BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sven Caught Again

vyeo

Unbelievable. Former Scotland and Nob End boss Craig Brown has put forward a candidate for the England job..........Terry Butcher.

"'Terry failed at Coventry and Sunderland but I've been really impressed by what he has done at Motherwell, where he has had to manage on a shoestring."

Yes Craig that's who we want managing England...someone who failed at Coventry and Sunderland. Maybe we should give Peter Reid a go too eh?

Brown backs Butcher for England job

Hiddink's agent is tarting his fella about..."There's been no contact but he would definitely be interested in hearing from the FA,' Van Nieuwenhuizen told BBC Radio Five Live."

Hiddink agent signals interest in England

Although a good coach, Hiddink is slightly overrated at international level. Taking South Korea to the semis and then helping the Aussies qualify for the first time since the Doomsday Book was being compiled sounds great but they had a fair size of luck to them. No way did South Korea deserve to reach the last four. Both the wins against Spain and Italy contained dubious refereeing decisions. Australia only went through on penalties. Good manager but not quite the messiah.

The likes of Hitzfeld, Ferguson and Capello have acheived far more. Personally I'd like O'Neill, who has a consistent track of raising middling or underperforming teams out from mediocrity.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

philipl, when I hit "reply to you this is what I get.........

Dave, its a coded message. Because of the Ozzie contract the agent cannot say he can leave Australia so he's said he can leave PSV. The message is out loud and clear- he's available for the England job. And how much compensation would the FA have to pay to get him out of the Oz job?

Not a lot in the context of the money Eriksson is on.

Unfortunately for Australia, I am all too right on this one.

You will have to hope this won't happen.

Unfortunately, News International has plenty of reasons of its own to thoroughly besmerch English football before the World Cup.

I think it is a decent bet that SGE will be gone from the England job next week.

Why?

Brian Barwick played the NoTW game yesterday appearing at that press conference with Eriksson saying nice things about each other.

To be credible, the fake sheikh would have had to have asked about Sven's FA contract, how the FA would react to Sven leaving two years early, likely compensation levels etc etc.

In the process, they must have talked about SGE's relationship with Barwick, what they think about him, any hints for negotiating the best deal for releasing him from the FA (suggest Sven gets a bonus if they pay as little comp as possible...), then get him to talk about how the FA works, the personalities there, the FA Council (always good for a laugh) and round off with a bit of joshing about Pallios and Faria...

The NoTW are going to make the FA look right plonkers on Sunday.

Let's see....  jim, where are you?

377727[/snapback]

Interesting comment there philipl. Bet that wasn't included in your google wink.gif

A for the coded message, there simply isn't one. Ax Neekoy say, I believe that Guus is an honourable man, he may take the job after the WC, but not before.

I think it is a decent bet that SGE will be gone from the England job next week.

377727[/snapback]

My thoughts too.

Eriksson looked a relieved man at yesterday's press conference, as though the weight of the world was off his shoulders at the prospect of leaving.

If he could find an excuse to go tomorrow (one more revelation by the Screws should do it) I'm sure he would, and the FA would not be against him going now either. There is still five months to go until the World Cup finals.

The problem is the FA want Hiddink and he is contracted to the light-fingered mob until after the World Cup. What price McClaren to take temporary charge in Germany ?

There is a lot of pressure for an English born Manager but given McClaren is Sven's number 2, no campaign for McClaren (thankfully!).

I cannot see McClaren getting it unless the FA want to be burnt down the first time England under-perform under his stewardship.

Boro have two banana skin fixtures in the next seven days- Coventry (who hit Derby for six and are suddenly going well) away in the FA Cup and Sunderland (who have been playing well in the last few games) away in the Prem. If Boro win those two nobody will notice but a loss in either game will do for McClaren if SGE goes next week.

All the press on SGE is reading like an obit at the moment.

Peter Taylor would be my choice. Done a great job with the under 21s, obviously has loads of international experience, most of the players will know him already (and he them) from that level, and he's already an employee at the FA.

Get some good coaches in alongside him and I think he'd be ideal.

Sorry to depress everyone but I did suggest that a couple of weeks ago.

Far from just being a serious contender, he's the ONLY British citizen who is a serious contender in my opinion.

And he might get the job next week, gulp.

As for Peter Taylor, I read down the ranking of English managers and gave up when I got to Steve Cotterill with Taylor nowhere in sight. He's a good lad- some London Rovers will remember him being on the train with us when he was Manager of Dover. Definite qualification to manage England I would have thought.

Edited by philipl

I'm just saying if the emphasis is on a British manager I think it is really an emphasis on an English manager. If they don't care about him being English then I don't think Hughes is the best man for the job, Hiddink is.

Sorry to depress everyone but I did suggest that a couple of weeks ago.

Far from just being a serious contender, he's the ONLY British citizen who is a serious contender in my opinion.

And he might get the job next week, gulp.

377825[/snapback]

His record wasn't that great with Wales. Although he had a good period it ended woefully, with many fans blaming his negative tactics (one man up front at home) for failing to reach the Euros. Hughes also went 12 matches without a win during his time with Wales which equalled their worst ever run.

Hughes is not a serious contender...at least not yet anyway. The likes of Allardyce and Curbishley have acheived more and are also English. Not that I'd want them either but still...Hughes needs to carry on in the same manner so we should be safe (for a while) of him being poached by either Man U or England.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Definite qualification to manage England I would have thought.

377825[/snapback]

Peter Taylor's only qualification is he's English. Like Allardyce, Curbishley and McClaren, he would hardly be an inspirational appointment.

The FA would be ridiculed even more than usual if it appointed Hughes.

There's alot of xenophobic nonsense being spouted at present by Gordon Taylor in particular and alot of leading players.

The best qualified man for the job in terms of experience, coaching skills and standing in the game is Hiddink.

Edited by jim mk2

I think every Rover on this board apart from the upside down persuasion would fervently agree with you Eddie.

But given the absence of any high quality English contenders (and let's be honest, there aren't any), Welsh is nowhere near as big a no-no as Scottish.

O'Neill's wife is sadly still desperately ill so Hughes is the only contender worth looking at who holds a British passport.

And unlike any of the English contenders bar McClaren, he does know his way around OT, Stamford Bridge and played in the same Manc team as two members of Sven's little Manc mafia.

He presents himself superbly in terms of media interviews, is not roundly hated by a lot of people like Big Sam is, has a far more relevant managerial CV for the job than Jewell or Pardew, and has not yet flattered to deceive in club management the way Curbishly has.

Having Todd, Belamy and Savage in the team without a squeak out of them must be impressing Soho Square and scares the daylights out of me for what we will do if he gets the England job.

Oops, jim missed the irony button. rolleyes.gif

Yes I was seriously advocating management of Dover as a career path for England. smile.gif

Edited by philipl

Why would they appoint Hughes? What has he achieved? Not so much so far. Rovers under him is still a work in progress. Allardyce has made Bolton a top six side by spending little money and has them in Europe. Also, he's not widely hated at all, he's just a moaner. Everyone still respects what he has done at Bolton. Curbishley made Charlton a team that resides usually in the top half. Jewell took Bradford up to the Premiership and kept them there before following that up with Wigan's rise. Those three have done, at the very least, as much as Hughes. Plus, they're English.

Hughes is doing wonders for us but it is still early days yet and his record at Wales will count against him. Coming close to qualification before whimpering out is not good enough to manage England, which could be the best-paid job in football again for the right manager.

Think you are viewing this too much through blue and white specs Philip... wink.gif

Edited by FourLaneBlue

IOops, jim missed the irony button. rolleyes.gif

Yes I was seriously advocating management of Dover as a career path for England. smile.gif

377834[/snapback]

Ooops, philip missed the stupid button withstupid.gif .

O'Neill would be linked with every top job going were he available yet he started at Wycombe Wanderers. They all begin somewhere.

The "irony" is Taylor may get the job by default because of the inadequacies of the other English candidates.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.