SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Our Loaned Players In Action

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

He's either been injured or totally rubbish and Rover6 is currently trying to find a new white elephant to pin his hopes on

Alan Mahon

Donnelly

any others?

That being said I quite expect Mahon to score againt us when we play Wigan

Excuse me, but I did not pin my hopes on Alan Mahon or Ciaran Donnelly.

If you cast your minds back to Graeme Souness' consummate bungling of the left wing position, you will be reminded that at one depressing stage Alan Mahon was the only available senior left midfielder on our books (even though I think his preferred position is central).

My 'outlandish' argument was that whilst we had no other left midfielder (David Thompson had proven to be ineffective in the role) and Alan Mahon had just had a impressive loan spell at Ipswich before he returned to Rovers, it would make sense to field Alan Mahon as a left midfielder until Souness had unearthed a better option.

As for Ciaran Donnelly, it is true I suggested he should be involved in the first team squad. He had reached a decent standard for the reserves, impressed on loan at Blackpool and regularly played for England youths with distinction.

Souness obviously agreed because Donnelly was summoned to the first team squad with Jon Douglas. However, such was the totally capricious nature of the promotion of youngsters during the Souey regime, the less talented Douglas got a game and went on to earn a ludicrously long contract. Donnelly didn't get a game and on the departure of Jerome Watt to Cercle Brugge, began to play right midfield for the reserves. His performances failed to catch Hughes' eye and he departed.

Had Souness chosen Donnelly as the stop-gap on the left wing, it could be that he would be the one sitting pretty on a four year contract with Rovers and Douglas floundering in League One.

And btw, George Galloway may be on the hunt for a fatherland of tyranny to invest his time but I am not after a white elephant to pin my hopes on. Although, Sergio Peter is a welcome addition to the first team squad to put pressure on MGP. wink.gif

Edited by rover6

Souness obviously agreed because Donnelly was summoned to the first team squad with Jon Douglas. However, such was the totally capricious nature of the promotion of youngsters during the Souey regime, the less talented Douglas got a game and went on to earn a ludicrously long contract. Donnelly didn't get a game and on the departure of Jerome Watt to Cercle Brugge, began to play right midfield for the reserves. His performances failed to catch Hughes' eye and he departed.

361421[/snapback]

This suggests that Donnelly superior ability should shine through over time and he will play at a higher level than Douglass. This is not the case at the moment.

He has currently played 9 games for Blackpool this season scoring two goals.

Edited by joey_big_nose

And btw, George Galloway may be on the hunt for a fatherland of tyranny to invest his time but I am not after a white elephant to pin my hopes on. Although, Sergio Peter is a welcome addition to the first team squad to put pressure on MGP.  wink.gif

361421[/snapback]

Touche wink.gif

Although when Pringle and myself went see Sergio play a year ago or so - he wasnt that much cop - although Andy Taylor was, and Taylor was a spitting image of a young Craig Short

Gary Harkins has gone on a month's loan to Blackpool.

Is that six youngsters out on loan now? The fact that Rovers can place so many platers like this must give the Academy real heart to show youngsters considering coming to the Rovers that we are able to develop careers even for the ones who might fall short of the Premiership level.

361290[/snapback]

Or perhaps it sends the message that, in spite of the youth's impressive looking set up, the young players coming out of Blackburn fall short of making the big time. It may just look poor for us, all depends how you want to look at it.

All Academies have a massive failure rate with most kids ending up at semi-pro level at best. The fact that we can point to having youngsters getting second and third division level experience (which might yet lead to Premiership places) is a big plus.

How many players in the Prem starting line-ups this week-end will have come through from the clubs' own youth structures? 40 at most?

It all make me wonder if the cost of the academy is worth the outlay.

The clubs who benefit tremendously from the academy, are the lower league clubs who, having watched rovers spend a lot of money on the development of the youngsters, snap them up for free.

The clubs who benefit tremendously from the academy, are the lower league clubs who, having watched rovers spend a lot of money on the development of the youngsters, snap them up for free.

361591[/snapback]

The club should hopefully at most a reasonable fees for our latest crop on loans though if the club do decide to sell, although lately the club has just given these youngsters away on frees. Anyone think we will get fees for the likes of Douglas,Gallagher,Mcevely if they are sold?

361591[/snapback]

Can we work out all the money we have recouped for home grown players since Jan 2000?

I will put out the more obvious ones because, frankly, my memory is awful

Dunn (5.5m)

Duff (17m)

Taylor (1m?)

Johnson (?)

Plus Gallagher and McEveley must be worth around half a million each.

Thats not too bad.

Can we work out all the money we have recouped for home grown players since Jan 2000?

I will put out the more obvious ones because, frankly, my memory is awful

Dunn (5.5m)

Duff (17m)

Taylor (1m?)

Johnson (?)

Plus Gallagher and McEveley must be worth around half a million each.

Thats not too bad.

361634[/snapback]

Dunn and Duff were there before the academy.

361591[/snapback]

When clubs scrap their youth systems it generally means that there is something very seriously wrong going on IMO.

We've spent millions already on the youth academy and it would not be economical to write that all off when we can keep it ticking over and potentially producing good players.

Do our free transfers have sell on clauses or performance clauses?

The figure generally banded about is 25%, although 50% got mentioned once upon a time.  Who knows1!

361653[/snapback]

Either way that's not bad going IMO.

Accy Stanley got a lot of money from the sell on clause in the Ormerod deal (Blackpool/Southampton) and we could get some decent money too, potentially.

The academy is a huge outlay I agree BUT it acheives to functions

1) potentially finds the next great. Whatever the success rate finding a Clayton or Duffer would be a huge shout

2) Fulfills a good social function

3) as Hughes showed with Wales, blending youth and experience can be a winner. He clearly has faith in our youngsters, he makes them train with the 1st team on a regular basis, and comes from a club famous for making the name of youngsters with loan deals (Beckham to the nobenders, anyone?)

Harkins looks the sort who could be a great squad player, and with the departure of Flitty in midfield that is what we really need. Yes he isn't exactly Vieria BUT he is an option on low wages and we are woefully short of options.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.