BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England International Games

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of me wants England to lose both games then Sven can get sacked and England can still qualify through the playoffs. We still go to Germany but with a chance of winning if we don't have Sven.

351551[/snapback]

You guys will never be happy with your side, the fact of the matter is that you don't have a snowballs chance in hell of winning the world cup regardless of who your manager is.

I saw last night that if we beat Austria and Holland beat Czech rep then we qualify anyway in the runner up spot. I thought with eight groups there was no best runner up thus there must be 2 best runner up slots so the chances are that a victory on Sat will see us thru. So for all you Sven knockers he will still be in charge. Lets face it a change of manager will not win or lose us the world cup we will go out in the qf or sf no matter who we have in charge.

Well if Greece can win the European championships, and the likes of South Korea and Turkey get to the final 4- it proves just what a good manager can do with a bunch of average players. So maybe Norway have a chance!!!!!

351556[/snapback]

'tis the truth. There will be so much pressure on Brazil, as easily the best team, that if they can't handle it, then anyone can win this World Cup.

I always want England to win. Sven is a bit mystifying but you have to stick it through. We could go on all day about what he should do but the bare facts, unfortunately, for us are that we are 2 or 3 players short of winning the World Cup. Our left back is out so Phil Neville may get another chance to cock something up. We have no left winger at all, and haven't had since Barnes and Waddle. Our strikeforce has two exceptional players, Owen and Rooney, but they do not play well together so Sven brings in the only "traditional" English centre forward we have; Peter Crouch. The same goes for central midfield. We have 3 very good players in Beckham, Lampard, and Gerrard. Beckham is getting on a bit and will probably play wide but the other two clowns are too similar and they are not clever enough to think; "oh, well he can do that so maybe I should change my game a little and have a little discipline". World class should mean being able to adapt for the cause. If you are a Lampard or Gerrard fan what do you do? Play one only, or tell one of them to hold regardless of how it might affect them. Who else do we have in the middle who can hold? Jenas? Smith?

Greece did well because they played to a system and believed in each other. England can never be like that because of all the egos involved and the horrible national press. Euro 2004; Gerrard couldn't concentrate because agents were tapping him up. Arsenal and Man U players have learned to hate each other. The predictable North-South divide also plays a part. Must go my computer is acting up.

Well if Greece can win the European championships, and the likes of South Korea and Turkey get to the final 4- it proves just what a good manager can do with a bunch of average players. So maybe Norway have a chance!!!!!

351556[/snapback]

nope, we don't stand a chance. You have a good manager, the problem is that your stupid press are calling for his head everytime you don't win a match with 2 or 3 goals.

What is Sven's stats as England's manager btw?

Edited by krislu

Considering the opposition in the majority ogf games, it's hardly that impressive. On so many occasions the players have played well and we have gone ahead, but Erikkson has played stupidly defensive tactics and we have come away with nothing. Now he just seems to want to play as many people out of position as he can.

The guy is an absolutely inept manager.

Krislu. Sven earns £5m a year, and for that £5m he should be doing a lot more than just reaching World Cup and Euro Champ's finals. If he was on a sensible amount, I could maybe accept him reaching just the Q/F's of these tournaments but for the money he 'earns' I expect him to do something special at these events and to do that little bit more than England can safely achieve.

He also fails to understand the word 'tactics'. Against Brazil in 02, England were 2-1 down with 40mins to go and Bazil were down to 10 men. Despite this, England still never decided to attack the Brazilian defence(which included the great Roque Junior) and failed to create a single chance. We may aswell had Harry Basset working for free, in charge and we still would have done exactly the same.

In 04, England went 1-0 up against Portugal early on with Rooney going off soon after injured. Next thing he does, was to bring on Darius Vassel. Now, Vassel is a good player but is to similar to Owen meaning there would be no way we could hold up the ball and create chances. Sven also decided that it would be best for England to defend for the remaining 80mins. Everyone knows what happened next and we were actually lucky to even equalise.

Another thing that bugs me about Sven, is his decision to bring on holding midfielder when we are losing. ie aginst Portugal in Phil Neville and Hargreaves against Ireland.

SACK THE SPUD!!

thats a typical preston attitude, how can you want England to lose these games ?

that is of course unless your irish or scottish or indeed welsh or a johnny foreigner ohmy.gif

351555[/snapback]

Nope i'm as English as they come, just fed up with boring, negative football(for club and country) and want to see a manager in charge who has passion and knows exactly how it feels to be an England fan.

I would like to see Rio "100 grand a week isn't enough" Ferdinand dropped from the team against Austira and a partnership of John Terry and Sol Campbell selected for the game.

Ferdinand has been in poor form of late and was probably to blame for the two goals Fulham scored against United at the Cottage last Saturday.

I feel that England will qualify for the World Cup despite the tactical blunderings of Mr Eriksson. We should be able to beat Austria. (Mind you, we should have beaten Northern Ireland too.)

I was disgusted at the reported comments of Alan Smith, who prior to the squad being announced, said that he was "not bothered" if he didn't get picked for England.

Smith said: "I don't expect to be in the squad for the two World Cup qualifiers and I won't be losing any sleep over it. If I don't get to play for England again then I'm not bothered. My priority is Manchester United pure and simple."

Bobby Moore must be turning in his grave at the attitude of this nauseating Yorkshire lout. In Bobby's day it was an honour and a privilege to play for your country and pull on the three lions shirt.

But for Leeds United badge-kisser Smith, he "isn't bothered". I'm disappointed that Sven has picked the treacherous git for the squad.

I bet that Sir Alf Ramsey wouldn't have selected a treacherous player like Smith - someone who openly kisses his team-mates on the lips. Whatever next - tongues involved and shorts pulled down...? ohmy.gif

user posted image

But at least Sven didn't pick the lumbering Brummie donkey for the squad again....

user posted image

I would like to see Rio "100 grand a week isn't enough" Ferdinand dropped from the team against Austira and a partnership of John Terry and Sol Campbell selected for the game.

Ferdinand has been in poor form of late and was probably to blame for the two goals Fulham scored against United at the Cottage last Saturday.

I feel that England will qualify for the World Cup despite the tactical blunderings of Mr Eriksson. We should be able to beat Austria. (Mind you, we should have beaten Northern Ireland too.)

I was disgusted at the reported comments of Alan Smith, who prior to the squad being announced, said that he was "not bothered" if he didn't get picked for England.

Smith said: "I don't expect to be in the squad for the two World Cup qualifiers and I won't be losing any sleep over it. If I don't get to play for England again then I'm not bothered. My priority is Manchester United pure and simple."

Bobby Moore must be turning in his grave at the attitude of this nauseating Yorkshire lout. In Bobby's day it was an honour and a privilege to play for your country and pull on the three lions shirt.

But for Leeds United badge-kisser Smith, he "isn't bothered". I'm disappointed that Sven has picked the treacherous git for the squad.

I bet that Sir Alf Ramsey wouldn't have selected a treacherous player like Smith - someone who openly kisses his team-mates on the lips. Whatever next - tongues involved and shorts pulled down...?  ohmy.gif

user posted image

But at least Sven didn't pick the lumbering Brummie donkey for the squad again....

user posted image

351626[/snapback]

I disagree here AESF sorry, as much a tool Smith is I get his saying, if he does not expect to be picked, why lose sleep over it?

As for Campbell, in my eyes Carragher has earnt his chance to impress regularly for as long as I can remember.

p.s. sexymalecelebs eh? jesus where you manage to find that...

Edited by dan_mark_furness

Nope i'm as English as they come, just fed up with boring, negative football(for club and country) and want to see a manager in charge who has passion and knows exactly how it feels to be an England fan.

351597[/snapback]

Like Kevin Keegan ?

I've said it before, you have the players, but not the coach for England. Although playing certain players out of position and not really with a positive frame of mind will go against you, as well as underestimating the opposition (trying a new relatively untested formation against Wales / N Ireland?).

Still, I expect England to qualify (playoffs or otherwise), and expect Sven to leave/sacked AFTER the World Cup (going out in the quarters).

As for my countries (Scotland / Italy) at least one of them will be there, although both would be better. And the way Scotland are playing, certainly bodes well for the future . . . for a change tongue.gif

Might pop into Blues to watch it.

351563[/snapback]

Same offer in Blues Bar for Saturday's game as previous England matches, Carling and Worthies are £1.90 a pint an hour before the game until the first goal is scored or half time comes around

Free sandwiches at half-time.

I am sure it can't be just me, but the whole Eriksson and England circus leaves me cold.

Just as the season is starting to get some momentum we all have to stop so the Swede can earn around 500k of his salary. I am a proud Englishmen, nobody was happier than me when the Ashes came home, and I am not against the England football team, over the years they have provided us with many exciting moments.

Yet this side are different. The attitude of the players seem wrong, playing for England should be the pinnacle of a pro footballers career, but it seems a distraction- Alan Smith for example. The likes of Lampard and Gerrard seem to lack dedication- so there's no natural holding midfielder? Should'nt the players work it out themselves or with the manager a way round such a problem? What does he do to earn his money??? Leaving London to watch a weekend game seems less and less part of it.

His unbelievable 'big club' bias continues. Heskey never missed a squad in 5 years, as soon as he went to Brum-straight out, this would still be the case if it was'nt for suspensions and positional changes. The said Smith, did not have a look in at Leeds, even though he was the talisman of the side, off he went to to United and in he goes. Danny Murphy has been widely acknowldeged as one of the stars of the season so far, if he had done the same at his last club there is no doubt he would have been called up. This was brought to a head by the inclusion of Liverpool's Warnock this week. I am sure he is a decent young defender, but if he was a Rover, do any of us think he would be anywhere near the squad?

By treating friendly matches with such disdain, he is also taking the mickey out of the thousands of loyal fans that travel to EVERY game.

The England team was always one to be proud of, 1966 aside, we could always be sure that the team gave everything to the cause- Italia 90 and Euro 96 to name but two. We felt that the players hurt like we did after those gallant exits.

Do you think the same could be said of this present side?

I largely have the same outlook Matty. For example, as soon as N. Ireland scored, I was rooting for them, as England were moribond, bereft of ideas and tactical skill. There was no energy in the team, and the players seemed to just drift to defeat, and not fight and strive to win. The internationals should indeed be the height of a players career, but thanks to a bunch of greedy clubs, an inept governing body, and coach as exciting as a flat packed table, England is secondary to the whims of the big clubs.

The 100k p/w posers who play for England should be ditched, and shown the Ashes series or the 2003 Rugby World Cup.

Maybe it's about time for an alternative to the World Cup. League football seems to be the most important thing for most players and fans, so how about a tourney with a Premiership Select XI versus their equivalents from Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Brazil etc? They could specify a maximum of two or three players from each club, to distinguish it from the Champs League.

I could definitely live without hearing a bunch of thugs chanting In-ger-lund ever again.

Maybe it's about time for an alternative to the World Cup. League football seems to be the most important thing for most players and fans, so how about a tourney with a Premiership Select XI versus their equivalents from Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Brazil etc? They could specify a maximum of two or three players from each club, to distinguish it from the Champs League.

I could definitely live without hearing a bunch of thugs chanting In-ger-lund ever again.

351741[/snapback]

Might work for the English, Italian and Spanish teams, but it would be a joke to see a German select with only 2/3 Bayern players, or a dutch select with only 2 or 3 PSV players....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.