BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Matt Jansen

Hughes said after the game that he is going to give Jansen a long run in the team. No point in him just being on the fringe of things.

Barring an injury, we will see if Jansen can return to the form of old.

346499[/snapback]

I would LOVE to see Matty and Bellers up front together. NO ONE should judge what happened on Sunday even if Kuqi came on and did a better job in the lone role up front.

Let him have a proper run then judge

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hughes said: "Matt did very well. He has not had a great deal of football recently. It is important Matt gets back to where we know he can be.

"This is a first step and we are delighted for him. It was very important he played a part against Bolton and he certainly did that in the first half."

With Dickov getting on and Kuqi's performance being variable, Jansen could well still have an important role to play. Personally I don't think that he'll get anywhere near where he was before the accident. However I do believe that he can still do a job for us. The question we need to ask ourselves is; is the new Matt Jansen at his new performance level able to contribute something to Rovers. IMO the answer is yes. Last season despite the injuries he got three goals, more than a certain Mr. Stead who there was such an uproar about going. The old Matty's not going to come back, but the new Matty could still have an important role to play. The indications are that Hughes, who is in a better position than all of us to judge, seems to think so too.

Repeating myself but:

- Matty's movement on sunday was excellent, the balls through to him were poor,

- Sparky clearly has faith in Matty or else Derbs and Gally wouldn't be out on loan,

Here's hoping Matty will get better service when sparky has bedded Bentley into the team.

Jansen and Bellamy at their best leading the Rovers front line is a salivating prospect.

Fair enough. I'm not saying he was crap, as the figures show. But weren't at least 25 of those 44 goals scored in our brief sojourn to the lower reaches? How many of the remaining 20 goals were scored against good teams? Despite the many thrilling touches and turns which I too enjoyed at the time, I can't recall a single instance of him doing it against the big teams. To put him ahead of Sutton and Gallacher is ridiculous. Great goal against first div Notlob when we were three up, but can't be compared with Kevin Gallachers dribble and chip over Schmeichel at OT or the first time volley over Seaman at the Library.

Great players rise to the heights in the big games. 20 top flight goals against lower/mid table teams doesn't qualify for legend status in my books. Very good, but not great.

338008[/snapback]

Judging him against the best teams is fair enough but that can't be done by just posting some career stats on a website. If you wish to judge his influence solely on the black and white of goals scored you can do but it is myopic to do so blink.gif .

Jansen had great touch, was wonderful at shielding the ball as well as holding it up for teammates and had a brilliant vision with an ability to spot others, certainly he developed into a player who could weigh up his options. This was real progression from what he was like when he first arrived at Ewood under Brian Kidd. Forgetting the goals, his movement alone created a myriad of chances for the team, not just himself. You say "Despite the many thrilling touches and turns which I too enjoyed at the time, I can't recall a single instance of him doing it against the big teams. " Well...I can. Before Cole's arrival the club had been in a shockingly poor patch of form. After starting the season well, culminating in the 7-1 tonking of a star-studded West Ham we just had a bad patch which was hindered furthermore by our participation in two cups. Cole's arrival led to Jansen finding a level of play (and yes, consistency) which suggested we were seeing the real deal. tinykit.gif

The motorcycle crash has led to Rovers fans idealising his form perhaps a bit too much, yet even if it is built up slightly too much...Jansen was still great in the Premiership nonetheless. If Tord Grip hadn't convinced Sven to change his mind at the last minute and take Martin Keown (tournament playing time - 0 minutes) to the World Cup then...well, who knows... sad.gif

Whatever, Jansen either needs perserving with by Hughes or offloading. There is no point in any half measures anymore. Either he gets a sustained run or forget it. There have been too many false dawns.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Even though Matt didn't have the best game against Bolton (mainly because of the formation and the service), what made me happy was the fact that Hughes left Kuqi and Dickov on the bench. Hughes knew that this was going to be a tough, physical game and could have easily started Kuqi, but he went with Jansen instead. So Matt must be impressing him in training to start him and to say that he will get a run in the team. A couple of years ago he was one of the best strikers in the Premiership. He has gone backwards since the accident, but Hughes must see him improving to play him. The best thing for him will to be playing regularly in the team and have scored some goals by the end of the season.

Repeating myself but:

- Matty's movement on sunday was excellent, the balls through to him were poor,

- Sparky clearly has faith in Matty or else Derbs and Gally wouldn't be out on loan,

Here's hoping Matty will get better service when sparky has bedded Bentley into the team.

Jansen and Bellamy at their best leading the Rovers front line is a salivating prospect.

346548[/snapback]

Totally agree, its great to see Hughes to openly putting his faith in Jansen.

He's also putting his faith in Emerton, as Bert seems to figure more highly than Jansen. Is that great to?

346652[/snapback]

No. Thats bad. I'll explain why -

Jansen = English

Emerton = Australian

Therefore -

Jansen = Good

Emerton = Loser

Simple really.

Edited by Tugay4England

Back to topic, I find it interesting that when Kuqi plays as the lone striker, he's clearly a complete carthorse whereas when Matty plays the role, we can't possibly judge him on that as he was isolated and got crap service.

I don't see why Kuqi deserves less forebearance when he did score 20-odd goals last season, without Duffer on the wing and Cole playing alongside him.

Back to topic, I find it interesting that when Kuqi plays as the lone striker, he's clearly a complete carthorse whereas when Matty plays the role, we can't possibly judge him on that as he was isolated and got crap service. 

I don't see why Kuqi deserves less forebearance when he did score 20-odd goals last season, without Duffer on the wing and Cole playing alongside him.

346682[/snapback]

Very fair point EIT wink.gif

346682[/snapback]

A point I raised on another thread. Seems it is not the carthorse that has the blinkers on. Never mind last season he clearly scared the bejeebers out of the Bolton defence. He put them in bother on several occasions, if he had a strike partner we could have been looking at a comfortable victory.

I think it is out of order to call him a carthorse anyway, he has very deceptive speed, thats why Notlob almost got caught out, they thought he was slow too. Obviously some of our fans will not take to him until he's bagged 30 goals even then they'll moan I'm sure.

346682[/snapback]

20 goals in the Championship..... not the same up here as he's finding. He has missed some sitters this season and some other oppertunities a player with composure would have finished.

Kuqi was always a better option than Jansen against Bolton cuase he's a physical player. I suspect the plan with Jansen was to have a player with pace who could break with the midfield but Bolton did not defend too far up the pitch.

Kuqi Vs Jansen is no debate they both are useless as the lone striker but for different reasons.

• 3 weeks later...
20 goals in the Championship..... not the same up here as he's finding. He has missed some sitters this season and some other oppertunities a player with composure would have finished.

Kuqi was always a better option than Jansen against Bolton cuase he's a physical player. I suspect the plan with Jansen was to have a player with pace who could break with the midfield but Bolton did not defend too far up the pitch.

346726[/snapback]

Jansen was never that quick anyway, was he? Skillful etc and quick enough to get past his man when he'd done him for skill, but not defence splittingly quick IMO.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.