BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Liverpool 1-0 Rovers

Unfortunately I had to sit near the moronic element who started the chant.  I hope they're proud of themselves- they cost us at least a point today, but then I've been saying a similar thing all season. 

If you want to gloat, wait till the game's won.  Taunt players from the opposing team at 3-0 (although not with such a sickening chant as that one) if you must, but button it until then.  Oh and Cisse's reaction- the goal and after- was 100% justified.

It was obvious to those of us with some taste and decency that the "young team" at the back had left their collective brain cell at home.  I've never enjoyed a game less, nor felt that we deserved to lose more.  (Not the team- they deserved more- but the pathetic but vocal minority of fans deserved less than nothing)

353500[/snapback]

No, the fans didn't cost us a point today - it was down to poor defending and slack refereeing. However moronic the chants were, blaming the result on a group of fans is well wide of the mark....

I don't like to be the type of fan who complains everytime we don't get our own way, but Halsey was poor this afternoon, especially in the 2nd half. Far too many 50-50's were blown up in Liverpool's favour, let alone challenges that seemed fair.

The Cisse chants were out of order - I didn't begrudge him for milking the celebrations in front of our fans. However, if Cisse and Crouch (and to some degree , Morientes) continue in the same vein of form they displyed today, Liverpool will be lucky to be challenging the top 6 this season - they were awful. Without Gerrard they looked vulnerable and incapable of launching any type of attack other than trying to pick out Crouch (or A.N.Other) at the far post from free kicks.

I honestly believe that with a fully fit Belllamy in the starting XI we could have taken something from today's game - the fact that I'm genuinely disappointed to come away from Anfield without any kind of positive result (taking into account we were down to 10 men) should be worth something - we're definitely heading in the right direction.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im very proud of the Rovers players and fans today as both were superb. We are starting to play very well at the moment, there was no doubt in my mind that we were the better team for the first 30mins and if not for the referee giving us 10 men then im sure we would have taken at least a point away from anfield.

Hopefully the red card will be taken away, cos as soon as i saw the challange, i thought free kick and yellow card. The red ruined what could have been a decent match.

Liverpool were an absoulte disgace today and that is 1 of the biggest 'papering over' jobs ive ever seen in my life. No creativty, desire, passion and that squad assembled for over £100m playing against a small east lancashire club who had been reduced to 10 men for the vast majority of the match. They never looked like scoring and it was always gonna come from a set peice.

Despite the above, i still thought it was 1 of the most enjoyable away trips ive ever been on. Our support was absoulty magnificent, singing and chanting throughout the game, i had partially lost my voice just after the end. Such passion from the Rovers fans and it would be great to replicate that every week.

Yes the cisse chant was bad, but hey liverpool fans take the ###### outa munich and united fans outa hilsbourgh, so lets not over react rover.gif

Liverpool fans were embarrising and as the Rovers fans said, the worst support we've every seen (seen/heard same difference).

(For me, that includeds a league cup 2nd rnd game against portsmouth in our promotion yr when we won the first league 4-0 and the 3nd leg was played in front of 2,300 and they were better!)

The didnt actually sing for the home game until a half hearted 'cisse hows ur leg' just after they scored. I would hate to support a club like that, despite the succes, results are just expected and they just sit there in silence!

Ewood is a couldran in comparrison. rover.gif

Edited by BRFC4EVA

Maybe if Savage had horribly broken his leg and thought his career might be over at the young age of 24, only to have the fans taunt him for it, then maybe that would be a fair comparison.

Cisse was right to incite the fans today and, if he had have scored against any other club I would have been delighted for him. He looked a litle rusty today but the man is a class act and far and away Liverpools best striker.

The question is whether Zura had much choice, he made a sliding tackle where (as the commentator placed it) "he could not control his momentum".

He raised his foot a bit though, which maybe ended in Cissè being caught. Either way, it was a desperate tackle, but at least it was outside the box.

The most annoying part of it is really that Halsey wanted a penalty, which is ridiculous. It just shows how poor his positioning was in that situation, which makes the sending off even more frustrating..

Bring on Silicon Valley FC!

Unfortunately I had to sit near the moronic element who started the chant.  I hope they're proud of themselves- they cost us at least a point today, but then I've been saying a similar thing all season. 

If you want to gloat, wait till the game's won.  Taunt players from the opposing team at 3-0 (although not with such a sickening chant as that one) if you must, but button it until then.  Oh and Cisse's reaction- the goal and after- was 100% justified.

It was obvious to those of us with some taste and decency that the "young team" at the back had left their collective brain cell at home.  I've never enjoyed a game less, nor felt that we deserved to lose more.  (Not the team- they deserved more- but the pathetic but vocal minority of fans deserved less than nothing)

353500[/snapback]

did you not admit to singing along to the songs about Souness and his heart.

If so, you're in no position to talk.

SICKO!

Halsey initally gave a penalty, then changed his mind. It happended at Anfield before, in the "Champions" league V Roma I think. Then the linesman told him it was a free kick.

I would have prefered a penalty, and a yellow card than free kick and a red.

Sat in the Centenary stand, Rovers end was full. Not very loud from up there though.

Is anyone else worried with Brad this season:

If there was anyone to blame for Liverpools goal, It was Friedel I'm afraid..........

.........I'm actually getting nervous with him in goal now. Positioning has been average, claiming the ball has been weak and he must have spilt the ball about 4 times already this season

353490[/snapback]

If anyone was to blame it was Savage for giving the stupid free-kick away on the edge of the box. Cisse struck it powerfully and i don't think Friedel could have stopped it.

353493[/snapback]

Brad may indeed have been positioned too far his left but have you forgotten that we were down to 10? With 11 men on the pitch the wall would prob have contained another body and Cisse's fairly ordinary shot would have been blocked, wouldn't it? ? Also I still cannot think of more than 3 or 4 keepers that I would replace him with.

With crowds, viewers and interest in decline the authorities really need to accept the concept that sending off a player from one side ruins the game as a spectacle for all! According to Sky Zura got a touch to the ball first so it should not even have been a free kick! Halsey and his linesmen obviously do not have the benefit of replays and I accept that but I don't expect them to adopt the 'give a dog a bad name' concept of refereeing. However given that the ball was moving away from goal, the incident was outside the box and the fact that a blind man on a galloping horse could see that Zura was making a genuine attempt at a tackle to win the ball should have seen no card awarded.

Maybe this example should be used as a reason to implement a 'green card'(?) scenario for a 'sin bin' or a blue card for a 'compulsory substitution' remedy?

Hughes says the club will appeal against the sending offand I cannot blame him for that. The fact that we did not appeal against Todds sending off for the unusual offence of 'foreheadpushing' after being kicked off the ball should stand us in good stead hopefully.

Edited by thenodrog

I've been thinking of a way of educating our "quiormasters" recently. I applaud anyone for trying to generate the atosphere, but recently we've been made to look right numpties by them.

353506[/snapback]

Glenn....... A good atmosphere can be created by chants admittedly, but you are old enough and have been to enough games to realise the limited mentality of a large %age of our 'singers'? Silk purses and pigs ears spring to mind. rover.gif

I was very disappointed with the result yesterday, because I really thought that it was a game that Rovers could have got a result from. I haven't seen any highlights, but apparently Zurab's sending off was very unfair and Hughes believed that we could have comfortably won that game, if we had 11 men on the pitch.

the game totally changed after that red card, bit dodgy i think. It said on ssn hughes was going to appeal against it.

i thought our fans were brilliant today, minus a few chants. But yet again, the liverpool fans have this reputation, how the feck did they get it

Just seen the sending off on TV and it was never a red card. Up until that point we were marginally the better of two bad teams and looked on course for at least a point.

I thought Hughes took the wrong forward off. Dickov showed last season that he can be effective as a lone striker and he should have stayed on imo. Still, it was always going to be difficult playing with ten men for so long and so it proved. The second half was basically Liverpool's attack against our defence.

Friedel was partly at fault for the goal but, just like Shearer's goal against us a few weeks ago, the Rovers defence didn't close Cisse down qucikly enough. I also thought our set-piece defending was awful throughout the game and Liverpool seemed to get a free header almost every time a cross was played into the box.

Savage was easily our best player yesterday and our so-called creative players were non-existant. Liverpool were awful - how on earth are they European champions?

Finally, some of our fans were a disgrace yesterday. I don't expect them to change, or even care, but their moronic chanting just lets down the whole club. The chants of "Cisse - how's your leg?" were sung by many, repeatedly, and most stupidly just before he scored. As Cisse, understandably, ran to our fans and celebrated he was greeted with a large number of monkey chants from the many numpties who'd congregated near the back of the away end. Then came the even more sickening chant of "Lucas, break his legs. Lucas, Lucas, break his legs". From that moment on I wasn't too bothered to see us lose - it was what those morons deserved.

I thought Hughes took the wrong forward off.  Dickov showed last season that he can be effective as a lone striker and he should have stayed on imo. 

353567[/snapback]

That thought occured to me too. Alternatively maybe Bentley should have made way (with Dickov dropping deeper) as their appears little fight or determination in his game. The striking quality might not be great with Kuqi and Dickov but together they do the work of 3 men and are so often our best defenders.

Liverpool

"Worst Support We've Ever Seen", to a FULL and LARGE stadium, genius. "Worst Support We've Ever Heard" makes more sense.

"Have you one the Premier League", whilst now very dated at least makes sense. Singing "Stand Up if you've one the league" and "What's it like to win #### all" to a team with 18 top flight league titles and 5 European Cups is just silly.

...... I have other examples, but that will do for tonight.

353506[/snapback]

Singing " The Champions League, you're having a laugh" to the European Champions (however they were playing on the day) was toe curlingly cringeworthy.

I dont know why we bother sometimes. Why dont we just sit there in silience next time so the pc bigade dont get offended. What a load of b.s, 1 of the best travelling atmopheres that we've had for ages (liverpool fans on the bbc board said best travelling support so far, which includeds manure and chelsea) and people still have to find the negative mad.gif

Edited by BRFC4EVA

Yeh just knew Cisse would score when Rovers fans started singing "Cisse Cisse How's your leg"

That's just awful. What's funny about someone breaking a leg? Well done to him for scoring the winner after that and shoving it back down their throats. Isn't supposed to be just a game of football?

Is anyone else worried with Brad this season:

If there was anyone to blame for Liverpools goal, It was Friedel I'm afraid.

Thats 2 away games in a row where he has gifted the oposition a goal.

Maybe he's getting complacent after signing his new contract. Because I'm actually getting nervous with him in goal now.Positioning has been average, claiming the ball has been weak and he must have spilt the ball about 4 times already this season

353490[/snapback]

I've been worried about Brad for about 2 seasons now. No one's wanted to listen though. Another thing he his getting into the nasty habit of, that will cost us if he keeps it up, is punching the ball DOWN into the penalty area he did it again yesterday, came and punched and it went right down a few yards in front.

Now, when I was playing goalie I was always told punch high and away.

Makes me nervous anymore Brad does.

I dont know why we bother sometimes. Why dont we just sit there in silience next time so the pc bigade dont get offended. What a load of b.s, 1 of the best travelling atmopheres that we've had for ages (liverpool fans on the bbc board said best travelling support so far, which includeds manure and chelsea) and people still have to find the negative  mad.gif

353573[/snapback]

Commenting on singing nonsensical songs is hardly PC, BRFC4EVA. Our support yesterday was good but we don't have to come across as thick. wink.gif

I dont know why we bother sometimes. Why dont we just sit there in silience next time so the pc bigade dont get offended. What a load of b.s, 1 of the best travelling atmopheres that we've had for ages (liverpool fans on the bbc board said best travelling support so far, which includeds manure and chelsea) and people still have to find the negative  mad.gif

353573[/snapback]

And also you were singing an octave or two off. biggrin.gif Well done lads who cares about the broken leg song, just a bit of fun I'm sure. Cisse's answer was pretty clear though I imagine.

As has been said before (sorry, can't remember who by), is our hard reputation going before us? Which was the more dangerous/cynical/professional/cardworthy foul yesterday - by Jimmy Asylumseeker or Essien? What would have happened if they'd been in the other game?

I'm not that much of a conspiracy theorist yet to be convinced that refs make an active effort against some clubs but the evidence is becoming greater by the game that many officials have a lower 'card/foul threshold' for us.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.