BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Semi Final

doowe

A lunchtime start would solve ALL my problems about going.  Yay the FA!

Im afraid that you would be very much in a minority Jan.

For those of us who wont use Rovers Transport and prefer to make our own way there there is the grand total of 1 (ONE) train from Blackburn that is due to arrive in Cardiff prior to kick off.

That train also goes round the house.

Blackburn 0700 to Bolton

Bolton 0804 to Manc Picc

Manc Picc to Cardiff Central - arrives 1151.

Yes, a whole NINE Minutes before Kick off.

I shall post my correspondence on here when it is composed.

Stu, you should email the club before they meet on Thursday.

Stu has already emailed the club, and the competitions manager at the FA. I could have course post his email address on here, but I am not sure how ethically correct that would be.

The club have some influence but not much.

The fact that fans are going to be either

a) crammed onto one train on the next to worthless UK rail network

cool.gif rushing down the M6/M5 and M4 to try and get there before kick off

c) Christ knows what else.

There is a huge safety problem with that proposal, I am more than aware that the FA havnt confirmed anything, but the club do have some sway over this. I mean lets face it over 100000 people have to travel over 200 miles for a game of football, what a swizz!!! It would surely be better for us v Arsenal to be at Old Trafford. Its the same distance for Arsenal fans, the accomodation being booked up doesnt rear its ugly head like in CArdiff, and the precious police force wont have 4 sets of angry fans in Cardiff at the same time.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That e-mail from the FA makes FA-sense to me.

If crowds and travel has been a concern when Villa Park and Old Trafford have been used (and don't forget OT is almost same size as Millennium Stadium) for which club has this been for?

Surely it is less of a concern for Rovers and Arsenal fans if it were in Birmingham.

Clearly the bottom-line is to get as many bodies through the turnstiles as possible and stuff whether they support the clubs taking part or not. Same as for the kick-off times, maximise the telly audience.

Sad really, they may as well take a hairy dump in the Cup, for all the respect they're showing it.

You've surprised me Jan. I thought you were going to be angry and blame Souness for the early kick off and the semis being in Cardiff  .

(Just a joke)

No it's the 5.15 kick-off on Saturday that's Souness' fault, Everybody cheer on Olympiakos for me- or I may be forced into hiring a helicpoter to get back to London and I don't think even that would do it on time!!!!!

If the game is a kick off at 12pm it's going to be one hell of a struggle for all fans, both us and Arsenal, especially Arsenal.

What time do they bloody expect us to get there?

It's a joke, the FA taking the p*** again.

Why didn't they make it a lot easier in playing the semi's somewhere else.

mad.gif

It takes 3 1/2 hours from North London if it's reasonably ok. Add a couple for traffic and it's still a reasonable start.

but not from the North West, its an absolute nightmare. Both driving and by public transport. It has "disaster" written all over it.

brfcs.com just did Talksport and we have tried to give a consensus view:

1. Happy to go to Cardiff but the general feeling is the semis should be at league grounds but that it won't happen this year.

2. We won't be boycotting the game - except Scotty laugh.gif

3. We will be taking 25000 - I hope - and this is a good turnout from a town with a population of 140,000.

Copy of email sent to the club and to the Competitions Manager at the FA, for what its worth.....

Dear Mr Clark

RE – Arrangements for FA Cup Semi Finals. 16/17 April 2005

I write to you not only as a Blackburn Rovers season ticket holder, but on behalf of many fans of the four clubs who have reached the semi finals of the worlds Premier cup competition.

Recent reports have indicated that one of the matches will kick off at 12noon on Saturday 16 April 2005.Whilst I accept the official line is that no decision has yet been made this does appear to a repeated rumour.

I write to implore you to reconsider this decision. If this match is indeed ourselves vs Arsenal it will have a severe impact on fans from both clubs transport arrangements. In order to arrive in Cardiff from Blackburn prior to 12 o clock, there is one train from Blackburn. That departs Blackburn at 7am and via 2 changes, arrives in Cardiff at 11.51. a mere 9 minutes prior to kick off. If the game selected is the Newcastle vs Manchester United match, this will have a bigger impact on my fellow football fans from the North East as well as those from Manchester. The logistics of 140,000 travelling fans arriving in Cardiff from distance was never going to be easy however a 12 o clock kick off time would made travelling from the North of England especially difficult and dangerous

I fully accept that the decision to hold these matches at the Millenium Stadium was made prior to knowing which teams would be playing in them, but as around three quarters of the 140,000 people or so have to travel in excess of 200 miles to reach the venue I believe it would be in the best interests of travelling fans, and the game of football itself, for those fans to be able to reach the matches in safety, without fear of missing kick off.

On behalf of football fans across the country I urge you to consider the arrangements for this game with some consideration for us.

Many Thanks in advance

stuwilky (not really!)

Season Ticket Holder

Blackburn Rovers FC

Copy

Tom Finn, Secretary, Blackburn Rovers

brfcs.com just did Talksport and we have tried to give a consensus view:

1. Happy to go to Cardiff but the general feeling is the semis should be at league grounds but that it won't happen this year.

2. We won't be boycotting the game - except Scotty laugh.gif

3. We will be taking 25000 - I hope - and this is a good turnout from a town with a population of 140,000.

Hi Paul

Did the concerns get raised?

Point about the FA not acting in the Interest of the fans etc

Boycotting not the word - cost and chance is the game - do we risk or do we not and hope we get through?

The thing that irritates me is the crap they keep replying with about how it's for the fans. Cardiff holds 6k more than Old Trafford so why do they keep harping back to this 30000 people will get to see it nonsense. There won't be 60,000 there for our game it will be more like 40,000 and that's before they move it to the ridicuous 12.00. It's just lies by an incomptent organisation that is ruining our national game.

I only got ten minutes warning of going on air. The main thrust was to see if we would boycott the match. The issues weren't raised - that's not headline stuff is it? Once I'd made it clear we are happy to be going but would prefer a neutral ground they switched to the rumour that Arsenal and Rovers only want 45000 tickets. I had to say I only knew that from the radio. Then got asked how many we would take. After saying 25000 I got stick about that and the size of our crowd so i had to do the town club, % of population bit. Questioned how many people are there in London, Manchester, Newcastle. I think the guy is an Arsenal fan - was it Tom Watt from eastenders? So we moved on!

What they wanted was "Yes we are going to boycott the game" and I can't give them that as it isn't true.

Suggested a crowd of 45000 would tell the FA the semis should be played at a neutral ground etc.

Hope I did OK for the club.

The more I hear about these cup semi's the more mad I get. I hope this boycott talk heats up. No doubt the press will be all over it and the FA may wilt. I seriously doubt that fans will actually go through with it but a bit of grass roots activism would be welcome in this situation.

I'm glad that Paul raised the issue that we want a neutral ground, and the purported 45000 only should also help this. Villa Park is perfect for both teams. A decent sized ground half way between the two. Old Trafford would get Arsenal's backs up. Elland Road is perfect for the other tie.

To add to the train times; seeing as the only train from Blackburn goes through Picadilly, how many Manc's will get on it? Get to Cardiff for an all dayer watching the semi in a nice pub, soaking up the atmosphere.

We need to keep harrassing the media/authorities to see what we can do. Are there any other boards/supporters associations on this too? It would be nice to hear from them.

The more I hear about these cup semi's the more mad I get. I hope this boycott talk heats up. No doubt the press will be all over it and the FA may wilt. I seriously doubt that fans will actually go through with it but a bit of grass roots activism would be welcome in this situation.

I'm glad that Paul raised the issue that we want a neutral ground, and the purported 45000 only should also help this. Villa Park is perfect for both teams. A decent sized ground half way between the two. Old Trafford would get Arsenal's backs up. Elland Road is perfect for the other tie.

To add to the train times; seeing as the only train from Blackburn goes through Picadilly, how many Manc's will get on it? Get to Cardiff for an all dayer watching the semi in a nice pub, soaking up the atmosphere.

We need to keep harrassing the media/authorities to see what we can do. Are there any other boards/supporters associations on this too? It would be nice to hear from them.

speeeeeeedie

I have posted on Boards for the other 3 to see what sort of reaction

Have registered for the Red Issue but not had confirmation for Access yet

The IMUSA are cetainly taking issue with it but for teams like MU and Newcastle for those that don't go there will be others who take their place - unlike us, as with what we have seen at home if somebody doesn't go its very unlikely we will have the numbers to fill the places. MU have the numbers regardless and Newcastle being geordies will just go anyway

Arsenals fans would appear to be more peeved now with all the mention of the 12 noon kick off

Probally been mentioned at some point in this topic but:

the millenium stadium website has the games as

Semi 1: 17:15GMT and Semi 2: 16:15GMT.

Just hope it isn't noon kick off, that would be way to early! blink.gif

That was the original plan modes.

However the rumour is ( and in reality that is all the 12 Saturday kick off is) that South Wales police have belatedly chirped up that they dont want 4 sets of fans in cardiff on the same night (ie after the first tie). im not sure how the situation is any different now to when it was first mooted around a year ago, but thats the very unofficial line.

If the game is a kick off at 12pm it's going to be one hell of a struggle for all fans, both us and Arsenal, especially Arsenal.

How they can just go straight along the M4 - you on the other hand have to do M6/M5 and then either the M4 or go down the M50.

Also look what I got back from the FA

Dear Supporter,

Many thanks for contacting The Football Association.

We appreciate there are arguments for and against any venue we use for the

semi-finals in terms of capacity, accessibility, neutrality and location.

Over the last few years the decision on semi-final venues has consistently

attracted criticism, even though these are the ones now being touted in

many of your e-mails as the preferred venues (Villa Park and Old Trafford)

Travel time to and from games has been a major cause of complaint for

both these venues so it is not something that is exclusive to the

Millennium Stadium.

We based our decision on the following;

-With a capacity of 74,525, it is significantly larger than both Villa

Park (42,602) and Old Trafford (68,210) which have hosted the Semi-Finals

in recent years.

-The Millennium Stadium and Cardiff's ability to stage games of this size.

Cardiff has also proved to be a very popular venue for fans in the past

-Revenue generated due to the fact that at least 30,000 extra fans will be

able to attend these games. It's an unavoidable fact that as the major

funding body in football we have a responsibility to the long term future

of the game, this future needs funding. What should be highlighted is that

The FA is a not for profit organisation and has invested over £150 million

in grass roots football over the last three years.

We appreciate that like the Millennium Stadium, there are arguments for

any of the venues mentioned in the e-mails fans have sent through.

Nevertheless, the decisions on venues always attract criticism from

certain quarters as it's impossible to pick a venue that perfectly matches

the needs of the various stakeholders in an FA Cup Semi-Final.

We fully appreciate your comments and your concerns and these will be

circulated to the relevant decision makers in this organisation. Thank

you for taking the time to write.

Yours sincerely,

Jonathan Arana

Senior Customer Relations Manager

The FA

Look familiar - me thinks someone's produced a form letter

It's an unavoidable fact that as the major

funding body in football we have a responsibility to the long term future of the game,

But what they need to understand is that unless they stop treating the real fans with such contempt then there is no long term future of the game.

The fact is it is a money spinner for the FA and they don't give a stuff about the rest of us. The more I think about this the more angry it makes me feel and is certainly putting a dampener on the first semi-final that Rovers have appeared in in my 30-odd years as a fan.