SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sven Caught Again

vyeo

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JoeyBN...... Sven has been victimised and witch-hunted by the media just like every other England manager (bar Greenwood and Mercer) since Walter Winterbottom.  However if he was any good this trumped up situation would never have happened.   

but

1. Whoever decide to offer him a ludicrous contract at 4m per annum (more than twice the salary of any other national manager at Euro 2004!!!) until 2008 should be potted too. 

2.  Peter Kenyon should be blamed / ostracised in some way for his contribution.

3.  If it is now decided that Svens indiscretions are enough for him to go after the world cup then he should go NOW and asap.  More atrociously weak management by the FA and especially so when one of our opponents is bloody Sweden ffs!

as for THAT game..........If my memory serves me correctly we did not even have a shot on goal once Brazil went down to 10 men!  That is unforgivable.  Even the manager of a park football team would have changed tactics when confronted with such a straightforward  situation.

377423[/snapback]

I thought broken records went out with the advent of CD.

Let's face our World Cup chances are ruined and its because of our media.

His position has been made untenable because he was stitched up. I doubt the players even batted an eyelid.

I feel really sick about this, we had something good and now its been ruined.

After Sven has gone we will remember what its like not to have a world class manager.

At least now when we get to the world cups (easily) we are respected by every team in the world.

It wasnt like that when messrs Hoddle/Keegan etc. were in charge.

Let's face our World Cup chances are ruined and its because of our media.

377601[/snapback]

Because of :-

(1) A part of our media

(2) A greedy, overpaid, immoral, oversexed, smug, unprofessional and naive man.

We still have a fair chance of reaching the latter stages of the World Cup, but Sven has made this prospect somewhat harder than it might have been.

Top 25 English Managers (In order of league position)

1. Paul Jewell (Wigan 6th in Premiership)

2. Sam Allardyce (Bolton 7th in Premiership)

3. Alan Pardew (West Ham 9th in Premiership)

4. Stuart Pearce (Man City 10th in Premiership)

5. Alan Curbishley (Charlton 11th in Premiership)

6. Bryan Robson (West Brom 15th in Premierhip)

7. Steve McLaren (Middlesbrough 17th in Premiership)

8. Steve Bruce (Birmingham 18th in Premiership)

9. Harry Redknapp (Portsmouth 19th in Premiership)

10. Mick McCarthy (Sunderland 20th in Premiership)

11. Steve Coppell (Reading 1st in Championship)

12. Neil Warnock (Sheffield United 2nd in Championship)

13. Kevin Blackwell (Leeds 3rd in Championship)

14. Ade Boothroyd (Watford 4th in Championship)

15. Glenn Hoddle (Wolverhampton 8th in Championship)

16. Mike Newell (Luton 9th in Championship)

17. Steve Cotterill (Burnley 10th in Championship)

18. Nigel Worthington (Norwich 11th in Championship)

19. Ian Holloway (QPR 12th in Championship)

20. Joe Royle (Ipswich 14th in Championship)

21. Micky Adams (Coventry 15th in Championship)

22. Peter Taylor (Hull 17th in Championship)

23. Phil Brown (Derby 18th in Championship)

24. Tony Pullis (Plymouth 19th in Championship)

25. David Tuttle (Millwall 23rd in Championship)

377533[/snapback]

That is absolutely staggering. 25 English managers out of around 80 clubs? Isn't Mick McCarthy Irish, or did one of his grandparents have a pint of guiness once? Steve Cotterill 17th best!?! Shocking.

That is absolutely staggering.  25 English managers out of around 80 clubs?  Isn't Mick McCarthy Irish, or did one of his grandparents have a pint of guiness once?  Steve Cotterill 17th best!?!  Shocking.

377667[/snapback]

I think it's just the top 25 English managers. McCarthy is English; just one of the reasons Roy Keane hated him.

It's fascinating, that lot have managed about one League Cup between them(McClaren), though there are promotions(and relegations) aplenty. Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time an English manager rose above mediocrity.

It's all hugely entertaining for anyone who's not English I suppose. tongue.gif

Edited by pjk

That is absolutely staggering.  25 English managers out of around 80 clubs?  Isn't Mick McCarthy Irish, or did one of his grandparents have a pint of guiness once?  Steve Cotterill 17th best!?!  Shocking.

377667[/snapback]

If you want to get technical, it's 25 out of 43...

(2) A greedy, overpaid, immoral, oversexed, smug, unprofessional and naive man.

377613[/snapback]

Here, here. I can recall posting on the MB when SGE was appointed it would end in tears, and now it has. Any Rovers fan should know SGE is a greedy, avaricious, self-centred and fundamentally dishonest individual. I'm delighted he is going, it's just a shame it's taken so long.

This isn't a question of not wanting a foreigner to manage England, simply that he was never fit for the jhob and should never have been appointed. As for a replacement? I doubt very much if it will be an Englishman, there simply isn't anyone with the experience or, importantly, the reputation to excite the public/fans. Allardyce, Curbishley, McClaren etc. big deal.

I would like the FA and/or SGE to explain what happened to the original plan for an English coach to work alongside Erickson and to be his ultimate replacement?

It's all hugely entertaining for anyone who's not English I suppose.  tongue.gif

377671[/snapback]

Very much so, here you have a pig of a man but out and out the best manager you have available and the English can't stop trying to hang him up high.

If ANY of those 25 English manager named is brought in, England will not go past the first knockout round. None of them have even succeded at domestic level, let alone leading the nation out to battle on the biggest stage of them all.

They will be eaten alive, save for one or two showreel moments from Rooney

Don't laugh too soon. Guus Hidinck's agent yesterday was explaining that his client has a clause in his PSV contract which says that if a big club wants to talk to him, they can do.

Call me cynical but the timing and coding is saying to the FA that he is available for the England job now if they have to get rid of Eriksson.

He also has a contract with the Football Federation of Australia that finishes after the World Cup.

Now, If the the English FA want to pay that out (with suitable compensation) then it might be the case that Hiddink will become the England Manager prior to the World Cup.

Until then, carry on dreaming........

Here, here. I can recall posting on the MB when SGE was appointed it would end in tears, and now it has. Any Rovers fan should know SGE is a greedy, avaricious, self-centred and fundamentally dishonest individual. I'm delighted he is going, it's just a shame it's taken so long.

377697[/snapback]

I think this is a bit harsh. I mean he f-d over Rovers, which I detest him for, but in the grand scheme of things I don't think he has been any more 'immoral' than any football manager or, indeed, the average human being.

He kept his eyes out for new jobs. Whats wrong with that? Why should he be sentimental when the FA and te English public would happly kick him repeatedly in the balls if he gets two bad results or does something privatel considered out of line. I am sure throughout my working life I will always be keeping half an eye out to see if the grass is greener somewhere else.

He shagged about a bit. Not something that I am exactly 'for' as such but whats the problem? The footballers do it, fans do it, i am sure newspaper editiors do it. Absolutely no bearing on his ability to, ahem, perform as manager

Got mediocre results. Actually has got very good results in competitive games. I don't buy that we would of done any better with any other manager to be honest. Speculative, I know, but I just can't see an other candidate doing much more.

Dishonest, self centred etc etc etc. see- Brian Clough, Glenn Hoddle, George Graham, Terry Venables, Arsene Wenger, Alex Ferguson, Graham Souness, Jose Mourinho, Steve Bruce...

How many more years before anybody of any quality refuses the England post? I suppose a true patriot would find it hard to turn it down but really it just seems impossible.

Does anyone remember the utter mess that Keegan, the man hired because he was a passionate patriot, left us in?

We were not going to qualify for the 2002 Worldcup, Sven came in, steadied the ship - stuffed the Germans - and got to the quarter finals losing, disapointingly to the Brazilians.

He has many faults - not sorting out the midfield and playing injured/unfit players to name a couple.

But its still a hell of a lot better than playing Gareth Southgate in Central midfield for gods sake.

Dave, its a coded message. Because of the Ozzie contract the agent cannot say he can leave Australia so he's said he can leave PSV. The message is out loud and clear- he's available for the England job. And how much compensation would the FA have to pay to get him out of the Oz job?

Not a lot in the context of the money Eriksson is on.

Unfortunately for Australia, I am all too right on this one.

You will have to hope this won't happen.

Unfortunately, News International has plenty of reasons of its own to thoroughly besmerch English football before the World Cup.

I think it is a decent bet that SGE will be gone from the England job next week.

Why?

Brian Barwick played the NoTW game yesterday appearing at that press conference with Eriksson saying nice things about each other.

To be credible, the fake sheikh would have had to have asked about Sven's FA contract, how the FA would react to Sven leaving two years early, likely compensation levels etc etc.

In the process, they must have talked about SGE's relationship with Barwick, what they think about him, any hints for negotiating the best deal for releasing him from the FA (suggest Sven gets a bonus if they pay as little comp as possible...), then get him to talk about how the FA works, the personalities there, the FA Council (always good for a laugh) and round off with a bit of joshing about Pallios and Faria...

The NoTW are going to make the FA look right plonkers on Sunday.

Let's see.... jim, where are you?

Edited by philipl

Dave, its a coded message. Because of the Ozzie contract the agent cannot say he can leave Australia so he's said he can leave PSV. The message is out loud and clear- he's available for the England job. And how much compensation would the FA have to pay to get him out of the Oz job?

You will have to hope

377727[/snapback]

No need to hope. Aussie Gus is a genuine man and manager (one of the few left) he will be here until after the World Cup, then maybe you can have a shot at him, but I think post world cup there is a seat waiting for him at Old Trafford.

You will have to hope

377727[/snapback]

If he is a man of decency and honour, which I think Mr Hiddink is, he will see the Aussie's to the world cup. After that he will become available I am sure.

I cannot see him walking out on Australia. That would not only be despicable but also damage his reputation severely.

I again offer to eat my right leg if your speculation (there is so much of it it is hard to keep track!) is proved correct.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.