BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Football League Suspended

19 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Yes, most fans (Cue, ‘well me and my mates and family want to watch every single behind closed doors game, we can’t wait)

Yes, rest of UK football. Scotland, League 2 and non league. League 1 will follow soon enough.

Of course the PL and Championship clubs want to play on, that was kind of the point of my post...

I dont know how you can make that claim of most fans? Spoke to them all? 

But Spanish, Italian, Austria clubs are returning plus German Football has returned. 

BT sport viewing figures were the same as PL games for their coverage of Bundesliga. 

I wonder what the viewing figure for the 1st PL Game? 

Edited by chaddyrovers

I’m not claiming anything, it’s my opinion, as that’s what a message board is.

I’m talking about the UK, couldn’t give a feck about the stances of other nations, good luck to them.

Im sure ITV’s re-showing of Euro 96 is pulling in the viewers too, it’s a novelty at the moment. A year of behind closed doors football will see that novelty wear off very quickly.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Im sure ITV’s re-showing of Euro 96 is pulling in the viewers too, it’s a novelty at the moment. A year of behind closed doors football will see that novelty wear off very quickly.

Who knows how long behind close doors? Let's see what happen by these vaccines and treatments. 

Yes I'm sure it pulling viewers but I've seen those games and I remember the results anyway. Just like Sky Sports replaying football games or cricket matches or Ryder cup. I watched them but I remember them anyway. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

22 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

According to my paper this morning - " The Premier League has said fans may not be able to return to matches for a year, even if it's Project Restart is successful."

I must admit Tyrone that I'm not expecting to be back in a football ground until the start of the 21-22 season - and even then I suspect it will probably need a vaccine before the government allow it or, indeed, many older folk would be happy to go back.  I noticed in the government guidelines for sport they had mooted the prospect of  'behind closed doors' sport until a vaccine or successful drug treatment had been found.  

10 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

I must admit Tyrone that I'm not expecting to be back in a football ground until the start of the 21-22 season - and even then I suspect it will probably need a vaccine before the government allow it or, indeed, many older folk would be happy to go back.  I noticed in the government guidelines for sport they had mooted the prospect of  'behind closed doors' sport until a vaccine or successful drug treatment had been found.  

Let's hope we are both around to see it .

• Like 1

14 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

My understanding is that private labs have always had tests available if a person is willing to pay for them.

What the government has and what the labs have can exist separately.

There was feigned uproar over here a few months back. 2 basketball players from the Utah Jazz got the virus. Within 24 hours the whole team, plus trainers, coaches, and ancillary staff were tested.

Their argument was that they paid for a private lab to do it.

Spot on, this argument that football is somehow stopping key workers from getting tests by paying for them from a different private source is absolute nonsense.

If the NHS had the option to use said private tests they probably wouldn't take it as they will have a huge contract with another supplier.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

According to my paper this morning - " The Premier League has said fans may not be able to return to matches for a year, even if it's Project Restart is successful."

I would expect that as well given everyone seems to be so overly  risk averse to coming out of lockdown.

41 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

If they allow a reduced number of fans in the stadium (even if it was a couple of hundred) you might have a better chance of getting in than most because of all the youth/EDS games you attend. Didn't the commentator say there were a small number of fans at the Dortmund/Schalke game or were they all family/friends/employees?

Edited by Vinjay

13 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

This long ago stopped being about ‘sporting integrity’ in the PL.

They know most fans aren’t particularly arsed if they just put a line under this season and point per game it like the rest of U.K. football will be doing, in fact it would just be a relief all round as we hear increasingly daft conditions placed on the matches - further diluting the sacred ‘integrity’.

Yet, they stagger on creating an ever bigger PR disaster, absolutely desperate to grab as much cash as possible to pay their mind boggling wage bills.

It’s all so very unedifying and I believe the game will be in for an all mighty shock when crowds dwindle away in 2021, they are just very, very lucky that the TV deals aren’t imminently up for renewal or the whole house of cards would have come crashing down.

Partially disagree, as long as Rovers survive, 'm not going to come to any harm if there's no football for the next five years - I'd rather my favourite Pubs and Restaurants reopened before football, but when the game does restart I'd say the only thing that matters is that we carried on from where we left off to maintain the integrity of the competition.

Obviously Clubs lower down the Football League can't afford to complete fixtures behind closed doors so that's just unfortunate and inevitable but not the ideal scenario. Quite where that leaves them for next season when the situation regarding fans is unlikely to be much different  is anyone's guess.

I still don't think most people appreciate the magnitude of the Crisis facing the game. Many think it's a case of people unreasonably wanting footballers to put their health on the line for their entertainment. It's a lot more serious than that, all but the richest few Clubs at the top of each domestic League face a desperate battle for survival.

And even though they are ahead of us regarding the virus in Germany even the Bundesliga have made no bones about the situation regarding their return warning half their top flight Clubs would go bust if they did not return behind closed doors and fulfill their fixtures and contractual obligations to TV Companies.

The main issue is that even if a good number of clubs survive, 12/18 months out of the ground will see the habits of match goers broken and a collapse in crowd figures not seen for many a decade.

Edited by Mattyblue

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

The main issue is that even if a good number of clubs survive, 12/18 months out of the ground will see the habits of match goers broken and a collapse in crowd figures not seen for many a decade.

It might be lucky for us that we have already had practice of going  through that collapse 

35 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I'm not sure Matty. It may well be as you say, but many other activities will be limited as well. You may find the first game back after 12 months could be massively attended. Waggot will have it pencilled as a category A+ game just incase.

Edited by Hasta

It probably will. Remember the first game after Kean went? The gate jumped about 5,000, it soon died back down.

Our crowd is heavily built on the back of a hardcore of 8,000- 10,000 ST holders, we lose a fair number of those due to a plethora of reasons in the post COVID world and we will down to mid 80s levels.

Edited by Mattyblue

4 minutes ago, Hasta said:

I'm not sure Matty. It may well be as you say, but many other activities will be limited as well. You may find the first game back after 12 months could be massively attended. Waggot will have it pencilled as a category A+ game just incase.

If I was selling the first game back, it would be free to this seasons, season-ticket holders, and a fiver for walk-ons. Money will be tight, and habits will have changed. Prices should be tempting to get people back to Ewood.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

John Williams was always of that view based on the Club's analysis of people who had let their season ticket lapse.

The analysis showed that relatively few people ever returned (at least as ST holders) if they let it go. His view was we are creatures of habit who get used to and are quite happy doing other things once we stop doing something.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, rigger said:

If I was selling the first game back, it would be free to this seasons, season-ticket holders, and a fiver for walk-ons. Money will be tight, and habits will have changed. Prices should be tempting to get people back to Ewood.

For the minimal difference in revenue it would make it would be better PR to make it free entry for all to show the Club stood shoulder to shoulder with everyone etc.

As long as you thereafter sorted out ST holders.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

For the minimal difference in revenue it would make it would be better PR to make it free entry for all to show the Club stood shoulder to shoulder with everyone etc.

As long as you thereafter sorted out ST holders.

As a large percentage of our attendance is made up of season-ticket holders, I would stick to my original suggestion.

Hull the first Championship club to break ranks and call for a curtailment of the season.

Obviously a shed load of self interest there with them 21st, but a return to action doesn’t seem to be cut and dried as some posters thought.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/hull-city-allam-season-voided-4144894.amp

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

Fair play to Troy Deeney as well who has refused to go back to training because he has a little boy with breathing difficulties and carrying the further risk of being from a BAME background. He has said that his families health is more important than the financial side and I am sure he isnt the only player with such a stance.

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead
1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Fair play to Troy Deeney as well who has refused to go back to training because he has a little boy with breathing difficulties and carrying the further risk of being from a BAME background. He has said that his families health is more important than the financial side and I am sure he isnt the only player with such a stance.

Troy Deeney also said ‘I’ve been broke before, so I’m not bothered if I don’t get paid’.

Fair play to him.

• Like 7

"I can't get a haircut until mid-July but I can go and get in a box with 19 people and go and jump for a header and nobody could answer the questions, not because they didn't want to, just because they don't know the information."

This was a quote that showed how illogical it all is.

• Like 1

• Backroom

Warmed to Deeney when he was asked about if he felt pressure taking a penalty, he responded that when he was young his mum was a single parent working 2 jobs to put food on the table, not a well payed footballer kicking a ball!

His attitude is spot on, football isn’t as important as sometimes made out, no matter how much people may like the Shankly quote

• Like 4