BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Poll - Falling Attendances.

Tris

What do you think is the biggest contributing factor in the alarming decrease in our crowds?  

254 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the biggest contributing factor in the alarming decrease in our crowds?

• Overprice tickets
    • Poor standard of entertainment
    • Lack of atmosphere these days
    • Petty stewards
    • No terracing
    • Unable to identify with players these days
    • Too much football on TV

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the people on here are making such ridiculous points it makes me feel like smashing the monitor. Most of the comments seem to have followed the Bolton match.

Don't some people understand football at all? Never heard of game plans?

FFS stop going on about entertainment, it's all about results. If we won 2-0 and played dross you would be estatic.

I can see Hughes is trying to build this club up again, it will take a while especially without unlimited funds.

It's not just about entertainment, it is about the results.

Whether grinding out a point here and there and scoring 0.6 goals a game will keep us up over the course of a season is debatable.

Still hopefully it's a case of needs must while Bellamy is injured and that we will play a more expansive system when he is finally available.

FFS stop going on about entertainment, it's all about results. If we won 2-0 and played dross you would be estatic.

346761[/snapback]

That's just an opinion though...it's not for people to tell others what they should like about football.

I posted this in the Bolton topic but it's more relevant here...I had plans to go with some none-Rovers supporting friends to a game early next month (probably W.B.A.) but I've cancelled those plans now. I took a few friends to the Leicester game last season and, needless to say, they haven't asked to go again. It's just not worth me spending £40/£50 on the day when I'll just feel embarrassed about making them pay the same for a poor day's entertainment.

I obviously have no idea of telling whether cases like mine are a reason for lower attendences because it may just be me...by writing that I've probably guaranteed that we'll win the West Brom game 4-3 as well.

Just a small point too...I see no reason why 'results' and 'entertainment' are mutually exclusive. I'm frustrated now because I believe we have the players to be an attacking team whilst keeping a solid base, I'm not ignorant enough to criticise us doing it last season, after we'd got tonked 4-0 a couple of times then obviously something drastic needed to be done. I know things may improve when Bellamy comes back, but other things need changing too, his inclusion up-front won't solve anything.

Edited by LeChuck

Andy Gray is worried about the 4-5-1 system as are many more pundits and fans. It's great for our club if we can get 0-0's and 1-0 wins by playing with that system, but ask any other fan and theyl tell you that two teams playing 4-5-1 against each other is almost as boring as watching paint dry. I've heard people ripping us and Bolton apart after sundays games, and we have to admit we would've been bored out of your mind if we werent supporting Rovers in the game. But as Revidge said, hopefuly Bellers will mean a less cautious approach to all games.

Edited by Somerset Rover!

Andy Gray talks a good game tactically. However, he is woefully out of touch on teams who do not have a high profile.

On Hughes and his tactics, I am sure if we had a normal Matt Jansen and a fit Craig Bellamy that they would start up front for us. However, when you do not have a luxury of playing resources at your disposal then 4-5-1 may be better for us in the short term.

I still cannot believe all this talk after playing Bolton. I remember saying to a mate last week, oh we have Bolton on Sunday prepare for a scrappy match.

Added to which last season we did play some attractive football in the 4-5-1 against Palace, Norwich and Southampton. Wasn't the Fulham win also 4-5-1 or am I mistaken. I don't think the formation is always the problem, especially with Tugs playing, but more of the attitude Rovers come out with. Quite rightly the 4-5-1 against the top teams comes with the attitude to scrap and stifle the opposition, whereas in the matches mentioned above the team attitude/instructions was to try playing more attacking football.

That's just an opinion though...it's not for people to tell others what they should like about football.

I posted this in the Bolton topic but it's more relevant here...I had plans to go with some none-Rovers supporting friends to a game early next month (probably W.B.A.) but I've cancelled those plans now.  I took a few friends to the Leicester game last season and, needless to say, they haven't asked to go again.  It's just not worth me spending £40/£50 on the day when I'll just feel embarrassed about making them pay the same for a poor day's entertainment.

I obviously have no idea of telling whether cases like mine are a reason for lower attendences because it may just be me...by writing that I've probably guaranteed that we'll win the West Brom game 4-3 as well.

Just a small point too...I see no reason why 'results' and 'entertainment' are mutually exclusive.  I'm frustrated now because I believe we have the players to be an attacking team whilst keeping a solid base, I'm not ignorant enough to criticise us doing it last season, after we'd got tonked 4-0 a couple of times then obviously something drastic needed to be done.  I know things may improve when Bellamy comes back, but other things need changing too, his inclusion up-front won't solve anything.

346777[/snapback]

The two home games we've played so far have been fairly entertaining. I know one of them finished 0-0 but it was an entertaining 0-0. Maybe if you could be arsed to go you'd see that. 4-5-1 doesn't necessarily mean dull football - it can very easily be turned into a 4-3-3 formation.

Away from home we try to be solid, come away with at least a point, and nick a goal on the break. It's exactly what the likes of Chelsea try to do, except that they are more successful at it because they've got better players.

Incidentally, the one game this season where, away from home, we played 4-4-2 and took the game to our opponents we got pi55ed on. Now I'm sure we'll go back to that formation eventually, but right now I like the fact that we're picking up points.

Oh, and I'd put the blame on Bolton rather than us for Sunday's game. They were the home team yet they showed no signs at all of wanting to commit players to attack. we were professional, organised, and fully-committed - and we also looked more like scoring than they did.

Rovers first two away games = 2 defeats

Rovers manager acts to rectify problem & tightens up defence.

3rd away game = draw (1point in the bag)

I call that progress?? huh.gif

The premiership is a hard league, points are hard earned. I think an away point at UEFA cup qualifying Bolton is a good days work.

Next up is Newcastle & hopefully a good home performance & win.

GET BEHIND THE TEAM. tinykit.gif

Is this what we are to expect a Blackburn team that plays for a draw at home to the powehouse that is Tottenham Hotspur

346734[/snapback]

Did you go this game? I have to say it was one of the most entertaining games I've seen at Ewood in months and did a lot to restore my faith in the side. My only frustration from this game being I have to wait until Sunday to see the Rovers again.

I posted to this effect earlier and still feel the long gap between fixtures is not helping. After Spurs I was waiting for more, I expect others are too, but now I've waited, and waited, and waited......all the enthusiasm built up from that game has ebbed away.

nice take Scotty, I fully agree with you.

Rovers and others do have to think ahead and seek survival. Yes that 40 point mark cant come quick enough.

Rovers this season - wham apart- have been a far better sight than the last 2 seasons. They are effective, they work, they harry, they fight (literally), they run non stop. The only thing we lakc is a constant front man who can bang the ballin the net.

The reason and sole reasons for falling attendances is NOT 4-5-1 or poor football, its the rocketing prices of watching it.

Rovers have good ideas with the prices, but please £48-£50 for chelsea away, your 'aving a larff, Look at the other grounds, fans are simply being priced out of the game.

I wonder how it would compare across the league home fans v away fans prices.

I listened to J Wiliams take on attendances and he is right.

Football has hit the brick wall, it must have when fergie, whinger and moanalot come out and say how sorry they are for the fans having to pay massive money to watch their teams.

I wonder how sorry they would all be if they had to ask their players to take a 30% drop in wages to assit supporters in attending football grounds.

Incidentally, the one game this season where, away from home, we played 4-4-2 and took the game to our opponents we got pi55ed on.  Now I'm sure we'll go back to that formation eventually, but right now I like the fact that we're picking up points.

346790[/snapback]

Never mind the fact that we got pi55ed on after switching over to 4-5-1...

That's just not true American.  We changed to 4-5-1 because we were getting pi55ed on.

346903[/snapback]

See, they're too soft these modern footballers. I once got Britvic55ed on in a pub and I never changed to 4-5-1!! Even though I smelled like an orange for the rest of the evening.

I wonder how sorry they would all be if they had to ask their players to take a 30% drop in wages to assit supporters in attending football grounds.

346875[/snapback]

Beat me to it 1864

Thought exactly the same when I read Lampards comments about the non attendance Chelsea fans last night.

There was a good discussion on Century last night and the phone in's - but what pisses me off is now people are noticing the gaps in the other clubs that something is wrong with football - yet we have been going on about this for a while, and as we are well aware has affected Rovers as a club badly - yet all we have got over the last year is a stigma of a poorly supported club without looking into the reasons in context.

As I pointed out at the time of the FA Cup Semi Final - the things people have missed is that Rovers fans have been the less naive and stupid THAN OTHER CLUBS and decided enough was enough and voted with their feet for some time.

That's just not true American.  We changed to 4-5-1 because we were getting pi55ed on.

346903[/snapback]

Yes it is true, fist half we definately looked the better team. However after an early goal at the start of the second half, panic changes by MH made the players look like they had no idea what they should have been doing.

Beat me to it 1864

Thought exactly the same when I read Lampards comments about the non attendance Chelsea fans last night.

There was a good discussion on Century last night and the phone in's - but what pisses me off is now people are noticing the gaps in the other clubs that something is wrong with football - yet we have been going on about this for a while, and as we are well aware has affected Rovers as a club badly - yet all we have got over the last year is a stigma of a poorly supported club without looking into the reasons in context.

As I pointed out at the time of the FA Cup Semi Final - the things people have missed is that Rovers fans have been the less naive and stupid THAN OTHER CLUBS and decided enough was enough and voted with their feet for some time.

346934[/snapback]

Den summed the situation up perfectly...

'They will listen when the big clubs are affected. No doubt about that whatsoever.

As for the rest - tough.'

The rest of us could fold for all they care.

Reports are there will be thousands of empty seats at Stamford Bridge tonight v Anderlecht......£48-60 a throw!

Will they listen to the fans??........................

346717[/snapback]

No!

They will listen to the KERCHING! of the cash register. When profits start to seriously fall the fun will start

Football as we know it is teetering on the edge of oblivion. When the next round of TV rights bargening comes round, there is going to be a fundamental shift in how football is financed IMO.

Its going to hit us big time !

Reports are there will be thousands of empty seats at Stamford Bridge tonight v Anderlecht......£48-60 a throw!

346717[/snapback]

One very real fear for the likes of Rovers is the next TV deal. IF fans refuse to pay the big four's ticket prices they clearly face a significant revenue loss. Arsenal, Chelsea, Man utd (Liverpool?) must be questioning their income from Sky at around £20m and be considering how they can sell their TV rights individually. I'd gamble this is the prime consideration to increase revenue in the face of falling attendance - they won't drop the price until it becomes utterly unavoidable.

Should this happen the small clubs will be shafted.

We hear a lot of talk about football needing to compete with other leisure activities. It makes me think about the real value of a match ticket. Football no longer has any unique selling point - I'd say a ticket is worth £10, maybe £15 for a big game, IF the clubs are serious about arresting the declining attendances.

It's about perceived value and at £30-£50 a game there are plenty of other activities with an higher perceived value.

For one thing a good meal in a decent restaurant with your wife! wink.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.