BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Football League Suspended

5 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Tests have  a 15% false negative and I'd assume fit young men will be asymptomatic, so this is just a ridiculous notion.  They should go back when the concerts, theatres, etc return to full whack. Season null and void, start again in autumn.

Tests will pick up asymptomatic carriers though. That's the whole point. The only risk I can see is that one or two players might pick up the virus between the most recent test to playing and the game but I'd imagine private test results can be obtained fairly quickly and that that risk is relatively low.

If we're waiting for zero risk or a vaccine before football resumes, we might still be sat here in ten years time. A satisfactory  vaccine might never be developed and the virus might be something that is always with us but something we learn to live with as greater herd immunity is achieved.

2 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Common sense finally prevails in League 2, now lets hope that the top 3 division finally make the sensible decison

It's not a common sense decision, it's one forced by economic necessity. League 1 and 2 Clubs  can't afford to stage matches behind closed doors or afford the testing or extra safety measures.

The common sense decision would be to complete the decision if finances permit. 

As it's likely to be quite a long time before fans are allowed back into stadiums, I don't see how the majority of Football League Clubs survive without very substantial assistance from elsewhere.

16 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Tests will pick up asymptomatic carriers though. That's the whole point.

My point was that 15 out of every 100 tests are false negatives, so if 15 are infected yet they show no signs (because they are young and fit)  they are going to pass it onto the rest.....and then it goes from there

Edited by Sparks Rover

3 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Common sense finally prevails in League 2, now lets hope that the top 3 division finally make the sensible decison

No-one gets relegated from league 2 so less likely to have kick offs.

Relegating clubs unexpectedly because they  just dropped in the relegation zone on a random date inMarch would be unfair and unsporting. We don't know what would happen so it would be fairer to void. Surely?

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Tests will pick up asymptomatic carriers though. That's the whole point. The only risk I can see is that one or two players might pick up the virus between the most recent test to playing and the game but I'd imagine private test results can be obtained fairly quickly and that that risk is relatively low.

If we're waiting for zero risk or a vaccine before football resumes, we might still be sat here in ten years time. A satisfactory  vaccine might never be developed and the virus might be something that is always with us but something we learn to live with as greater herd immunity is achieved.

I guess you all realize Covid-19 is a form of flu, albeit a more serious strain, you get a flu jab every winter if you are old enough or have underlying health conditions, i fear this strain will be here for many years so its a jab every year and take pot luck.

Also many thousands die of Flu every year. The thing is we are used to Flu,  i'm thinking in years to come Covid-19 will be the same

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hasta said:

No-one gets relegated from league 2 so less likely to have kick offs.

Relegating clubs unexpectedly because they  just dropped in the relegation zone on a random date inMarch would be unfair and unsporting. We don't know what would happen so it would be fairer to void. Surely?

Barrow should get in at Burys expense...hopefully 

5 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

I may be missing something but why are leagues making a decision to abandon now? Is it not best to wait to find out when it might be safe for football to return and then decide? 

Because they think it isn’t going to be safe for a long time 

Edited by rigger

10 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

I may be missing something but why are leagues making a decision to abandon now? Is it not best to wait to find out when it might be safe for football to return and then decide? 

I saw an interview with the Port Vale Chairwoman and she said immediately after yesterday's meeting and subsequent annulment they had a board meeting to plan for next season. The cost of testing and all other associated issues required to start up are simply out of their reach. It seemed to me that it has been a fait accompli for League Two for some time now.

Darned if you do I suppose.

45 minutes ago, rigger said:

Because they think it isn’t going to be safe for a long time 

But in theory it might not be safe until March in which case would you not just finish the current season?  If it's august then it would make sense to just start next season? 

51 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

But in theory it might not be safe until March in which case would you not just finish the current season?  If it's august then it would make sense to just start next season? 

They have shown leadership and made a decision. Whether it’s a good one,we will have to wait and see.

10 minutes ago, rigger said:

They have shown leadership and made a decision. Whether it’s a good one,we will have to wait and see.

Leadership comes in many forms, this particular leadership is not about the safety of players, its Financial leadership,(in my opinion)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, EgyptianPete said:

Leadership comes in many forms, this particular leadership is not about the safety of players, its Financial leadership,(in my opinion)

Fine, they are looking after their own interests. It is better than head in the sand leadership.

Testing alone is going to cost Championship clubs £210k.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18454365.cost-coronavirus-testing-championship-clubs-revealed/

With Rovers having three of their remaining five away matches a considerable distance away I was wondering what the travel arrangements would be. For London games they travel by train and are met by a coach at Euston to take them to the hotel. Normally they book a full first class carriage for players and staff but they would probably need two now. Similarly they would need at least two coaches. I know they have flown to Cardiff in the past on a private charter but now that would probably need two planes given the planes are quite small. For overnight stops they will likely need more rooms for single occupancy rather that sharing. Post match there will be no showers available if the training protocol is to be followed and players will have to turn up at the ground already changed.

All of this would come at a pretty heavy cost.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Testing alone is going to cost Championship clubs £210k.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18454365.cost-coronavirus-testing-championship-clubs-revealed/

With Rovers having three of their remaining five away matches a considerable distance away I was wondering what the travel arrangements would be. For London games they travel by train and are met by a coach at Euston to take them to the hotel. Normally they book a full first class carriage for players and staff but they would probably need two now. Similarly they would need at least two coaches. I know they have flown to Cardiff in the past on a private charter but now that would probably need two planes given the planes are quite small. For overnight stops they will likely need more rooms for single occupancy rather that sharing. Post match there will be no showers available if the training protocol is to be followed and players will have to turn up at the ground already changed.

All of this would come at a pretty heavy cost.

The company Rovers have flown with in the past are still operating, with aircraft that are carrying up to 40 passengers within social distancing rules.

4 hours ago, RoverDom said:

If it's August, you could still fit both in, and if it was next March you would probably only have time to finish this season.

The problem I suppose must be that League 1 and 2 Clubs can't afford to stage and play fixtures behind closed doors regardless of when they occur.

I'm quite surprised that it would not cost them more in lost revenue from the TV Companies trying to claw money back for not fulfilling fixtures than it would to stage them. Their TV deals can't be very lucrative.

38 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Please define "safe".

Pass. 

My point being that we will get to a point where league 2 are comfortable to start playing games again. Surely it's best to wait until then and see whether its feasible to finish this season or just go straight into next one.

4 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

Pass. 

My point being that we will get to a point where league 2 are comfortable to start playing games again. Surely it's best to wait until then and see whether its feasible to finish this season or just go straight into next one.

It's not a question of feeling "comfortable" with playing games, it's a financial consideration.

If there was a chance that games could continue as normal with fans within a reasonable timeframe that would be different matter but everyone is being so overly precious about coming out of lockdown that it's likely to be a very long time, possibly the season after next.

5 minutes ago, rigger said:

I can’t get a stream, what is the game like?

Not too bad. It's certainly different.

It's a top level football match in an empty stadium. The only noises aside from the commentators are players and coaches shouting. 

There is only the action to concentrate on so I feel that I can see a bit more of what players are doing.