BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 1 - 0 Crystal Palace

If we play the opening 30minutes as we did against Arsenal at Cardiff, then we will be 2-0 up before halftime, which should make it comfortable win.

I really hope Stead starts upfront, because I'm getting sick and tired of watching Dickov complain about pretty much everything.

Rovers 3

Palace 1

tinykit.gif

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one heck of a challenge for Hughes getting the players in the right mindset to face Palace. I honestly think from the reaction of the players and how disappointed they were that they'll still be down about it which will affect our performance. That said I reckon it'll be a draw, with Rovers the happier of the two.

The good news is that Palace need a win. Whereas Rovers don't (though it'd be very nice). This means they'll have to come and attack us, which is Rovers type of game. With the five across the midfield and our defensive solidity I fully expect Rovers to stand firm. Palace have to take chances, they're not going to get many better opportunities for three points then a tired team having lost its semi-final just a few days before. This means that they'll have to take risks, which hopefully should leave space for Emo and MGP to do their stuff.

The bad news is that Rovers must be tired mentally and physically after the outstanding effort at Cardiff. With Palcae bombarding us whether Rovers will have the energy to last the ninety minutes is a severe doubt. With this in mind I'd introduce the relatively rested Emerton and Savage into the team, two players who I believe will be well suited to this game - Emerton to catch them on the break, Savage to help shore up our weary central midfield. Question marks over whether Savage is fit enough to play though remain.

Overall I reckon 1-1 Rovers to take the lead on the break, before conceeding a late equaliser. Hopefully the fans will be out in force and show them how much we appreciated their efforts. A substantial and noisy crowd could give Rovers the mental lift that could make all the difference.

I seem to be having alarm bells for this one.

Andrew Johnson has won them 12 penalties of which he's scored 10. Sounds a bit suspect to me. I fear he'll gain another penalty or two at Ewood. Hopefully the other bald headed one will save at least one.

Rovers 1 - Palace 1

Todd Johnson (pen)

(Johnson missed pen)

As much as I'd love a Rovers rebound with a 4 or 5 goal thrashing for Palace, with strikers like Dickov, it won't happen.

Todd to accidentally elbow Routledge.

Just wanted to say that I added an interview with a Palace fan to the preview, sorry that it's all the same colour but had trouble changing font colour, if a mod or anything would like to do that then by all means go ahead.

If we were to win this game, then I'd be even more optimistic of staying up. We have been playing well of late and Palace have been struggling. We should have killed them earlier this season but Gabor Kiraly was outstanding. If we can reproduce the same kind of performance, that we did against Southampton, where the attacking strengths of the 4-5-1 were their to see, we could win this one by a couple of goals as well. I would make some changes to the starting line up, with Tugay coming in for Flitcroft, Emerton replacing Thompson and Stead playinf instead of Dickov. Rovers to win 2-0.

If we were to win this game, then I'd be even more optimistic of staying up.

If we win I'm pretty sure it'd be mathematically impossible for us not to stay up. smile.gif

We'd have 39 pts - Palace would only be able to get a max of 39.

Norwich would have to win their midweek game to be able to get 39 & if Southampton lose v Bolton they'd only be able to get 39

Edited by Gareth

Thanks for the preview Eddie.

Maybe the criticism following the semi final will spur on the lads. It might be the worst thing to happen to Palace.

Agreed, den. It'd be great to see Rovers come out and answer all of their detractors with not only their customary airtight defensive performance, but some decent football, good possession coupled with an end product of a few goals. That should shut everyone up for awhile.

Team I would go for:

Stead

Pedersen                      Emerton

Savage      Reid

Moko

Matteo  Nelsen  Todd  Niell

Friedel

It is possible that Hughes will stick with Dickov and Thompson but I think a couple of changes would do us good.

Well looks like Dickov and Sav are both out, so Sparky won't be sticking with Dickov at least. Certainly agree with Emerton coming in for Thommo given the latter's form of late, and while I'd love for Savage to be fit, it seems as if we'll see Flitty again instead--though Tugay would certainly be an interesting addition.

My team:

Stead

Pedersen  Reid  Flitcroft  Emerton

Mokoena

Matteo  Nelsen  Todd  Neill

Friedel

It'd be great to see Rovers grab an early goal or two, because this is the type of match that Tugay could really thrive in should he come on with a lead at about the hour mark. With Dickov out, it should be interesting which striker we'll see on the bench... probably Gallagher but possibly Jemal?

Edited by Philly Rover ®

I can't see anything other than a Palace win in this one, I'm a huge fan of Dowie and I expect them to come out on top in what will be a very tactical game as we play similar formations.

If the rumours of Dickov being out are true we may have more of a chance though because I've been far more impressed by Stead recently, he might not annoy defenders as much but he's looked a bigger creative threat.

agree with having Tommo and dickov out!!!!!

Would further prefer that hughes can put in a more offensive approach!!!!!!! wink.gif

get ourselves out of the relegation dogfight with a BANG!!!!! laugh.gifrover.gif

hoping emo could put in some nice performance unsure.gif to prove his worth and stead to start appearing in the scoresheet again.

Friedel

Neill

Todd

Nelsen

johansson

Emerton

Reid

Mokoena

Flitcroft

MGP

Stead

prediction 4-1 laugh.gif

Rovers wins with FLAIR (a word that is long lost in BRFC soccer dictionary)

If we were to win this game, then I'd be even more optimistic of staying up.

If we win I'm pretty sure it'd be mathematically impossible for us not to stay up. smile.gif

We'd have 39 pts - Palace would only be able to get a max of 39.

Norwich would have to win their midweek game to be able to get 39 & if Southampton lose v Bolton they'd only be able to get 39

Well, with that in mind, it makes a win against Palace even more important. I don't know why people are playing our chances down so badly. Yes, we lost on Saturday, but we got to an FA Cup semi final and that should fill the players with pride. After all the criticism that we have recieved over the last couple of days, don't you think that Hughes will use it to fire the players and put in a performance that will shut the critics up?

After 32 games last season, we had 31 points. We had just lost to Portsmouth (H), Liverpool (A) and Leeds (H), and were deep in the brown stuff. Four consecutive wins saw us take 13 points from the last six games to finish on 44 points in 15th position.

At the moment, we have 36 from 32 and stand in 14th position. I'll take 13 points from our last six games quite happily. I reckon that would give us an 11th place finish.

As Rovers have recently won Saints and Norwich pretty confidently, I'd expect the same against the Palace lot. 3-1, with Riihilahti scoring a late consolation for them.

Personally, I'd still give Thompson this last chance saloon. He has played a lot better against the smaller clubs than he has in big games against the likes of Arse and Chelski. Put him in for the first half. If he is shyte again then get Emerton in from the bench. I reckon Brett has also been a lot better when he has come in as a sub in comparison to his performances during most of the season while he was the first choice player in his position.

C'mon Rovers tinykit.gif

After 32 games last season, we had 31 points. We had just lost to Portsmouth (H), Liverpool (A) and Leeds (H), and were deep in the brown stuff. Four consecutive wins saw us take 13 points from the last six games to finish on 44 points in 15th position.

At the moment, we have 36 from 32 and stand in 14th position. I'll take 13 points from our last six games quite happily. I reckon that would give us an 11th place finish.

for that we need Stead to find his scoring boots (or for Hughes to actually play him for gods sake)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.