BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Semi Final

doowe

On that page there in the bottom left corner, there's a bit where it's advertising rooms for the weekend of the semi's for around £85 if I remember, with a contact number.

This is a trip being run through the Lancashire Evening Telegraph with a hotel booked in SWINDON. They will though take you in by coach to the ground and back out again to the hotel

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Wembley semi final debate (debacle?) was started in 1993 by the city of Sheffield. As both United and Wednesday were in the semi's they were clamouring for a suitable arena to hold all their fans. Unfortunately for football Arsenal were playing Spurs in the other semi. They argued that the only suitable destination for them was Wembley, which was agreed and the tie was set to be played there. Cue mass outrage from the Tykes. They wanted to be treated the same/ not let the opposition get an unfair advantage by playing an extra game there. So the FA buckled and let the tie go ahead. Was Old Trafford not suitable for the city of Sheffield? This then seemed to become an overnight tradition which maybe would never have happened if we had played well in the 6th round against the Blades at Ewood, not to mention the replay. I do remember that they kicked up a fuss about ticket allocation then too.

We have been left up the creek by the Government here if this "personal" letter is to be believed. The colossal cost of Wembley is a burden to all football fans. For the supposed price they should have heated/padded seats. I'm still mad about the whole thing and hope that Man U, Newcastle, and the South Wales Police keep up thir protests. We are happy to be there and will enjoy it, plus we don't have the weight, who would listen to us?

Streakyb, the FA are responsible for the Premier League too and are getting the royal shaft. If they took the same grass roots approach with the far larger amount of money it has, the game would be in a healthier state but the "big clubs" have got together and told the Premier league to F off. Anyway that is another thread.

The Wembley semi final debate (debacle?) was started in 1993 by the city of Sheffield. As both United and Wednesday were in the semi's they were clamouring for a suitable arena to hold all their fans. Unfortunately for football Arsenal were playing Spurs in the other semi.

To be fair to the City of Sheffield Speeeeeeedie...they had a precedent before that year. In 1991 Spurs and Arsenal had also played their semi-final at Wembley and it was such a cracking game (Paul Gascoigne scoring probably his most famous club goal with an awesome free-kick) that it lead to other big games being used there in the future. Once the FA had caved in once about playing the semis at Wembley they had to do it again and again....with a grin on their face of course thanks to the extra revenue.

Copy of email sent to the club and to the Competitions Manager at the FA, for what its worth.....

Dear Mr Clark

RE – Arrangements for FA Cup Semi Finals. 16/17 April 2005

I write to you not only as a Blackburn Rovers season ticket holder, but on behalf of many fans of the four clubs who have reached the semi finals of the worlds Premier cup competition.

Recent reports have indicated that one of the matches will kick off at 12noon on Saturday 16 April 2005.Whilst I accept the official line is that no decision has yet been made this does appear to a repeated rumour.

I write to implore you to reconsider this decision. If this match is indeed ourselves vs Arsenal it will have a severe impact on fans from both clubs transport arrangements. In order to arrive in Cardiff from Blackburn prior to 12 o clock, there is one train from Blackburn. That departs Blackburn at 7am and via 2 changes, arrives in Cardiff at 11.51. a mere 9 minutes prior to kick off. If the game selected is the Newcastle vs Manchester United match, this will have a bigger impact on my fellow football fans from the North East as well as those from Manchester. The logistics of 140,000 travelling fans arriving in Cardiff from distance was never going to be easy however a 12 o clock kick off time would made travelling from the North of England especially difficult and dangerous

I fully accept that the decision to hold these matches at the Millenium Stadium was made prior to knowing which teams would be playing in them, but as around three quarters of the 140,000 people or so have to travel in excess of 200 miles to reach the venue I believe it would be in the best interests of travelling fans, and the game of football itself, for those fans to be able to reach the matches in safety, without fear of missing kick off.

On behalf of football fans across the country I urge you to consider the arrangements for this game with some consideration for us.

Many Thanks in advance

stuwilky (not really!)

Season Ticket Holder

Blackburn Rovers FC

Copy

Tom Finn, Secretary, Blackburn Rovers

Had a reply from Tom Finn regarding the above....doesnt look good folks....

Dear Stuart

Thanks for sending me a copy of your letter to Steve Clark.

We have registered our opposition to a 12.00/12.15 kick off but I fear the worst. You are quite right in all you say , its as if the Police/FA have only just realised that having 4 sets of fans in Cardiff in Saturday night could cause problems. I suspect Cardiff and the Police agreed to the kick off times initially as they wanted the matches at the Millenium & I think we have to accept that it is now too late for the FA to backtrack on the venues.

The Police's opposition to a 5.15pm kick off will be based on the trouble at Everton and Southampton in the previous rounds and it is very difficult for clubs to publicly oppose decisions made in the interests of fan safety and security.

Its really disappointing that this debate is likely to overshadow our first FA Cup semi final appearance for 45 years. We will nevertheless be encouraging all our supporters to travel, the team needs their support.

I suppose we should be cheering on Olympiakos tonight as an aggregate victory for them will see our match being played on a Sunday with a later kick off time!

Regards

Tom Finn

Streakyb, the FA are responsible for the Premier League too and are getting the royal shaft.

From the EPL site

The FA Premier League is owned by 20 Shareholders - the member clubs, whose membership in the league is dependent on the performance of their football team in the Barclays Premiership.

The shareholders meet quarterly. Any shareholder can table a motion to be discussed at the meeting. Each shareholder is entitled to one vote and all rule changes and major commercial contracts require the support of two thirds of the clubs voting at a general meeting.

The Football Association is also a special shareholder. They have the right of veto in certain crucial areas, such as the appointment of Chairman and Chief Executive and promotion and relegation, but have no say on other areas of FA Premier League work.

It is in the main a separate entity to the FA, owned by the clubs.

its aims

The FA Premier League must:

Manage, continually improve and be regarded as the world’s best league football competition - on and off the field.

Increase interest in our competitions, promote accessibility to live games and ensure that media exposure is used to optimum effect.

Generate increased commercial value, using the resulting revenues to further enhance our competitions and strengthen the long-term future of the FA Premier League and its clubs.

Use our power and influence responsibly to improve the game in this country and abroad through partnership with the FA, UEFA and other bodies.

Create a quality of competition that provides a platform from which our member clubs can achieve unparalleled success in European or World competitions.

Use our resources to develop playing talent that will provide for international success with the England team at all levels - with the status of World Champions being the realistic goal.

In other words it aims is to make as much money as it cans for its 20 shareholders.

But as you say, this is for another thread

We are happy to be there and will enjoy it, plus we don't have the weight, who would listen to us?

Ah speeeeeedie...

That's why I took the liberty of contacting the IMUSA - just waiting to see if they reply at the moment.

Anyway gave them a link to here

Great letter from Tom Finn.

Yep and very good of him to reply

However, as I have said to StuW on PM I get the feeling Rovers have given in already

think we have to accept that it is now too late for the FA to backtrack on the venues.
mad.gifsad.gif

However, as I have said to StuW on PM I get the feeling Rovers have given in already

Caved in? Be fair...there is nothing Rovers can do about this. It is the FA Cup and it is ultimately up to the FA where and when it stages the game.

Who said anything about caving in?

Think I am being fair just referring to fact that why attend a meeting FFS if there is nothing they can do?

If Rovers don't feel they can do anything - why should the fans consider turning up at 12 and probably having to set off at ridiculous times and have to consider more expensive options of travel.

Tom Finn's letter - that's why our club is great. Excellent stuff from him. smile.gif

Looks a nailed on certainty to me that we are looking at 12.00 Saturday unless Olympiacos can do the business on Thursday night. sad.gif

Cardiff is going to look pretty bedraggled after the semi-final weekend. Glad I don't live there.

caved in... given in... means the same whichever way. It's just different words for the same meaning. Im not trying to twist your words there Capt.

I'm sure Rovers will give their opinion on what is best for the fans and wish they could change things but it is up to the FA. If they say noon at Cardiff then noon at Cardiff it is. Besides...they probably get paid a nice hourly wage to attend the meeting. Decent buffet etc... if I was one of those Rovers employees attending I'd ask for some take-out too... wink.gif

The point is this is not down to Rovers. It's the FA Cup and it's the FA who decides. What can Rovers do? Withdraw from the competition if they don't like the time?

As for why Rovers fans should go...because they are dying to. Even if we get to the final I can't manage to go and see Rovers this season, mind you I can make the Charity Shield if we got there! Twenty years supporting Rovers and as soon as I leave we get Burnley in the cup and a semi-bloody-final. I'd go if it kicked off at noon. I'd be annoyed just the same as you, damn annoyed...but, the powers that be know that the hardcore of fans (at the very,very least) will be there. Same as always.

They'll be there in the coming years as well...shouldering yet more season ticket price hikes.

It's an addictive drug is football. Expensive one an' all.

caved in... given in... means the same whichever way. It's just different words for the same meaning. Im not trying to twist your words there Capt.

I'm sure Rovers will give their opinion on what is best for the fans and wish they could change things but it is up to the FA. If they say noon at Cardiff then noon at Cardiff it is. Besides...they probably get paid a nice hourly wage to attend the meeting. Decent buffet etc... if I was one of those Rovers employees attending I'd ask for some take-out too... wink.gif

The point is this is not down to Rovers. It's the FA Cup and it's the FA who decides. What can Rovers do? Withdraw from the competition if they don't like the time?

As for why Rovers fans should go...because they are dying to. Even if we get to the final I can't manage to go and see Rovers this season, mind you I can make the Charity Shield if we got there! Twenty years supporting Rovers and as soon as I leave we get Burnley in the cup and a semi-bloody-final. I'd go if it kicked off at noon. I'd be annoyed just the same as you, damn annoyed...but, the powers that be know that the hardcore of fans (at the very,very least) will be there. Same as always.

They'll be there in the coming years as well...shouldering yet more season ticket price hikes.

It's an addictive drug is football. Expensive one an' all.

Yep understand the cave bit just interpeted differently ... whoops

Still ll bureaucratic nonsense at the end of the day though - although I do agree with your comments thumbs-up.gif

Its that galling fact though that the FA have us over a barrel - problem is I am seriously considering not going should it be a 12 noon kick off - and I don't think I will be the only one.

Tom Finn's letter - that's why our club is great. Excellent stuff from him. smile.gif

Looks a nailed on certainty to me that we are looking at 12.00 Saturday unless Olympiacos can do the business on Thursday night. sad.gif

Cardiff is going to look pretty bedraggled after the semi-final weekend. Glad I don't live there.

They are playing tonight.

So we will know, albeit unofficially that we are playing on the Saturday if Newcastle win tonight.

Its just the time to be decided (confirmed). I dont even know if I can get to a 12noon kick off, i got a bad feeling that I cant! mad.gif

Strange is it not, that all the talk of our Day/KO time is based around wheather Newcastle get through to the next round of the UEFA Cup, where the tie will be played on the previous Thursday to the semi finals.

Are they not playing this leg tonight WEDNESDAY, so why the hell can UEFA not play the next round on the Wednesday also?

Just a thought, but too logical I suppose!

They can't have live football on when other fixtures are on at 3pm Saturday. Hence the 12.45 and 5.15 kick offs come from.

I thought the restriction applied only to Premiership matches?

They can't have live football on when other fixtures are on at 3pm Saturday.  Hence the 12.45 and 5.15 kick offs come from.

I thought the restriction applied only to Premiership matches?

No, its live football. Apparently its a UEFA regulation, but I cant verify that.