SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sven Caught Again

vyeo

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that Peter Taylor sharing a bus with philip must have been one of his life highlights, but does his exceptional record with the under 21's not count for anything?

huh.gif  smile.gif

377845[/snapback]

Taylor has his attributes but I don't think the FA would risk more controversy by appointing the Hull City manager instead of three Premiership managers.

Taylor has his attributes but I don't think the FA would risk more controversy by appointing the Hull City manager instead of three Premiership managers.

377851[/snapback]

Why does the national media want an English manager, is it so they (the national media) can pick the team for him, or so they can manipulate him, or is it so they can easily track him down and dig the dirt on him.

Surely the next England manager needs to have an up to date knowledge of world football and not be limited to just managing in England. Mark Hughes certainly comes into his own on that score having managed theWelsh.

But out of the list of English managers surely Peter Taylor has the widest knowledge of the game with his involvement of previously managing England and the under 21's.

Is the FA run by the national media ?

Edited by JAL

Looking at today's back pages, it's obvious from the collective line of the national press that Fleet Steet's finest have got their heads together and decided that they do not want any of the English candidates as the next England manager and that Hiddink is their man.

Allardyce, McClaren and Curbishley may well decide that if they do not have the backing of the press from the start then all the hassle that goes with the England job will not be worth it. Apart from £4 million year of course.

Why does the national media want an English manager, is it so they (the national media) can pick the team for him, or so they can manipulate him, or is it so they can easily track him down and dig the dirt on him.

Surely the next England manager needs to have an up to date knowledge of world football and not be limited to just managing in England. Mark Hughes certainly comes into his own on that score having managed theWelsh.

But out of the list of English managers surely Peter Taylor has the widest knowledge of the game with his involvement of previously managing England and the under 21's.

Is the FA run by the national media ?

377856[/snapback]

Makes no difference. Didn't the media "pick" Venables and Keegan? And look what happened there.

If Martin O'Neill's personal circumstances weren't so trying he would walk into this job - miles ahead of Hiddink and light years ahead of Hughes ! - the perfect compromise between those who want an English manager and those who would look abroad again . Out of the English mob Big Sam carries the best credentials . It doesn't seem to have crossed people's minds that the style of football he favours now have been dependant on resources at Bolton . Didn't Hughes' reign start off as such ?

However, it's a few months into the future before the final decision has to be made . Like it or not , Erickson will lead us in Germany . If Sven looked as though the weight of the world had been lifted from his shoulders in the recent interview it was probably because everything is now in the open , the worst of the NoW revelations are past , his contract pay off has been negotiated , and he can now concentrate on the football . Even he must realise that his future prospects and credibility are now subject to the results of England .

For those trying to poach Aussie Gus of us, thought I would post this excerpt to clear it all up

"But agent Cees van Nieuwenhuizen said: "He is happy with PSV this season and then after this he will concentrate on Australia and the World Cup. He then has one more year with PSV.

"After that if something comes up he will look at it but it does not make sense to comment. There has been no contact.

"There is a reference in his contract if a top club would come by and wanted to have a discussion we are allowed to have that discussion, but in that clause there is not a reference to a federation - except he can go to a World Cup with a federation, in this case Australia."

Unlucky, now bugger off and leave the genius alone tongue.gif

Edited by neekoy

If Sven goes then surely there's a dream ticket combo just waiting to be named...

I'd have Clive Woodward as coach, Duncan Fletcher as director of football, with Freddie Flintoff as fitness coach and post-match refuelling advisor.

self destruct button. Genuine chance of winning the world cup (I personally think Brazil are over-rated simply because they are...Brazil). Yet, for some reason you all intend on

377460[/snapback]

They are not overrated! They've been making the bloody WC Final regularly.

And have you seen the squad they could have for this one? Bloody frightening. And guess which nation was drawn in their group sad.gif

I can't help but feel the FA have made a right pig's ear of this. Thanks in no small part to NOTW. I really can't believe we will get the best out of our players when they know Sven is off. How can he ask for commiment when he is not commited himself.

As for a replacement I just don't think there is an English Manager out there with the Savvy. Big Sam, no way. PEarce has the passion and the pride but little experience.

I don't mind if it is another Foreigner, I mean the Ice has already been broken in that respesct but please oh please let's have someone with a little passion, fire in the belly not some passive, limp wristed, yes man with no testicular fortitude.

Steve Mclaren has just signed a new contract with Boro so thats him out the running (phew)

378748[/snapback]

I don't want him either, I think is has been party to some of Svens problems. He's signed a new contract so Boro and himself can squeeze more money out of the FA if they come calling.

The biggest criteria is that the man we appoint has the respect of the players, otherwise there would be too much devisive whispering between them.

Peter Taylor wouldn't have that respect imo, good manager but the players are so shallow they would dismiss his pedigree because he doesn't manage in the Prem.

Stuart Pearce wouldn't either, he's been a great player and is a passionate manager but passion is not enough at international level, tactically and in eloquence and PR skills he hasn't got it.

Maclaran has even lost the respect of his players at Boro.

Hiddink? Possibly But I dunno whether the FA would fancy another foreigner given the weight of opposition there has been to Svens appointment.

Curbs would prob be the press choice and he would probably be my second choice.

Sam's the man though. imo his tactical understanding and evaluation of the opposition is second to none, he is meticulous in all his preparations, he is eloquent, he commands respect from his players and even from the Billy Big Times, he won't stand for any spice boy behaviour off the pitch, and he is English. Whether he is too strong a character and not enough of a yes man for the FA would be the only thing against his appointment.

ps Sven for the Mags could be a good bet.

The BBC World Service asked for votes from its listeners for the next England Manager.

Hiddink 50%

Scolari 25%

Allardyce 20%

Pearce, Curbishley, Bruce, Jewel shared the remaining 5%

and here's the funny thing- McClaren didn't get a single vote

Anyone seen tomorrow's News of the World yet?

Edited by philipl

Why has Pearce not got it tactically? Is this something to do with his hardman reputation?

And why would Curbishley be the choice of the Press? Notwithstanding teh fact that I've seen no championing of him in the 'papers, he's signed some very ordinary players, sometimes for silly money. For example, Jason Euell for 4.5 million. No thanks.

Not that I'd go a ton on Mclaren either. Although I'm not sure about Big Sam - how would someone like Beckham or Owen take to being coached by a guy who's managed in the lower leagues and taken Bolton into the top flight, and been a largely anonymous central defender as a player?

There's no stand-out candidate for me.

I loved this bit about media corruption:

Another Australian player, who spent some time as a professional in the Balkans, told me another story that was even more worrying: the deeply rooted custom of players and coaches buying off journalists.

Almost every prominent player in that country had a handful of journos on his payroll, and the flavour of the press commentary on his performances depended on the level of pay. If he refused to pay, he could score a hat-trick in a game, each goal with a spectacular overhead scissor kick, and he would still be written up as crap by the unpaid scribes the next day.

This is still rife in some places and it shouldn’t be surprising when one thinks about it.

http://twg1.sbs.com.au/opinions/index.php3?id=67652

Obviously Eriksson hasn't been paying off the journalists! ph34r.giflaugh.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.