BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Boro 1 - 0 Rovers.

Was at the game, seen the highlights, I'll try to be objective.

First half we were pretty awful (think the Cardiff replay, for those lucky enough to see that) and never looked like scoring, and 1-0 at half time could have easily been more.

Second half was a lot different though, probably a case of us having a bit of battle about our play and Boro taking things a bit easier. To be honest, we didn't create a lot though. Should have had a penalty for a clear push but we know after Weds that they aren't guaranteed goals.

Overall, draw wouldn't have been outrageous, but if anyone deserved to win it wasn't Rovers.

Positives :

Nelsen very solid and seems to read things very well. For those that haven't seen him yet, cast your mind back to Henning - IMHO his style of play isn't a million miles away. No world beater, but hopefully a Mr Reliable.

Todd dependable as ever.

Savage full of beans again.

Pedersen. Maybe he's under management instruction, but he's playing nothing like I expect a winger to play. Comes inside to get the ball a lot, wins lots in the air. Hardly ever takes his defender on though.

Negatives :

Neill - I don't think he's been as bad as some of made out (I'm no expert though). But today he really wasn't very good, and being sat near a Lucas-bashing contingent gave em plenty of ammo today.

Matteo - enough said. What's Nissa done wrong?

Thommo, just rewind a couple of years and play like that please.

Others :

Bert Emerton - back to being v ordinary in the last few games after looking as though he'd overcome the demons.

Brad, performing like a mortal. Made a couple of fine saves, I reckon cos he's being asked more questions and if he makes one mistake it costs the game, he gets noticed more.

So what's the solution to all this? Well, we look pretty solid playing this formation with Mokoena just in front of the back four. That's the good news. Now need a decent partner for Dickov, whether that's one of the midfielders getting forward more or (what I'd prefer) Stead up front. Or we just have 12 on the field.

This game is easy from the stands.

Edit - USA, bench was Enckleman, Nissa, Johnson, Reid, and Flitty. Johnson came on with about 30 mins left (for Mokoena) and looked fairly lively but not threatening. And Reid came on for Thommo for about 10 mins.

Edited by Neil Weaver

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I miss Andy Cole. sad.gif

Dont we all mate,dont we all!! sad.gif

He's exactly the type of player we are lacking at the moment up front and the type of 'hero' figure our fans do desperately crave for at present.

Cracking diving header against Liverpool today,would have loved to have seen the fella still in blue'n' white and unleashed against the Dingles.......

Thanks a f'kin bunch Souness!!! mad.gif

Anyone who thinks Todd was reliable,I thought he was crap today.Nelsen made up for all the other three defenders POOR performances yesterday.

MGP,why isnt he running at anyone?His passing and vision seems good,but he isnt taking on defenders.Then again it took Emerton 18 months to take on people and he still sucks at it.

Emerton is disappointing me so so much.

Bring back Stead,keep the faith,cause 5'5 up front and another tiny back-up on the bench doesnt do much on its own!

rover.gif did not attend the game as i have cup fever,listened on the radio and it sounded poor-but we are 5 points in front off the relagation places,we were 9 points in front and have lost 3 games on the bounce 1-0.so logic says if we lose 3 more we will still be above the relegation zone.

we were stuffed 4-0 by both boro and chelski now we lose to them 1-0 is that a improvement,same points total but a goal difference off 6.we are a far better team than when sparky took over,keep the faith were on our way to cardiff tinykit.gif

rover.gif did not attend the game as i have cup fever,listened on the radio and it sounded poor-but we are 5 points in front off the relagation places,we were 9 points in front and have lost 3 games on the bounce 1-0.so logic says if we lose 3 more we will still be above the relegation zone.

we were stuffed 4-0 by both boro and chelski now we lose to them 1-0 is that a improvement,same points total but a goal difference off 6.we are a far better team than when sparky took over,keep the faith were on our way to cardiff tinykit.gif

Not sure about the Cardiff part but I really agree with you.

We are a fickle bunch. Two weeks ago, or even last weekend, everything was great at Ewood Park. Suddenly we are unlucky against Bolton and Chelsea to a certain extent, and then against Boro, though not playing very well, they weren't great either, and we are relegation fodder. When we start losing some people on here totally lose logic and reason.

It's a couple of bad results, it happens. We've yet to be played off the park, in fact, we could easily have drawn all of these matches and I think everyone would have accepted that as the fair result, and then we wouldn't have nearly so much moaning, so what is the problem?

Sure we aren't finding the net, but we've already highlighted that as a problem, do we really need to bring it up after every game? We'll sit through this season, and then in the summer we can see what the club can do to solve that problem, for now we just have to make do with what we have, so would everyone just get on with it.

It's not awful to lose 3 games in a row 1-0, especially when you consider that one of them was against a team who have only lost once all season and have torn most teams apart. I still think we haven't been horrible, and at the back we still look quite solid. Things aren't nearly as bad as half of you make out.

After yesterday's performance I think that Hughes should make a couple of changes to the side. Firstly, stop playing Dominic Matteo and bring Johansson back into the team, because he was playing so well a couple of weeks ago and playing him at left back would be a huge improvement. I think that Thompson should be dropped and bring in Tugay or Steven Reid, who will bought bring something different to the team and this could be the change that we need. We also need to play two upfront, if we are to stand any chance of scoring goals.

Pedersen. Maybe he's under management instruction, but he's playing nothing like I expect a winger to play. Comes inside to get the ball a lot, wins lots in the air. Hardly ever takes his defender on though.

I agree with you. Even though Pedersen is playing better and has scored some goals, I still don't think that he does enough going forward. He never takes his man on, doesn't get enough crosses in and comes inside alot, but never goes to shoot with his right foot. When he does have the ball, he hardly ever gives it away and he is good the in the air. But he seems to vanish for long periods of the match. I thought that we looked alot more dangerous when Reid was on the right and Emerton was on the left. Maybe Hughes should go back to this?

Edit - USA, bench was Enckleman, Nissa, Johnson, Reid, and Flitty.  Johnson came on with about 30 mins left (for Mokoena) and looked fairly lively but not threatening.  And Reid came on for Thommo for about 10 mins.

Thank you, so what was our game plan if we fell behind, no Stead, No Gally who is supposed to come on and nick a oint, or all three.

I saw one or two glimpses of the Stead/Johnson partnership to tell me there may be hope there but we can't afford to be blooding this at such a crucial time. I think we have to stick with Stead until he comes good. Leaving Gally or Johnson on the bench for when we are chasing the game.

Worriesome, very worriesome. I too have been concerned about MGP's inability to take on a player, I don't think I have actually seen him do it yet.

Edited by USABlue

Agree with you there USA. I think it is just worth saying to Stead have a few games and keep trying. Back him for 5 games, eventually he'll come good, he has too much talent not to. He just needs to get the confidence back and the touch and movement that can only come from playing.

rover.gif just seen the exstended highlights on motd and forgive me if i'm wrong but a boro player looks like he is offside stood in front of frydal when boro scored tinykit.gif

Me and Baz both saw it. Definately offside and interfering with play.

The flag should have gone up.

rover.gif just seen the exstended highlights on motd and forgive me if i'm wrong but a boro player looks like he is offside stood in front of frydal when boro scored tinykit.gif

we got extended highlights on motd, maybe hughes' message got accross, shame we've lost ever since....................Typical Rovers.

only watched the highlights guys so not a precise opinion, but from what i saw i thot neill was awful, looked like he jus cudn be bothered!!!!! the chelsea and boro goals where both his fault in my opinion????

I would play 4-4-2 at home:

Friedel

nelson Todd Mokoena Nissa

Emerton Savage Thompson MPG

Dickov Johnson/Stead

I think Tommo will come good if not, put Flitty in.

Away would have 4-1-4-1, with flitty playing in fornt of the back four (I think Mokoena was very impressive against chelsea in this role, but we need a settled back 4) and dickov or jemal up front.

only watched the highlights guys so not a precise opinion, but from what i saw i thot neill was awful, looked like he jus cudn be bothered!!!!! the chelsea and boro goals where both his fault in my opinion????

I would play 4-4-2 at home:

Friedel

nelson Todd Mokoena Nissa

Emerton Savage Thompson MPG

Dickov Johnson/Stead

I think Tommo will come good if not, put Flitty in.

Agree with you there.

Neill was at fault for the goal on Wednesday against Chelsea and yesterday at Boro.

He wasn't even anywhere near Robeen when he was on the ball and Todd had to deal with it and was beaten.

Yesterday the ball was whipped in to the box and missed everyone.

Neill had time to take a touch and get it out, he headed it and cocked it up badly giving it straight to Downing, who passed it on to Quedrue.

It's time for Neill to be dropped and Matteo who was just as bad yesterday.

Neither of them can defend or pass.

I don't like the fact that Jemal has become our second striker.. I'm desperate to see some more muscle and aerial ability up front, Dickov/Jemal doesn't give us enough of that IMO. (even though, I did not see the game yesterday..)

Stick Jansen or Stead up front with Dickov, and let Gallagher or Stead out on a three-month loan with the possibility of bringing them back if needed.

It really can't get much worse can it? We're not producing enough! While Dickov does a very good job, he's not the Beattie/Shearer-type to volley in a great goal on his first chance of the game either.. so give him a partner who can do a job in the air, that means either Stead or Jansen - and let Emerton / Gamst loose as wingers.. Mokoena/Savage in central midfield should do the defensive job, with a great pair (Nelsen/Todd) at the back!

I don't like the fact that Jemal has become our second striker.. I'm desperate to see some more muscle and aerial ability up front, Dickov/Jemal doesn't give us enough of that IMO. (even though, I did not see the game yesterday..)

Stick Jansen or Stead up front with Dickov, and let Gallagher or Stead out on a three-month loan with the possibility of bringing them back if needed.

It really can't get much worse can it? We're not producing enough! While Dickov does a very good job, he's not the Beattie/Shearer-type to volley in a great goal on his first chance of the game either.. so give him a partner who can do a job in the air, that means either Stead or Jansen - and let Emerton / Gamst loose as wingers.. Mokoena/Savage in central midfield should do the defensive job, with a great pair (Nelsen/Todd) at the back!

This sounds very reasonable, seems to be well conceived and does appear to give the side decent balance!

It's time for Neill to be dropped and Matteo who was just as bad yesterday.

Neither of them can defend or pass.

I recall wondering where the FBs were every time I saw a 'Boro attack on MOTD. Not a good sign!

Surely if there's 5 in midfield and 4 at the back there should be someone, ANYONE, out wide when we are defending!

Look on the bright side, at least in wasn't 4-0, things have improved people.

Keep the faith!

Things improved but have started to go backwards again. We lost 4-0 to a good Boro & a good Chelsea side. We have just lost 1-0 to a poor Chelsea and an even worse Boro. We have about 3 or 4 players who are well off form, we seem to have reverted to some bizarre 4-5-1 which few seem comfortable in and with Dickov up front alone is never going to result in many goals. We have a problem with goals yet in the last two matches we have had one attacking player on the bench, a young kid who has barely played in the Premiership. We have a proven scorer lacking in confidence who can't even make the bench, surely that can't help.

Watching some of the highlights was the first time this season that I have thought we looked the poorest team in the league. I have seen genuine ability in all of the teams around us but nothing to cling onto from our display on Saturday. It is too early to panic but Hughes must address the issues that were clear on Saturday. We must play 2 up front against Norwich, we have to have players playing who are on form and we have to arrange for Lucas Neill to be knee-capped. If those 3 things happen then i'm confident we can get a vital three points on Saturday.

Yeah that boro player was MILES offside, and we were denied a blatent penalty. We always get the cr@p referees, so biased against rovers! I really do not think Jemal Johnson is ready for the premiership, Hughes said Pedersen was too weak to play, if he opens his eyes he might see Jemal Johnson getting pushed all over the show! He's only young and I dont think he's ready for the premiership. But he might be more useful with a big guy upfront who can win the ball for him but I can't see Dickov being dropped because he's one of our best players!

What a load of boring crap. The 4-5-1 formation is all about damage limitation when you are at our level and there was no need to be so negative against Boro who had loads of injuries and were pretty poor as well. I cam't understand why Hughes perseveres with Neill and Mateo at full back, in my opinion neither of them is good enough.

We really needed a new striker and now we are stuck with what we have for the rest of the season it could be tough. The next 2 games are crucial to the rest of the season.

I cam't understand why Hughes perseveres with Neill and Mateo at full back, in my opinion neither of them is good enough.

What options does he have? Neill is the only realistic candidate for right back and Matteo is defensively, the best left back in the club.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.