BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 2 Newcastle 2

Slowly but surely we are making progress. We are hard to beat, we are very organised and have started to play abit too. Hughes is doing a good job.

I agree with that comment.

I think some people do not realise just how bad we were when Souness left. Yes we are drawing alot of games and ideally we could have done with turning one or two of them into wins.

But we are now going into games with a chance and are disappointed when we don't win. That to me is a dramatic improvement from a couple of months ago when losing was expected.

We are still far from a good team but we are a damn sight closer than we were.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think most should be able to realise that very improvement from their own confidence going into games. I don't mean we are by any means Chelsea or Arsenal, but surely all of us felt better about facing Newcastle this time, where many of us expected a win, to earlier in this season, when I think we basically all knew we were dead ducks.

We are on the road to recovery, and in terms of having actual success, albeit as much success as any midtable club can have, I think we all have to accept that, that will happen in a year or two's time if we stick by the current management.

For now this improvement makes me feel confident that we won't be relegated, and that we may even scrape into the top half and finish somewhere from 8-14. Things could be a lot worse...we could be Newcastle supporters tinykit.gif

Who needs newspapers - we've got Scotty smile.gif great summary of an entertaining game.

Nothing to add except I trust the Ref's Association will look into the fact we were robbed of 6-7 minutes of play. Professional referees? My arse.

My quick summary:

Dyer goal: Nissa, best master the basics before you start trying all that fancy 'offside trap' stuff. Never offside.

Dickov goal: Newcastle's defence is as big an oxymoron as Microsoft Works. Quick thinking from Ferguson and a tidy finish from the Wee Dick.

Robert goal: Still deciding who to blame. Friedel looked flat footed, but then he would stand at the other side of the goal because you'd think the wall would have the near post covered. Maybe I'm not being generous enough to Robert. By the way, what in the name of Dio was Flitty thinking with that tackle? Robbie Savage, please.

Todd goal: Again, quick thinking from a set piece, and a good effort from Fergie. Andy did his very best to make amends with Souness by ballooning it over the bar, but unfortunately he sclaffed it in. I guess they'll have to mend fences later. Did I mention Newcastle can't defend?

Other musings:

Fergie - even Paul will grudgingly admit he had a decent game. smile.gif

Dickov - criticise away, he's going to score as many goals as Andy Cole this season.

The defence - looking reasonably solid but I'll still be happy when we get a new face or two in. Either one of Nissa and Todd with a better defender will do fine to keep us up. The two of them together still isn't as secure as I'd like. Matteo is doing no wrong at left back (apart from that one piece of suicidal 'defending' in the second half that Nissa did his very best to outdo a secondd later).

Stead played reasonably well I thought, but I get the feeling that even if he scores it won't set him on a run. Most of his best work seems to be outside the box just now.

Edited by Radagast

We really need to start winning matches. However, improvement is self-evident in the performances and that is really encouraging...

The MGP enigma continues unabated as Hughes chooses to replace Reid with Thompson rather than a natural winger in the Norwegian.

withstupid.gif

because reid started on the right wing?.

I think our defence is looking much more assured than even a few months ago!

I still think we lack 3 quality players.1 probably in defence, since Spector will probably play left back,we will need a center back,lets hope Mokoena does the job!

1 in midfield,Id say we need a central midfielder, Savage could be the man,or maybe Dabo.

But undoubtedly the position that we are most lacking is up front.WE NEED a quality striker.

We have been playing better,and are hard to beat and resilient,but all that is thrown away if we dont take our chances and we arent.Our midfielders arent pitching in with too many either,so right now Dickov has scored almost a third of our goals if not more.

Hughesy GET A STRIKER!

On a side note, im very impressed that the drive we show so late in the game, we were trying to win the game even in the 93rd minute, the players well up for it.3 months ago they wouldve been going through the motions.

Edited by Bobby G

rover.gif one game a season i really look forward too,and i thought it was a cracker.we have still not ironed out our defensive problems,we always seem to give ourselve's a mountian to climb,but can we climb it.

i thought we were superb yesterday,newcastle had 2 shots and got 2 goals,we had a sackfull and scored 2.stead needs a goal but i thought he had a great game yesterday,did anyone else think klivert was huge in size yesterday.

as for souey's reception,we must have some of the hardest faced followers in english football tinykit.gif

Right I'll get ready to duck when the bricks start to fly.

Yes Dickov, has scored some goals, but what does he do.?

He runs around for 90 minutes.

What else does he do.?

Can he run with the ball and beat a defender.? No

Is able to out pace a defender.? No

Is he good in the air.? No.

So what does he do.?

He continualy backs into defenders, throwing his arms around the back of defenders stopping them from backing away or to get in front of him.

90% of the time this happens he ends on his backside, demanding a free kick. As do 99% of the fans.

Referees have become wise to him, thats why free kicks arent awarded.

His running around all over the place must be very frustrating for any striker who has to team up with him. How can you link up if you havent a clue where the hell he's run to.

There is no apparent pattern to his play, any midfielder wanting to feed him, has to scour the field to find him.

He has been partnered with Jansen, Bothroyd, Gally and Stead, but have any of those partnerships looked comfortable. ? Not in my opinion.

Whilst I cant complain about his work rate, my personal opinion is that if Rovers are to get some goals and are to develop a striking partnership then Dickov must be dropped to the bench and a different partnership tried up front.

eg Stead and Gally

Fergie - even Paul will grudgingly admit he had a decent game. smile.gif

I thought Ferguson was extremley good, probably his best game for us to date. His quick-thinking for Dickov's goal was superb and he played the type of football I have been expecting. As Newcastle don't have much of a midfield this would suggest we need an "enforcer" to work alongside BF to free him up to do the creative stuff? He effectively created Nissa' goal. One point no one has raised, Given was spilling the ball all over the place yet we didn't exactly pepper his goal with shots and our follow up on shots was poor.

an entertaining game

You hit the nail on the head, thats the difference between the current and past manager.

Same players but different attitude and performances.

By my reckoning we had 24000 Rovers at the game. With "Kids for a Quid" against Charlton and the fact yesterday was very entertaining I really hope we can get another decent holiday crowd in. Give them another performance and perhaps folk will realise things are not quite as bad as they look?

eg Stead and Gally

With you all the way.

Gally has shown he can make a difference in the few minutes play he has had in recent games. I felt Stead had a very good game yesterday, with a little more luck he would have scored, and he is certainly no less effective than any of our other strikers. Dickov is fine, he works hard but will never get the pulse racing, as Alan says his game is very predictable.

I thought Stead had one of his poorer games yesterday.He started off well in the first half, but he was a non-present force in the second and faded out.

But I do agree with the idea that our current striking partnerships are limiting us.As strange as it may seem,we might need to drop our top goal scorer to sort it out.

Though I think its IMPERATIVE to sign a proven goal scorer in January and soon!But at what price and what likelihood?

an entertaining game

You hit the nail on the head, thats the difference between the current and past manager.

Same players but different attitude and performances.

By my reckoning we had 24000 Rovers at the game. With "Kids for a Quid" against Charlton and the fact yesterday was very entertaining I really hope we can get another decent holiday crowd in. Give them another performance and perhaps folk will realise things are not quite as bad as they look?

Yep, lets hope to see those fans back at Ewood for the Charlton game,kids for a quid......what an absolute bargain.Ewood looked at its best again yesterday with a near full house.

2 ADULTS AND 3 CHILDREN IN THE RIVERSIDE OUTER FOR £33 V CHARLTON.....ONE ADULT TICKET TO NOTLOB £35!!!!!!!! ohmy.gifblink.gif

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

rover.gif since my 1st post i have watched the game on football 1st and both goals were dreadfully defended,the offside was carbage and stead and matteo need to toughen up,both ducked out off the way off a missle/bullet/punch oh no a pumped up bit off leather discracefull.

other than that we played some tremendous football,maybe souey will bid for fergie on saturday tinykit.gif

Totally agree with you re Dickov Alan 75 but I do not have a solution with our current players.

I do not rate either Stead or Gally, both lightweights with atrocious first touches, both clumsy and both flattered to deceive last season.

Bothroyd provides more questions than answers and cannot control his temper so that leaves us with the reserves, who I have not seen and Jansen.

Jansen may still make it with a decent partner but we do not have one for him.

It is essential then that we sign at least one striker in January. To me this is more necessary than any other position and if it takes all our availible funds then so be it. May I however add one caviat? Please, please not Hartson. We need someone with a brain and the ability to think as quickly as Ferguson in order to take advantage of his intelligent play and not a donkey.

Just to touch on another subject. I blamed Freidel for both of Newcastle's goals yesterday. I hope it was just a bad day because we have come to rely on big Brad as Mr Dependable and need him on form desparately.

What else does he do.?

Can he run with the ball and beat a defender.? No

Is able to out pace a defender.? No

Is he good in the air.? No.

So what does he do.?

How about Score goals? Create goals, and also create opportunities like the free kick we scored from in the first half. You know one of those free kicks he wins which you don't think he does. He also holds the ball up and links up with midfield.

You can pick fault all day long if you choose to, of course he's not great in the air, and he isn't very pacey but he does the job he's on the pitch to do and yesterday scored a goal. I was dead chuffed but I just knew someone would be on to have a go. I can accept we can all have an opionion but to me certain people are just determined to slate him come what may.

If people only concentrate on the negative then IMO they have an agenda against him. Like the argument he doesn't score enough from open play. You show me the rule where goals from open play count for less?

I watched yesterday and I thought at times Flitcroft was pathetic, he misplaced a load of easy passes and skied one as per usual. However he also worked his nuts off, put in a shedload of decent tackles and was vital to the cause. Do I concentrate on the negative? No because he had a job to do and also because we don't have another player who can do his job better. If we get Savage fair enough but until then Flitcroft has to carry on as long as he works as hard.

Similarly we don't have a better striker at present, something backed up by stats as well as what was on display. If and when we buy one fair enough but until then let's get behind the lads especially when they are working their nuts off. It's going to be a battle to stay up so you'll just have to face up to that.

Brilliant game to watch yesterday. Thought we were unlucky in some aspects. But again our defending cost us I thought.

Dyer wasn't offside, well timed run and a good finish. Thought Ferguson in midfield did really well against Dyer and Jenas. Flitty was average, he did well yesterday when we needed somebody to get stuck in, but his passing and shooting at times is worse than Lucas Neill's.

Ferguson particuarly, never stopped running, trying to create, tracking back. One of his better games in a Rovers shirts. Lots of spirit and fight in the team.

I thought Dickov had another decent game. Good movement to allow Ferguson to thread the ball through for the first equaliser.

Alan75 - Dickov, for me has been good for us this season. He does work hard and may not be the best striker at the moment but at times, I wonder where we might be without him.

He's scored goals, won penalties and is a constant nuisance to the opposition.

Overall a good performance. But, I'll echo what a few people have already said in that we need to turn these draws into games. Two wins all season is not good enough, even though we are producing good performances we still can't win.

With games in the second half of the season against Chelsea, Arsenal and the rest, it could be a tense battle at the bottom.

A win tomorrow would be nice biggrin.gif

Where has the belief gone from the fans?

Saw Hughes trying to get the fans going but it was lacking any sort of belief that we could win the game.

How times have changed, I thought we could have taken Newcastle in the second half but we are lacking quality in many areas. We need a left back- hopefully Spector will provide this answer. Speaking to a Man Utd fan yesterday and he thinks he is a quality player.

More importantly we need a striker as Stead is looking well out of sorts.

Edited by John

So quiet people, so quiet!

Took some friends who had never been before- they enjoyed both defences on display but could not understand why there was such a quiet home support.

Edited by John

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.