BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Liverpool 1-0 Rovers

Good defensive display by Rovers, made it very hard for Liverpool and it took a very good strike for them to take the lead. They created more after the goal and it could have been two or three towards to end. But credit to Rovers for having to play against 12 men.

Most home biased ref I've seen for a good long while. He was awful.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad we lost.  No one will like this but I'm afraid the goal was terrible goalkeeping.  Friedal was at least 2 feet too far to his left, poor poor positioning.  I could have put a ball through that gap.

353463[/snapback]

He was in the right place prior to the kick, but didn't move to reposition himself when it was laid off. 30 yard shots straight down the middle shouldn't go in, no matter how hard they are hit. The spill from Riise was also very poor.

I thought otherwise that the defense did their job well today. Before the sending off, I feared the worst as Tugay, Bentley and MGP were collectively doing next to nothing. And anyone who doubts what Lily brings to the team should have seen him today.

I'm really ###### off at the referee's performance today. I was absolutely livid. Take the card away today and it was a performance that could have easily snatched three points.

I felt very disappointed for the boys as they could really not be faulted for their performance. But perhaps dropping Bentley would be a wise move, because he is a very anonymous player, and really isn't bring Lucas Neill into the game, and we all know that Neill is a threat attacking from the wing when he's on his game.

He was in the right place prior to the kick, but didn't move to reposition himself when it was laid off. 30 yard shots straight down the middle shouldn't go in, no matter how hard they are hit. The spill from Riise was also very poor.

I thought otherwise that the defense did their job well today. Before the sending off, I feared the worst as Tugay, Bentley and MGP were collectively doing next to nothing. And anyone who doubts what Lily brings to the team should have seen him today.

353466[/snapback]

I agree, Robbie Savage did very well today, I particularly liked the time when he alone had 3 successive tackles, beginning to like him. All this talk of boring Premiership, well if they want to improve it fix the officiating (no pun intended) The match was shaping up to be rather entertaining until we went down to 10, I think Halsey felt he had to do something as he had just changed his mind on a penalty. Mmmm Halsey thinks, I know I'll send him off that will keep the scousers happy. I am sick of seeing it week after week after week.

FA Bloody well do something.

Unfortunately I missed the game on Canal + up until a minute before the sending off so can't comment onto the game up to that point.

Thereafter with 10 v 11 it was difficult to draw any meaningful conclusions for the rest of the season. Liverpool were as dire as we know they are. We defended reasonably well but were poor at keeping possession when we got it.

Terible decision by Halsey to give a red. Clear foul and a yellow but the Liverpool player was headed away from goal.

Individually as at Old Trafford, thought it was extremely poor keeping again by Friedel for the opposition goal. A well struck but fairly routine shot in the middle of the goal shouldn't be going in. To compound that he spilled another shot straight to Morientes right in front of goal with 5 minutes to go. Not good enough.

Tugay, MGP and Bentley didn't contribute to the action I saw at all. Kuqi played like he had Robbie Blake's famous deep sea diving boots on. Neill played well but was snarling at the ref every time a free kick was awarded andc sure enough eventually picked up yet another needless yellow for yapping.

Man of the match for us by far was Savage who closed Liverpool down superbly second half.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

FA Bloody well do something.

353468[/snapback]

Heard a story this week about the FA charging a ref with not applying the laws of the game correctly. (Think it related to not sending off Keith Gillespie after the final whistle)

Same should happen (but won't) to Halsey.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

Too bad we lost.  No one will like this but I'm afraid the goal was terrible goalkeeping.  Friedal was at least 2 feet too far to his left, poor poor positioning.   I could have put a ball through that gap.

353463[/snapback]

from the view behind cisse's shot brad couldn't see the ball from cisse's feet, which makes the shot very hard to save. He should have moved across when the kick was tapped, but i'm not sure he could see that had happened straight away.

He also spilled Riise's shot late on that swung in the air.

But he also made 2 or 3 very good saves that weren't world class but kept us in the game, which is what you want.

Can't really blame brad for losing the game today. That pleasure is all Mr Halsey's

edit: rock steady that picture just shows it was a foul, which most people agree with. It's the placing of the players and foul that are questionable, with nelsen covering, it being out of the box and cisse running away from the goal it was very very very harsh!

Edited by modes98

Just got in from the game and a Im happy with the performance we put up. Cisse missed good opportunities from set pieces in the first half. But, it dosn't take a rocket scientist to work out that the red card changed the game.

Couldn't really see anything where we were sat/stood, but, it looked a definate foul and thats all I can say without seeing replays etc. But, regardless of the decision, the referee's overall decisions were absolutely appualing. I have not for a long time, seen a more biased referee. I do not know how Hughes held his nerve in the interviews because I certainly couldn't. Also, did anyone see Liverpools bald assistant (I think its the assistant) having a go at Hughes because he contested a decision, dare I say that was wrong? Prick... I just hope something gets done.

The never say die attitude and work ethic in the team was something to please the eye, and the contribution midfield, (Bentley aside whom I thought like someone else stated, was pretty anonymous) was superb.

Some general points though:

For a club whose supporters follow one of the best teams in Europe (According to their recent Champions league win,) they were absolutely shocking. Easily one of the worst home fans I have seen for some time. And people call Ewood...

The Liverpool team is disgraceful. Steven Gerrard must make a supreme difference because the time that was out today was mid-table at best. How much has Benitez spent????

Im too gutted to really ponder anymore, so, I'll leave it at that.

Not too down about the game. We were fine until the referee decided he wanted his name in the papers tomorrow. With 11 men i dont think we would have lost. How Liverpool could pay £21 million for Crouch and Cisse i will never know, presonally i would rather have Bill and Ben upfront. Knew Cisse wouold score as soon as we started singing about his leg but it was funny.

Bellamy back next saturday and i'm sure we will bounce straight back.

Yeh just knew Cisse would score when Rovers fans started singing "Cisse Cisse How's your leg"

Unfortunately the Liverpool fans taunted us with the same song after he scored.

That'll teach us not to wind up the opposition until we've got a result.

Liverpool pretty poor, I'm sure that with a fit Bellamy and 11 men we would have come away from Anfield with all the points. sad.gif

Is anyone else worried with Brad this season:

If there was anyone to blame for Liverpools goal, It was Friedel I'm afraid.

Thats 2 away games in a row where he has gifted the oposition a goal.

Maybe he's getting complacent after signing his new contract. Because I'm actually getting nervous with him in goal now.Positioning has been average, claiming the ball has been weak and he must have spilt the ball about 4 times already this season

Edited by greggyk

The chant was unbelievable. We'd dodged the bullet in Crouch not scoring, I can't believe we felt the need to annoy another striker. He should have been booked for his reaction but you can hardly blame him.

I thought we started the best of the two teams. We kept the ball reasonably well and the Liverpool defence were very worried in possession against two harrying strikers who don't give you a minutes rest. Kuqi is never going to score many spectacular individual goals or outpace defenders but he gives them other types of problems and he was effective with Dickov doing the same thing. He also won his fair share of headers.

I'll have to see a replay before I comment on the sending off. It looked a definite foul and had it been at the other end no doubt we'd be bemoaning the "weak" ref for giving a home decision had he not sent the player off.

After that it was always going to be a case of 1 point or nothing. Kuqi's game doesn't work when he's so isolated up front on his own. He needs a partner or runners from midfield. We didn't have the set-up to provide him with either.

We defended well for the main. Savage was our best player. He made us competitive despite the fact that MGP, Tugay and Bentley all did next to nothing. The defence were all strong, and Toddy didn't look too bad for his lack of first-team action. Will be interesting to see what happens now and whether he will regain the captains armband.

We spotted how the goal was going to happen before it went in. Cisse was ready for the shift but Blackburn weren't. It didn't appear to go in a corner. I know he hits them hard, but I'd really expect a goalkeeper of Brad's quality to at least get behind it. Seemed to be beaten all too easily.

I saw enough to suggest that with a full strength side we should be capable of a top ten place. It took Liverpool some time to get into the game. This will partly be down to the fact that we were playing their reserves, but we should also take some credit. The sending off killed the game as a spectacle and practically ended our chances of winning.

Friedel - Some decent stops but suspect for the goal and didn't catch a lot. 6

Neill - Solid enough and some excellent timewasting. 7

Zura - Unlucky to be sent off but maybe should have let cisse go out wide. 6

Nelsen - Composed as usual. 8

Gray - Gave the ball away for the red card. Mixture of good and bad. 7

Bentley - Didn't do anything really. Couldn't hold onto the ball. 5

Savage - Immense pressuring. Is becoming more valuable with every game. 8

Tugay - Like at Old Trafford, didn't really do enough. 6

MGP - Some decent touches in the first half, and shouldn't have been replaced by Emerton, but still poor. 6

Dickov - Was doing well before being sacrificed. 7

Kuqi - Won a lot in the air and worked tirelessly up front on his own. A bigger threat than Stead. 7

I think we'll be alright, but in order to make the most of our season we need to keep Bellamy fit and win more of our home games.

Yeh just knew Cisse would score when Rovers fans started singing "Cisse Cisse How's your leg"

Unfortunately the Liverpool fans taunted us with the same song after he scored.

That'll teach us not to wind up the opposition until we've got a result.

Unfortunately I had to sit near the moronic element who started the chant. I hope they're proud of themselves- they cost us at least a point today, but then I've been saying a similar thing all season.

If you want to gloat, wait till the game's won. Taunt players from the opposing team at 3-0 (although not with such a sickening chant as that one) if you must, but button it until then. Oh and Cisse's reaction- the goal and after- was 100% justified.

It was obvious to those of us with some taste and decency that the "young team" at the back had left their collective brain cell at home. I've never enjoyed a game less, nor felt that we deserved to lose more. (Not the team- they deserved more- but the pathetic but vocal minority of fans deserved less than nothing)

Just seen the penalty decision on MOTD and it was never a penalty, nor a sending off. He just about took the player down, but he was running away from the goal and Nelsen was covering in the centre.

Saying that, just after Warnock won a free kick, he ran into the box and was taken down by eitehr Gray or Pedersen, but nothing was given.

Edited by tcj_jones

Well we did alright in my opinion. MOTD even gave us a good review, agreed that it wasn't a sending off and that it ruined the game for us. We never really stood a chance after that so there's no point even looking into the rest of it.

Stupid chant.

I've been thinking of a way of educating our "quiormasters" recently. I applaud anyone for trying to generate the atosphere, but recently we've been made to look right numpties by them.

A few examples.

Huddersfield Games.

1-0 up after looking the poorer side to a D1 team is NOT the time to sing EASY ! Anyone watching Rovers any length of time will know that even 3-0 up to 10 mins to go is still tempting fate.

Singing "Small Town In Yorkshire" to Burnley is funny, it's a humerous insult. Singing it to a team who are in fact FROM a small town in yorkshire is a silly as singing "you play in blue and white stripes you do".

"Are you Burnley in disguise" to a team from a division below them ? We don't sing "Are you Juventus in disguise" to West Brom do we ?

Liverpool

"Worst Support We've Ever Seen", to a FULL and LARGE stadium, genius. "Worst Support We've Ever Heard" makes more sense.

"Have you one the Premier League", whilst now very dated at least makes sense. Singing "Stand Up if you've one the league" and "What's it like to win #### all" to a team with 18 top flight league titles and 5 European Cups is just silly.

...... I have other examples, but that will do for tonight.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.