BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Matt Jansen

Your clearly an absolute retard who is either blind or didn't attend any games that season.

337823[/snapback]

There's no need for that. Clearly the guy fantasizes about Egil Ostenstad donning the Rovers shirt again to show Jansen how it's done.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And no, I'm not a new poster aiming for the Mr Notorious tag, so hit me with some cold hard facts as to Matty's premiership credentials.

337874[/snapback]

16 goals in our first season back in the Premier, without a regulatr partner for most of the season.

Dont forget the goals in the Worthington Cup.

History at Rovers

.............................Apps sub Goals

Total.......................177 (55) 57

League ..................149 (46) 44

FA Cup.....................12 (4) 4

League Cup..............13 (4) 8

European/Others.........3 (1) 1

Matt Jansen, during the second half of our first season back in the Premiership, was the best striker I've seen at Ewood since Shearer. His partnership with Cole was excellent and they both worked together superbly.

One performance that sticks in my mind is away to Bolton, just after our Worthy Cup win, when Cole had been sent off early on. We were 1-0 down at half-time, down to 10 men, in the bottom 3, and I think we all thought we were going down at that point. Jansen turned things around almost single-handedly in the second half by producing one of the most complete forward displays I've seen from anyone, Shearer included.

Jansen was excellent during that season and deserved to be called up to the World Cup squad. How anyone can claim he wasn't up to it - well, they simply must have forgot how good he was.

I agree with Sotty there. Sorry EIT I think you have forgotten how well he played in his first season back in the Prem.

Until that season I had never really cared for Matt Jansen but he changed my mind.

I am not having a go at anyone, though I do think the "new" poster is just a wind up merchant.

I also feel Matt will never be back, he's lost the natural instinct that he used to have. No amount of coaching can put that back, you can see it in his play sure he may bang in the odd goal. Where it shows is when he gets one on one facing a defender, he just does not know how to get round him any more he has to stop and think about what he is going to do where as in the past he may have just done what came naturally and waltzed right by him.

Perhaps Sparky has a different role for Matty in mind, one where he could be effective at this level, but will we ever see Matt of old, absolutely not.

Where it shows is when he gets one on one facing a defender, he just does not know how to get round him any more he has to stop and think about what he is going to do where as in the past he may have just done what came naturally and waltzed right by him.

Im not having a go either USA, but those who saw him on Saturday may dispute what you say. Fair enough he was ruled offside, but Matt didnt know that, neither did he stop to think, when he collected the ball and went round the Espanyol keeper, and as we all know the keeper had to revert to hacking Jansen down.

ok guys, not to get embroiled in a debate as to whether Janses was great or not, or whether he'll ever be as good as before, I just want to know what the thread originator asked and that is whether Jansen has looked good, fit, technically back and has he effectively shaken the rust off, or if he's a second late on his reactions or his passes aren't linking up quite yet. We all know his past and his potential, but what for us foreign fans who do not get the benefit of seeing anything outside of the Premier League fixtures, and even that is rare, we'd love to know if those goals he scored were junk goals, or skill goals.

Regardless of whether he'll return to his old form or not, does he look servicable or does he look to be the 4th or 5th option?

Im not having a go either USA, but those who saw him on Saturday may dispute what you say. Fair enough he was ruled offside, but Matt didnt know that, neither did he stop to think, when he collected the ball and went round the Espanyol keeper, and as we all know the keeper had to revert to hacking Jansen down.

337903[/snapback]

Have to agree with Alan on this one, he was going past Kameni like he wasn't even there until he reverted to a tackle that could have re-arranged his leg!! It was kind of reminiscent of the Jansen of old. Shame he didnt have longer to prove it some more!

337903[/snapback]

Then I will defer to you, since my comments relate to what I saw last season. You have seen him more recently so I hope there is improvement and I am proven wrong. Really, I don't think there are too many rovers fans who would not want Matt back.

Nobody can argue that Jansen wasn't anything short of superb for Rovers in our promotion season and the one afterwards. Anybody that says otherwise clearly wasn't watching Rovers during that period!

I hope more than anybody that Matty can re-find that form but if he can't its not because he's not got the talent it's because he's so unfortunate that the accident ruined his career. In sparky we have a manger who has faith in him as he saw exactly what he could do in that time.

16 goals in our first season back in the Premier, without a regulatr partner for most of the season.

Dont forget the goals in the Worthington Cup.

History at Rovers

.............................Apps sub Goals

Total.......................177 (55)      57

League ..................149 (46)      44

FA Cup.....................12 (4)          4

League Cup..............13 (4)          8 

European/Others.........3 (1)          1

337883[/snapback]

Fair enough. I'm not saying he was crap, as the figures show. But weren't at least 25 of those 44 goals scored in our brief sojourn to the lower reaches? How many of the remaining 20 goals were scored against good teams? Despite the many thrilling touches and turns which I too enjoyed at the time, I can't recall a single instance of him doing it against the big teams. To put him ahead of Sutton and Gallacher is ridiculous. Great goal against first div Notlob when we were three up, but can't be compared with Kevin Gallachers dribble and chip over Schmeichel at OT or the first time volley over Seaman at the Library.

Great players rise to the heights in the big games. 20 top flight goals against lower/mid table teams doesn't qualify for legend status in my books. Very good, but not great.

Surely the hattrick against Arsenal in the League Cup Quarter Final even if Spuds in the final were an ickle team.

And before the old reserves argument gets trotted out, they fielded five but **** Souness put four on the park for us... and their reserves included Wiltord and three from what is now their current first team.

i dont think jansen will ever be as good as he used to ut i think he could still improve with every game he plays and even if he gets half as good as he used to be he will walk into are strike force hope he gets some real chances in the premiership this season because he can still get goals as he has shown, i think we will be seeing more in future of matty hopefully rover.gif

Well hasn't this thread turned nasty the old guard attacking new posters, memebers calling each other names and then someone has bring Egil into it.... truely low.

I think most people can agree Matt Jansens time at Blackburn has been mixed. He has gone through promotions, relegations and cup finals but something everyone can agree on is that Matt Jansen has sent you back to the pub/home after at least one game thinking 'that kid is something special'

Will he do it again? Who knows how long is a piece of string, one things for certain Matt Jansen will always be a hero to some people and attacking them for supporting him is stupid.

Good luck Matt. Lets face it if Jansen does well then so will Rovers so stop biccering get behind our first summer signing - 'Matt Jansen'.

I can't believe that some people are questioning Matt's value and input in the first season back.

He was in a young team that until April was in the bottom of three and in serious danger of going down but still fought his way into the England squad but missed the game thorugh illness.

As for not scoring against the big teams, that season he scored against the top two -Liverpool and Arsenal as well as the WC final- but such an argument makes little sense anyway.

For a club like Rovers-every game is a big game -his goal that season against Ipswich, Rovers' relegation rivals was more important than goals at Arsenal and Liverpool.

There was always more to his game than goals anyway.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.