BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 2 Newcastle 2

Similarly we don't have a better striker at present, something backed up by stats as well as what was on display. If and when we buy one fair enough but until then let's get behind the lads especially when they are working their nuts off. It's going to be a battle to stay up so you'll just have to face up to that.

You are correct, we don't have a better striker at the moment. They are all poor and we desparately need at least one in January. We can only get draws because we can't score goals!

Do you realise that before yesterday we had played for about five hours without scoring!

Great strikers we have.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Manchester Blue I can accept we can all have an opionion but to me certain people are just determined to slate him come what may.

I'm not slating him, he plays the game to his abilities, but is to predictable and I feel he stiffles any partner that he plays along side.

I've watched him now half a season and to me the only thing he has going for him is his work rate. Constantly backing into defenders and appealing for fouls is not the answer.

The problem at the moment, as a previous manager said, we have to wee with the willie we've got. And that is wee willie Dickov.

If we are to get some more goals we need to experiment, by trying another two players up front.

With the strikers we have got you HAVE to play Dickov. Any manager would.

He makes things happen- Stead was awful yesterday, not tough enough for this league.... Bothroyd has shown glimpes but is he upto it? Gally is not deemed good enough to start anymore.

Edited by John

i think if andy cole was still here him and dickov would be scoring for fun, dickov would put all the work in, and cole would get into the positions we need a similar player to cole someone who is proven and will get us goals. Unless stead starts to score which is a bit unlikely.

rover.gif the dikov debate will rumble on for ever,i never rated him but i have been impressed with his preformance's.when he signed i stated if dickov was our main striker we would have a poor season,which we are having.

he reminds me off speedie,just not good enough for the premier but a steady division one player.i too would like too see gally and stead given a run,but i cannot see it happening atm.lets hope if he is sacrificed in the transfer window it's as sucsessfull as the sheare/speedie transfer tinykit.gif

Alan, I've got to agree 100% with your assessment of Dickov. However, he really is the first striker to go onto the teamsheet at the moment, and that speaks volumes for the situation.

I can't see any other combination of strikers that would be good enough to lead us out of the "championship", never mind save us from the drop.

Looks to me as if Bothroyd will have to go back to Italy as well. A non scoring centre forward, is what nobody wants. sad.gif

Right I'll get ready to duck when the bricks start to fly.

Yes Dickov, has scored some goals, but what does he do.?

He runs around for 90 minutes.

What else does he do.?

Can he run with the ball and beat a defender.? No

Is able to out pace a defender.? No

Is he good in the air.? No.

So what does he do.?

He continualy backs into defenders, throwing his arms around the back of defenders stopping them from backing away or to get in front of him.

90% of the time this happens he ends on his backside, demanding a free kick. As do 99% of the fans.

Referees have become wise to him, thats why free kicks arent awarded.

His running around all over the place must be very frustrating for any striker who has to team up with him. How can you link up if you havent a clue where the hell he's run to.

There is no apparent pattern to his play, any midfielder wanting to feed him, has to scour the field to find him.

He has been partnered with Jansen, Bothroyd, Gally and Stead, but have any of those partnerships looked comfortable. ? Not in my opinion.

Whilst I cant complain about his work rate, my personal opinion is that if Rovers are to get some goals and are to develop a striking partnership then Dickov must be dropped to the bench and a different partnership tried up front.

eg Stead and Gally

Best summary of Dickov I've seen to date. Though to be fair I would add that, on a sample of two, he takes a good penalty.

Yesterday was only his second goal from open play in the last 14 games, and the one before that was a completely mis-timed header, so I'm not sure I buy the "irreplaceable" tag given to him by other posters.

I still think that if he's still our #1 choice going into the spring, it's touch and go if we stay up.

So quiet people, so quiet!

Took some friends who had never been before- they enjoyed both defences on display but could not understand why there was such a quiet home support.

It was very strange, blokey that sits near to us gave me a talking to at the end, for not being my usual vocal self. But everytime I tried it died a death very very quickly.

Must have been the ice!

I watched the highlights of our game on Football First, and that was definately a game that we should have won. We need to start winning, because draws don't keep you in the Premiership. But we are playing alot better, and apart from Dyer's goal, we are defending alot better as well. I thought that Stead had a good game, linked up well, but is just not getting the chances that he was last season. Thompson had a fine game and with Reid being doubtful for the next game, he will easily come into the team.

As for the summation of Dickov's overall play, I'd have to agree. He did score yesterday, but I do feel that you have to bring more to a game than passion and commitment, in the shape of skill and good link up play, which Dickov doesn't have. I'd like to see him getting sub for once as well.

Somebody stated that they thought Brad was at fault for both goals - to me that beggers belief, i can not undestand how you can fault the goalie when someone runs at you unchallenged from 25 yards out.

Then Brad set up a wall with cover in the right places and then the defenders duck out of the way of the ball - criminal..... Stead and Matteo being the guilty party.

Then in the second half Matteo missed timed a clearance that caused mayhem in the Rovers box - luckily Rovers rescued the situation but we could have gone another goal behind. Stead just got poorer and poorer in the second half -miss timing challenges passing the ball out of play.

As for what the majority of you are saying is yes we desperately need a new quality striker - someone who will tip the balance of draws into wins.

I remember Ferguson getting goal side of the Newcastle midfield and running with the ball towards the Newcastle defenders with their midfield in hot pursuit, Ferguson was looking for the forwards to make a run or show for the ball but both did neither and Ferguson passed it sideways to Emmerton...... the attack slowed down and Newcastle got back in numbers. Scandolous forward play from our two attackers i hope Hughesy spotted it!

But on a more positive note the organisation, application and commitment is there we just need a bit more quality to go with it and we can all look forward to a brighter future.

On Friedel when a player runs at you from 25 yards out if not more i'd expect the keeper to come out like Jusskalainen did against Man U with Giggs yesterday. Instead Friedel was rooted to the spot like against Liverpool when appeared to be tied to his near post. As for the free kick it went around the wall not through it or over it. Friedel was just slow to get down but his left is weaker side so maybe that explains it. I wouldn't say he was poor but I would have expected better.

Friedel organised the wall, yes you could say maybe an extra body would have helped but watching the goal from behind the nets Matteo had an opportunity to get in the way of the ball instead he ducked out of the way -unacceptable.

Matteo and Steads performances were unacceptable to me not only in that instance but through the game but i'll remain loyal to Friedel and give him the benefit of the doubt though it is the second time he has been done by Robert.

You couldn`t play worse the Matteo did in the first half, even if you really trried to. A bit better though in 2nd half.

The wonderful `Toon Army` seemed more interested than jumping around and baiting us in the Darwen End than watching the match.

Reid, Ferguson and NEJ played really well, as did Todd.

The big lad at the back, Taylor ? played well for them, as did Milner I thought.

Amusing chant-on Uriah Rennies entrance to the game-"The referees a black belt!".

No mention of Lucas Neill...my man of the match.The thread has too much complaining re Dickov.Not only is he an absolute steal for £150k but with our lack of money we'll not find a good enough striker to replace him.For a double-whammy I'd go for Robbie Blake.Also buy Savage to push ferguson higher up the pitch.

Back to the match.How similar the last 10mins v Everton and the bar-codes.Wanting to keep the point but not quite convinced with our attacking style .Thommo the headless chicken still a threat and a risk at the same time.

and on to the " breezeblock". Wrap up well.

tinykit.gif Jal

that was me.

I sit right behind the Blackburn End goal and IMo Brad was clearly at fault.

Goal 1

Fyer breaks free of the defensive line and heads off to the right of the area, Brad, instead of going out to meet him allows himself to move to his own left side and then instead of fronting him he backs off leaving a gaping big hole to his rght, result GOAL.

Goal 2

A free kick defensive wall is in place - 3 Rovers players - Brad is cleearly pointing to his left, goes to check his angle and then decides to move to his right. At the same time - from my honoured position - the fans behind that goal can clearly see a massive gap to Brads left hand side. Indeed if you see the goal from a different angle you will notice TODD pointing at Brad to stay left, the crowd around me can easily see that the whole left side is wide open as Brad statys right and makes a dreadful effort in trying to cover is obvious embarrassment, he even insists on having a go at the 3 man wall. His anger should have been directed at himself for leaving that amount of space or like every other goalie who has faced the french sulking mother he should have placed a defender to his left on the line. JHC the kick was nothing spectacular after all mad.gif

so there is my opinion Kal, like it or leave it but thats what I saw

Robert smashed the ball with whip and pace on target.

Maybe Brad should have been better placed, maybe he shouldn't. But few players in this league can hit a freekick like that. I don't think there are many keepers around who could have saved that.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.