BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] *Poll* Barry Ferguson

den

Should rovers have sold him, at this time, for £5m?  

404 members have voted

1. 1. Should rovers have sold him, at this time, for £5m?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what about the spitting and brick throwing passionatte ones?

Do you live your entire life drunk? Almost nothing you say makes any sense whatsoever, so I can only imagine you're drunk. The other possibility is too horrible to contemplate.

Jan you really are most annoying. Not only was that reply to Abbey uncalled for, can you really justify your support for a club when you seem to base that support on your personal opinion of a manager? Not only are you saying you supported Celtic more because you 'despised' Graeme Souness, but now you're saying you support them the same amount because you think Mark Hughes is 'lovely'!?!

Despite his later days at the club being absolute dogger, Souness also achieved a lot of postitives at Rovers. I can recall everyone saying he was the 'best manager since Kenny' and all that. He took us up, he won us a cup and got us into Europe and gave us some pride back. He probably took us as far as he could, and I can't believe you can still have the same hatred for the guy AFTER he achieved all that.

What has Souness actually done to insult you anyway? My guess is it's simply because he is one of the more successful and passionate Rangers legends, and you just can't handle that type of insult to your beloved Celtic.

Jan you really are most annoying. Not only was that reply to Abbey uncalled for, can you really justify your support for a club when you seem to base that support on your personal opinion of a manager? Not only are you saying you supported Celtic more because you 'despised' Graeme Souness, but now you're saying you support them the same amount because you think Mark Hughes is 'lovely'!?!

Despite his later days at the club being absolute dogger, Souness also achieved a lot of postitives at Rovers. I can recall everyone saying he was the 'best manager since Kenny' and all that. He took us up, he won us a cup and got us into Europe and gave us some pride back. He probably took us as far as he could, and I can't believe you can still have the same hatred for the guy AFTER he achieved all that.

What has Souness actually done to insult you anyway? My guess is it's simply because he is one of the more successful and passionate Rangers legends, and you just can't handle that type of insult to your beloved Celtic.

Read above.

Arent they? Hows about comparing a Rovers vs Burnley atmosphere and a Celtic vs Falkirk atmosphere. Which 1 of those would be the dead one, lets be more realistic with our comparisons!!

Sorry to have to point out that you picked a very bad example for your comparison there BRFC4EVA.

I have been to many Rovers v Burnley games at both grounds over many years and never have I felt literally afraid for my life. I wish I could say the same about old firm matches in Scotland, and I promise you I am not exagerating in any way at all.

Strange that you should pick on a Falkirk v Celtic game as your example, because it was at Falkirk's Brockville ground that I had my most frightening experience that I have EVER had on any football ground. I had been a casual Falkirk supporter since moving to Linlithgow in 1984, and on this particular day in about 1987/88 they were playing Celtic at Brockville. I was stood in my usual spot on the large open terracing behind the goal which normally was for the home fans. Unfortunately when any Scottish team plays either of the old firm at home the entire ground is swamped by the away (in this case Cetic) fans.As the game went on I made the big mistake of shouting in support of Falkirk, and was immediately threatened by a large group of Celtic fans who were all around me. I am not one to be easily intimidated and I could certainly use myself when necessary, but the sheer fury and hatred of what seemed to be literally dozens of Celtic fans turning on me just for daring to shout for my own team on my home ground was terrifying, and when they found out from my accent that I was English it very soon became apparent that if I did not get out of there quickly I would be in grave danger.

I moved away from there as fast as I possibly could through the dense crowd, and all the way to the exit I was being pushed and abused and laughed at by the crowd who were all Celtic fans or so it seemed. I had to leave the ground although it was only a few minutes into the first half. I found a Policeman outside and complained but he just told me to go home and forget it as that is the way of things and nothing he could do about it.

I swore then that I would never again attend any match on any ground when Celtic or Rangers were playing and I never have. Although I had a season ticket at Dunfermline for many years, I would always miss out on the old firm games which meant missing 4 or 5 games every season for each of them. But if you had experienced the poisonous and threatening atmosphere at these games you would understand. Both are bad for different reasons, but Celtic are the wost for sheer hatred of "the English" and support for the IRA which you dare not protest against.

I wouldn't FR but that's just me - I live in Wigan now, and I know its not quite the same but I would never consider going to watch them

turning your post on its head as I understand your predicament but not the reasoning in terms of 'supporting' - what would happen if these teams you secondly support played ROVERS in a meaningful or any game for that matter?

This is the million dollar question, which those such as myself can't understand - difficult for me as I have not been in the position you find yourself in so I can only summise and go with what I feel, as I suppose others who question such as yourself also do.

I have no doubt it would be the Rovers for you, however this might have something to do with me being 'old school' but I still can't get into this my 1st team is ???, my 2nd team is xx etc.

As MB posted this is what is grating about Jan - and she/he still hasn't answered what I keep asking - Rovers or Celtic?

At least you don't bang on about it

Fair enough going to watch another game etc but supporting another team?

If any of the teams I have "supported" in Scotland or in other parts of England where I have lived at various times were to play Rovers I would have been delighted and would have become a very noisy Rovers fan for the occasion. Unfortunately it never happened except once (early 50's) when I was in the Navy and Rovers played Plymouth at Home Park. For that match I stood in my usual place where I always stood for Argyle's home games and roared my head off for Rovers. I got a bit of abuse from one woman fan, but to give the rest their due they told her to shut up and "let the lad shout for his team". Neither Dunfermline nor Falkirk have ever played Rovers, but Rovers did play a few pre-season games against Hibs and Motherwell in 1992/93 seasons and I was there to support Rovers with my two sons. The game at Hibs was just as Rovers had signed Shearer and I was mightily impressed with his play that day. Obviously on these occasions we sat with the travelling Rovers fans and enjoyed the atmosphere.

FR, very interesting story, thanks for that i love hearing about football from before my time (at only 19 that is basically pre 93 ish).

The point i was trying to make with Jan is that obviously the Rangers vs Celtic game is going to have a incredible atmosphere, and so to try to compare this to run of the mill Rovers matches is slightly unfair! So i tried to turn it around and compare Rovers vs Burnley and a Celtic run of the mill match so i chose (and at home mind you B) ) Falkirk!

Edited by BRFC4EVA

IHB...."What has Souness actually done to insult you anyway?

Turned a then faltering Rangers around?

Made them once again the powerbase in Sconny Botland (for a time)?

Sent them on their way to 10 titles in a row?

Beat Celtic on a regular basis whilst at the helm?

...& as for sectarianism, was Souness not the first Rangers manager to sign a catholic, Mo Johnston? :huh:

FR, very interesting story, thanks for that i love hearing about football from before my time (at only 19 that is basically pre 93 ish).

The point i was trying to make with Jan is that obviously the Rangers vs Celtic game is going to have a incredible atmosphere, and so to try to compare this to run of the mill Rovers matches is slightly unfair! So i tried to turn it around and compare Rovers vs Burnley and a Celtic run of the mill match so i chose (and at home mind you B) ) Falkirk!

No prob BRFC4EVA! The difficulty with your finding a "Run of the mill" Celtic v (anybody) match is that from an atmosphere point of view there aren't any! Every game involving Celtic or Rangers, home or away, the atmosphere is the same; vitriolic! Puts me in mind of the Roman Coliseum at a gladiator contest, or Christians v Lions contest. That is why I refuse to be present at any of these matches.

Edited by Fife Rover

Strange, the worst atmospheres I've experienced at SPL games have always been in the East Stand at Fir Park (Motherwell), having been to Parkhead and Ibrox several times. It all depends which element of any given support you're sitting among.

Edited by Radagast

Strange, the worst atmospheres I've experienced at SPL games have always been in the East Stand at Fir Park (Motherwell), having been to Parkhead and Ibrox several times. It all depends which element of any given support you're sitting among.

Maybe they have had to cool it in recent years; I wouldn't know as I have not been near any match involving Celtic or Rangers since the mid-80's. Also while we are on the subject of atmosphere at Motherwell, I was at the pre-season friendly Motherwell v Rovers in Aug '93 (I think) and sitting among the Rovers fans that day the only atmoshere came from the Rovers fans. I thought the Motherwell fans were all from the local cemetary!

Edited by Fife Rover

Do you live your entire life drunk? Almost nothing you say makes any sense whatsoever, so I can only imagine you're drunk. The other possibility is too horrible to contemplate.

[/quoteYOU FLAMING STUPID CRETINOUS ..BIG HEADED SLAPPER ......WHATS WRONG WITH MY QUESTION ,OK SO MY SPELLING IS @#/? SO WHAT ...GET YOUR HEAD FROM OUT YOUR FAT ARSE AND SHOVE A CACTUS UP IT SIDEWAYS....AINT HAD A DRINK SINCE SUNDAY BUTWHAT THE HELL THAT HAS TO DO WITH YOU IVE NO IDEA.........

ANSWER THE QUESTION ABOUT THE SPITTERS AND BRICK THROWERS!!!!

LOL . I think this deserves an answer Abbey ..... :)

SHES GOT ONE ...WHAT ITS GOT TO DO WITH HER HOW I LIVE MY LIFE BAFFELS ME ...HIC HIC

Jan you really are most annoying. Not only was that reply to Abbey uncalled for, can you really justify your support for a club when you seem to base that support on your personal opinion of a manager? .

EXACTLY ...SHE CANT REPLY ON HOW PASSION INVOLVES THROWING BRICKS AND GETTING THREATED FOR WEARING A BLUE SWEATSHIRT....

BUT HEY WE CANT ALL BE THE ALMIGHTY AS SHE THINKS SHE IS..

Edited by ABBEY

I was at the pre-season friendly Motherwell v Rovers in Aug '93 (I think) and sitting among the Rovers fans that day the only atmoshere came from the Rovers fans. I thought the Motherwell fans were all from the local cemetary!

Where you in that Jack Daniels (?) pub before the game - the one where the Celtic fans came in.

The game at Hibs was just as Rovers had signed Shearer and I was mightily impressed with his play that day.

Strange .... from my memories of the game he looked 'lost'. It all clicked for him at West Brom though the following Saturday, in another pre-season game, when he scored his first Rovers 'wonder goal'.

Where you in that Jack Daniels (?) pub before the game - the one where the Celtic fans came in.

No 'fraid not Capt. Just drove over from Fife and dropped the wife and Daughter-in-Law in the town centre shops then my son and I went straight to the ground where we found a fairly large group of Rovers fans queuing to get in and having a friendly banter with the local Plods. So we joined them.

Oh, and he reinstated Darren Peacock in his first game as manager "because he'd heard of him" rather than waiting until he'd seen the team play. That was indicative of how I knew he'd be as a manager.

What the bloody hell are you talking about? You seem to hold on to the pettiest grudges of all time.

He'd just taken over a team that was in a fair bit of disarray... he needed to evaluate his squad, especially senior members. What else would you have him do?

I'm glad he evaluated Peacock early doors, and saw fit to get rid, rather than have him be in the squad weighing us down. Souness did a good job of clearing out the dead-wood at the start of his management spell.

Edited by Shaddy

Strange .... from my memories of the game he looked 'lost'. It all clicked for him at West Brom though the following Saturday, in another pre-season game, when he scored his first Rovers 'wonder goal'.

You could well be right about that EW; the memory plays tricks on you when you get to my age. What is more likely is that I was suffering from a severe bout of "Rovers Starvation" and any sighting of a Rovers team would have looked superb to me at the time. I really did enjoy the game though, and so did my sons. I seem to remember Wegerle having a good game as well, but that too may be just down to my never having seen him before.

No 'fraid not Capt. Just drove over from Fife and dropped the wife and Daughter-in-Law in the town centre shops then my son and I went straight to the ground where we found a fairly large group of Rovers fans queuing to get in and having a friendly banter with the local Plods. So we joined them.

Twas a good day (except for the match) - looks like our paths might have crossed

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.