Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Battle Of 4th, 5th, 6th Position

Modi

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Race for Europe

--- realistically either Arsenal, Blackburn, Bolton or Spurs could make fourth spot and it threatens to go all the way to the last day of the season.---

Footballing World

394412[/snapback]

Good article, and do like how they've written us. rover.gif

Edited by Ronin

a well good read dillo dillo

the article has the league finishing like this:

FINAL POSITIONS

4 Arsenal 69 points

5 Blackburn 66

6 Spurs 64

7 Bolton 59

they say alot of good points about rovers smile.gif but they also mention our crowds at home sad.gif

they do have arsenal down for a few 3 points which i think they may struggle with depending on their champions league exploits.

i still wants 4th and we can do it!!!

keep the faith rover.giftinykit.gif

Race for 4th -

Top 7 opposition:

Bolton vs

Man Utd (h)

Liverpool (a)

Chelsea (h)

Tottenham (a)

Rovers vs

Liverpool (h)

Chelsea (h)

Arsenal vs

Manchester United (a)

Tottenham (h)

Tottenham vs

Man Utd (h)

Arsenal (a)

Bolton (h)

Id say that we have the easiest run in as far as it goes for playing the top teams and also we aint involved in any 6 pointers that involve any of the other 4th place challengers!

if arsenal somehow win the champs league, 4th spot will also become another uefa spot.

394589[/snapback]

Presumably, though, if Arsenal win the Champions League but finish 7th or lower, then only the 4th and 5th placed teams will go into the UEFA Cup? I know it's unlikley at the moment given Arsenal's form but you never know...

Are we not effectively garanteed some sort of European football next season? We have a chance of qualifying for the champs league, should qualify for the uefa, but with regards to the intertoto, we are that far ahead of the other teams that its fair to say there will b some sort of european footie at ewwod next yr, even if its only in july biggrin.gifrover.gif

I still don't think we'll finish in 4th. Spurs are still doing fairly well, Arsenal have hit form, and Bolton are in an excellent position with two games in hand. There's also no guarantees of us winning enough of our remaining games with our horrible form away from home (bar the north east). But at the end of the day, anywhere in the top six would be excellent given our position this time last year and I will be pleased if we're in the EUFA Cup next season. That said, I really hope we can push to them all right to the wire and with a little luck we may finish 4th!!!

I'd have agreed with you before Bolton played Boro. Now I think it's about 50/50 between them and us for the last spot. They have 2 games at hand, but a rougher schedule ahead.

it could all hinge on mondays game this

beat wigan, we eliminate them from the chase, and give us a welcome 3 points going into some tough games

brum and pompey will be very tough games

fighters always grind out results at this time of year

it could all hinge on mondays game this

beat wigan, we eliminate them from the chase, and give us a welcome 3 points going into some tough games

brum and pompey will be very tough games

fighters always grind out results at this time of year

394730[/snapback]

brum and portsmouth away, are games we need to win to make 4th imo.

the league doesn't lie and they are not at the bottom of the table for being good teams, their defences are crap and they don't score goals.

yeah the battle to survive the drop sometimes produce surprise results and

they have have fighters, but we have fighters too, fighting for champions league and europe. bring em on!!!

WEll I'd rather not get fourth, than get fourth and be denied a Champions(and runners up and 3rd and 4th) league place because Arsenal won it.  So I say the sooner they are out of it the better.  WE are more than capable of winning 14 points.

394374[/snapback]

But finishing a place higher in the league means an extra £500k in prize money!

I cant wait for the weekend. With rovers getting a monday fixture we get the chance to see how other results have gone before we play.

Hopefully Spurs, Arsenal & bolton could all slip up and that would give rovers a real boost going into the Wigan game.

I think one thing's for sure, we haven't seen a finish to the season like this for many a year. I can't remember the last time I have checked the league table on a daily basis and with such interest. Although it's nerve-racking, the fact that Spurs, Arsenal, Wankies, West Ham etc have all probably got the same sort of interest and fully believe that their team can clinch that last Champions League spot.

As for the uncertainty that is surrounding the apropriate qualifications with regards final league position, I think the powers that be should simply award the top-four a Champions League spot and then the next three/two a UEFA Cup spot (or however they want to have it). Whether or not a club has won a cup (or indeed merely getting to the final of a domestic cup), this should not have any bearings on who qualifies for Europe. I think it is a farce that the likes of Millwall, who got to the final of the cup a few years ago, can go into Europe in place of the likes of a Premiership team that has performed well over the course of the season.

If UEFA decide that they DO want the winners of the competition to qualify for next years tournament, then I think they should try to incorporate them into the competition without disturbing the league-qualified teams.

• Backroom
Whether or not a club has won a cup (or indeed merely getting to the final of a domestic cup), this should not have any bearings on who qualifies for Europe. I think it is a farce that the likes of Millwall, who got to the final of the cup a few years ago, can go into Europe in place of the likes of a Premiership team that has performed well over the course of the season.

394765[/snapback]

Firstly, didn't the UEFA cup start life as being a 'Cup Winners Cup' ?

Secondly, (based on my first point above) Hence Swansea getting in after winning the Welsh cup (and I'm sure Wrexham went in as runners up didn't they?)

Although it's nerve-racking, the fact that Spurs, Arsenal, Wankies, West Ham etc have all probably got the same sort of interest and fully believe that their team can clinch that last Champions League spot.

394765[/snapback]

You're wrong there. We are BRFC fans, which means we support Blackburn more passionately than other fans support their team. biggrin.gif