BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 0 Everton 0

philipl

Agree, Dan. Flitcroft has done enough to justify a contract at the club IMO, however as a big-earner he might be offloaded or at least forced to take a paycut to stay. Yesterday, he combined well with Ferguson to stop their midfield trio from helping the solitary Bent upfront.

Was glad when Everton put on Ferguson, that they kept playing with just one striker. It just isn't dangerous, when the runs from midfield are being followed with great discipline.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone seemed to be incredibly downbeat about the Spurs performance and incredibly upbeat after this one whereas I actually thought there was very little to choose between the two performances.

Not the worst ever but totally bereft of any creative spark in either instance.

The positives from yesterday were that once again we were defensively solid and our relegation rivals all received a good tubbing improving our relative goal difference.

Negatives, we lost probably 4000-5000 home fans off the gate following the drab Spurs performance, and this was no better as a spectacle. Dire fare apart from the first five and the last ten minutes.

There was no creativity in midfield and we were even less impressive up front. To my mind Bothroyd and Dickov are rapidly playing themselves down the pecking order as being the least likely out of the current strikers to come up with the goals necessary to save our premiership skin.

Was also disappointed with Hughes for the first time. With Everton playing so badly the game was clearly there to be won and with our front two also being so poor both Stead and Gallagher should have been given at least half an hour together imo.

As it was we only showed any real attacking impetus when Gallagher was introduced with 8 minutes to go. Whatever the current deficiencies in his overall game ( and he was careless running offside) it can't be denied that things seem to happen when he's around.

Apparently there's been some research to show that it is physically impossible for linesmen to flag offside properly. They have to scan too wide an area and keep tabs on too many moving objects. Human sight cannot properly manage it.

Scan or no scan the linesman's decision at Anfield was absolutely unforgivable! His only defence is that offside is not now a black and white decision as it used to be but if Kluivert was not given offside then linesman are only required to make throw-in decisions in future.

Anyway the close up on his face showed that he knew that he had dropped an almighty bollock.

Finally I criticised Gally for unprofessionalism in running into an offside position but the same goes for Kluivert who made no attempt to even check back.

Interesting match report. Makes the point that Everton changed their formation, Rovers didn't and very nearly won. However, I agree with RB that bringing Gallagher on a bit earlier for the ineffective Bothroyd would have been a good move.

The report quite rightly slags off the residents around Ewood.

Yet again, Blackburn showing that it neither wants nor deserves a Premier League football team.

Stead showed last season that he could cut it in the Premier League.

Gallagher has showed glimpses at times that he has something to offer at this level as well.

Unfortunately, Stead doesn't have Cole to play with this season.

And he's out of form.

But I think its almost getting to the point that you might as well just throw Stead in and keep playing him until he gets his confidence back.

Is a low-on-confidence Johnny as good as a Dickov?

Yet again, Blackburn showing that it neither wants nor deserves a Premier League football team.

Philip, I usually agree with much of what you post but that is way over the top. There may be local residents who have a parking issue on match day- I don't know if that's true or not, other than many local roads were made resident's Parking Permit two years ago.

The journo would presumably have been given a club parking spot for free and is doing nothing other than having the usual media pop at Rovers. Local parking is not an issue for fans. The only road I know of closed around Ewood on match days is Bolton Road, for about ten minutes after the game. Surely 20,000 people crossing the same road at once does need policing?

I'd agree Saturday's crowd was poor but it's nothing to do with local residents.

On Saturday Stead and Gallagher should of both been brought on and given at least 20 minutes to prove themselves.

Bothroyd had his worst game for us and Dickov tired.

We should of had a penalty and I cant believe that on the Match of the Day it actually said you wont see a more stone wall penalty claim all season. ohmy.gif

The performance was poor but to be fair we bossed the game and should of won.

If the residents are griping I don't know what for. I've lived on one road where 15,000 factory workers passed four times a day in car and on bicycle; and another where you couldn't even get on to the road during the peak holiday season. You live with it and adjust accordingly. It's not as if it's something new.

And they're quite happy for their kids to use Ewood Car Park as a playground at any other times. mad.gif

(Apologies for off topic but it's statements like that which make me cross -'local parking for local people' indeed; bet the stadium has been there longer than them).

Match-wise; would have liked to seen Gally on earlier together with either Stead or MGP (his pace would have given them a thing or two to think about) and that was definitely a penalty...

Edited by roversmum

Negatives, we lost probably 4000-5000 home fans off the gate following the drab Spurs performance.

Worrying statistic isn't it.......just highlights how fickle Rovers fans are,although I'd probably cut those figures down to about 2,500- 3000 RB!

P.S. Its the ruddy council who call the shots with the parking restrictions round Ewood on Matchday not the residents.....go vent your spleen to them!!

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

P.S. Its the ruddy council who call the shots with the parking restrictions round Ewood on Matchday not the residents.....go vent your spleen to them!!

I'm only saying if you live near a football stadium you must expect disruption on match days.

We have some difficulty in that Mr Roversmum isn't able to walk (I should say move - he doesn't have a wheelchair) very far and we can't afford to park at Ewood. Luckily a nearby business kindly lets us park there or we wouldn't be able to go to matches.

Saturday's attendance was a bit of a disappointment but given the time of year not surprising really. Miss Roversmum went for an extra ticket for the Newcastle match and has to sit in the family stand with her friend rather than the Blackburn End Lower so hopefully that means there will be a good Boxing Day turnout.

Scan or no scan the linesman's decision at Anfield was absolutely unforgivable! His only defence is that offside is not now a black and white decision as it used to be but if Kluivert was not given offside then linesman are only required to make throw-in decisions in future.

Anyway the close up on his face showed that he knew that he had dropped an almighty bollock.

Finally I criticised Gally for unprofessionalism in running into an offside position but the same goes for Kluivert who made no attempt to even check back.

The bottom line is that the linesman followed the letter of the law on both occasions and made the correct decision. Now, you can argue that the law is @#/? and I'd completely agree but the linesman made didn't get anything wrong.

I'm only saying if you live near a football stadium you must expect disruption on match days.

Couldn't agree more Roversmum and your quite correct saying that Ewood park has been there longer than the majority of the housing around it.

Just making the point that its this godforsaken council that imposed the parking bans....I live around Livesey and personally speaking putting up with people parking for 90 minutes every other saturday was never a problem to be honest......SO LONG AS IT WASN'T INFRONT OF OUR RUDDY DRIVE!! mad.gif

laugh.gif

Interesting match report.

He's certainly got apprentice pie-eater James Beattie sussed in the bone idle stakes! laugh.gif

But apparently not Flitcroft and Ferguson in the enforcer stakes...... but I'm sure Carsley and Graveson will have! ohmy.gif

Rather than diss BRFC, Plod or even the mard-arse, on-the-make local residents he should be criticising the ludicrously self-styled 'Council of the Year'! It is their responsibility after all. mad.gif

Edited by thenodrog

Get your point, SG! biggrin.gif

Perhaps we should start a topic along the lines of "Council of the Year and Blackburn Rovers" - as a resident of a different borough I've never been too sure exactly where the council stands regarding Rovers and would be interested to know.

Parking near Ewood...it was the residents that complained and the Council had to act with residents only parking.Go to London for the eventual outcome of this,at Ewood the only places to park are at least a mile away now.

More reasons why Uncle Jack should have bought more residents out of their homes!We need reverse Park'N Ride for the home matches or re-introduce the Town Centre buses or the Darwe-Blackburn tram.

Now what was this thread about?

Was also disappointed with Hughes for the first time. With Everton playing so badly the game was clearly there to be won and with our front two also being so poor both Stead and Gallagher should have been given at least half an hour together imo.

As it was we only showed any real attacking impetus when Gallagher was introduced with 8 minutes to go. Whatever the current deficiencies in his overall game ( and he was careless running offside) it can't be denied that things seem to happen when he's around.

Agree on both points. As I was watching the game I was really hoping he might replace bith the front two with Stead and Gally. We really were crying out for someone who could bring something a little different, and Stead and Gally can definately do that.

Dickov is priceless for his work ethic but it seems he is easily figured out, opposing defenders just get right up on his arse, hold him, push him and kick him, knowing full well that nine times out of ten there will be no call. He should be creating space for others if he can ocuppy defenders so well but it just does not seem to working. Saturday, late in the game, called for a forward who with one move could out fox the Everton back line and the only two I know we have that can bring that fresh innovative type of play are the aforementioned young lads. Don't think Sparky had the gonads to risk the point going for all three.

I disagree- for the first time I've seen them this season, the Rovers had stopped giving the ball away stupidly and cheaply PLUS we were defending effectively from front to back.

The first two involvements by Gally when he came on were a poor touch and a bad pass- suppose either of those had lead to an Everton goal... what would have been levelled against Hughes then?

At this stage of the season better to bank the one point against one of the tightest defences around and climb up to 16th. The expansive playing MGP type of stuff can come after we've won a couple more games and put some real daylight between ourselves and 18th.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.