BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] *Poll* Barry Ferguson

den

Should rovers have sold him, at this time, for £5m?  

404 members have voted

1. 1. Should rovers have sold him, at this time, for £5m?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a loaded question.

If Mark Hughes believed he could not commit to the club- yes.

If Mark Hughes believed he could commit to the club- no.

Without knowing that how can you say?

Well, that really is thew £5m question. And since I think Hughes would have be to be seriously worried about his committment, Im voting yes, we should have sold him. Decent money for a player we probably paid over the odds for in the first place (but not by as much as some are making out). I'm disappointed to lose him, but far more disappointed in the way this whole affair has panned out from day one. Neither ourselves, Rangers nor Ferguson have seriously benefited from the past 18 months. Before anyone starts, ask yourself whether Rangers would have traded in their slight profit on this deal for more success on the field in the intervening period. Ferguson has succeeded only in making himself look foolish.

Oh Good grief NO! Please stop this ludicrous poll now! Barry Ferguson has been done to death. He wasn't as good as expected, he spent most of his time on his arse and counting his money in the treatment room and now he's gone to where thousands will not even allow him to wipe his own arse. Period. So who gives a flying flerk? Stop crying over spilt milk. Just what is the frickin point of this?

Be more sense to have a poll on whether we should have this poll or not.

Edited by thenodrog

I voted, yes.

I must admit that a week ago I would have said no.

The reason I changed my mind? It became obvious that he wanted out, and that he had no will to stay and honour his contract and support his team mates.

He will be now forever known as a piker without a will to challange himself against the best club sides in the world.

You can bet you life, that when he next plays an English side (either at International or club level) he'll cop a lot of flack.

I think the money we got for Ferguson was very reasonable - it's not that which irritates me; I voted no because to let argueably our best player go at this stage of the season, without a replacement or an additional signing, on the closing day of the window is suicide and it has left us in a dangerous position.

If he knew he had another 4 months at the club then he would sure as hell have to try his best becasue, for all he knew, Rangers would not be able to come back in the summer with the same bid. Poor, poor decision by the board and a horrible way to end the transfer window.

Yes, I think that his sale was right.

It was ultimately going to happen... he didn't want to stay.

Any unhappy or unsettled player has to go eventually.

Being sold now, rather in summer, doesn't bother me very much.

The amount of money we got for him was the important factor.

I would have liked him to stick around, but that would have to have been for his whole contract.

Edited by James No. 7

I think joey hit on it. It's tough to say that we should have kept a player who wanted out, but the fact that he was not replaced, nor was the money used toward another signing, made me vote no in this poll.

I feel like we could have extracted the same price from Rangers in the summer--they desperately wanted their golden boy back, and this wouldn't have changed between now and then--and to take away a good player from a team facing a relegation struggle is never good business.

That being said, I'm glad that a player uncommitted to the cause was offloaded, and I hope that the £2 milllion garnered from the sale is put toward the purchase of a quality striker this summer.

I've voted no, but not because I wanted Ferguson to stay. Selling Ferguson when we did resulted in the worst possilble scenario from a Rovers perspective. Not only did we lose Ferguson to Rangers, but we didn't even have the time to plow the money into areas of the team which are crying out to be reinforcement (i.e. a $&%£ing striker) The management and board at Ewood have ballsed up badly in my opinion.

Can't say I'm disappointed he's gone.

Must admit to being disappointed we took such a loss.

If you cast aside his wages, as well as the 500K we'd get that is conditional, it's a 2million pound loss. It's bad, but it isn't anything like the losses on players like Grabbi and Davies. Considering the situation, I am relieved that we averted greater loss for a player who didn't want to be at the club.

Edited by Shaddy

I voted yes.

There's no point in keeping a player like Ferguson, if he's 'homesick' and wants to go. He put a transfer request in and from then on I feel there's no point in keeping him.

I'm really dissapointed in Ferguson, not because he hasn't played well for us and has shown why Souness paid a lot of money for him dry.gif , but Ferguson's attitude to the last month.

I haven't heard him once come out publically and explain his reasons. The club stuck by him when he was injured, probably the best medical care around to get him back a.s.a.p.

And Mr. Ferguson decides to go back to Rangers. Well, if you're reading enjoy the big games, there's only four. laugh.gif

The Scottish fans make out that Ferguson's a huge talent. He isn't, he hasn't proved that in the English Premier League, but I'm sure he will in the SPL.

Ferguson clinches Rangers return

Edited by roversismylife

Thats a loaded question.

If Mark Hughes believed he could not commit to the club- yes.

If Mark Hughes believed he could commit to the club- no.

Without knowing that how can you say?

I think the answer to that is Hughes did not believe he was comiited. Ferguson has basically admiited that by saying he wanted to leave and rejoin rangers as soon as he knew they wanted him.

All we were doing was holding ot for as long as we could to get as much as we could.

Not only did we lose Ferguson to Rangers, but we didn't even have the time to plow the money into areas of the team which are crying out to be reinforcement (i.e. a $&%£ing striker) The management and board at Ewood have ballsed up badly in my opinion.

The board and management most likely knew weeks ago that Ferguson was going. They knew they would get at least 3.5mil for him from Rangers. Therfore they knew they would have this to spend.

The question is what players that were avlailiable and would sign for us were there? Hughes stated he only wanted players who would command for a first team place. He didnt just want to enlarge the squad.

So what strikers were there about? Not many and even less who would join us. Simple fact of life, you cant but what isnt there.

Yes.

Pity this season we were only just beginning to get some value out of the £6.5 paid for him, but once it was clear he was blubbing for home, I think there was no way back. Rovers must have sensed that then held out for the best deal possible. We lost £2 but holding by the summer transfer period, with less time on his contract (which he wasn't likely to have extended ), he may have been worth even less (if holding out for 1 club only), and we would have paid the wages of a player who didn't want to be there, and may have been saving himself for the move.

How would his teamamtes at Ewood have reacted?

We have 2 Aussies

1 Kiwi

1 Saffer

1 Yank

and several others who ply their trade a lot further from home than wee Barry. It wouldn't have surprised me if he was "told" by one or two of the others to stop being a mard arse and get on with the job.

How would they have reacted had he stayed?

The loss of our best player with no replacement and no one in the squad who can put the ball in the net is a catylyst for relegation. Williams has screwed up big time. We need the millions out there on the pitch not in the bank.

Buying in the summer could well be too late.

The loss of our best player with no replacement and no one in the squad who can put the ball in the net is a catylyst for relegation. Williams has screwed up big time. We need the millions out there on the pitch not in the bank.

Fergsuon was not such a great player that his loss will doom us to relegation, Asgood as he may have been, his happiness at rejoining rangers shows that his eart would not have been in preventing us from being relegated.

And for the upteenth time.

WE DO NOT KNOW IF THE CLUB TRIED TO SIGN A STIKER OR NOT. WE DO NOT KNOW IF THEY HAD BIDS THAT FAILED.

remember that we are a club that traditionally keep all transfer news quiet untill the deal is done, unless the other club make it public.

It really annoys me hearing some rovers fans go on, Barry was class, At least with him when he played badly you knew he could do better, When Tugay and flitcroft play you know to expect nothing but miss placed passes and poor takles. Ok now we got savage but how long till he gets suspended then we'll look so weak. Also why sell when there's no chance what so ever to bring anyone else in??? makes me think that money won't be made available for new players.

Fergsuon was not such a great player that his loss will doom us to relegation, Asgood as he may have been, his happiness at rejoining rangers shows that his eart would not have been in preventing us from being relegated.

And for the upteenth time.

WE DO NOT KNOW IF THE CLUB TRIED TO SIGN A STIKER OR NOT. WE DO NOT KNOW IF THEY HAD BIDS THAT FAILED.

remember that we are a club that traditionally keep all transfer news quiet untill the deal is done, unless the other club make it public.

No we do not know how many times we tried to sign a striker. The point is we failed. We had half a season to look for a striker not just a month and we failed. If I had failed at work I would have been sacked.

We all know your opinion of Ferguson. You have bored us with it UMPTEEN times but you are wrong. He is a class player but without scruples. However we could have got over that loss if we had signed a goalscorer.

The money we got for him does us no good in the bank whilst we get relegated for lack of goals.

It really annoys me hearing some rovers fans go on, Barry was class, At least with him when he played badly you knew he could do better, When Tugay and flitcroft play you know to expect nothing but miss placed passes and poor takles. Ok now we got savage but how long till he gets suspended then we'll look so weak. Also why sell when there's no chance what so ever to bring anyone else in??? makes me think that money won't be made available for new players.

I think you'll probaly find that the great alimighy and wonderful Barry goets nearly as many yellows and more reds than Savage.

Barry was ok. Never as good as the amount we paid for him though. Really annoy me when fans think he was a Gerrard/Lampard and that he was v amazing

Why sell? Becuase he didnt care about Rovers and wanted out, why keep? Get what we can now. We would only have got the same this summer.

Finally, yes, when Barry played bdly you knew he could do better. Thing is he never played for us at his best. I allways felt he could do better. Now I know why, he was allways a Ranger, never a Rover.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.