BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Poll - Falling Attendances.

Tris

What do you think is the biggest contributing factor in the alarming decrease in our crowds?  

254 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the biggest contributing factor in the alarming decrease in our crowds?

• Overprice tickets
    • Poor standard of entertainment
    • Lack of atmosphere these days
    • Petty stewards
    • No terracing
    • Unable to identify with players these days
    • Too much football on TV

This poll is closed to new votes

The Burnley match should certainly kick-start interest , even of the Inter-East Lancs nature.

The acid test would be if there was a replay - could we sell all our tickets?

Be marvellous if ticket stubs from both Ewood games v Cardiff and Colchester Utd were required for tickets for't Turf! tongue.gif

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres a thought..if the playoffs had existed in the 70s and eighties when Rovers were always near ,we might have gone up much earlier and Simon Garner & Co may have become England players

another thought;

if we got zidane, keane, etc....

well, we didn't

Not one of them would have stayed if a top club had come in for them. We were their comfort zone. Their loyalty was largely down to necessity.

Paul you keep banging on about comparisons with business but in this instance you are letting your Prem League heart run your 2nd div head. Talk to most 'Big' club supporters and I'd wager that loyalty from players doesn't figure that highly. The majority with even half a brain will have always known that their players have only come for the money ever since 1963 and the abolishment of the max wage. I dont want loyalty from players and anybody who does is looking for fools gold. I just want professionalism, ability and passion from our players.

Not once have I used the word "loyalty" in this discussion. I have however used, as you do "professionalism, ability and passion" or similar words.

Answer this question thenodrog - "If you perceive a product as poor quality would you buy it on a regular basis?" Please just answer the question.

The stay away fans perceive the performances on the pitch as rubbish consequently they won't attend or buy the product. On the other hand if players demonstrated "professionalism, ability and passion" we might have a fighting chance of filling the empty seats.

I still maintain Lancashire United would a disaster and the real secret to building the fan base is to ensure children are involved at a very early age.

the real secret to building the fan base is to ensure children are involved at a very early age.

Perhaps this is the answer.

Sell kids tickets for £1 for EVERY game in ALL areas at the turnstiles for ANY unsold seats. First come, first serve on the day of the match.

ALL kids tickets £3 if bought in advance ( for those of us who want to book ahead and ensure where our kids sit when we have season tickets ).

OR allow adult season ticket holders to bring a child FOR FREE to ANY game by 'phoning or attending the ticket office the day before the game ( to allow adult price sales ) and collecting the ticket at the ground ( again first come, first served ).

We need to turn the disgraceful embarrassment of empty seats into an opportunity.

IF WE CANNOT FILL SEATS GIVE THEM AWAY TO KIDS.

the real secret to building the fan base is to ensure children are involved at a very early age.

Precisely.

See my earlier post on Leicester Tigers rugby union club and their success in building a fan base by grabbing the kids at an early age.

Call me a stupid old fart, but this problem requires some new thinking.

Here's an idea:

Rebuild the Riverside and give over the entire upper section (4,000 - 5,000 seats ?) to children, who would be given FREE season tickets.

The cost of building it ?

Only the price of one Grabbi, one Davies or one spineless Scot.

The long-term benefit ?

Absolutely priceless.

Generation upon generation of children imbued with the habit of attending football matches and (hopefully) a love of Blackburn Rovers.

I realise there may be logistical and stewarding problems with so many kids in one place but it's worth serious consideration.

"Rebuild the Riverside and give over the entire upper section (4,000 - 5,000 seats ?) to children, who would be given FREE season tickets."

Or to 1 parent with 2 children or more - first come first served basis - queue outside the ground or buy a ticket to avoid quue.

Could do this in Upper Darwen End now!

Precisely.

See my earlier post on Leicester Tigers rugby union club and their success in building a fan base by grabbing the kids at an early age.

Call me a stupid old fart, but this problem requires some new thinking.

Here's an idea:

Rebuild the Riverside and give over the entire upper section (4,000 - 5,000 seats ?) to children, who would be given FREE season tickets.

The cost of building it ?

Only the price of one Grabbi, one Davies or one spineless Scot.

The long-term benefit ?

Absolutely priceless.

Generation upon generation of children imbued with the habit of attending football matches and (hopefully) a love of Blackburn Rovers.

I realise there may be logistical and stewarding problems with so many kids in one place but it's worth serious consideration.

when we already regualrly have at least 5,000 seats empty why bother rebuilding the stand. We could give away/sell very cheap say 3000-5000 easy at the moment.

A general deal of all kids (14 and under) for £5, upto 4 per adult. The Darwin End would be ideal, the only problem being the away support in the bottom tear. I cannot see it really being that bad however.

The offer could be recinded for Liverpool/Man Utd,or shifted to remaining seats in other stands going on purchase two days before the match.

When we cannot fill our ground at the moment building a new stand would be lunacy.

Perhaps make it free (to kids) for all games except the obvious ones and include a voucher guaranteeing priority when the big boys come to town?

Which is pretty much what is being said above.

It occurs to me that if we brainstorm this for long enough we just might find the answer - or at least something JW can use as a starting point.

''Or to 1 parent with 2 children or more - first come first served basis - queue outside the ground or buy a ticket to avoid que.''

So one 'diehard' Adult supporter pays £4-500 for his/her season ticket and one 'fairweather' gets into Ewood for 'nowt? how long would people turn a blind eye to that I wonder! dry.gif

Give us a ferkin break...please dont take the p1ss mad.gif

Once again, the club needs income,hard cash not spongers.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

Or stick our heads in the sand, and see ever decreasing attendances, 10000 regulars then 8 then 5. We can then watch the European Super League on Sky in the pub and talk about the good old days when about how people used to pay £30 to watch games in the cold before they were just played out on playstations for the TV audience

Interesting crowd count tonight - 23,414. The highest non-Saturday Ewood crowd of the season (apart from Boxing Day) - and for a TV game as well.

Of all home games, the 6th highest of the season, behind ManU, Everton, Liverpool (for obvious reasons), Newcastle (Boxing Day) and West Brom (opening day of the season).

Way above the recent Charlton and Bolton games, Charlton was kids for a quid and Bolton the nearest local team. Chelsea didn't appear to have brought the sort of numbers that Colchester mustered on Saturday.

All of which suggests that a huge percentage of the bodies through the home turnstiles tonight were there to see Chelsea, not Rovers.

Also, the argument that people are walking away due to TV coverage and varying kick off times is looking pretty weak after tonights turnout.

When they want to be there, they show up. Shame they couldn't be arsed for an enjoyable (and cheap) cup win at the weekend.

Interesting crowd count tonight - 23,414. The highest non-Saturday Ewood crowd of the season (apart from Boxing Day) - and for a TV game as well.

Of all home games, the 6th highest of the season, behind ManU, Everton, Liverpool (for obvious reasons), Newcastle (Boxing Day) and West Brom (opening day of the season).

Way above the recent Charlton and Bolton games, Charlton was kids for a quid and Bolton the nearest local team. Chelsea didn't appear to have brought the sort of numbers that Colchester mustered on Saturday.

All of which suggests that a huge percentage of the bodies through the home turnstiles tonight were there to see Chelsea, not Rovers.

Also, the argument that people are walking away due to TV coverage and varying kick off times is looking pretty weak after tonights turnout.

When they want to be there, they show up. Shame they couldn't be arsed for an enjoyable (and cheap) cup win at the weekend.

Another day, another poorly thought out post about the crowd. How many more times are we going to have to go through this?

First of all, Chelsea brought around a 1000 more than Colchester - it's always hard to judge but I'd agree with SG 194 and say about 3000.

Secondly, there were certainly a lot of new faces near me last night which would suggest that they'd only come because it was Chelsea. But hasn't that always been the case? Back in the eighties we used to average crowds of less than 10,000, yet whenever we played a big cup game the crowd would swell to nearly double that. There will always be more people there at the big games - always has been, always will be. It's the same for every club.

Thirdly, the attendance would have been much bigger if the game hadn't been on TV. I'm sure Chelsea would have brought more and I suspect there would have been more in the home areas as well. You seem to be the only person that can't see that the current level of TV coverage is contributing to the decline in attendances in the Premiership.

A general deal of all kids (14 and under) for £5, upto 4 per adult. The Darwin End would be ideal, the only problem being the away support in the bottom tear. I cannot see it really being that bad however.

We've already got one of the cheapest matchday prices in the Premiership and Coca Cola Championship.

A junior can get in and watch Spurs for a £5 or Man Utd for a £10. I'm pretty sure there won't be many clubs in the Championship that would offer better value.

For last night's game I bought 5 extra tickets for friends,met them in a pub on A59,drove em to and from match,talked to them rather than my football mates. 3 have paid me so far for the tickets and I may get the money back from the other 2 at £28 a shot.

And I am still embarassed about 23,400 and where the other 5,000 were.I am really happy for the pubs and all the keen supporters in them,NOT.

Does the technology exist to blank out satellite reception within specific post codes during broadcast of a game? Just a theory I have about preventing viewing within a certain radius of any PL ground at which the match is being played as part of the next Sky deal.

We could by some sort of device to jam the signals laugh.gif

In addition to Scotty's thread Tris - its not just the TV and I don't think people are indicating this - just that combined with other things it is a major contributary ie its there - take the live game away and more probably would have been there as they would if it was on a Saturday.

Finally, yet again we have nil at home, another defeat not much to talk about in the way of possible goals except for the penalty - how many times have we seen this so far this season despite 'we played well' from manyquarters and deserved more. From memory there is only really Boro that slaughtered us (deservedly) and MU but we got a draw from that but going Ewood at the moment does not install any confidence of a point never mind a win into the paying spectator and its becoming to common - couple that up with the factor of sitting in a pub and a couple a pints of Guinness with Abbey paying and you can see why people can't be bothered - even if it is the what we can probably say now are the P/L Champs coming to town - its all too predictable and boring.

Now balance that up with the Dingles game...

Does the technology exist to blank out satellite reception within specific post codes during broadcast of a game? Just a theory I have about preventing viewing within a certain radius of any PL ground at which the match is being played as part of the next Sky deal.

We could by some sort of device to jam the signals laugh.gif

You just need a bigger country!

The NFL has some bizarre television rules, but one of the good ones is that a game cannot be seen in the home marketplace unless it has been sold out 48 or 72 hours in advance (I forget which).

We could by some sort of device to jam the signals  laugh.gif

You just need a bigger country!

The NFL has some bizarre television rules, but one of the good ones is that a game cannot be seen in the home marketplace unless it has been sold out 48 or 72 hours in advance (I forget which).

faiders are always blacked out!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.