BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Semi Final

doowe

not necessarily are they not playing their second leg on Wednesday this time ?

If they are, it contradicts with the UEFA website that states 14th April.

That's not to say they won't change it in the coming days though.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We knew we were gonna draw a big gun before todays draw. I am not bothered although glad I suppose to avoid the real red scum.

The only thing that irks me with the draw is the fact that Trevor was the only one drawing the balls. IMO this does not make it a fair draw for the fans. They should have had two persons making that draw, okay, granted there are only 4 balls to pull but it would take away the suspicion of a fixed draw !

Anyhow anyone sacrifice 3 points on Saturday for a place in the FA Cup final ?

rolleyes.gif

Edited by 1864roverite

I now see us as either being totally ripped apart or sneaking it. If Arsenal are on form we don't stand a chance, if they aren't then our tight defense and work ethic could see us through. We are now more suited for games we aren't supposed to be on top of, so who knows.

The thing is a month is a long time and a lot can change. Form, suspensions, injuries could all change how we feel going into the game, hopefully it will work in our favour, but are we that lucky?

Arsenal it is then.

I wasn't bothered who we were going to get drawn, you've got to beat whoever you've been drawn against.

Be interesting to see the build up to Saturday's game, the first thing that crossed my mind when we were drawn was to get The Axe playing on Saturday!

Going to be a great occasion. Everyone is going to expect Arsenal to win, which doesn't bother me in the slightest. If we can have every player playing to his potential, knock them about, there's no reason why we can't have a chance.

Can't wait.

Some pointers: Rovers have played Arsenal five times before in the FA Cup. They lead 3-2. We played them on the way to winnin g the Cup in 1928.

Four of the all time most successful FA Cup sides are in the semi-final. For Man U and Arsenal, most of those successe have come in the last thirty years or so. Rovers and Newcastle have to go back over 50 years.

Been looking at the Arsenal web sites- they are reasonably confident but see us as the "dreaded" Blackburn Rovers. We have got a pretty good record against them in recent seasons.

Well,

I've done my bit for what its worth - just mailed the FA

"FA CUP SEMI FINALS  16/17 APRIL 2005 - CARDIFF MILLENIUM STADIUM.

And here's the reply the FA would give if they were actually being honest...

Dear CAPTAIN KAYOS,

Thank you very much for your e-mail. You are absolutely right that consideration for the supporters is the last thing in on our mind.

Why should the supporters be a priority?

We have taken the decision after it became clear that 75,000 fans at the Millenium Stadium would bring in significantly more revenue for us. The four clubs take 65% of the money, and the FA takes a large chunk of the rest.

To hold the Newcastle/Manchester United game at the City Of Manchester Stadium, for example, which holds 48,000, and the Rovers/Arsenal game at Villa Park - which holds 42,000 and is a more central location between Blackburn and Arsenal - would not have brought us enough revenue.

You're absolutely right that playing the games in Cardiff will lead to increased congestion and strains on the public transport system. But we don't really care about that. It's not our problem.

You're right as well that we can change kick-off times, venues and dates whenever it suits us. We usually do that with little consideration for the supporters. On this occasion, it suits the FA to hold both games in the Millenium Stadium.

We couldn't care less about FA Cup tradition and the fact that semi-finals should be held on a neutral English venue which is different from the final.

Our only consideration is ourselves.

I'm sure you'll be aware that the FA has a large amount of expenditure. There's Sven's £4m a year wages. Brain Barwick, the FA Chief Executive also earns a lucrative salary.

Then there's the hospitality, champagne and smoked salmon sandwiches that we require for dining guests in London and the luxury first class air travel that we need for foreign trips abroad. (Usually staying at five star hotels.)

I'm sure you'll appreciate CAPTAIN KAYOS that all this costs money. The fact that we can boost our coffers by holding the semi-finals at Cardiff suits the FA perfectly.

We don't give a damn about supporters. But thank you for your e-mail anyway.

Yours,

THE FA.

Exactly what I think they will reply AESF wink.gif

Coming around to it - it was a bit off the cuff even though I have had the feelings ever since they had the first semis at Wembley - as with most things you tend not to do anything until it affects you directly.

At least if I'm not the only one it might jerk the jerks to think about future semi's.

Here's hoping

Anyway roll on the Arse ....

the very best of luck for your semi, i really hope you stuff the gooners and would love a nufc v rovers final!!

from a selfish point of view a shearer winner with his last kick in football to break Wor Jackies record would be the stuff dreams are made of, well as i said best of luck and STUFF THEM!

and lets make it great weekend

oh any chance of a lift to the final! wink.gif

the very best of luck for your semi, i really hope you stuff the gooners and would love a nufc v rovers final!!

from a selfish point of view a shearer winner with his last kick in football to break Wor Jackies record would be the stuff dreams are made of, well as i said best of luck and STUFF THEM!

paddyk - What's your opinion of the Semi's being at Cardiff?

I'm quite happy with the draw. I think Arsenal are beatable at the moment, and it's the FA Cup - anything can happen. As mentioned I think Arsenal will struggle with our style of play, and we havea pretty good chance to go through, atleast higher than if we had drawn the other two.

This is the FA's official line with regards to why the semi-finals are at Cardiff this season and then at the new Wembley Stadium each season after - Click me. mad.gif

Another BBC link detailing the top 10 clubs in the FA Cup's history - here - makes good reading for Rovers fans. smile.gif

Phlilipl

Is there an Arsenal supporters website where the standard of commentary is similar to here?

I don't think I could face wading through pages of adolescent ramblings, but I'd be quite interested to read some half-intelligent opinions from Arsenal supporters.

I use this site - Football fanzines

or

This one - Fanbase

Well,

We couldn't care less about FA Cup tradition and the fact that semi-finals should be held on a neutral English venue which is different from the final.

[\QUOTE]

Not strictly true. The draw used to be a straight home or away draw like the other rounds are today. [/PEDANTIC MODE] wink.gif

shearer would have to score 15-20 goals to equal jackie milburns record, thats one of the reasons people believe shearer might play on beyond this season

Excellent Cheers

We won last time that we played a cup game in the Millenium Stadium and I was there.

Maybe we should run a vote

Would you go to Cardiff

Should Flopsy go to Cardiff

Will Flopsy get home before Monday if a Sunday game?

Is there going to be fighting in the streets of Cardiff Saturday night?

How many "Fans" will crawl out of the woodwork not to be seen until the next game at the Millenium Stadium (in May).

If YOU Dont go american and we lose - maybe its your fault

Things got going in the second half, when we put Stead on and played 4-4-2, and the game opened up. It is a dilemma as our attack is pretty duff whoever plays, and whichever formation is used. I think we should start the semi with the 4-5-1, with Savage and Mokoena kicking the ____ out of Ljungberg, Reyes and co. when the ref's not looking. That will get them all angry, which will make them far less effective, and more likely to get sent off. Cynical, unpleasant, but effective.

Yes pal her indoors 40th, delays the travel to Cardiff by about 5 hours.

She dont know about it and when the party is over I will just have to break it gently that the bus leaves leyland at around 0200 hrs, just enough time for a curry at the Viceroy !!

Your welcome to go with beswick if you like tinykit.gif

Break it gently? I'd have to tell her with a tin hat on [on me]. What do you intend to do about sleep? You know how to treat your woman well. biggrin.gif

BTW, thanks for the invite, but at the moment, we're booked in a hotel in Cardiff on the Friday and Saturday nights. thumbs-up.gif

Paul's dog sitting for me. biggrin.gif