on Gally. Whilst Bereton was a huge waste of money sticking with that and not rectifying it would be worse. 

Even taking the possible stupidity of the Breo deal, getting him out on loan and playing could still make his £7m fee look like tuppence imo.

There is definitely a player in there, but need to get him game time as a striker. Inside forward isn't his position. Armstrong can get away with it using his pace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mike E said:

Even taking the possible stupidity of the Breo deal, getting him out on loan and playing could still make his £7m fee look like tuppence imo.

There is definitely a player in there, but need to get him game time as a striker. Inside forward isn't his position. Armstrong can get away with it using his pace.

What exactly has he shown? Genuinely thought Raya showed far more talent yet isn't worth persevering with. Raya kept us in games made amazing saves yes mucks ups too hence the worries  but he showed he has quality in him. What has Bereton done that hints at a top player being in him? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Blue blood said:

What exactly has he shown? Genuinely thought Raya showed far more talent yet isn't worth persevering with. Raya kept us in games made amazing saves yes mucks ups too hence the worries  but he showed he has quality in him. What has Bereton done that hints at a top player being in him? 

He has a burst of pace over 5 yards, great for creating space. He has a knack for drawing fouls around the box, although he's also guilty of diving imo.

He also is good at pouncing on defensive errors, led to a penalty and two goals in the last 6 months. Particularly thinking of one at home where a defender left it to roll out for a corner, Brereton just about caught up to it, cross, goal.

I think more game time as a striker will see him perform better than 20min cameos on the wing.

Edited by Mike E

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mike E said:

Even taking the possible stupidity of the Breo deal, getting him out on loan and playing could still make his £7m fee look like tuppence imo.

There is definitely a player in there, but need to get him game time as a striker. Inside forward isn't his position. Armstrong can get away with it using his pace.

Loaning Brereton out until January would be a good move for club and player. Will we do it though?

We’ve still not seen any major departures this window (Raya notwithstanding, who apparently wanted out). It’s hard to believe that there aren’t teams out there who want Dack, possibly even Danny Graham for an ambitious League One side. If we lose one of those it might paint a different picture and put more onus on Brereton being part of our first team plans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AshleyClifford said:

Over the last 3 seasons our net spend on transfers has been impressive. By my calculations we are around 17m incomings and outgoings around 4m. Prior to that we were under a transfer embargo because of our excess spending.

What we spend is not really a stick we can beat venkys with. We spend double our turnover every season even now. 

I suspect our over all net spend during the Venkys time here will be positive ie recouped more than we spent. Could be interesting, anyone know the figures ?

Since they came in the total player spend v income will probably be not far apart at all  they really aren't as daft as some make out in that area the real sticking point is obviously the yearly wage/loss budget which yes they do continue to underwrite but probably still around a 3rd of that each season is paying for THEIR previous mistakes we are probably still paying ex managers and coaching staffs pay offs.

My personal opinion is it suits them to have modest losses that way anyway as they are offsetting profit or spare cash from elsewhere so it's no big deal as long as it isn't to excessive. I also think they run a few mill through the club or VLL that doesn't touch the sides and goes somewhere else in a non dodgy creative accounting type way but that's another debate.

What they do deserve credit for is persevering with and allowing funding for the academy alongside those running it.

Edited by tomphil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, deryck guyler's spoon said:

Your maths is out. About 8.5m for the Brereton/Gallagher hybrid 😉

I can't wait to see Galleton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know if it’s the Stockholm Syndrome talking lads but since Venkys came in we’ve flogged over £80m worth of players by my maths.

We haven’t spent that.

Edited by S8 & Blue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Loaning Brereton out until January would be a good move for club and player. Will we do it though?

We’ve still not seen any major departures this window (Raya notwithstanding, who apparently wanted out). It’s hard to believe that there aren’t teams out there who want Dack, possibly even Danny Graham for an ambitious League One side. If we lose one of those it might paint a different picture and put more onus on Brereton being part of our first team plans.

There will definitely be teams out there who would bid for Dack but I honestly don't see us losing DG to a league one team no matter how big their ambition. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Beanie01289 said:

There will definitely be teams out there who would bid for Dack but I honestly don't see us losing DG to a league one team no matter how big their ambition. 

His legs have to go eventually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stuart said:

His legs have to go eventually.

This is true but I took your post as meaning we might get raided by a league one side ha. 

Dack will eventually be sold unfortunately unless we go up which I can't see I do think with we would struggle to replace him as he's so crucial to the team but with us having a decent collection of strikers it would allow us to move Arma Gally or Brereton in two a two up top with DG which would help them hopefully. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 10 million last summer plus wages 

Gally and Johnno wages plus what comes in goalkeeping wise. 

Investing not trading, I’m going to say thanks through gritted teeth to venkys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

I don’t know if it’s the Stockholm Syndrome talking lads but since Venkys came in we’ve flogged over £80m worth of players by my maths.

We haven’t spent that.

Our wage slips to rovers employees have been from a trust, the accounts suggests venkys group I don’t think they’ve actually inflated sums to cream off us as none are VH employees only VLL. They’ve stood the costs of bad singings, pay offs, umpteen managers and trading at a loss on income to salary for years that is where it’s gone.

Im no venky fan I’ve protested handed out flyers at Ewood you name it but actually they’re behaving and making decisions at the moment worthy of a custodian of a football club. Good luck to them hope it continues, I hope we go up they recoup half there debt which seemed unlikely 2 years ago and sell us recouping even more. 

We can’t complain at the moment, we can’t begrudge legacy issues but we are where we are and they seem to be actually along with Cheston and Co putting a plan together quietly which might against odds work. 

Souness once said said “we’ve got to wee with the willy we’ve got” seems to me we are doing that

Edited by Scotland1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scotland1 said:

Our wage slips to rovers employees have been from a trust, the accounts suggests venkys group I don’t think they’ve actually inflated sums to cream off us as none are VH employees only VLL. They’ve stood the costs of bad singings, pay offs, umpteen managers and trading at a loss on income to salary for years that is where it’s gone.

Im no venky fan I’ve protested handed out flyers at Ewood you name it but actually they’re behaving and making decisions at the moment worthy of a custodian of a football club. Good luck to them hope it continues, I hope we go up they recoup half there debt which seemed unlikely 2 years ago and sell us recouping even more. 

We can’t complain at the moment, we can’t begrudge legacy issues but we are where we are and they seem to be actually along with Cheston and Co putting a plan together quietly which might against odds work. 

Souness once said said “we’ve got to wee with the willy we’ve got” seems to me we are doing that

Coming from you (I saw the digging you were able to do when the Ewood WMC group was going, and you made the infamous 'dossier' look like a pamphlet), that makes me feel reasonably optimistic about our future security.

However, as Rovers Trust remind us, it only takes Venkys making a couple of decisions on a whim to send us into Bolton/Blackpool style worries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Coming from you (I saw the digging you were able to do when the Ewood WMC group was going, and you made the infamous 'dossier' look like a pamphlet), that makes me feel reasonably optimistic about our future security.

However, as Rovers Trust remind us, it only takes Venkys making a couple of decisions on a whim to send us into Bolton/Blackpool style worries.

Being honest it’s a question which I’d like to see a journalist from the LT or the fans forum ask? It’s quite important in my eyes, if the clubs honest I think more fans would be understanding of rovers transfer business. Is there a forum soon? It’s a question which would allay fans fears of having a Dack sold this summer. By my maths I think we are good for 18 months but Dack is sellable to bring us under FFP and givesroom to reinvest some proceeds and offset a years loss. 

Is the latest account loss exempt from FFP and part of SCMP? Where a huge loss hit? We must be still at a 10 per annum plus trading costs deficit purely based on salaries exceeding income basis.

Our salary bill is quoted mid tier in the championship, given youth progression and under 24 and 10 appearances from memory including staff and academy how much of the cost of these is exempt? 

Given we’ve missed some targets on fees as they’ve rose with more bidders have we offset the wages against fee principle and signed the likes of Johnson?

We are safe as a club, nothing tangible to strip, ground ain’t disappearing soon,  it’s VLL the parent company owing the debt away from Rovers with guarantees from the VH group to operate and cover losses.

Reality is club is deep for the overdraft at the moment. I can’t believe the FL negotiated Media rights so low for this league the most sixth watched, buying PL reserves is what’s busting most clubs hence we can’t compete with out going away from the model. It’s sensible how we are operating at the moment, it’s like how we used to too, we are relying on selling a gem or in the case of this year promotion. 

Personally promotion sees venkys offset share value off for a PL team sale about 80million, bank a tranche of sky dosh and lose half the lost already. If they stay we don’t spend we go down with the last 7 years being de ja vu. SBOI surely don’t hold assets of what they’ve loaned. For me SBOI difference is probably an asset of securities held, venkys want that back as I believe it’s land has rocketed, SBOI won’t loan more won’t recall following this KPMG new business British model

Edited by Scotland1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.