Mark Hughes rates him as a player

Mark Hughes appreciates his versatility

Mark Hughes appreciates his leadership capabilities

Mark Hughes will miss him

Also it seems that

Benitez rates him

Curbishley rates him

etc

All the above confirms my own thoughts that he is a highly effective player, very rarely injured and one much underestimated

Also he has shown a great deal of professionalism these last few months when all he seems to be doing is playing the system.

Let's get this settled.... Lucas is highly over-rated, particularly by the Oz football scribes.

Fair enough - decent athlete. On the minus side, a suspect temperament, perennial ball watcher & poor distribution. I can't believe the fawning press he gets in Australia. He was made to look a good defender at WC2006 by the (largely) unsung work of Vince Grella playing in the Makelele role.

So, Lukey, ###### off to the Hammers and take Gollum's shilling - you're @#/? and you know you are.

I can't take that comparison seriously American - despite it being a widely cited one.

If a regular person is doing a job for £30,000 p.a and gets offered a position somewhere else for £40,000 p.a, of course you'd think strongly about it, and probably take it. Thats a relevant consideration, as most regular people rely on continuous work to live month to month, year to year.

In the case of Lucas Neill, we're talking those figures PER WEEK. If he's been offered £40k a week at Rovers, he'd be on £2.08m p.a. On £50k a week at West Ham, he'll get £2.6m p.a. With that much money coming in each and every week, is it really worth sacrificing your ambition for a little bit more? A footballers career is very short, they have to make the most of what they have while they are in their prime. Lucas going to West Ham means that, assuming he sees out his contract there, he'll be past his prime by the time he is ready to move on, and will have missed his chance to really make his mark on the game.

A footballers working life is in no way comparable to that of a regular man.

After what I've been reading, I'm sure no one on here has ever chosen a job because it pays either more than their current one, or pays best of all the jobs they have been offered...

I've chosen NOT to take a job which paid double what I was on at the time because I'd be forced to move around loads and be doing something I didn't love.

After what I've been reading, I'm sure no one on here has ever chosen a job because it pays either more than their current one, or pays best of all the jobs they have been offered...

I am looking for a job at the minute and am willing to take a paycut of around 20% to move. So long as it means I dont spend as much time away from home.

Edited by Moppy

I've chosen NOT to take a job which paid double what I was on at the time because I'd be forced to move around loads and be doing something I didn't love.

I didn't have a paper round as a lad, as I'd have be forced to move around loads and do something I didn't love. As well as that I couldn't be arsed ;)

Seriously, though, good for you Jan. The money 'aint everything.

In ordinary life if you get offered a bigger wage you are expected to produce more or work more etc. ie you have to work for it! Footballers don't have to work any harder for any more money...

I think most of you have missed the point.

I've just invested years worth of training, promoted up, made it clear I am backing my employee to the hilt, sent him on the all the best trips, offered him one of the best wages in the company certainly on a par with his peers in the market.

He then comes in tells me he's leaving which he's perfectly entitled to do - I'm not allowed to feel a little agreived at that?

Yes perhaps we would do it but telling people that they are not entiltled to have thier feelings on it is just plain ignorant.

The attitude of its bussiness so get over it sickens me and the fact it is so well subscribed to on this board explains why footabll is such a hollow experience these days.

I've just invested years worth of training, promoted up, made it clear I am backing my employee to the hilt, sent him on the all the best trips, offered him one of the best wages in the company certainly on a par with his peers in the market.

He then comes in tells me he's leaving which he's perfectly entitled to do - I'm not allowed to feel a little agreived at that?

Yes perhaps we would do it but telling people that they are not entiltled to have thier feelings on it is just plain ignorant.

The attitude of its bussiness so get over it sickens me and the fact it is so well subscribed to on this board explains why footabll is such a hollow experience these days.

Well said OscarRaven football is no ordinary business Lucash is a mercenary so so :ph34r:

I think what people are trying to say is that given the ludicrous wages on offer, surely £30k a week to £50k shouldnt matter. What should matter is the chance to improve as a player, play with better players and possibly win trophies. Obviously Lucas doesn't value that as highly as money, that's his perogative.

True, people are entitled to feel aggreived but players come and go, its the nature of the beast. Even as long as I've been watching since 1984 loads of players have come and gone, some worth mourning the loss of, some not. Lucas is good, but not as good as some who have left and Rovers are still in there punching above their weight and challenging bigger opponents.

Edited by key76

There's every possibility that Lucas will fall flat on his face. If that happens I won't care (except to be a bit smug about it:-)

He's going and all I want is for us to get a good deal for him. Hopefully we'll use the Neill money to get Warnock and Hughes will turn him into an international quality FB.

We might not even miss Neill. 'Man of the match' Lucas Neill had a nasty habit of turning into 'Sent off for horrendous and pointless two footed challenge at the half way line' Lucas Neill...

The Lucas Neill 'step over', where he doesn't actually do the step over, will be missed, though. It's class :) I suppose it should be the Lucas Neill 'body swerve'?

If he's been offered £40k a week at Rovers, he'd be on £2.08m p.a. On £50k a week at West Ham, he'll get £2.6m p.a. With that much money coming in each and every week, is it really worth sacrificing your ambition for a little bit more?

It isn't just a little bit more. If those figures are correct (and I've seen the Wham offer quoted as a lot higher) then a four-year contract at Rovers is worth £8.3m whereas a four-year deal with West Ham gets him £10.4m.

More than two million quid extra! Plus a signing-on fee, I'd imagine.

Two million pounds in my pocket... heck, I'd probably leave Rovers for that and I've been a supporter for 30 years.

It isn't just a little bit more. If those figures are correct (and I've seen the Wham offer quoted as a lot higher) then a four-year contract at Rovers is worth £8.3m whereas a four-year deal with West Ham gets him £10.4m.

Two million pounds in my pocket... heck, I'd probably leave Rovers for that and I've been a supporter for 30 years.

No you wouldn't, you can pick your friends and wife etc, but you only support one football club :D

JHC! They must laugh all the way to the ferkin bank.

Since the parallel with personal lives is being used for Lucash Out Neill, let me try this one.

You have Decided you no longer wish to work for your current employer, you know that in a short time you can leave to a bigger better company or more cash. During this time do you honestly put forth 100% effort for your currnet employer. Do you really care if your mistake cost the current employer? Honestly now do you?

No, and at times neither has Neill.

Since the parallel with personal lives is being used for Lucash Out Neill, let me try this one.

You have Decided you no longer wish to work for your current employer, you know that in a short time you can leave to a bigger better company or more cash. During this time do you honestly put forth 100% effort for your currnet employer. Do you really care if your mistake cost the current employer? Honestly now do you?

No, and at times neither has Neill.

Spot on USAblue

Yep, did the same thing myself. We have enough money, always broke but happy. I was head-hunted for a job paying around 50% more plus bonuses but turned it down. In my current role I have a good work / life balance, nobody questions me and I'm effectively my own boss. While the money was tempting the additional pressure meant the grass was a lot greener at home.

By Peter Harrison's own admission Neill has been in negotiation with West Ham this week and has apparently agreed to join them in a two and a half year deal.

Mark Hughes has got most things right since he's been at the club, but there is no way Neill should even figure in the squad tomorrow. It would completely devalue the shirt. The fact he might have the captain's armband would be even worse, but he should never have had that in the first place once he announced he was "keeping his options open".

And before Scotty starts, it's not just because it's Neill, the same would apply to any player who had agreed to leave the club.

Has anyone stopped to think that perhaps West Ham want to put in the relegation clause?

That way they won't have players draining Premiership wages out of their coffers when they are living on a Championship revenue stream.

And another point, shouldn't we applaud Lucas for not succumbing to the usual 'big-club' glory-hunting syndrome?

We all bag the fans and media who jump on the bandwagons of big clubs.. so Lucas wants to play for a small club in London... who in some ways resemble a small club in Lancashire... lots of history... good solid support and reputation.. yadda yadda.

Has anyone stopped to think that perhaps West Ham want to put in the relegation clause?

That way they won't have players draining Premiership wages out of their coffers when they are living on a Championship revenue stream.

And another point, shouldn't we applaud Lucas for not succumbing to the usual 'big-club' glory-hunting syndrome?

We all bag the fans and media who jump on the bandwagons of big clubs.. so Lucas wants to play for a small club in London... who in some ways resemble a small club in Lancashire... lots of history... good solid support and reputation.. yadda yadda.

Was talking to a West Ham mate about this exact thing today. Totally agree, pg

Right Oscar BUT the salient point is ........... why would you do all that if your employee was only on a 4 year contract (of your own making) which was virtually fulfilled?

There is a big difference!

btw this made me laugh....

CARS BEFORE CAPS IS CRAZY - PEARCE

Posted 19/01/07 10:37EmailPrintSave

Stuart Pearce has hit out at today's young players for being more interested in fancy cars than football. Pearce told the story of a player who he recently asked, "Would you rather have a Ferrari or an England cap?" "He told me 'well, definitely a Ferrari because they are fantastic, aren't they?" said the Manchester City manager. "Thats just alien to me."

Pearce offered the anecdote after hearing of Lucas Neill's decision to move to West Ham after the London club offered him a higher wage than Liverpool.

err I love Stuart Pearce's forthright honesty etc but will somebody please tell him that Neill is Australian? :rolleyes:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.