SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Parkes Testimonial

Guest Kamy100

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When a thread discussing an upcoming testimonial for a legend who gave 35 years' service to our club sinks down to page 2 at the expense of comparitively irrelevant threads like 'Wayne Rooney - Role Model?' and 'Beckhams Balls' , it's easy to come to the conclusion that our great game is going to the dogs.

Looking forward to the game on the 17th.

What size of crowd will Parkesy get?

tinykit.gif  cool.gif

No where near the 38,000 that turned up to Elland Rd. on Sunday for Lucas Radabie's(sp?) testimonial no doubt sad.gif

I'm willing to bet that it'll be atleast 7,000 short of that.....

Booooooooooo

Altogether now "One greedy b*****d" :angry:

How childish and narrowminded can anyone get. Alan Shearer was probably the finest player you are ever likely to see in a Rovers shirt. He should be given a wonderful reception.

The guy wanted to play for his home team which I find to be quite right. Alright it is hard to take because we only want him to be a total Rovers man, but that is because of the pleasure of enormous proportions that he gave us all and we cant bear him to show love for another club.

We should be eternally grateful for the service he gave to us, even turning his back on Manchester United which in its self is a commendable decision these days.

Supporters have to understand that football today is entirely different from days gone by and we have to expect players will move clubs more and more for whatever reasons but that does'nt mean they dont have a great affection for clubs they have played for.

So come on give him a reception worth the enjoyment he gave us all in the time he was here and thank him for giving up his time to help Tony Parkes have a night to remember.

He does'nt have to come you know.

Totally agree with you kenny, i think the man is a blackburn legend, i do not blame him one bit for leaving to go newcastle when he did. Hated it when he came back and got booed like he did.

I think its fantastic that he is coming back to say thanks to tony, and a final thank you to the fans of rovers who still see him as the best player ever to pull on a rovers shirt.

There is no place for bad feeling towards anyone on this night. This is for our loyal and loved servant for many years, Tony Parkes, and it is up to us to turn up and give everyone involved our support, and make it a night to remember!

Booooooooooo

Altogether now "One greedy b*****d"  mad.gif

How childish and narrowminded can anyone get. Alan Shearer was probably the finest player you are ever likely to see in a Rovers shirt. He should be given a wonderful reception.

The guy wanted to play for his home team which I find to be quite right. Alright it is hard to take because we only want him to be a total Rovers man, but that is because of the pleasure of enormous proportions that he gave us all and we cant bear him to show love for another club.

We should be eternally grateful for the service he gave to us, even turning his back on Manchester United which in its self is a commendable decision these days.

Supporters have to understand that football today is entirely different from days gone by and we have to expect players will move clubs more and more for whatever reasons but that does'nt mean they dont have a great affection for clubs they have played for.

So come on give him a reception worth the enjoyment he gave us all in the time he was here and thank him for giving up his time to help Tony Parkes have a night to remember.

He does'nt have to come you know.

May I leap to the defence of Gav by saying WHOOOOOOOOOOSH . PS If I'm wrong, you owe me a pint Gav.

This old chestnut again. mad.gif I don't want to get into a slanging match regarding Shearer's exit from Ewood again...but I also can't stand to see history being rewritten. As I understand it Shearer WANTED to appear on stage at the 'Theatre of Screams' but Jack Walker would not sanction it. The Barcodes where Shearers 2nd choice.

This old chestnut again. :angry: I don't want to get into a slanging match regarding Shearer's exit from Ewood again...but I also can't stand to see history being rewritten. As I understand it Shearer WANTED to appear on stage at the 'Theatre of Screams' but Jack Walker would not sanction it. The Barcodes where Shearers 2nd choice.

I thought RFW's autobiography gave away the biggest clue as to why Al didn't go to Man Yoo.

According to the Red Faced One, Shearer asked if he could take the penalties. RFW replied that, as Cantona was taking and scoring them at the time, Big Al would have to wait till Le Frog missed 2 or 3 on the trot, which of course meant "No"

Missing out on 8 goals a season didn't appeal to our hero, and I think he recent decision to rescind his "reitirement" is another example of how he seems to be more motivated by records than by medals. And quite right too in my opinion. Phil Neal has more medals than anyone (I think) and so what. David May has a cupboard full for God's sake.

Whereas being the highest goalscorer in premiership history and also his hometown's record scorer until the day he dies (assuming he gets the extra few required), I think will give him plenty of pleasure.

As already said, he didn't have to turn up for TP, so give him a cheer for me.

I'm sure Shearer sees this as a way of letting byegones be byegones. I would imagine he's looking on it as his way of saluting the Rovers fans. We should do the same.

We should do something special, maybe a large flag saluting the best centre forward ever seen in a Rovers shirt. Or maybe a presentation of some kind. It would have to be mighty quick though.

It could be an emotional evening.

I'm sure Shearer sees this as a way of letting byegones be byegones. I would imagine he's looking on it as his way of saluting the Rovers fans. We should do the same.

Why do you say that? It strikes me that Shearer has a very low opinion of the Rovers, based on his previous quotes.

I was with TP this afternoon, confirmed players so far (off the top of Parkes' head)...

Flowers, Mimms, Hendry, Pearce, Atkins, Sherwood, Wilcox, Ripley, Newell, Shearer, Speedie, Garner.

Duff and Dunn will be there but aren't likely to play.

Kenna can't as he's got Derby play-offs and Sutton can't because Celtic have the Scottish FA Cup final.

Forgot to add, the Tony Parkes XI will be managed by Dalglish

Edited by Lee

What quotes T4E?

I cant name too many specifics, but comments about us being ungrateful, his refusal to acknowledge us, his comment about how winning the FA Cup with Newcastle would mean far more to him than the Prem with us did, there's been quite a few things, I've always got a negative vibe from him.

This old chestnut again. mad.gif I don't want to get into a slanging match regarding Shearer's exit from Ewood again...but I also can't stand to see history being rewritten. As I understand it Shearer WANTED to appear on stage at the 'Theatre of Screams' but Jack Walker would not sanction it. The Barcodes where Shearers 2nd choice.

Grow up!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.